• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I kind of thought her face was too long when I saw the new trailer too. Nothing to get pissy about, but it's funny so many other people noticed it.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
They moefied her, like Faith from Mirror's Edge (remember that ?). Nothing new from a fringe of Japanese fans, we all have those.

aixwnQj.png

(source : https://kotaku.com/once-again-some-japanese-gamers-dislike-the-look-of-mi-512420010 )

I'll get everyone to agree and say they can model Aeris after cosplayer Enji Night

Holy crap i forgot about that whole debacle...

The irony was, the people who were praising this design were shitting on the old one cause they were saying she looked like a man and the west were too obsessed with "Orientalism"

Complaining about asian stereotypes while shaming a real facial structure from another part of asia

Nov 13, 2017
She looks perfect in the original photo.

People saying she has a long face, lmao.
1. She doesn't.
2. Even if she did, why the fuck not? Not everyone needs to look like a doll.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
They're making her look more Asian or more like the idealized Japanese version of a white person. The examples of Faith and Lady above do the same thing.

All of these fan edits are made by minority slices of the fanbase that don't like seeing prominent female characters differ from the skewed ideas of attraction that they've internalized. They're kinda shitty.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God... do we seriously have to keep using the name "Aerith"? Can't we go back to "Aeris" for this game already SE?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
They're making her look more Asian or more like the idealized Japanese version of a white person. The examples of Faith and Lady above do the same thing.

All of these fan edits are made by minority slices of the fanbase that don't like seeing prominent female characters differ from the skewed ideas of attraction that they've internalized. They're kinda shitty.

kinda!?

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
searching for #エアリス on twitter just give a handful of tweets about the change. So its just a couple of people just blowing out of proportions

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
searching for #エアリス on twitter just give a handful of tweets about the change. So its just a couple of people just blowing out of proportions
OP seems to think it's a bigger deal than it actually is. I went to the hashtag and it's like 4 or 5 edits with some maybe receiving like 5 likes and a couple comments.

You would think with how it's being treated there was fan edit after fan edit with thousands of likes.

It's funny because this is the most gorgeous the character has ever looked but the anime obsession is strong in some people.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She's literally perfect. Hopefully this is exaggerated because I swear if Nomura gets wind of this and decides to change everyone's faces again... take a seat Japan.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fan version looks like a "best waifu" masturbatory dream. I actually like the design on the left quite a lot.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
OP seems to think it's a bigger deal than it actually is. I went to the hashtag and it's like 4 or 5 edits with some maybe receiving like 5 likes and a couple comments.

You would think with how it's being treated there was fan edit after fan edit with thousands of likes.

I don't think it was twitter.

6dd7e124-9133-4a8b-ad4e-152fba1d882f.png

Whatever this site is what was generating the conversation.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone had a weirdly squished face in the original FF7 art because that was its style. Now she looks more like a human being. Also, her face looks "longer" at that one angle compared to the other shots of her in the trailer.