• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
3063062-0870864531-halfl.jpg

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/half-life-2

Possibly one of the most ridiculous posts I've read in years.

I'd even add this since the protag only speaks through pre-recorded messages.

Prey-Free-Download.jpg

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In addition to having terrible first person shooter mechanics with pea shooter guns and enemies with essentially non-existent hit reactions who move while shooting, Half-Life 2 has very bad character handling. It's a textbook example of why the silent protagonist is a bad idea. It's also an example of how NOT to write companion characters. The entire structure was falling apart by Episode 2.

Except very few people agree with this. The Half-Life games are incredible at telling the story through the gameplay.

The narrative would have been destroyed if the character had been voiced by some over-paid actor. An actor would've wanted to define the part with some over the top look-at-me-I-deserve-an-Oscar performance.

The Half-Life games, as narrative experiences... just work. Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day when somebody would argue that Gordon Freeman should have had a voice actor. This is almost sacrilegious. Nice try, though.

Last edited:

Lugnutal

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Great OT!!! I've always been a fan of the Far Cry games (except Primal...not my cup of tea). Been waiting for this one for a while now. Can't wait for Monday!!! I wonder which animal will be the equivalent to the honey badger from 3??? Those things were evil.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except very few people agree with this. The Half-Life games are incredible at telling the story through the gameplay.
That's sidestepping the issue. Firstly it's argumentum ad populum. Secondly, Half-Life 2 does not tell its primary narrative "through gameplay". Half-Life 2 tells its primary narrative through locking the player in a small room and force-feeding them dialogue that is either one-sided or consists of two other characters talking about how AMAZING the player is and how BRAVE and STRONG he is.
The narrative would have been destroyed if the character had been voiced by some over-paid actor. An actor would've wanted to define the part with some over the top look-at-me-I-deserve-an-Oscar performance.
Get a developer to voice him, then?
The Half-Life games, as narrative experiences... just work. Honestly, I never thiught I'd see the day when somebody would argue that Gordon Freeman should have had a voice actor. This is almost sacrilegious. Nice try, though.
They do not work. The relationship between Gordon and Alyx does not work. Let's be clear. The story of Half-Life is entirely about Gordon, the G-Man, and Alyx. Everything hinges on that. The Combine and the resistance and all that stuff is fluff. We know how Half-Life 3 was going to end -- with the G-Man recruiting Alyx and leaving Gordon to die. Why does Alyx admire Gordon Freeman? What qualities does Gordon Freeman have as a person that would cause Alyx Vance to want to have sex with him? Why does Barney care about Gordon? Why does Barney owe Gordon a beer? How does Gordon Freeman feel about the G-Man? About his place in all this. Nothing. There's nothing. Gordon is a cypher. He is an empty and meaningless player proxy. He may as well not exist. Characters talk AT him. They do not meaningfully interact with him, except to hug him and tell him how amazing he is.

Either get a voice actor or don't try to tell a story involving human interaction where the player character is an active participant in human society. You can't have both and expect it to work properly.

Kyle Crane from Dying Light would not work as a silent protagonist. Your superiors order you to destroy life-saving medication. If Kyle Crane didn't have a voice actor, doing this really bad thing "for the greater good" would be completely hollow. When the Resistance in Homefront: The Revolution tell you to straight up murder people, mute Ethan Brady just does it. It's hollow. The DLC Ethan Brady expresses his opinion on the things that are asked of him. On the challenges before him. He's not a mute errand boy with no survival instincts anymore. The player as an empty plot proxy is terrible unless you have strong elements of player choice through non-verbal means. The player can form an invisible character through unspoken agency and choices. Half-Life 2 lacks all this, of course. You kill lots of people and potentially endanger the entire planet because the Resistance tells you to do it. Then Breen talks at you about how you're actually wrong and stuff "Can you name even one thing you have created," and all that stuff. Talking at the player is really, really bad. Talking TO the player requires something other than the empty shell that is Gordon Freeman.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i played until you are free in the world, a few hot takes so far:

-looks good on PS4Pro (on 1080p Display) but Dunia Engine showing its age now, i mean its good so far but there are lot of static objects in the world
-there are no settings for graphics in the menu anymore
-i was a huge skeptic but performance seems good so far, no stutter, 30fps
-Intro was kind of cool, but no oscar performance
-there is some sort of "tutorial island" where you explore the different kind of missions
-progress seems like Mafia3/Ghost Recon: Do this and that to face the leader of the region, it`s more or less "filling bars-the game", you are free to tackle as you like, same as Wildlands
-world is more organic than before, seems more like a real place than a playground
-music is good
-150 missions, but repetition here (to be expected)
-Game is too easy with guns for hire, playing on hard and the AI just shoots everything, i had to let him go, now i got the Dog but i am not sure if it isn`t still too easy now
-there are little riddles in the world for stashs of money you must solve little enviromental puzzles, kind of cool
- no minimap, you discover by exploring

i like it so far

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My friends got the game early and here's how the co-op works.

All missions and activities are playable in co-op.

The catch is that only the "host" keeps the STORY and ACTIVITIES progress. The "guest" gets to keep their character progress, earned currency...etc.

So you can play the whole game together but the "host" has to host all game sessions and the guest has to wait for the host to play the game.

It's like Dead Island or Dying Light I think.

Wolfgav

Oct 27, 2017
Glass City.
My friends got the game early and here's how the co-op works.

All missions and activities are playable in co-op.

The catch is that only the "host" keeps the STORY and ACTIVITIES progress. The "guest" gets to keep their character progress, earned currency...etc.

So you can play the whole game together but the "host" has to host all game sessions and the guest has to wait for the host to play the game.

It's like Dead Island or Dying Light I think.

Awesome! That is what I was hoping for since my wife and I are going to play the game together from beginning to end.
If I am the guest, will I still receive trophies while completing missions, objectives, etc.?

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the camp of "I know nothing about this but it's that time of the year so I'll probably buy it and regret it after a few hours because it'll have the same ubi problems" I guess.

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
i played until you are free in the world, a few hot takes so far:

-looks good on PS4Pro (on 1080p Display) but Dunia Engine showing its age now, i mean its good so far but there are lot of static objects in the world

i like it so far

Playing on Xbox One X also on 1080p. Just cleared the first tutorial island. It looks great but also noticed that there are quite a bit of items (like assorted trash) that I would shoot at and nothing would happen. I don't want to diminish it though - it looks great and in comparison to FC4 this feels a lot less 'cartoony.' The setting has a very strong sense of place from my initial impression.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Half-Life games, as narrative experiences... just work. Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day when somebody would argue that Gordon Freeman should have had a voice actor. This is almost sacrilegious. Nice try, though.

No they don't. Half Life 2 it's kinda ok because they assume you've been around for 10 years so NPCs don't think they need to explain things for what should be common knowledge, but in Ep 2 they bring up events and objectives that have only just popped into existence, yet they don't explain anything. 1 sided convos don't work anymore, you need the protagonist to have an agency.

They've also added fuller characters since HL1. Alyx falling for you is lol-worthy when you haven't breathed a single word to her.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Awesome OP, can't wait to play the game. The Guns for Hire addition seems really cool, reminds me of companions from Fallout. Wonder if I could get a similar deadly combo like Ed-e and Boone or are you just limited to 1, may have missed it.

Tek233

Oct 25, 2017
So does the Xbox one X not have any graphic settings for resolution or performance? Is this unable to reach 4k holding 30fps?

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched someone play for about 8hours, if you are excited for another Far Cry game (like 3 and 4) this is for you.
If you are a bit tired of the formula (like me), watching someone play is good enough until it goes on sale.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely getting this day one on PC for that 60fps. enjoyed the hell out of fc3,4, and even primal which i thought i wouldn't like due to using primitive weapons but enjoyed it as well so getting fc5 is a forgone conclusion for me.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone on X that can confirm there's no stuttering? Like...at all. I'm talking both frame pacing and when entering new areas.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not sure if it's been answered, but to those who are playing it: how is 5 compared to 3?

3 was, IMO, the best Far Cry. 4 was fun but it couldn't live up to 3 for me. (Didn't bother with Primal, but I do plan too)

ServantesNL

Mar 12, 2018
I have the Gold edition and i see there is a far cry 3 classic game with it where do i get that?

@Pyschotron : I dindt noticed anything of that sort but im just in the beginning of the game.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Not sure if it's been answered, but to those who are playing it: how is 5 compared to 3?

3 was, IMO, the best Far Cry. 4 was fun but it couldn't live up to 3 for me. (Didn't bother with Primal, but I do plan too)

it feels more like a real place with enviromental storytelling, stories to read, missions to find....it`s less themepark than FC3. there are some Fallout flavours going on with audiologs, letters and people yo can talk to for missions.

it is more organic and open than the previous entries. organic exploration, little riddles, enviromental storytelling...

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

...What?

- Voice actors are hardly overpaid, or did you miss the strike they had for two years?
- Any over-the-top performance would be on the director, not the actor.

Is Blood Dragon really not coming with Far Cry 3 Classic Edition?

That SUCKS

Neither is FC3's splitscreen, which had potential but ran like shit on consoles. This was their chance to get it right.

Gold edition sold out at amazon and bb. Sigh

Keep an eye out. Amazon went OOS for the Gold Edition last week and then they put it back up.

Last edited:

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Fuck yeah, can't wait!

Does anyone know if coop buddies get trophies/achievements too? Would be stupid if they didn't.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As tempted as I am I can guarantee it will be enticing and addictive for 5 hours and then I will feel a lack of motivation to carry on. Unless this has Origins levels of improvement over other games in the series? Ubisoft games always have deep discounts quite quickly so I have no reason not to wait and save cash. Great OT though man!

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
I just got done with Assassin's Creed Origins DLC this morning so I'm ready for Far Cry. My game is on the way.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! I made a few tweaks to the OP based on this and other suggestions but I couldn't find a source for the 6 Arcade mode content packs... do you have a link?

Sure.

https://far-cry.ubisoft.com/game/en-au/news/detail.aspx?c=tcm:185-319840-16&ct=tcm:185-76770-32

"Far Cry Arcade will also continue to grow after launch with at six updates that will introduce new assets to the map editor including assets from the three different DLC experiences coming to Far Cry 5."