• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Budget I can see. Netflix doesn't seem to have an issue with spending money, but bending the elements and characters like Appa can make things tricky and those aren't things that can be downplayed.

You age up the cast too much, you lose what makes Avatar work. The characters' childlike innocence, naivety and banter are integral and stand in contrast to the adult world they inhibit. It's why goofiness works in Avatar but feels out of place in Korra.

Ive always felt that live action Avatar would be tricky to make for this reason, especially if the show is supposed to go on for more than 2 seasons.

Oct 29, 2017
Marco Polo fucking slaps and it hurts that it is no more. I remember bonding with a friend's father over the show.

Death Note? but I only read the first two or three books so I don't know how important Japan is in the whole series but yeah Death Note. Though it was also very early Netflix Originals.

The entirety of Death Note takes place in Japan, if I'm remembering correctly. It's been years since I've read through the manga.

Changing the setting was the least of the Netflix Death Note's problems, in my opinion. They destroyed each of the characters in various ways it might as well have been a completely different series. And the writing and acting were horrrrrible.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I had just passed a post on Reddit mentioning that this is unverified clickbait. I kind of want to believe that that is true cause it seems so unrealistic

Oct 27, 2017
You age up the cast too much, you lose what makes Avatar work. The characters' childlike innocence, naivety and banter are integral and stand in contrast to the adult world they inhibit. It's why goofiness works in Avatar but feels out of place in Korra.

Avatar deserves nothing less than a cast of children with the acting calibre of the Stranger Things actors.

Top tier child actors these days are seemingly better than ever and that show demonstrates that you can have a show led by children, talking like children, with huge mass appeal. The difficult part, naturally, is finding actors of that calibre.
Rewatching it on Netflix, I wasn't a fan of the goofiness of Avatar in the beginning anyway, and much preferred the overall tone in Korra. Not to mention there is a huge range between children and adults. You mention Stranger Things, but that was closer in tone to Korra than TLA as well

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'm not against them aging them up a bit and making it slightly more adult in tone. Makes sense considering the audience has aged up a bit as well and it would set it apart from the animated version more. I don't know if it's a good idea to go too much darker than say Korra though. It's going to lose a lot of charm if it doesn't have that goofy humor of the animated show and that won't square well with that tone.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Edit: nvm, update makes it seem like fake trash from a trash person

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I would not feel relieved about this. The original creators leaving for "creative differences" is rarely EVER a good thing. Good they let everyone know where this source come from so we know not to trust it, but I remain skeptical this series will be good. If that Avatar fan twitter still is...that just makes me more skeptical, frankly.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This article is so easy to fake. See that people are disappointed at the departure of talent. Exact reasons aren't given. What are the worst reasons for creators to leave a show. White cast, HBO up a family friendly show, and other reasons to get fans outraged. Start your own conspiracy theories on your website to get traffic. They thrive on outrage and confirmation bias.

FandomWire are not a reputable outlet. They often do clickbait articles with fake news to drive clicks, then will delete after debunked.

FandomWire spoke exclusively to multiple sources inside Netflix and the upcoming Avatar The Last Airbender series itself to confirm the real reasons behind their exit:​
Oh yeah not suspicious at all that insiders in Netflix and ATLA series would speak only to a niche catch all geek clickbait outlet with a max of 3-5 writers compared to many more popular Avatar fan sites, or any other reputable long running news outlets.

tenor.gif

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I guess in retrospect this seems obvious. What kind of audience is there for a kid-friendly fantasy series that costs as much as other pricey fantasy live-action shows like The Witcher or Game of Thrones? Maybe the whole idea of adopting Avatar to live action is a flawed one.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FandomWire might be a complete bullshit site (I wouldn't know, I don't know them, or care to know them), but thinking about it, this is probably the only way anyone is ever going to learn anything about what went down. We're basically never going to hear any of this from any official sources. Netflix won't talk about this (not even to throw Mike and Bryan under the bus and save themselves), because that would be horribly unprofessional, and Mike and Bryan won't say any more because they've probably said too much already and done damage to their careers.

Both sides might be EAGER to get their word out, but they can't do it. Maybe not even to "reputable fan sites". Like, if a reputable site says "We talked to Netflix insiders, and Netflix says that Mike and Bryan are shit" then that's not very far removed from Netflix saying it themselves, and that's a big no-no. If a reputable site has Mike and Bryan's side of things, then we'll know that's their true side of things, but that will also reflect badly on Mike and Bryan. Right now both sides need their side of the story to get out, but both sides also need to not speak.

But if you talk to a bullshit site, and then the bullshit site says they got the info from vague "insiders", then there's deniability.

IMO, the key thing hinting that this story is bullshit is that this tabloid clickbait site allegedly got leaks from both sides. Unless both sides are leaking like a sieve to all sorts of sites, how did one site happen to land upon a matching set of leaks? Seems possible, but unlikely. But hey, perhaps the presence of false info will push the real sources to leak more, to correct the unofficial record, so maybe there's value even in bullshit.

Setting aside the truthfulness of the article, at the very least the reasons provided seem plausible.

I could absolutely see Mike and Bryan wanting to spare no expense in this production (in animation, you can do anything you can think of, but live action is grounded, and bending reality costs money), while Netflix would obviously be looking for the bare minimum required expense to get to the heart of the story. Like, do you really need a lion-turtle? What if it's just a close-up shot of an ordinary turtle (making it look big)? Oh, that would undermine the "bear" joke. But is the "bear" joke really worth the expense?

I could also see Mike and Bryan taking a hardline "no white people, whatsoever" stance, because they absolutely don't want to be dragged through the Shyamalan movie experience again, and whitewashing was one of the loudest complaints about that movie, while Netflix might be fine with at least considering some white people, for the sake of pragmatism, and might not consider that to be whitewashing. Netflix is maybe not as afraid of the specter of the Shyamalan movie as Mike and Bryan are.

And for the age and tone, I could see Mike and Bryan wanting faithful adherence to the successful work that they did already, while Netflix might be more likely to ask what a lot of us have been asking, "What's the point in trying to do exactly what you did before, but worse? Why don't we mix it up a bit and put a new spin on things?" And aging the cast up potentially makes casting easier (especially if Mike and Bryan are already at odds over the casting), and could make some of the story conflicts work better, and could open the door to new conflicts.

For a bullshit theory, it's a pretty good theory.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I mean even though this is likely bullshit, the part about diversity said nothing specifically about making the main cast white and I want to believe that at worst Netflix was considering having white people as extras or minor roles. Like I dunno why everybody seemed to read that paragraph as meaning "NETFLIX IS GOING TO MAKE THE ENTIRE LEAD CAST WHITE".

Status
Not open for further replies.