• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
nintendologo.png
Imran Khan said:
An email sent by Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser sent on Friday, November 19 addresses the Activision-Blizzard report. The email went out to all levels of Nintendo of America, including internal development houses like Retro Studios and the newly-acquired Next-Level Games.

"Along with all of you, I've been following the latest developments with Activision Blizzard and the ongoing reports of sexual harassment and toxicity at the company," Bowser begins. "I find these accounts distressing and disturbing, They run counter to my values as well as Nintendo's beliefs, values and policies."
Imran Khan said:
He does, however, make mention of the ESA: a lobbying organization of which both Nintendo and Activison-Blizzard are members. Bowser says Nintendo has been working with the ESA as of at least last week to strengthen stances on harassment and abuse in the workplace and that the ESA must hold its members to the highest standard.

"Every company in the industry must create an environment where everyone is respected and treated as equals, and where all understand the consequences of not doing so."
Good to see all 3 console makers keeping up the pressure on Activision Blizzard.

Source: Fanbyte

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome! :D And isn't Doug the only one of the three to be doing something tangible with him working with the ESA?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Some choice quotes from the article (written by Imran).
Imran Khan said:
An email sent by Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser sent on Friday, November 19 addresses the Activision-Blizzard report. The email went out to all levels of Nintendo of America, including internal development houses like Retro Studios and the newly-acquired Next-Level Games.

"Along with all of you, I've been following the latest developments with Activision Blizzard and the ongoing reports of sexual harassment and toxicity at the company," Bowser begins. "I find these accounts distressing and disturbing, They run counter to my values as well as Nintendo's beliefs, values and policies."
Imran Khan said:
He does, however, make mention of the ESA: a lobbying organization of which both Nintendo and Activison-Blizzard are members. Bowser says Nintendo has been working with the ESA as of at least last week to strengthen stances on harassment and abuse in the workplace and that the ESA must hold its members to the highest standard.

"Every company in the industry must create an environment where everyone is respected and treated as equals, and where all understand the consequences of not doing so."

At least with Nintendo, their words don't ring as hollow in contrast with internal issues of their own compared to the likes of Sony & Microsoft. To be clear, I'm not saying that Sony & Microsoft shouldn't also put forth the pressure. But rather that they should lead by example and clean up shop in-house.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
So what partners are left to complain about Activision Blizzard?

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020

At least with Nintendo, their words don't ring as hollow in contrast with internal issues of their own compared to the likes of Sony & Microsoft. To be clear, I'm not saying that Sony & Microsoft shouldn't also put forth the pressure. But rather that they should lead by example and clean up shop in-house.
Just curious because I do not known about. What Microsoft studios has had problems?

Oct 26, 2017
Just curious because I do not known about. What Microsoft studios has had problems?
This most likely:

www.resetera.com

Xbox Brasil dismisses new host after she was the victim of death and rape threats. (See Threadmark: Microsoft Responds)

Translation of her message: Basically appeal to the gamergate crowd. Fuck this, I'm fuming, first the "Mil Grau" situation and now this shit. Xbox Brasil are shit. If there was someone that didn't deserve this, it was her. Thank you for bringing this to light The Era of Yakuza Update...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
You know it has become a widely-known and bigger issue when even Nintendo issues a statement on it. Good.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
We've had public comments from folks at MS and Sony, and now this at Nintendo. It's not a public statement, but the fact they're talking with the ESA is great news. Hope Kotick is enjoying this.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Brilliant from all 3 CEO's/Presidents, let's just hope this is a hard lesson that needs to be learnt to never let this happen again. Yes we all know it will/may do, but it should never have been allowed at this large scale for so long.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I believe that Nintendo does things internally all the time. It's just so incredibly rare for anything internal to leak to the public.
Honestly, all these leaks are probably on purpose. They're internal so they don't have to commit to anything and can wait to see how things develop, but they're still public enough so pressure is getting applied regardless.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
how is an internal memo, keeping the pressure? the fuck
Though without detail, Bowser also says representatives at Nintendo have been "in contact with Activision, have taken action and are assessing others." It is not entirely clear what actions Bowser is referring to here or which ones they are still leaving on the table.
companies can take action and put pressure on activision without doing it all in the public eye

i swear people act like social media statements are the only things that actually count????

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
User warned: thread derail
I still think this story is big enough where Era should be taking a stand as a community and banning all Activision OTs and hype threads until at least Bobby is gone, in solidarity with the employees who have walked out and who are trying to make things better.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
how is an internal memo, keeping the pressure? the fuck
Well it says in the memo that they're talking with the ESA, wanting to hold its members to a higher standard. Just because it's not public doesn't mean that's not applying pressure on Activision behind the scenes.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see that all of the big platform holders are reacting with a collective "yo what the fuck."

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
companies can take action and put pressure on activision without doing it all in the public eye

i swear people act like social media statements are the only things that actually count????
Indeed, social media status's are for PR.

In actual business terms you don't do dirty laundry publicly generally, you discuss it directly with your stakeholders/business partners. It's good for pressure but they are business partners and seem to be acting as such with pressure behind the scenes.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Frankly didn't expect any comment from Nintendo on this at all, but it's nice to be wrong in this case.

The big three have all spoken on Kotick now; get him and his crooked board out of there.

APlf.gif

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019

I vaguely remember a Wii U era scandal with one of the female employees that presented at E3 getting fired in a sketchy way?

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I thought it was an internal memo also meant as a press release or something lol. Well then, how about a public statement Nintendo? It's probably coming.
Nobody has made a public statement yet, it's all been leaked internal memos.

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, but the other person saying "credit where credit is due" had me scratching my head as well. Not knocking them, but if this is going to be a good job Nintendo thread, the bar is pretty low.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Probably referencing Allison Rapp from NoA who got fired for moonlighting as a nude model (you can see why Nintendo isn't into that), but folks mistook that as her being fired due to being a GamerGate target.
Don't want to keep continuing on this tangent further, but it might be better for us to dig out an actual article instead of half-remembered details.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Nintendo denies bowing to GamerGate pressure in employee firing

UpdateThe executive director of the International Game Developers Association, Kate Edwards, has spoken out on Nintendo…

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Great that Nintendo is actively talking with the ESA to share their concerns and distance themselves from such toxic work cultures.

At a certain point cases of misconduct is sadly hard to eliminate when companies reach a certain size and employ a lot of people, but when such issues occur they must be met with swift resolution and not hidden away.

I hope we begin to see a more aggressive response against companies that abuses the very workforce responsible for it's success, it's long overdue in entertainment at this point.