• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VashTS

Oct 29, 2017
This fangame looks fantastic. Hopefully it doesn't get hit with a DMCA. Widescreen support is neat, but are there any plans for ultrawide?

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking wish. I love the sprite-work of the original game so, so much.
It's not quite the same, but there's Rayman 3 GBA which is a great platformer akin to the original. I also recently learned of Rayman Forever which is on GOG a d includes a lot of DLC-esque levels for the original game (made by its creators).

ajcacio

Mar 6, 2018
Man, this brings me back. I had both the PS1 and GBA versions (GBA soundtrack slaps). Great to see someone giving this classic love and attention

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I just remember that is was my favorite game on the Saturn and the game was kinda hard for me.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Man, honestly Michel Ancel and Ubi should just get it together and license this from the devs and publish it on every platform. What an awesome thing. Hope some of the devs are on era and will weigh in (and if you're lurking and reading this, create and account and do so!)

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
The original Rayman is the only one I've ever found worthwhile, and I expected to see something made in the level editor that shipped with later releases. This looks vastly more robust than that, however.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Man, honestly Michel Ancel and Ubi should just get it together and license this from the devs and publish it on every platform. What an awesome thing. Hope some of the devs are on era and will weigh in (and if you're lurking and reading this, create and account and do so!)
Real shit, that would honestly be really dope. Everything that led up to Sonic Mania started with that one Sonic CD iOS pitch, after all.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The original Rayman is the only one I've ever found worthwhile
wat

Rayman 2 is an incredible 3D platformer and Rayman Origins/Legends are some of the most incredible platformers ever made.

Unverify this member!
Real shit, that would honestly be really dope. Everything that led up to Sonic Mania started with that one Sonic CD iOS pitch, after all.

Might be a bit of risk to it I guess but anybody know a contact point for Michel Ancel? I feel like he would find this awesome and might even take it on

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
wat

Rayman 2 is an incredible 3D platformer and Rayman Origins/Legends are some of the most incredible platformers ever made.

Unverify this member!

Honestly I'm just not big on 3D platformers. There are a few I like, but in general it's not a genre for me. I didn't really like Mario 64 either, when that was new.

I was actually really excited for Rayman Origins, but it took such a swerve from what was originally pitched that it became a massive turn-off. The characters that they brought back from the original were unrecognizable (When did Betilla become a sexpot? Why is The Magician suddenly a Mr. Dark fanboy??) so between the visual aesthetic and the story bits I lost all interest. I'd really like a true successor - in every sense, meaning visuals, audio, etc - to the original Rayman, but Ubisoft clearly isn't interested in making that, and understandably. I'm glad fans have taken it upon themselves!

Also I don't like Globox.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually really excited for Rayman Origins, but it took such a swerve from what was originally pitched that it became a massive turn-off. The characters that they brought back from the original were unrecognizable (When did Betilla become a sexpot? Why is The Magician suddenly a Mr. Dark fanboy??) so between the visual aesthetic and the story bits I lost all interest. I'd really like a true successor - in every sense, meaning visuals, audio, etc - to the original Rayman, but Ubisoft clearly isn't interested in making that, and understandably. I'm glad fans have taken it upon themselves!
This is interesting, I didn't realize there was an in-development change - do you know the details?

I hear you, none of the subsequent games really feel anything like the original, which is still very unique even amongst platformers. Did you ever play the Rayman 3 for GBA? Very much the true sequel you're looking for, art and gameplay wise (and a great game to boot)

rayman-3-02.png

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
I haven't played Rayman 3 on GBA but that screen does look pretty enticing...

The game was originally pitched as a prequel to Rayman (hence the title!) They said that it would show how Rayman went from being a young, immature goofball to become the hero he is at the beginning of the original game (recall in the opening that he's the go-to for The Magician and others when Mr. Dark shows up, he's already established as a hero.) I believe they also said it would show how he met Globox, and maybe where Mr. Dark came from or something along those lines? During development that was all scrapped along the way and it just became a traditional sequel, though oddly it kept the Origins subtitle.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
This looks so good! And I am seriously surprised Ubisoft haven't done something like this themselves yet, for one of their most important games of all time.
Definitely gonna play this.

Wiggle

Nov 25, 2019
I haven't played Rayman 3 on GBA but that screen does look pretty enticing...

The game was originally pitched as a prequel to Rayman (hence the title!) They said that it would show how Rayman went from being a young, immature goofball to become the hero he is at the beginning of the original game (recall in the opening that he's the go-to for The Magician and others when Mr. Dark shows up, he's already established as a hero.) I believe they also said it would show how he met Globox, and maybe where Mr. Dark came from or something along those lines? During development that was all scrapped along the way and it just became a traditional sequel, though oddly it kept the Origins subtitle.
It was supposed to be an episodic game. A lot of the things you mentioned can actually be seen in the announcement trailer from e3 2010.

Feb 20, 2019
That's amazing however I know how insanely difficult this game is and knowing how easily I can end up raging on tough platformers I think I'll pass

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I've been
Honestly I'm just not big on 3D platformers. There are a few I like, but in general it's not a genre for me. I didn't really like Mario 64 either, when that was new.

Also I don't like Globox.

As a huge Rayman 1 fan boy, I agree with some of what you're saying. I like 3D platformers, but Rayman 2 didn't work for me. Then again, I played it much later than I did other N64 3D platformers.

In terms of Rayman Origins, I was for sure disappointed at first. But after a while I accepted it for what it is, and enjoyed it a lot. I still miss the original Rayman formula, and so I'm excited to check out this fan remake!

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Played for a few hours, and so far I'm really loving it. The game sits somewhere between a remake and a remaster. It was definitely made with fans in mind, though obviously anyone can enjoy it. But part of the joy is seeing all the changes made, both small and large. I feel like I know the electoon cage locations by heart, and so I love the feeling of acting on the memory and sometimes being right, but other times being wrong.

I'm really interested in the reasoning behind some of the subtle changes. Why did they remove the goofy hammer from the bullets? I guess it makes the hitbox clearer, and allows for more opportunities to dodge. Why does Bzzit shoot bullets when you ride him, rather than punches? They've also made the section where you ride Bzzit easier, by removing the part where he goes top speed.

I've got some minor quibble. Some of the new enemies or other elements don't quite fit the art style. A few of the changes that make the game easier don't feel necessary, though I'm sure if I dug through the settings I'd find a way to turn them off. But like I said, those are nit picks.

All in all, it's a phenomenal experience. Playing this game is reminding me how much the original Rayman has been burned into my brain. There's nothing as satisfying as the little ding you hear when you've spawned an enemy or object elsewhere in the stage by stepping in the right spot.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. I played this on Saturn back in the day. I quit mid game. I want to try this again. Working on a Rayman 2 playtrough at the moment as well. Great timing

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played through a bunch of the game and I feel like I really don't like what they did with it. The remake makes a lot of changes to the original and most of them feel like a huge downgrade.

First there's the changes to the core gameplay. Some of the more noticeable ones include:
  • You start with all of the upgrades from the original game, which completely trivializes the earlier levels. At first, I thought this was a convenience feature so that you could now collect all the cages without having to replay levels, but that's not the case. There's now additional things you can unlock that are still necessary to fully explore earlier levels. Making my way through the earlier levels without any abilities was one of the highlights of the game for me and it's completely removed in the remake.
  • You no longer get knocked back when taking damage. This makes some levels stupidly easy. For example, the last part of Eat at Joe's turns from one of the game's most memorable levels to a complete joke since you can completely ignore the piranhas.
  • You can now keep the helicopter going forever (well, until you touch the ground), which I'm also not a huge fan of. It feels way too forgiving in some spots.
  • There's now additional unlocks you can find.
  • You can upgrade your starting health by unlocking a certain amount of cages. Not sure how to feel about this. Starting with five health means that you can often completely ignore enemies. On the other hand, being able to re-start boss fights with more than 3 health is nice.
  • There's now a lot more boss fights. Those were always the worst part of the game for me so I'm not a huge fan of this. Some of the new ones are quite well done though, so it's not as bad as it could have been.
The game also makes huge changes to most levels, expanding some of them and changing specific sections. Most of the additions don't seem all that memorable and the changes are, by large, terrible. A large number of the most memorable sections have either been cut completely or have been heavily changed, removing most of what made them interesting. Some examples include:
  • The water in Swamps of Forgetfulness now rises incredibly slowly, to the point where it might as well not rise at all.
  • The big red guy in Bongo Hills is now a lame boss fight.
  • The start of Allegro Presto's second level (the one with the trumpets blowing you across narrow platforms) replaces them with much wider platforms, removing all of the challenge.
  • The first level of Gong Heights slows down most of the bongos the monks hold and removes all the non-bongo monks, completely removing everything that made it interesting.
  • The tricky super helicopter part in Pencil Pentathlon that required precise movement is gone, replaced with a much more boring section.
  • The moving erasers now move incredibly slowly and are no longer challenging.
  • The first level of Skop's boss fight has been removed.
  • The dark cave level now has a bunch of lights spread throughout. Weirdly, this doesn't actually make the level easier, it just removes a lot of the level's atmosphere and makes it feel less unique.
In general, every section that was hard in some way was changed to remove most of the challenge. I understand why they did this - most people think the original game was too hard - but doing this removes a lot of what made the game memorable. The original game has some of my favorite level design in a 2D platformer so seeing the remake continuously make changes for the worse was not fun. Some of my favorite levels are a complete bore in the remake. There's a lot of ways the game could have been made easier without making such major changes to the levels.

The core game's still Rayman, which is still fun, but all the changes make it feel like a vastly inferior version of the original game, even with all the additional content. Still, I'd highly recommend this to people who found the original to be too hard. It's definitely a much more forgiving experience.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
So how would you recommend this one for a first timer? is it worthy?
EDIT: Guess the reply before mine pretty much answer my question

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I've played through a bunch of the game and I feel like I really don't like what they did with it. The remake makes a lot of changes to the original and most of them feel like a huge downgrade.

First there's the changes to the core gameplay. Some of the more noticeable ones include:
  • You start with all of the upgrades from the original game, which completely trivializes the earlier levels. At first, I thought this was a convenience feature so that you could now collect all the cages without having to replay levels, but that's not the case. There's now additional things you can unlock that are still necessary to fully explore earlier levels. Making my way through the earlier levels without any abilities was one of the highlights of the game for me and it's completely removed in the remake.
  • You no longer get knocked back when taking damage. This makes some levels stupidly easy. For example, the last part of Eat at Joe's turns from one of the game's most memorable levels to a complete joke since you can completely ignore the piranhas.
  • You can now keep the helicopter going forever (well, until you touch the ground), which I'm also not a huge fan of. It feels way too forgiving in some spots.
  • You can upgrade your starting health by unlocking a certain amount of cages. Not sure how to feel about this. Starting with five health means that you can often completely ignore enemies. On the other hand, being able to re-start boss fights with more than 3 health is nice.
  • There's now a lot more boss fights. Those were always the worst part of the game for me so I'm not a huge fan of this. Some of the new ones are quite well done though, so it's not as bad as it could have been.
The game also makes huge changes to most levels, expanding some of them and changing specific sections. Most of the additions don't seem all that memorable and the changes are, by large, terrible. A large number of the most memorable sections have either been cut completely or have been heavily changed, removing most of what made them interesting. Some examples include:
  • The water in Swamps of Forgetfulness now rises incredibly slowly, to the point where it might as well not rise at all.
  • The start of Allegro Presto's second level (the one with the trumpets blowing you across narrow platforms) replaces them with much wider platforms, removing all of the challenge.
  • The first level of Gong Heights slows down most of the bongos the monks hold and removes all the non-bongo monks, completely removing everything that made it interesting.
  • The tricky super helicopter part in Pencil Pentathlon that required precise movement is gone, replaced with a much more boring section.
  • The dark cave level now has a bunch of lights spread throughout. Weirdly, this doesn't actually make the level easier, it just removes a lot of the level's atmosphere and makes it feel less unique.
In general, every section that was hard in some way was changed to remove most of the challenge. I understand why they did this - most people think the original game was too hard - but doing this removes a lot of what made the game memorable. The original game has some of my favorite level design in a 2D platformer so seeing the remake continuously make changes for the worse was not fun. Some of my favorite levels are a complete bore in the remake. There's a lot of ways the game could have been made easier without making such major changes to the levels.

The core game's still Rayman, which is still fun, but all the changes make it feel like a vastly inferior version of the original game, even with all the additional content. Still, I'd highly recommend this to people who found the original to be too hard. It's definitely a much more forgiving experience.

I can't really disagree with any of your points, but I'm enjoying the game anyway. For me the novelty is enough, even if I'm not getting the same thrill of overcoming a challenging platforming section. Though I'm still in Band Land. Picture City has always been my favorite, and if that feels underwhelming, it might mar the experience a bit.

Edit: Well now that you mention it, I have a few other nitpick. The dialogue is totally unnecessary. The whole point of the little bits of story is that they're mimed. It's charming. Also, I don't like the sting that plays when you beat a level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jdh96

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Rayman_Redemption_6_21_2020_9_56_58_PM.png

Beat Mr Sax after a couple attempts wasn't that bad tbh I'm enjoying this quite a lot but, it reminds me how badly we need either Rayman 4 or a sequel to Origins/Legends to happen.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
What are the difficulty options? I think Original Rayman is fine once you use the 99 lives cheat to get around its arbitrary lives/continues system. I hope you can just toggle on an infinite lives mode instead of changing anything in the stages themselves

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Oh holy crap. I never would have thought of something like this happening. Thanks OP.

I'm sure it won't be like Rayman Origins and Legends, some of my favorite games ever made, but absolutely I'll check this out.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
More thoughts after a few more hours of play:
  • The bosses are all longer, with more phases, but that doesn't really add much to the game. For example, Mr. Stone has a second phase that is much easier than the first. It just sort of drags out the fight unnecessarily.
  • As mentioned above, the fact that there is still a progression of unlocks, but a different progression, is an odd choice. That makes me think that the game is for people who've played the original and are looking for something different. But if so, why the much easier difficulty?
  • The game gives lives out like a New Super Mario Bros game.
  • Some of the challenges are a lot harder than the standard levels.
  • The chases have all been made much easier. It takes a lot of the tension out.
  • The extra Bzzit stages are pretty fun, though insubstantial.
  • Some of the changes are strange, and I'd love to hear the reasoning behind them. The animation of killing the stone men is different.
All in all, not sure how I feel about the game yet. I'm excited to check out the brand new content. I also might go back and play Rayman Forever afterwards for comparison, but I might be a bit Rayman'd out after beating this.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I might not ever play it, but I downloaded it for posterity days ago, just in case Ubisoft decides to yank it down.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For example, Mr. Stone has a second phase that is much easier than the first. It just sort of drags out the fight unnecessarily.

Weirdly enough, that's the bit I'm struggling with. I can get through the first phase unscathed, but then something in my brain breaks and I can't figure out how to get him to a position where I can hit him as he's jumping. I can lure him to one side, then run to the other, swing off the ring and punch the pillar, but by that point he's already halfway across the screen again and it whiffs.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Weirdly enough, that's the bit I'm struggling with. I can get through the first phase unscathed, but then something in my brain breaks and I can't figure out how to get him to a position where I can hit him as he's jumping. I can lure him to one side, then run to the other, swing off the ring and punch the pillar, but by that point he's already halfway across the screen again and it whiffs.

Stand right up against the wall. His jumps should take him close to the edge, but with enough room for you to stand. He'll then do a shorter jump to land all the way at the wall. Run under that, swing on the ring, and punch the pillar.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Stand right up against the wall. His jumps should take him close to the edge, but with enough room for you to stand. He'll then do a shorter jump to land all the way at the wall. Run under that, swing on the ring, and punch the pillar.

Ah, I didn't realise there was enough room to stand there without taking damage. I'll give it a whirl, thanks.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
How would this be if I've never played the original? Or should I try to go track it down.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

Dang, thanks. Really all I had to read was your first point and I already wasn't down for this. That feeling of progression was great. Things I hoped they "fixed" was how arbatrary some cages seemed and how you needed all of them to even get the final boss. Shit was maddening back in the day.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. That looks exactly how I remember Rayman when I was a kid.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I still can't believe that this game can actually be completed.
As a kid, I was forever scarred by the difficulty of this game. And to this day, I've never seen the ending.

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
Hard to believe that there's an entire game after Band Land. I've been having a ton of fun with this port and it got me to reinstall all the other Rayman games on PC with mods. Looking forward to marathoning them all once I'm done with Redemption.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get over the fact that the exe is fricking 100mb.
I also don't get why this straight up includes all the assets instead of requiring an original copy for that.

WHY all these drastic changes? I don't want to play the early levels with all abilities already unlocked.

Did he reverse the entire game to make this?

I have so many questions

Holy shit. That looks exactly how I remember Rayman when I was a kid.

because it's using literally the same graphics lol