• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Its absurd. Its just a "shut the fuck up and keep the status quo."
The status quo is the masculine term and this thread is loaded with people telling an author to shut the fuck up while completely erasing her identity and concerns. The non-american latino community is the majority voice in here and out there, not the victimized minority.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
The status quo is the masculine term and this thread is loaded with people telling an author to shut the fuck up while completely erasing her identity and concerns. The non-american latino community is the majority voice in here and out there, not the victimized minority.

Wh-

what?

WHAT?

I just, lmao, I will just get out of here. Keep that american stuff coming.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
No. It doesn't happen. No bilingual speaker says anything like: "and then I drank a cerveza and had some manzanas with breakfast."
If anything the thing that is most common for me, is that the Spanish pronunciation for a particular letter will escape, particularly the Spanish vs English "i"s

As someone living in Miami this is kinda how we talk all the time. "Spanglish" is extremely prevalent here.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I hate that trend, I said it before and will say it again, we're capable of speaking English without throwing random Spanish words in our speech, sometimes it might be fun, but not all the time, and certainly not when it doesn't make sense.
I think TLoU P2 failed in one regard but was also very nice about another detail:
There's a sniper section in TLoU P2 where Manny randomly says a whole sentence in Spanish, but it doesn't make sense to say it there. Anyway, something nice that the game did was have Abby throw a couple of Spanish words in there during their banter, that was really nice to see as it hardly ever happens and shows their deeper degree of friendship.
I really didn't like Manny's introduction as he appeared to be written with cliches, as mentioned in the article, but I did like him during the scene you mentioned.

He and Abby seemed to have good chemistry during the sniper mission. I think it comes down to the banter you mentioned. It was able to convey the friendship between the two of them in a way that felt far more natural than the introduction.

It sucks that they got rid of him right at the end of that scene but everyone in Abby's storyline outside of Lev was disposable for the sake of the plot. He wasn't utilized too much outside of Day 1 but I think things would have been improved had they added similar banter earlier on in Abby's story.

As for upcoming games like Far Cry 6 (and the others in the article as well) , do we know if any Latino/Latina writers are involved? Many white writers are simply unaware of cliches (not defending them, just drawing attention to the fact that many white people believe racism begins and ends with overt discrimination) and I imagine greater diversity in staffs would yield better written minority characters.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
People that hate "latinx": how non-binary people should refer to themselves?

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I laughed but it's so sad.
Did you see how many poligons where used to render his full beard and open shirted chest? Favorite part of the game was when he started to speak half english, half vaguely sounding catalan spanish.

The flashbacks on Buenos Aires, the Brazil Capital, were really emotional too.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
As a born and raised latin american person, my issue with latin american representation in media (movies, games, etc.), is that is always white people writing brown people who refuse to speak a language properly, are always religious fanatics with some kind of mystical ideology, and almost always are some kind of multicultural pastiche that is as weird as mixing american, german, swedish and croatian traits and just call it "white representation".

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
One of my friends from Chile told me that Latino means people from Latin America, and Hispanic is used for people from Spanish-speaking populations (i.e. Spain). Can the community here confirm this for me?

Dunno where people from Equatorial Guinea fit in.

Yes. But then again people from Latin America don't say "I'm latin(american)" unless they're talking on a broad sense, they say "I'm [country demonym]", maybe latin americans in USA say they're latin/hispanic first.

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Fanbyte: Portrayals of Latinx Characters in 2020 Video Games Already Have Me Tired [See Staff Post]

Taking a minute to read the article but want to reply to this first: Using "x" is garbo and ableist since it fuck ups with text to speech software - and just is hard/weird to vocalize in general, which, in itself is an issue since it makes people write it but not say it. What (some) the...
Edit- now, lemme be clear here. I dunno how the nb folks "should" call themselves. It's part of the reason I am deferring to their opinion with the linked article in the first place.

and all this because people identify themselves a latinx, obviously, the root of all evil
Holy shit. Fuck y'all, seriously.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here in Brazil, everyone, and I mean everyone, uses the "E" ending word. Instead of "MeninA or meninO", they use "MeninE". X doesnt make a single ounce of sense for a spanish or portuguese speaking country.

ozzyh26

Oct 28, 2017
Latino. Or Hispanic person if that's not acceptable.

On reflection I ultimately think people should be able to call themselves what they want. However, I feel the issue here is what many others have pointed out in that the term "Latinx" both doesn't make sense for our language in how it's spoken and wasn't a tern coined by our own community. We don't need to be told how to refer to ourselves by white people in this country.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I'm so tired of the accents. We don't all have accents, especially if we were raised in the US. It's like they don't know how else to convey that the character is latino or latina.
Yeah for real. I've had a few encounters where someone will say "wow you don't have an accent at all" and I've gotten to the point where I just say "yeah no shit, I was born and raised in Washington State". It makes me wonder about people.

Manny was jarring for me. Literally the only dude with an accent in that game just because he was Latino. I like him as a character it was just annoying at first. Honestly it could have been justified with some little heart to heart with Abby.

He could have talked about how for the first few years trying to survive it was just him and his family who only knew Spanish or something. At least that way the accent was justified but nope, nothing.

Also Latinx sucks, hate that phrase.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

Yes, I, constantly fighting against people like JK Rowling and educating others about trans issues, am now a transphobe. Sure.

I do hope you realized I was talking in the vein of "Hatsune Miku wrote Harry Potter". But I am sure jumping to personal attacks hasn't helped with that.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
How about we discuss the article, nitpicking terms is dismissive and derailing. Feel free to create a thread discussing terms that does not dismiss serious issues.

Sorry, but as a "latinx" person I find this post dismissive.

Most people complaining about the term are Latinos themselves, and maybe, just maybe, having the freedom to complain about the way they want to be called themselves is a representation issue???

But with this wording you just said, shut up and discuss the article. Now what will really happen is that the Latinos in this thread will abandon it and will just be people outside of the community speaking about us.

How you would find if this happened with the black community or LGBTQ+. Saying "stop nitpicking" when they don't like a term used on a article?

Maybe I could understand the mod team wanting to not derail the thread. But the wording be so much better. Something like "we understand that the term Latinx is very polarizing in Latin America, and while this discussion have a place on this site, it's on this thread. We (mod team) encourage the community to make a thread about this or even to have a talk about the Latin community so we can moderate better the issues"

Not this post which frankly is very patronizing.

Edit: I edited the "white people" out of the post. What i mean is that even if American progressives want to help us, they shouldn't be telling us that a discussion about the term to refer ourselves is nitpicking

Last edited:

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Taking a minute to read the article but want to reply to this first:

Using "x" is garbo and ableist since it fuck ups with text to speech software - and just is hard/weird to vocalize in general, which, in itself is an issue since it makes people write it but not say it. What (some) the portuguese speaking community tries to do is use "e" (or "i") instead.

An old article on the issue (in portuguese): https://identidades.wikia.org/pt-br/wiki/Deixando_o_X_para_trás_na_linguagem_neutra_de_gênero

But anyway, my biggest issue with the "latinx" term (not the use of "x" or neutral language), is that it's a term birthed from the USA to identify the entirety of latin america. And that's not where the "name" of our identity should come from. That's just neoimperialism shit, well intentioned or not. Give us our time and let us form our own shit.

Feminist movements also have an issue with it since it took a fucking lot of effort for "latina" to even be used in a lot of places.

It's a mess and one that the USA should not be poking its nose at. It's not their issue.
That's kind of offensive to non-binary members of the community. I really sincerely hope you are not dismissing their concerns here with the feminist movement comment.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Elles. Nosotres. Yo. Personas no binarias.

That is how most people do it. It's really not that difficult to pronounce an -e, compared to an -x.
www.resetera.com

Fanbyte: Portrayals of Latinx Characters in 2020 Video Games Already Have Me Tired [See Staff Post]

Taking a minute to read the article but want to reply to this first: Using "x" is garbo and ableist since it fuck ups with text to speech software - and just is hard/weird to vocalize in general, which, in itself is an issue since it makes people write it but not say it. What (some) the...
Edit- now, lemme be clear here. I dunno how the nb folks "should" call themselves. It's part of the reason I am deferring to their opinion with the linked article in the first place.

Holy shit. Fuck y'all, seriously.
Here in Brazil, everyone, and I mean everyone, uses the "E" ending word. Instead of "MeninA or meninO", they use "MeninE". X doesnt make a single ounce of sense for a spanish or portuguese speaking country.

Thanks, it makes sense. I will do it from now on.

Never realized that the x cause problems to text to speech softwares.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but as a "latinx" person I find this post dismissive.

Most people complaining about the term are Latinos themselves, and maybe, just maybe, having the freedom to complain about the way they want to be called themselves is a representation issue???

But with this wording you just said, shut up and discuss the article. Now what will really happen is that the Latinos in this thread will abandon it and will just be white people speaking about us.

How you would find if this happened with the black community or LGBTQ+. Saying "stop nitpicking" when they don't like a term used on a article?

Maybe I could understand the mod team wanting to not derail the thread. But the wording be so much better. Something like "we understand that the term Latinx is very polarizing in Latin America, and while this discussion have a place on this site, it's on this thread. We (mod team) encourage the community to make a thread about this or even to have a talk about the Latin community so we can moderate better the issues"

Not this post which frankly is very patronizing.
I will bet all the money in my pocket vs all the money in your pocket that most of the participation in this thread speak spanish and that the divide is progressives in the US vs those not in it..

Getting tired of people thinking I'm white, or calling the author white.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah for real. I've had a few encounters where someone will say "wow you don't have an accent at all" and I've gotten to the point where I just say "yeah no shit, I was born and raised in Washington State". It makes me wonder about people.

Manny was jarring for me. Literally the only dude with an accent in that game just because he was Latino. I like him as a character it was just annoying at first. Honestly it could have been justified with some little heart to heart with Abby.

He could have talked about how for the first few years trying to survive it was just him and his family who only knew Spanish or something. At least that way the accent was justified but nope, nothing.

Also Latinx sucks, hate that phrase.
I think he had two moments where he spoke pure Spanish , one with his father and another later one where he was kinda just talking to himself. Those were great and the only times where it felt natural. Those two moments were all we needed to know "hey this guy's latino, cool" in case the name Manuel didn't already give it away.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will bet all the money in my pocket vs all the money in your pocket that most of the participation in this thread speak spanish and that the divide is progressives in the US vs those not in it..

People in this thread are explicitely complaining that the term Latinx is an american creation to generalize a whole continent of people in a neat, english sounding way. Even your fucking wording is "People on the US and everyone else".

I Speak portuguese. Latinx doesnt make any sense.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017

Yes, I was wrong and I will edit my reply. The correct term would be American/European. Not white, after all even the writer is Latin American, and while she IS a part of the community, she still have a very American point of view of the issues.

Not to dismiss her, and her point is super valid.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread are explicitely complaining that the term Latinx is an american creation to generalize a whole continent of people in a neat, english sounding way. Even your fucking wording is "People on the US and everyone else".

I Speak portuguese. Latinx doesnt make any sense.
Then we really don't disagree on anything. I doubt people here care if you use something else to describe your ethnic grouping and aren't demanding that you change. Similarly, if you read an article written from an american perspective, there's little reason to chide the author for using 'latinx' or to frame any misunderstanding about it in the weird passive-aggressiveness shrouding this thread.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
The gender neutral movement I've seen in spanish to replace masculine as neutral is using an E, not an X. The x is only for some people that write stuff like "Hola cómo están chicxs" in text chat, but those same people also use an @ sometimes for the same effect, and never in a formal environment. All the people looking for an actual change in the language go for an E.

The X makes no sense when you read it in spanish, how the hell do you pronounce it? "Latin-equis"? "Latincs"?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
weird how this thread just quietly shifted from blaming it on "white people" to blaming it on "americans" when people brought up the writer wasnt white

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This started off the back of the thread title mind, and the author isn't white.
But shes american. Its not hard to understand and have a little compassion for people in south america that its a catch all term to generalise and compact a group of countries that have a ridiculous amount of differences between then. With the exception of one person here on ERA that I play Destiny with, every single american person I ever met online asked me if I speak Spanish.

I dont. And I'm still latino.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the context of 'how does the spanish-speaking diaspora refer to itself' the term 'latino' is higher prevalence.
You are perceiving a minority in an anglo-centric board as bigger than it is in order to frame yourself as disadvantaged.

And we know very well which group of increasibly dangerous group of idiologues uses that logic to keep our people in cages, right?

Last edited:

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I actually really liked Manny. He just wanted to chill and watch anime. :[

The Spanglish thing doesn't bother me at all, but that's likely due to me being Hispanic in NYC.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really happen, though. It's as Hollywood-created as the yellow color-grade in Mexico.

What happens mostly is the opposite. Rich Spanish/Portuguese native speakers throwing in English words in the middle of everything. We call them by the scientific term "assholes".

Yep. But I guess we shouldn't talk about that either since talking about the cultural Americanization of Latin America apparently is nitpicking.

Seriously now, is it that hard to say Hispanic people or Latin people? Have not learned by now that using adjectives as nouns is dehumanizing and othering?

As a Latina who always felt bothered by the male version being used as the plural standard in romance languages, I'd prefer Latin for sure [Hispanic doesn't include the Latin American countries that don't speak Spanish]. You can find an option that is inclusive and at the same time isn't a US-centric forced down the throats of Latinos and Latinas who don't want to be referred by another US-centric label. BTW as many people mentioned before, the ''e'' version is also used in Brazil for non-binary people, and also the option ''pessoas não binárias''. ''Latinx'' isn't the only option and shouldn't be forced upon us. Not to mention that ''x/@'' words are a problem when it comes to text to speech software, and therefore, are ableist.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
My family did all the time with spanish/english growing up. It was my aunts and uncles, the in between generation, who were using two languages fluently on a daily basis. When talking each other, they seemed to prefer english but they would go back and forth constantly.
As someone living in Miami this is kinda how we talk all the time. "Spanglish" is extremely prevalent here.
I stand corrected. Wonder if it's the difference between being native bilingual, and learning English as ESL like me and (most) bilingual people I know did. We'll switch language for entire sentences, not specific words in a sentence

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
The dumbest "previous posts" gotcha on the site. Amazing!

You see, when I uphold "death of the author" and (since I haven't read the books and I haven't given money to that fucking TERF) I convey "The stories I watched (movies) I think will not be tainted by this fucking TERF, because I'll try to think Hatsune Miku or some random dumbass wrote these stories" means that I am transphobic, somehow.

Anyways, it's okay. I know what I do in real life anyways. If someone is comfortable using latinx, I would ask them to use latine so that everyone is included, also hard of hearing people (if this term is incorrect or a slur please do let me know) or people with pronunciation problems etc. But if someone doesn't want to, I can't really do anything.

--

About code switching, I would be interested to see how diferent it is for native bilinguals and ESL people. In my case I am ESL and I tend to do code-switching from spanish to english ("Ay, que fancy es esto") instead of the opposite, which I feel might be more usual for native bilingual speakers of both languages?