• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Gameinformer.

Big Sigh Country
Public executions aside, Far Cry 5's world is meticulously constructed, and it's a remarkable facsimile of Big Sky Country. Unfortunately, too much of the action in it is uninspired. It's a beautiful but bland recitation of what's come before, from both the series and Ubisoft's open-world playbook. It's never bad, but considering how great the past games have been, its overall predictability is disappointing.

7.5/10

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/f...-5-game-informer-review-big-sigh-country.aspx

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
has anyone gone through it?
he said the same for evil within 2 despite praising it and for the life of me i still havent figured out why, the game was perfectly alright day 1.
Took a quick skim through because I don't want to see too much of the game, but he praises the graphics, sound, quest progression and when all parts align correctly the game can be very fun.
However he didnt like the AI, saying it could be worse than FC4's. Some bugginess too with animals attacking npc's mid conversation and reseting everything.

Will give the video a full watch after my playthrough.

Sounds like the world is a downgrade moving on from AC:O, which is what I am coming from when I jump into FC5. Oh my.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Took a quick skim through because I don't want to see too much of the game, but he praises the graphics, sound, quest progression and when all parts align correctly the game can be very fun.
However he didnt like the AI, saying it could be worse than FC4's. Some bugginess too with animals attacking npc's mid conversation and reseting everything.

Will give the video a full watch after my playthrough.

Sounds like the world is a downgrade moving on from AC:O, which is what I am coming from when I jump into FC5. Oh my.

It's easy for an open world to be a downgrade when coming from AC: O.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is pretty clashing with ACG since you both are highly regarded in my book.

That makes it a draw, I'm still cautiously hyped, whatever that means.
It's mostly down to how you feel about the completely differing tones.

This:
Far-Cry-5-Review-Shot-(18).jpg

And this:
Far-Cry-5-Review-Shot-(54).jpg

Are the same game. The tones don't really match at all. As I say in the review, one game is horror. The other is action. Assuming you can mentally square that, it's mostly a great game in my opinion.

BT-787

Oct 26, 2017
Gadgets 360: 8/10.

These issues notwithstanding, Far Cry 5 is a welcome entry in a series that's been consistently entertaining over the years. The campaign is filled with memorable characters, robust progression, and action galore that all combine to make it a treat to play.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I am really hyped to play this, hopefully this evening. I'm surprisingly looking forward to getting stuck into the multiplayer more than anything, I hope the map editor results in some super interesting things.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Can you holster your weapons? It seems a bit weird in some parts walking around with a drawn automatic rifle.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's mostly down to how you feel about the completely differing tones.

This:
Far-Cry-5-Review-Shot-(18).jpg

And this:
Far-Cry-5-Review-Shot-(54).jpg

Are the same game. The tones don't really match at all. As I say in the review, one game is horror. The other is action. Assuming you can mentally square that, it's mostly a great game in my opinion.

Thank you for boiling down the differences for you guys, I have skimmed through your review and didnt watch Karak's but if thats your main difference... I'm good.

I mean im totally OK with both of those pictures and I will enjoy both according to the moment, so cool.

It's also the first time I think I'm more excited about a game getting rid of the dead weight than I am about the new features. Except coop, every game should have online coop period.

That plus the rest of the scores for other minor (in my book) reviewers makes me go back to THE HYPE ZONE.

Now the only question there for me to resolve is if we can access the game early on PC by using VPN. Anybody?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
A friend of mine works at Ubisoft and gave me an early voucher for the game, so I've been playing it. I didn't want to say anything until the embargo ended because I felt I should abide by it.

To put it simply, I'm really enjoying the game. It's been easy to get lost inside of, and keeps giving me that one more mission or one more activity mentality, which is something I haven't felt much lately due to being burned out on gaming. The world is insanely big, the characters almost all have personality (some of the NPCs say the same wooden things, but you can't expect everyone to be original), and there's a lot to do. It's easy to get lost and sidetracked and lose an hour.

At first I was worried because it didn't seem to be a lot different than the last games. Obviously it's got a different time period and type of combat than Primal, which was a blast, so I'm not counting that. And it has a different setting than the previous two, because you're not on a tropical island or in the mountains of a far away land. It still felt very similar, but has really opened up and become addictive to me, scratching the itch I wanted from this great series.

I didn't discover fast travel until just recently, so it was taking me a while to get places. Vehicles are sometimes hard to find out in the wild, but if you drive around on the actual roads you're apt to run into enemies far too often and that's one of my only major complaints. It bothered me at first, because I'd barely drive anywhere and then run into a truck that would spot me. Then the same thing would happen again within 30 seconds. I've gotten used to it, but it's still a downside.

There's tons of weaponry, lots of explosives and some tonics you can craft that let you expose all enemies in an area or reduce damage. It's also very easy to find quests, and a lot of them are considered story quests. You also can take over cult headquarters that they've taken over, like abandoned mills and farms.

I've used four of the guns for hire: the dog, the bow hunter, the sniper and the pilot. They all provide something different and are helpful. Though you can also hire resistance fighters you meet in towns and on roads.

Animals take quite a punch to kill. Sometimes you'll hit them with a car. The pelts can be sold for money that you can use to buy weapons or stock, or even vehicles. There are also lots of perk upgrades.

If you like this type of game it's an absolute buy. It looks great, is very fun and I haven't had much in the glitch department.

Can you holster your weapons? It seems a bit weird in some parts walking around with a drawn automatic rifle.

Yes. If you're talking to somebody and pull out a gun or your fists, they'll cower or walk away and say something to you about it. Essentially they won't continue talking to you about what they were saying until you lower it.

Endy

Oct 30, 2017
I realize it might be a little early to ask (unless there's some form a preload), but does anybody know how much hard drive space you need to install the game on pc?

Endy.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Have they toned down the wildlife insanity from 4?

Felt like I spent half that game exerting zero control, instead watching canned eagle attack animations and such.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I went with the Gold Edition purely because of the value being offered up.
  • I get the game itself which will easily net me at least 40 hours of content alone.
  • A horde mode zombie DLC, a Vietnam set side story and another side story set on Mars.
  • The entirety of Far Cry Arcade and its respective expansion packs which offers limitless potential for solo, PvE and PvP experiences created by members of the community (including myself) and curated by Ubisoft.
  • Far Cry 3 Remastered which is all but guaranteed to support Xbox One X/PS4 Pro enhancements so I get to replay my favorite entry in the series at 4K with solid performance for the first time.
I think that for anyone, though especially franchise fans like myself, this is an insane value proposition for $90. On top of that, people playing on PS4 likely have their 20% codes to burn which means all of this content for $72. The Gold Edition was just a total no brainer for me.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Can we talk about how insane the graphic looks on current gen consoles? Not only this but other games too in the last few months. When I saw gameplay yesterday for the first time I was blown away how ridiculously realistic it looked. This feels more like a step into next gen than the actual next gen step felt to be honest. Just wow.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am hearing that ending is really weird and out of left field.
Can anyone confirm/deny?

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went with the Gold Edition purely because of the value being offered up.
  • I get the game itself which will easily net me at least 40 hours of content alone.
  • A horde mode zombie DLC, a Vietnam set side story and another side story set on Mars.
  • The entirety of Far Cry Arcade and its respective expansion packs which offers limitless potential for solo, PvE and PvP experiences created by members of the community (including myself) and curated by Ubisoft.
  • Far Cry 3 Remastered which is all but guaranteed to support Xbox One X/PS4 Pro enhancements so I get to replay my favorite entry in the series at 4K with solid performance for the first time.
I think that for anyone, though especially franchise fans like myself, this is an insane value proposition for $90. On top of that, people playing on PS4 likely have their 20% codes to burn which means all of this content for $72. The Gold Edition was just a total no brainer for me.

Where did you get from that vietnam and mars are side stories?

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They will be DLC for the game, the gold edition comes with the season pass.

Not my question. Who said those dlc are side stories?

Taking from the season pass descrpition:

Vietnam:

"Listen to him recount his glory days, as you travel back in time to war-torn Vietnam to take down Viet-Cong. Trapped behind enemy lines, will you be able to rescue your squad mates and evacuate to safety?"

Rescue & evacuate

Mars:

"Once you're stranded on the red planet, your mission is simple: stop the Martian Arachnid invasion and get back home safely."

Hold & Evacuate

Zombies:

B-movie director Guy Marvel is destined to be the next big thing – just ask him. Join him in 7 hilarious scenarios to take on hordes and hordes of undead zombies.

Horde mode.

I WISH there will be small but rich dlc but it looks more like its going to be enclosed espaces with horde/survival aspects built with the editor. I hope I'm readign this wrong tho.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Vietnam:

"Listen to him recount his glory days, as you travel back in time to war-torn Vietnam to take down Viet-Cong. Trapped behind enemy lines, will you be able to rescue your squad mates and evacuate to safety?"

Rescue & evacuate

Mars:

"Once you're stranded on the red planet, your mission is simple: stop the Martian Arachnid invasion and get back home safely."

Hold & Evacuate

Zombies:

B-movie director Guy Marvel is destined to be the next big thing – just ask him. Join him in 7 hilarious scenarios to take on hordes and hordes of undead zombies.

Horde mode.

I WISH there will be small but rich dlc but it looks more like its going to be enclosed espaces with horde/survival aspects built with the editor. I hope I'm readign this wrong tho.
Ubisoft won't be so stupid to provide free editor mode while costing you money for some theme content for said mode. In the trailer they even introduce the three DLC content before introducing Arcade mode.

On the other hand, a poster said the DLCs are somehow connected with the main game. Take it with a grain of salt. Post below:
just a little thing: the three DLC are somehow connected to the main game, even if it doesn`t seem so. won`t say more because spoilers, when you play for yourself you will see why .-)

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft won't be so stupid to provide free editor mode while costing you money for some theme content for said mode. In the trailer they even introduce the three DLC content before introducing Arcade mode.

On the other hand, a poster said the DLCs are somehow connected with the main game. Take it with a grain of salt. Post below:

Nothing in this seems conclusive.

Id gladly eat my words and pay for the season pass if I'm proven wrong but the fact that information on this is so scarce doesn't help....

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vietnam:

Rescue & evacuate

Mars:

Hold & Evacuate

Zombies:

Horde mode.

Far Cry 5's season pass content will not consist of content that could be created using the free Arcade editor. Give them more credit.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if I can use that 20% off Uplay promo (it costs 100 Uplay points/coins) on Far Cry 5 once it's released?

I know they can't be used on preorders, but wasn't sure about new releases.