• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ibrahimo

May 20, 2020
Another new skin, and new villain. When are they gonna add more shit to do instead of kill kill hunt hunt.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope this game is every so slightly different than the last 5 or so. After FC5 I don't really want to play anything in the franchise if it's the same rote BS.

Oct 24, 2019
Hot take: CGI trailers are fine if it's there to introduce the would-be players to the game and gameplay can come later.

CGI trailers are fucking great. People don't seem to understand that you simply cannot introduce players to the setting, characters, story, tone, etc. in a gameplay trailer as effectively as you can in a CGI trailer.

CGI trailers SHOULD be the first thing we see to give us a taste of what this world is, why we should care, who the characters are, etc. THEN give us the gameplay trailer that dives deeper into the actual minute to minute stuff.

It's maddening to me that some people have such a fanatical disdain for CGI trailers

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
CGI trailers are fucking great. People don't seem to understand that you simply cannot introduce players to the setting, characters, story, tone, etc. in a gameplay trailer as effectively as you can in a CGI trailer.

CGI trailers SHOULD be the first thing we see to give us a taste of what this world is, why we should care, who the characters are, etc. THEN give us the gameplay trailer that dives deeper into the actual minute to minute stuff.

It's maddening to me that some people have such a fanatical disdain for CGI trailers
I disagree with this. I would vastly prefer to see what kind of gameplay experience I'll be getting first, and then see a fuller idea of the setting and narrative information later.

I must be in the minority, 5 was my favorite far cry game 🤷‍♂️
I wouldn't say its my favorite, but I really enjoy it a lot and don't quite understand why it gets trashed on fairly often.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Mexico?

Edit: I didn't realize all that other stuff leaked Cuba is nice

Last edited:

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
I love Giancarlo Esposito, but isn't this a bit too typecast? I'm really hoping the character isn't too much of a Gus Fring copy.

Izzwan

Oct 27, 2017
Malaysia
I'm struggling to think what else they can do with the current Far Cry formula to make it interesting for me again. 3, 4 & 5 just felt too similar to each other.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for Giancarlo and the return of Vaas

tumblr_pswk4uhfEN1qb4op4o5_500.gifv
Yeah, me too. I'm a big Better Call Saul fan. This should be very interesting and I don't even know what the gameplay will be like. They have me on these two people.

Thankfully I haven't played a Far Cry since FC3 so I'm not burned out at all. It's actually the only Far Cry I played, mainly because of the "Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?".

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
From the PSN HK description

"Anton Castillo is intent on restoring his nation back to its former glory by any means, with his son, Diego, following in his bloody footsteps. Their ruthless oppression has ignited a revolution"
Ubi still saying their games aren't political?

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Do Ubisoft just have these teasers ready to go for all their upcoming games in case they leak?

Swear the same thing happened for AC Odyssey.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
That lighter looked surprisingly modern, and that looks like a proper city in the background? Is this going to be the first Far Cry with cities full of skyscrapers or at least some tall buildings?

I just hope we see lots of terrain variation closer to Far Cry 4. I loved the mountain setting, it was perfect for Far Cry.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That lighter looked surprisingly modern, and that looks like a proper city in the background? Is this going to be the first Far Cry with cities full of skyscrapers or at least some tall buildings?

I just hope we see lots of terrain variation closer to Far Cry 4. I loved the mountain setting, it was perfect for Far Cry.
Far Cry 4 was disappointing because every area actually looked pretty much exactly the same.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
basically the same thing since FC3
Welcome to the far cry series, we've got

- unsatisfying gunplay
- no enemy variety
- the least memorable side characters you've ever met who also manage to be constantly annoying
- a bland protagonist
- insanely repetitive mission design
- an open world with absolutely no discerning landmarks
- floaty and weird driving
- a boring skill tree to make it "skyrim with guns!" (Or in primal's case, skyrim without guns except worse feeling combat feedback somehow)
- a radio with like 10 songs and none of them are notable
- a laughable paper thin story

But oh did we mention we have a *wacky villain*

My dream is they go back to Far Cry 2's premise and refine it instead of whatever the fuck the series has been since 2012

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
i feel like thats been the case with every far cry since far cry 3. i really liked the melee combat upgrades in FC3, but they have basically turned their game into a shooter now and have done little to nothing to evolve the franchise since FC3 which was a last gen game.

FC4 felt dated and boring, and FC5 literally felt like a worse FC3. The series needs a hard reboot and seeing as how they made this a current gen game, i highly doubt this would be any different than FC5.

I cannot disagree.

Although I enjoyed FC4, it was a clear step down from FC3, and FC5 was an even bigger step down... it was like they stopped trying to innovate at all and just pushed out a re-skinned FC3 but with worse setting and less meaningful gameplay variety.

The bigger problems are with the mission variety. Ubisoft seems to think that the sandbox approach is best for damn near every mission. FC is of course a very open-ended sandbox type game in terms of its gameplay structure, but the main story missions absolutely need to be able to switch things up radically, sometimes limited play options, while sometimes opening up unique and exclusive mechanics in order to keep things feeling fresh.

When every mission amounts to, "here's the same set of tools, play however you like", players will tend to gravitate towards a favoured strategy and lean on it consistently throughout the rest of the game, making the game feel more rote and formulaic than it actually needs to feel.

Honestly speaking, playing Days Gone shortly after finishing FC5 felt like an absolute revelation in this regard.

Everyone shits on EA, but i think ubisoft's output this gen has been far worse because of how consistently mediocre they have been all gen. I would say Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Dragon Age Inquisition and Titanfall were all far better than any of the mediocre AC, Watch Dogs, Division, Far Cry and Ghost Recon games Ubisoft put out this gen.

Anthem and ME:Andromeda certainly were not.
AC BF, Unity, Syndicate, Origins and Odyssey were great to excellent games.
WD1 was flawed but genuinely something new. WD2 was better in every way aside from the story's second act which went to shit a bit.
The Division 1 was one of the best games this generation. I never played TD2, so cannot comment on that.

Only really FC and GR dropped the ball on the Ubisoft side.

Even Dragon Age Inquisition, while a very good game, was still a disappointing and in many ways an underwhelming Dragon Age and Bioware game.

I think EA gets more shit because it's devs like Bioware have a much more distinguished pedigree and thus gamers (rightly) expect more from them when their work degrades to the level of Anthem, ME:Andromeda and to a lesser extent DA:I.

I don't think Ubisoft's devs have ever made a GOTY/GOTG-level game. And that's fine. Ubisoft is more like the fast-food gaming company, whose games you entertain yourself with throughout the year while you wait for the real blockbusters to launch.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot disagree.

Although I enjoyed FC4, it was a clear step down from FC3, and FC5 was an even bigger step down... it was like they stopped trying to innovate at all and just pushed out a re-skinned FC3 but with worse setting and less meaningful gameplay variety.

The bigger problems are with the mission variety. Ubisoft seems to think that the sandbox approach is best for damn near every mission. FC is of course a very open-ended sandbox type game in terms of its gameplay structure, but the main story missions absolutely need to be able to switch things up radically, sometimes limited play options, while sometimes opening up unique and exclusive mechanics in order to keep things feeling fresh.

When every mission amounts to, "here's the same set of tools, play however you like", players will tend to gravitate towards a favoured strategy and lean on it consistently throughout the rest of the game, making the game feel more rote and formulaic than it actually needs to feel.

Honestly speaking, playing Days Gone shortly after finishing FC5 felt like an absolute revelation in this regard.

Anthem and ME:Andromeda certainly were not.
AC BF, Unity, Syndicate, Origins and Odyssey were great to excellent games.
WD1 was flawed but genuinely something new. WD2 was better in every way aside from the story's second act which went to shit a bit.
The Division 1 was one of the best games this generation. I never played TD2, so cannot comment on that.

Only really FC and GR dropped the ball on the Ubisoft side.

Even Dragon Age Inquisition, while a very good game, was still a disappointing and in many ways an underwhelming Dragon Age and Bioware game.

I think EA gets more shit because it's devs like Bioware have a much more distinguished pedigree and thus gamers (rightly) expect more from them when their work degrades to the level of Anthem, ME:Andromeda and to a lesser extent DA:I.

I don't think Ubisoft's devs have ever made a GOTY/GOTG-level game. And that's fine. Ubisoft is more like the fast-food gaming company, whose games you entertain yourself with throughout the year while you wait for the real blockbusters to launch.
thats a good way to describe ubisoft games. lol.

I actually liked Watch Dogs 1 too. it was definitely something new and I really liked the hacking and car chases. Same with Origins. Great first game, but like with Watch dogs 2 and Odyssey, they just cannot seem to make that Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 jump or Mass effect 1 to Mass Effect 2 jump for whatever reason. To me, if the biggest or second biggest publisher isnt even trying to win GOTYs, they have failed just as badly as Bioware failed with Andromeda and Anthem. The only difference is that Anthem and Andromeda had some excellent gameplay that IMO go toe to toe with some of the best games in the genre. I just dont get that from Ubisoft games, and while I might have a positive impression of the game when playing them, looking back on them is a different story.

Aside from gameplay, they dont seem to be able to get the story right. Far Cry doesnt even try anymore with their might as well be mute protagonists and focus on baddies who only show up a few times to make speeches while AC and Watch Dogs are non-existent. Say what you will about Andromeda's facial animations, the story was still better than all of Ubisoft's efforts combined. Anthem oddly enough felt like a ubisoft story.

I think if Ubisoft can hire some great combat designers and some actual writers, they will probably feature a bit more in the goty talks.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the far cry series, we've got

- unsatisfying gunplay
- no enemy variety
- the least memorable side characters you've ever met who also manage to be constantly annoying
- a bland protagonist
- insanely repetitive mission design
- an open world with absolutely no discerning landmarks
- floaty and weird driving
- a boring skill tree to make it "skyrim with guns!" (Or in primal's case, skyrim without guns except worse feeling combat feedback somehow)
- a radio with like 10 songs and none of them are notable
- a laughable paper thin story

But oh did we mention we have a *wacky villain*

My dream is they go back to Far Cry 2's premise and refine it instead of whatever the fuck the series has been since 2012
i actually liked Far Cry 3 way more than Far cry 2. in fact, it might have been my goty in 2012 because iirc everyone else was losing their shit over Journey and Walking dead that year, and i was like really?

FC3 had a fantastic skill tree. The kind of stuff you could do in the game was like playing a John wick movie. For some reason, it was completely stripped away in the sequel. The gunplay was much better than far cry 2, but needed to be more improved, but again, they made it worse. Jason was an awful protagonist and they doubled down on an even worse one. I have no idea why they doubled down on every bad idea in far cry 3 instead of improving it. maybe its easier to churn out these games every two years this way.

And yeah, i was shocked to see how little the graphics have improved since far cry 3. i thought for sure the graphics were gimped because they would be bringing back the environmental interactions like fire physics from FC2, but nope. This series had so much potential after FC3, but they have made every bad decision they couldve made along the way.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
Still enjoyed FC5 and New Dawn even though they had many flaws. Very excited for this...

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From the vibes the leak gave, Yara is probably a Cuba inspired island and Giancarlo will be a big dictator.

Not probably. Definitely.

Crossposting:

Esperanza (the city in-game) is going to try to be a La Habana I imagine. Also with the description saying "frozen in time" I'm positive it's going to be (not) Cuba.

The thing that stuck out to me the most is the name Yara:

Wikipedia said:
The Taíno Cacique (chief) Hatuey was burnt at the stake in Yara, on February 2, 1512, after he organized a guerrilla war against the Spaniards. Hatuey is known as "Cuba's First National Hero".[4] This action gave birth to one of Cuban mayor's myths; "La Luz de Yara", The Light of Yara.[5]

On October 10, 1868, the beginning of the Ten Years' War in Cuba occurred and is known as El Grito de Yara (The Cry of Yara) and was the beginning of the First Cuban War of Independence.

Yara was established as a municipality in 1912, when Manzanillo was split up.

en.m.wikipedia.org

Yara, Cuba - Wikipedia

So, in sense, Yara is the birth place of the spirit of rebellion in Cuba.

But honestly it just reminded me of this, lol:

bljc6lkjrp331.jpg

Edit: Yeah, they're not being subtle with this at all.