• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing for a week (on and off) and this is what I can say. Please note I can't actually say too much because the review embargo is set for tomorrow @ 6AM EST, so I'll keep it short until then out of respect for UBI.

The game is very disappointing. It feels like a free DLC more than anything. It's very repetitive and shallow. I'll tell you more tomorrow in my official review.
Is stealth still viable for taking over outposts or do they somehow force you to use guns?

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
I've been playing for a week (on and off) and this is what I can say. Please note I can't actually say too much because the review embargo is set for tomorrow @ 6AM EST, so I'll keep it short until then out of respect for UBI.

The game is very disappointing. It feels like a free DLC more than anything. It's very repetitive and shallow. I'll tell you more tomorrow in my official review.
Yup, sharing the same feelings unfortunately. Huge disappointment coming from Far Cry 5.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the OST will be anywhere near as good as FC5'S was.
It's a pretty big tonal shift. Although the menu theme is very on point. Poignant and kinda mournful.

There's an interview with the composers. This section stands out:
JS: We wanted to make this a completely clean start, so, if anything, we made sure that the guitars did not reflect the Appalachian type of quality represented by the guitars in Far Cry 5.

TB: I think the reason we wanted a clean start was to represent that, while this is the same geographical location as Far Cry 5, it's a totally different world. We wanted the sounds to be "echoes" of that past world. Take the rebuilt instruments we talked about earlier. The guitar was a part of Far Cry 5's score, and so too in ours, but the way the instrument is used in both is very different.
So essentially they went out of their way to make the game not sound like FC5. It's not just the Dan Romer guitars they've left behind. The synth-driven Hammock sound is gone, too. I dunno how I feel about that. Far Cry 5 has an INCREDIBLE soundtrack. Just amazing from start to finish. Every variation. New Dawn kinda feels different for the sake of being different. Which is a bold move, to be fair. The safe option would have been to bring back as much of FC5's beloved soundtrack as possible for nostalgia value

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I recently finished Far Cry 5 and I was quite surprised by the ending. New Dawn was already announced but it was only then that I made the connection.

I'm not sure if I want to get this asap, but I do think the presopect of playing in this post-nuclear world quite appealing. I wonder how much the gameplay will be improved?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was watching some stream footage of the game.

The difficulty seems way, way higher than FC5, at least when tackling strengthened outposts gun blazing. And they've nerfed stealth a bit. You can still stealth kill enemies, and they've bought back knife kills, but if you've got some tougher enemies you can't just walk up behind them and stab them to death with a one hit kill. New Dawn seems to be trying to encourage the player to tackle outposts and expeditions through escalating difficulty. Instead of becoming weaker and weaker as you progress through the game, these outposts and expeditions become more and more difficult. They've reversed the difficulty curve of most open world games.

I do wonder whether this increased focus on the loop, on the emergent gameplay that arises from tackling an objective repeatedly will result in the game being a bit more polarising than its predecessors. I feel like some of these changes will upset some people, but they're designed to address complaints that have existed since Far Cry 2. In the original Far Cry, outposts were HARD. Like, really, really hard. The fortresses in Far Cry 4 were probably the only exception. But since Far Cry 2, the difficulty curve got more and more forgiving. And stealth became extremely exploitable. In FC5, you can just stealth kill your way though an entire camp without all that much difficulty once you've got the mechanics down pat. And even if they raise the alarm, they're not THAT much of a threat on most difficulties.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
All I want is Far Cry 5 but with actual outposts.
5 was disappointing to me because it had the least outposts out of them all and they were my favorite part.
New Dawn having them and also letting you reset them at a higher level sounds like a good step in the right direction to me.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The RPG like stuff is disappointing but the core gameplay of 5 was so good that I'm still hyped as hell.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm probably going to pass on this. I'm a big FC fan, been since pretty much FC1, and my dav game of the franchise is FC2, but honestly, the last thing I want in a Far Cry game is bullet sponginess because of RPG elements.
I love these systems in The Division and I don't mind super armored bosses there, but in Far Cry, meh.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main theme is pretty nice. But I can't help but feel like these year-later reskins are just cynical cashgrabs. Zero enthusiasm eventhough I enjoyed FC5 (eventhough I hated the structure of main quest and mute moron protagonist).

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Feels a bit more focused than Far Cry 5 and actually provides the ending that I wanted from that game.

Gave it a 4 out of 5 at USG.

And the enemies feels fine if you keep up with their range.

The difficulty seems way, way higher than FC5, at least when tackling strengthened outposts gun blazing. And they've nerfed stealth a bit. You can still stealth kill enemies, and they've bought back knife kills, but if you've got some tougher enemies you can't just walk up behind them and stab them to death with a one hit kill.

There's a set of perks that allows you to stealth kill enemies above Level 1. One each for Level 2, 3, and Elite.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it's going to be in the mid to low 70's for the average. Not too surprising for a spin off title.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thank God. So full stealth is viable for outposts?

Yeah, I didn't have a problem, outside of enemies hiding in squirrely spots indoors.

Does new level system has big impact on exploration and freedom to do things any way or order you want?

I kept up with the stealth perks and the Weapons station in prosperity, which determines which level of weapons you can craft.

So for me, no. It's less of a problem than Origins or Odyssey. You can generally take something a Level ahead of you, it just takes a little longer. Two levels though, that's far harder. So taking on a Level 3 with Level 1 weapons is difficult. the fact that there are only four levels in total means you're never really that far away.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Does new level system has big impact on exploration and freedom to do things any way or order you want?

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I liked 5 but this spin off title makes me feel fatigued about the whole series. Well played Ubisoft i guess... if you want to fatigue the player base.

Also not a fan at all about making a shooter like FC into an RPG lite. I want my headshots to be 1 hit kills in my shooters. Gtfo with your bulletsponge enemies.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I was watching some stream footage of the game.

The difficulty seems way, way higher than FC5, at least when tackling strengthened outposts gun blazing. And they've nerfed stealth a bit. You can still stealth kill enemies, and they've bought back knife kills, but if you've got some tougher enemies you can't just walk up behind them and stab them to death with a one hit kill. New Dawn seems to be trying to encourage the player to tackle outposts and expeditions through escalating difficulty. Instead of becoming weaker and weaker as you progress through the game, these outposts and expeditions become more and more difficult. They've reversed the difficulty curve of most open world games.

I do wonder whether this increased focus on the loop, on the emergent gameplay that arises from tackling an objective repeatedly will result in the game being a bit more polarising than its predecessors. I feel like some of these changes will upset some people, but they're designed to address complaints that have existed since Far Cry 2. In the original Far Cry, outposts were HARD. Like, really, really hard. The fortresses in Far Cry 4 were probably the only exception. But since Far Cry 2, the difficulty curve got more and more forgiving. And stealth became extremely exploitable. In FC5, you can just stealth kill your way though an entire camp without all that much difficulty once you've got the mechanics down pat. And even if they raise the alarm, they're not THAT much of a threat on most difficulties.

I thought it was easier than Far Cry 5.

Oh thank God. So full stealth is viable for outposts?

Stealth is very much viable. You just have to be careful with your surroundings.

Oct 2, 2018
wow. this is out already? I feel like I just played FC5? I havent touched RDR2 or spiderman. This will have to go in the discount bin

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really need to go finish FC5 at some point, I enjoyed it alot and stopped on the 2nd area to clear

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
WorthPlaying said:
As an overall package, Far Cry New Dawn delivers a focused expansion of the world that was established in Far Cry 5. You don't need to play the prior game to enjoy what's here, but those who have done so will come into New Dawn with a greater appreciation of the world and the characters. The more limited scope means no add-on features (like Far Cry Arcade) and no season pass, but it also allowed for some experimentation that you don't usually see in a AAA title.

https://worthplaying.com/article/2019/2/14/reviews/112927/

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews seem to be about what I expected. I had a lot of fun with Far Cry 5, so there is no doubt I'll enjoy this one too. Will pick it up for sure.

megathemiis

Oct 27, 2017
Here is my review in Greek: https://unboxholics.com/game-reviews/ps4/60258-far-cry-new-dawn-review

I had some fun with the game but I also have a lot of complaints. The whole package gives the feeling that it is more of an expansion than a proper standalone game. The new Light RPG elements need some work in my opinion. I was able to get an overpowered weapon relatively early on and the game was a walk in the park after that. I think that the game is made only for those who loved Far Cry 5 and just want some more before the next mainline game arrives.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

This is largely what I noted in my review as well. It's a standalone game, sure, but part of the context and enjoyment is seeing locations and characters from Far Cry 5 re-contextualized.

New Dawn benefits from the context of Far Cry 5. You can play it by itself, but many of the missions are a greatest hits of the locations you saw in FC5. The statue of the Father is a ruined husk that once burned forever due to the gas pipes and the flames caused by your actions in Far Cry 5. The bunker near John Seed's ranch is a waterlogged mess, with fish and alligators living in its depths. The main street of Fall's End is now a militarized outpost.

If you loved FC5, I'd definitely pick this up.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who LOVED FC5 I was disappointed after finishing it. The main story feels rushed, gameplay is the same and everything is so mediocre.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is New Dawn getting a separate review thread? Both Crackdown 3 and Metro have one, but I guess those are surrounded by controversy wheras New Dawn is more low key.

megathemiis

Oct 27, 2017
Are we talking lucky loot drop or crafting related?
You can also buy weapons with microtransactions which can make the game extremely easy, as an elite weapon destroys almost every enemy in the game. In my case before doing most of the campaign I explored the map as I tend to do in every open world game and I freed all the outposts. As I mainly upgraded the weapon station in my home base, that gave me the ability to craft Level 3 weapons before doing most of the other stuff and so I was overpowered. Most of the players probably wont 'exploit' the system in that way, but it is something that happened with my play-style. I'm sure though that I'm not the only one who does side content first.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Far Cry 5 was my second favorite game of last year, so even though this mostly seems to just be more of that, I'm still excited to play it.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
How's the writing for the twins?
Also are the Prepper Stashes back or some kind of similar puzzles?

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
More interested in this than I was in Far Cry 5, which was the first one in the Ubisoft series I skipped.

If it reviews well I'll pick it up, nothing quite like Far Cry.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Ubisoft would let me play as the dog... I guess that would be Okami.

I'm ok with that.

Troll_Brah

Oct 25, 2017
Does New Dawn allow for non coop hosts to keep their progress (like wildlands) or is it the same host only progress from FC5 which was a total bummer.