• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I played New Dawn right after Far Cry 5 and loved it. Far Cry 5 is beautiful and pretty fun, but I really didn't like how weapon progression worked and man the random out-of-nowhere kidnappings were awful (especially getting kidnapped while....paragliding!)

New Dawn completely changes up Far Cry progression, is astoundingly beautiful, and has a ton of fun weapons. Highly recommended!

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I loved 4 and thought it had the best & most visually impressive location.

The verticality was amazing and something almost no sandbox game brings. Climbing mountains and parachuting down was incredibly satisfying.

Most people don't talk about 4 though, so I'm in the minority on that.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked 2 and 3. My favorite is the first on PC, though. Not sure if "Far Cry Classic" on console is the same game though. Kinda like how Crysis on consoles (er... the 360 version at least) is just a different game than the PC version I loved.

Personally, I'd be worried about getting burned out on Far Cry games if you're looking to play the new one, though. I mean... it's easy to get burned out on just ONE Far Cry game if you don't bee-line IMO.

edit: Oh right, I think I thought 4 was alright, too. I still wish they made some DLC where you could SPOILER:"partner up" with Pagan Minh instead of the other two choices you're presented in the game, though

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
There is no continuity to the series, any one of them can be your first and I don't see how playing any of the previous ones would make the experience of 6 any different at all. You just play whichever ones have the most appealing setting.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Far Cry 1 - Solid but outdated (with a ridiculous difficulty if you don't patch/mod), since its from the creators of Crysis, it feels more like a predecessor to that, so its a skip.
Far Cry 2 - Depends, its a solid open world with some very unique mechanics and the most realistic approach of the franchise.
Far Cry 3 - The gamechanger, pretty much a must play at this point.
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - A must, specially for the 80s nostalgia.
Far Cry 4 - Technically Far Cry 3.5, it improves on most aspect from 3 and has a solid plot.
Far Cry Primal - This is the point (for me) where the games begin to get cookie cutter but it offers a unique setting and mechanics.
Far Cry 5 - Its good, a nice evolution from 3-4 with the open world being more free to play as you like. Story is a mix bag though.
Far Cry New Dawn - Ehh, if you really liked 5, you might get just a bit more out of it with this one since its technically a direct sequel. Otherwise its a skip.

Honestly I think just playing 3, Blood Dragon and 5 should be good enough to get a solid grasp on the franchise. Everything else is either a skip or bonus for those who are fans of these type of games like myself.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
After playing a bunch of 3 I couldn't even get into 5 which I only tried last year. So even after a bunch of years of a break from it the Far Cry formula was still worn out to me. Just play 6.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to do anything Far Cry before 6, play Blood Dragon. It's not the best in the series, but it is short so you won't feel the burnout when you start with the new game. It stylistically very different, but it should give you a nice overview of the gameplay loop.

If you want a mainline entry, I'd pick 4 over 3. haven't played 5 yet.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
1 is a proto-Crysis, and 2 is a weird in-between on the way to the formula they started with 3 after Crytek moved on, so while they're fine to play they won't be representative of what to expect with 6. Any of 3, 4, 5, or New Dawn are fine to start (Primal is different enough that I'd say wait until you know you like them). That said, I wouldn't start with Far Cry 3 Classic unless you can play it on pc. Maybe there's some Series X enhancements that help but when I played it last year on my One X it was framey as fuck. Not unplayable but that sucked, so to have that be the first full experience when you have options seems unideal (totally worth playing in the end, though).

I'd echo the warning against marathoning them ahead of 6, that's a lot of similar gameplay back to back. Pick one, go nuts in it, then give the formula a breather before going into 6.

May 10, 2019
I would just jump right into 5 and don't look back. It's a decent Far Cry game and as some have already said, it's game design/controls/concept is the base line 6 will most likely start from. It also has some gorgeous visual candy and music to match it.

Burn out can/will happen with Far Cry games but its something you can only gauge as you play through it. I enjoyed 2 and especially 3 but 4 was were I had burn out the most quickly but did finish it. Want to play New Dawn or Primal but I'm going to wait till after I play 6.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Far Cry 5 just doesn't cut it and the switch to ballistics from hitscan fails to improve on combat encounters. Honestly, assault rifles and snipers perform quite bad past certain distances, especially compared to past games.

You won't forget the forced kidnappings either, while New Dawn's level tiers are incredibly lame. Far Cry 3 and 4 are much better options, but you can't go wrong with Blood Dragon.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
FarCry 3 was the best but can feel dated now, 4 was really good

5 is worth a shot its not terrible and is probably more in line with how 6 is designed. The spin offs could all be pretty much skipped tbh, best one was Blood Dragon but that feels pretty outdated now imo

(1 and 2 dont even bother they are.....so old)

OP
OP
greekappi

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts, this has been very informative! I think after reading everything I will play Far Cry 3 and once that's over just see how I'm feeling about the whole thing. Interesting how the first Far Cry game you play is the best because the first I played was 4 and I thought it was SO cool, but didn't get too far. I'll see how it goes with 3, then probably not play any others for a while and then if I'm hankering for more by the time 6 comes out I'll just go for that.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything from Far Cry 3 onward is more or less the same formula with different maps. Some gimmicks were added along the way, but the basic structure is the same.

Far Cry 2 is the most unique, and sort of an underground favorite. Guns can jam, you've got malaria from the start, everything is flammable, guard posts are everywhere. It's a neat experience, but fairly detached from the current games. Fun to see where they could have gone, the game has some strong ideas about what it wants to be.

Far Cry 1 is a completely different game depending on where you play it. The PC version was made by Crytek, and is a fairly straightforward shooter with large open levels. Sort of like Crysis that came after it. While that version eventually came to consoles, the one released way back was called Far Cry Instincts, which was developed by Ubisoft. Haven't played that one as much, but it was weird at the time to have a console Far Cry game be an entirely different thing.

But as many have already said, I wouldn't play through them all at once. They're near identical progression ladders and it's easy to get burned out on them. I say that as someone who does like the franchise quite a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't play any. You're going to get burned out by the time 6 hits, and I say that as a general fan.

4 is the best of the modern ones though. 3 is overrated garbage in the story department tbh.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
You can probably do the entire series in 3 games from distinct eras.

The original Far Cry game or perhaps controversially, Far Cry Instincts are good retro experiences and a nice look at where the series has come from.

Far Cry 2 is a divisive game because of some of its mechanics are quite punishing. Weapon degradation, malaria etc. Behind that is an interesting game but would strongly recommend you look into some mods. Worth a look to see where the series was before...

Far Cry 3. Like others have said you don't need to play 4 or 5 after this. 3 set the standard and is the foundation the sequels since have just added bells and whistles to. Arguably 3 has the best story.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how good Far Cry 5 runs on PS5. Picked it up on sale up for $15 and I've been having a bunch of fun with it. I really appreciated that moment in the tutorial where you are climbing the radio tower and the guy you are working with radios to say "Don't worry, I won't have you climbing towers all over the county." It has some of the repetition that earlier games have, but it feels a lot better to me.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Dude this isn't Metal Gear Solid or Mass Effect lmao.

These are pretty cookie cutter, generic, Ubisoft open world games that are churned out every 2 years for Ubi to fill their yearly AAA quota.

It's like asking if you need to play the previous FIFA games to understand the new one.

As someone who has platinumed and 100% completed all of the Far Cry games post FC3 you're honestly better off just waiting for FC6 and play that.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Dude this isn't Metal Gear Solid or Mass Effect lmao.

These are pretty cookie cutter, generic, Ubisoft open world games that are churned out every 2 years for Ubi to fill their yearly AAA quota.

It's like asking if you need to play the previous FIFA games to understand the new one.

As someone who has platinumed and 100% completed all of the Far Cry games post FC3 you're honestly better off just waiting for FC6 and play that.

Still think 4 is worth checking out and pretty neat, especially due to the verticality, an ethnic cast that you don't really see in games and a protagonist with a dope name (Ah-Jay Gah-le!). Having Troy Baker voice an Asian antagonist is pretty fucking lame in retrospect as it mostly amounts to stunt casting really.. and it's weird, like Laura Bailey voicing a black woman.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Essentially, what would be the best way to experience the Far Cry....uh experience, before 6 comes out, to get in the mood for it. 3, 4, 5? Primal? New Dawn? Skip any? Go for them all? Help.

Start with Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. This is Far Cry distilled down to its core. Easily the single, MUST OWN title in the entire franchise.

Otherwise, it really depends on what kind of environment you want?

Tropical islands? - Far Cry 3
Mountains? - Far Cry 4

I will say that Pagan Min is a great enemy, and Far Cry 4 is worth playing, if you have the time.

Far Cry 5 evolves the gameplay a bit, though you'll find people mixed on the story (I loved the path it took, some hated it). It's also amazingly beautiful, especially on a HDR screen. Probably my favorite Far Cry title after Blood Dragon.

Far Cry 5 also has a solid season pass (which includes Far Cry 3) and Far Cry Arcade.

New Dawn is a sequel to Far Cry 5. It's a neon covered post-nuke apocalyptic wasteland. Plays similarly to Far Cry 5 (modified version of the same map), but adds on Expeditions, which are smaller, isolated maps that can only be reached via chopper. It sometimes gets written off as a cash-in, but I thought it was enjoyable and creative.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Far Cry 3: The easiest to pick up and get addicted to. The island is really fun to explore, the tropical setting is colorful and stimulating and there are tons of fun little secrets to discover. The first antagonist is memorable and has some great moments but the story goes south pretty quickly and results in a "two choices" ending where one of the choices makes no sense and the right choice results in a cool character being an asshole. Still, even with the dumb story my memories of the game are extremely positive. I was hooked.

Far Cry Blood Dragon: Neon-soaked post-80's parody of Far Cry and 80's sci-fi movies. The main character is voiced by Michael Biehn (Aliens, Terminator) and the soundtrack is an awesome, atmospheric synthpop score by Power Glove. I fucking love Blood Dragon. Everyone loves Blood Dragon. Ubisoft are insane for not wanting to do a sequel.

Far Cry 4: Really interesting mountain-based landscapes with fun terrain to traverse and some kickass weapons and gear to play with. Despite having a spectacular intro, the story is fucking terrible. The intriguing villain vanishes for 85% of the game and you're mostly picking sides between the two groups that are both fighting to save the country. This results in an even more insulting set of choices, as regardless of the team you side with, you will be betrayed in really stupid ways. If this doesn't bother you it's still a lot of fun.

Far Cry 5: Pretty unique setting for a Far Cry game, it's straight up deep woods Montana, USA. Lots of forests, mountains, bears and eagles to fight, log cabins to loot, fish to catch and even dogs to befriend. I made the mistake of getting interested in the religious cult-based story only to learn about the awful, awful ending through a Polygon article. As with previous Far Cry games, you get two "choices" in the end. The "bad ending" is pretty bleak and unhappy. The "good ending" is essentially the unhappiest ending you could ever imagine. Most people who reached this point were pissed off and felt that their time was wasted. But again, if you're not playing for the story? It doesn't matter. Far Cry 5 is still a blast.

Far Cry: New Dawn: often viewed as a cheap cash grab, Far Cry New Dawn is best experienced via co-op. The game is a direct sequel to Far Cry 5, taking place 20(?) years after the "good" ending with a post-apocolyptic, almost "mad max in pink neon" aesthetic. It's about half the length of previous Far Cry games and it's technically the same map from 5 but the weapons are weird, make-shift toys, many of the animals have been mutated, the powers that you unlock (yes powers) in the skill tree are dumb but also really fun to play with. My buddy and I had a lot of laughs during summer lockdown playing this together. The story is dumb. It's not as insulting as the previous few games but it's also kind of nothing. It's also a huge wasted opportunity to have POC protagonists but whatever, that's another conversation.

New Dawn is a sequel to Far Cry 5. It's a neon covered post-nuke apocalyptic wasteland. Plays similarly to Far Cry 5 (modified version of the same map), but adds on Expeditions, which are smaller, isolated maps that can only be reached via chopper. It sometimes gets written off as a cash-in, but I thought it was enjoyable and creative.
Yep, it was kind of a cash-in but I had a lot of fun taking down mutated creatures in co-op. Really happy I played it.

Hazmat

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
Honestly, Far Cry 3, 4, 5, and New Dawn are so similar that I can't imagine playing them anywhere close to each other. And since I expect more of the same from 6 if I were you I'd just wait for FC6.

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
Play Far Cry 2, which is the best in the series. Anyone who says otherwise is not your friend and is actively trying to lead you astray.

Then go play #4 for a bit, skip 5 and wait for 6.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
1 and 2 are literally completely different games and are fine to skip. If you want what some consider the greatest hits, play 3 or 4. If you want what you can expect from the most recent game most likely, play 5 and New Dawn. As others said, please do not play the entire series. You will burn out impossibly bad.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I tried playing New Dawn but it didn't feel like Far Cry. Felt like someone dipped Far Cry 5 into The Division and Rage sauces, but not in a good way. I liked Far Cry 5 a lot, despite the phantom sucker punches and continued poor writing since Far Cry 3.

Far Cry 2 should be tried. It can get old really fast with the a lot of poor mission design and extremely poor AI. Still, it had ideas that should've been kept.

Oct 26, 2017
Play Far Cry 3. Want more Far Cry 3? Play Far Cry 4. Want more Far Cry 3? Play Far Cry 5. Still want more Far Cry 3? Then you're ready for Far Cry 6.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
4 is best Far Cry.

Also 3 and 5 are worth playing but structurally they are very similiar (and 6 will likely be too) so I wouldn't overdo it in a short period of time.
That being said, it isn't like there are other games on the market that do what Far Cry does. Open world arcadey sandboxy fps... you'd think there'd be more alternatives.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I think Far Cry 4 is the best gameplay-wise, but Far Cry 3 is still pretty great overall. I played the HD version a year or so ago and it was still a lot of fun.

Far Cry 5 is annoying, story-wise but New Dawn is solid.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I played 5 and then 3 and then New Dawn. I enjoyed each one. Recently bought 4 and Primal in a set and own classic on PS3. I think I played 2 at some point but didn't get very far.

I had the most fun with 5 tbh,the ending didn't bother me like it did with so many others. I was like, okay, that's what happensšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I liked 3 best. But if you want to "prepare", then don't play anything, FC6 will probably be the same old repetitive gameplay since FC3 and you're likely to get burned out if you play them all.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Do people agree you should drop FC3 after
Vaas dies
? I did it because whatever came after seemed unnecessary.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. It's actually so bad it completely shocks me that anybody could say otherwise.

Well, I'm nothing if not complicated.

I can't think of many games like it. It is undoubtedly a frustrating experience at times, even actively belligerent towards the player (which, in itself is kind of brilliant given the story), but when you learn its quirks and take your time with it, it's incredibly rewarding. FC3 onwards took all the wrong lessons from it.

My only issue with it is the exploitative setting. Had real issues with it to the point I had a bit of an existential crisis while playing šŸ˜„

Snipe someone from within foliage from 300 yards away and somehow the entire base knows where you are immediately and you're surrounded. What.

Not in my experience. I've cleared bases regularly with just a silenced pistol and a pair of binoculars without alerting anyone, and I'm not anything special. Perhaps you either didn't use a silencer or didn't realise there were guards near your position already.

Last edited:

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Era! Ok, so I own all the Far Cry games in some fashion or another, PS4, Xbox, Games with Gold, Game Pass, what have you. I wanted to play through them all before 6 comes out, just for fun (don't know why else you would play games) and am wondering if I should just skip 1 and 2 and start off with Far Cry 3, I have a remastered version of some sort on Xbox. I have only played the beginnings of 3, a decent amount of 4, and barely the beginning of 5.

I got the original for super cheap, I believe it is called Far Cry Classic, so it's got some improvements over the initial release I suppose. Well, I'm pretty unimpressed with this and it seems like a HUGE pain in the ass to play this game. Is it a product of its time and I should just move on? What about 2? I heard that was amazing but is it also a product of its time?

Essentially, what would be the best way to experience the Far Cry....uh experience, before 6 comes out, to get in the mood for it. 3, 4, 5? Primal? New Dawn? Skip any? Go for them all? Help.

Thanks!
Just play 6. Far cry 5 got so boring about halfway through that it felt like a chore to finish.