• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I want to try it but I'm put off by how it is played on a single plane with no up and down movement. I hope I'm wrong about that.

That's because this is mainly an action game. Just because you can hit enemies multiple times doesn't make it a beat'em up.

This game has more in common with rolling thunder and splatterhouse, than with final fight.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Between this and Wild Guns, I hope there are more SNES remasters in the future. Psst Konami, you just worked with Arcade 1UP. Now would be a great time to strike with those SNES TMNT games. Just make it four player and widescreen. It's SUPER EASY MONEY.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I know this isn't the best place to ask but since beat um up fans are here, does anyone know what's up with the PS4 release of Fight N Rage. I wanted to get this and that but I haven't heard of anything other than "soon"

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Tbh kunoichi was actually a little bustier in nw1 compared to again, so, cynically, this is fixing that. :p
A good way to look at it too, haha. I DO think they have a thing for thick, weighty bodies, but unlike a first blush reaction, I think it's a total design bias.
And yet it's still pretty easy to say "lol, boobs", wondering why this of all things was necessary in redrawing the sprite. I'm sure it would be similar "3D", as you say, without the breast job ;)
Not really, though. They basically made everything more ridiculous as a way to make it move and shift within the animations. If they just made the breasts bigger / more rounded, and yet everything else stayed the same, that'd be one thing. But they went to such a ridiculous degree with the main characters, animating cloth, hair, and chainmail in ways that most pixel and HD animators never bother with. Even the animating of highlights is done very well, to suggest how cloth is wrapping around underlaying form.

It's a bit less about breasts, and more about just making anything that's fun/ eye catching to animate, animate. All the enemies are much more "restrained", even the more mutated ones. If all the enemy females also got "boob jobs", I'd roll my eyes right along with you. I definitely raised a brow when I saw Kunoichi alone. But after playing, and seeing it all displayed together moving, it fits fine.
I want to try it but I'm put off by how it is played on a single plane with no up and down movement. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Really, for this kind of sprite work, the lack of a need to present scaling as characters move "away" and "towards" the camera feels good. All Isometric games don't do that, but the ones that DO often try harder to obey the laws of Psuedo-3D space, which results in shimmering, unevenly scaled sprites. And those that DON'T present a 3D depth without obeying the camera. This can often look weird, as the character is the same size, no matter how far they are form you... I can enjoy not having to see either, every once in a while.

The game has a block (By holding attack) to make up for the lack of up/down dodge. It's also nice to be able to duck blows, which isn't common in isometric BEUs. And considering size-of-hurt/hitbox issues are one of the things I think many modern BEU's get horribly wrong in some way (even Castle Crashers), I think the straightforward, easy-to-parse interaction here not only removes a bunch of potential design headaches, but it really works for the new and refreshed juggle system.

That's because this is mainly an action game. Just because you can hit enemies multiple times doesn't make it a beat'em up.

This game has more in common with rolling thunder and splatterhouse, than with final fight.

I dunno. I definitely say it feels more like a Final Fight than a Rolling Thunder! Especially with the ability to grapple, and control spacing with throws and the like. Now the original arcade game definitely feels like a single-plane Rolling Thunder though, I'll give ya that!

Your description does make me wonder if the game has almost shifted Genres from the SNES original to even THIS one, though. Co Op and adjusted juggles, reflexes, time to kill, and player responsiveness have all made it feel like almost a new game. Heck, Raiden almost feels more like playing a KIng of the Monsters game than even Ninja Warriors, haha.

That's all really nitpicky, though. I am surprised with how fresh it all feels with it's changes, however. And I love how retro the logic is in the game. Examples: Neutral jump with Yaksha has her do an awesome multi-hit spin. Do it immediately while jumping, and it hits nicely, stops her rise, and lets you get back to the ground to continue hitting. Do the same button press at the apex of her jump, and it gives her additional jump momentum, allowing her to float higher. This can be useful for dodging gunshots, avoiding melee attacks, or getting more hits on big enemies.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Glad it is going to be released for Switch so definitely picking it up. Judging from video I was hoping it had more animated environments, though, but doesn't affect my buying decision.

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Is the phisical PS4 edition for regular sale or some limited run edition of sort?

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the GB Quick Look yesterday and was immediately interested. Is there enough game to justify the $20 price tag? That was my only concern.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
This game really took me by surprise. I'm super into arcade/some console beat-em-ups from obscure stuff like Pu-Li-Ru-La all the way to more mainstream titlesand I never heard of this. It was a pleasant surprise to see that the characters have unique moves outside of pressing 2 buttons at once. Really solid game. Worth the money imo.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to playing this on my Switch today. Really liking it. I recognize the artwork of the SNES game from ads, stores, etc when I was younger, but never played it, so this is completely new for me.

At first, I wasn't sure about the single plane fighting, but once I got a feel for all the moves, I appreciate how it changes the strategy from a traditional beat em up. I also like the charge system. The fact you can lose it by getting hit encourages you not to hoard it. In most games, I'd find myself constantly saving a meter or limited use special moves for a "perfect time" that never happens. Encouraging its use adds more variety to the gameplay.

Each character plays a lot differently, so I'll definitely be motivated to play through multiple times. Definitely worth the price to me, but I'm a sucker for classic arcade style games like this.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought this game because of this thread. Finished it four times today. Really enjoyed it, would play with a friend but i wish it had online coop so i could convince my friend to buy it

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Bought this game because of this thread. Finished it four times today. Really enjoyed it, would play with a friend but i wish it had online coop so i could convince my friend to buy it
If you have the PS4 version you can use Remote Play to play online co-op, but I'm guessing you're on Switch.

Yeah, this game is awesome, the gameplay and the combo system remind me of the traditional fighting games, like Street Fighter.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Is there some trick to the first boss that I'm missing? He takes way more hits to kill than any later boss I've faced so far, and when he shows up again in stage 5 he kills me every single time. Been strolling through the game without much difficulty as Kunoichi except for that guy.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there some trick to the first boss that I'm missing? He takes way more hits to kill than any later boss I've faced so far, and when he shows up again in stage 5 he kills me every single time. Been strolling through the game without much difficulty as Kunoichi except for that guy.
Don't spam him since he counter attacks after blocking, try and block his attacks, use special moves (her throw Kuni) as much as possible, and maybe try and just do a junp kick attack and then do an immediate kick backwards to get away. I've found him a bit hard with Kunoichi, but he's super easy with other characters. Different bosses are harder for other characters.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017

I guess the answer was "Play Ninja". XD I had a hard time with Yaksha, but I found her special combo ender when at MAX meter is fantastic for taking out huge enemies, eats through armor, and has insane amounts of invincibility. There really are a lot of little nuances in this game.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I guess the answer was "Play Ninja". XD I had a hard time with Yaksha, but I found her special combo ender when at MAX meter is fantastic for taking out huge enemies, eats through armor, and has insane amounts of invincibility. There really are a lot of little nuances in this game.

Yaksha was the easiest for the first boss lol all you need to do is jump and use her special. He can't defend against the two arms, doesn't hard knock him down, and you can do it again. Also if you jump upwards and do her spin move, that takes care of him as well. Ninja is stupid strong though except against that green boss

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Yaksha was the easiest for the first boss lol all you need to do is jump and use her special. He can't defend against the two arms, doesn't hard knock him down, and you can do it again. Also if you jump upwards and do her spin move, that takes care of him as well. Ninja is stupid strong though except against that green boss

The 2 arm Up special is something I tried early on, but he just blocked and pushed me back. Also was surprised how often he'd blocked a few hits of her spin, then burst out into that HUGE kick of his. Like I was getting Alpha-countered in a BEU, haha. I DO wonder if some bosses and enemy patterns are different in 2P. I don't even remember seeing the gunmen shoot when I played through in Co-Op, but my SP runs all had them shooting as soon as they appeared on the screen.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Im really enjoying the game so far. But haven't beat it yet...
For those that enjoy this game's combo and special moves then check Sengoku 3 on Arcade Archives. It goes even further with its input commands

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
I know this isn't the best place to ask but since beat um up fans are here, does anyone know what's up with the PS4 release of Fight N Rage. I wanted to get this and that but I haven't heard of anything other than "soon"
I'd like to know this too. I tried asking in the announcement trailer thread, but got no reply. I haven't seen any news and follow them on twitter. Same for The Takeover (should be releasing this year).

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I'd like to know this too. I tried asking in the announcement trailer thread, but got no reply. I haven't seen any news and follow them on twitter. Same for The Takeover (should be releasing this year).

Im starting to feel like it was with The Messenger. Announced it the same time as the switch version and one year later havent said a word about it.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Just started playing this tonight on my Switch in handheld mode and noticed right away there's a ton of input lag on this. Im not sure if anyone else noticed. im Generally sensitive to lag but can tolerate stuff like emulation lag but this feels very severe to me. I googled it and didn't find anything so I figured I'd post in this thread.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the necro bump, but I just started this today, and played through stage 1-7, then exited to the main screen when I got to stage 8. And... Now I can't seem to start at stage 8 again, do I actually have to play through stage 1-7 again just to get back to where I was?? šŸ˜³ Otherwise a fine game, great music!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Sorry for the necro bump, but I just started this today, and played through stage 1-7, then exited to the main screen when I got to stage 8. And... Now I can't seem to start at stage 8 again, do I actually have to play through stage 1-7 again just to get back to where I was?? šŸ˜³ Otherwise a fine game, great music!

yup, no save, the game is pretty short so you have to beat it in one go

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul

Same thing happened to me. I beat it in one go on normal, and then went through it again in hard mode. For whatever reason, Ihad to shut the game down right at the end thinking it would auto save or something. Nope.

Fantastic title though. I can't wait for the Pocky and Rocky remake.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It was on sale a few weeks back for what I think it was the first time, I bought it. I remember reading the SNES reviews back in the day, but I didn't have an SNES.

Oct 27, 2017
yup, no save, the game is pretty short so you have to beat it in one go

Ughhhh.... That's one QoL feature I wish they had included! Oh well, I restarted the game. At least the music is great and the game doesn't take ages to get through.

Same thing happened to me. I beat it in one go on normal, and then went through it again in hard mode. For whatever reason, Ihad to shut the game down right at the end thinking it would auto save or something. Nope.

Fantastic title though. I can't wait for the Pocky and Rocky remake.

Haha, yeah. I've gotten so used to games saving between levels it caught me off-guard that I had to restart. Cool game though! And yeah, I'm interested in the Pocky & Rocky remake too!