• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
https://www.metroid-database.com/prime-2d-demo-is-here/

P2D_1.png

P2D_3.png

P2D_2.png

Mighty impressive I gotta say.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Mouse controls allow for some precise shooting. It's a shame that Nintendo ninjas are already on their way.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Wow looks great! Should be a wake-up call to Nintendo EPD to develop a new 2D Metroid game (or at least port Samus Returns to the Switch already lol)

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
While cool, seems ill-considered to bring this public attention before the full release is ready...

Cellsplitter

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Two things.
1. Very well made but I dislike playing a Metroid game w/ mouse and keyboard. Would've liked a controller option.
2. STFU. Don't show this shit until it's done! Nintendo ninjas are coming you dummies!

Oct 27, 2017
nintendo will continue to do the bare minimum with this franchise and then punish anyone trying to have fun with it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow looks great! Should be a wake-up call to Nintendo EPD to develop a new 2D Metroid game (or at least port Samus Returns to the Switch already lol)
Still a bit surprised there hasn't been a port of it at this point. I get that it is a 3DS game so it's not just a straight port but MercurySteam did bring Mirror of Fate to HD previously so they do have experience in doing a similar work. And if it's because Mercury is too busy making a new Metroid Nintendo could always contract it to another studio. Oh well.

RedSpring

Aug 23, 2020
Look dope. Sprite work is great. Font choice could be better though. The words are just too close together and hard to read.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great but I never understand showing these Nintendo projects publically before they're 100% done.

You already know this will be shut down in two weeks' time. Nintendo takes their copyright and trademark to the max, they aren't playing around when it comes to use or precedence.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is as far as they ever wanted to go with this, looks cool.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
This look way better then any 2d metroid....

And nintendo will always destroy the fun. like usual.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, that looks great! I think the footsteps are a little too loud but other than that looks aces. Scared for them though, if this gets too much attention.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Why are people saying Nintendo will stop this when I have played multiple metroid fan games including AM2R which is better than Nintendo's own remake.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Why are people saying Nintendo will stop this when I have played multiple metroid fan games including AM2R which is better than Nintendo's own remake.
Because this is clearly a Metroid game. And Nintendo doesn't like that fan games are mostly more meaty than their own games. To be honest. Shouldn't this show people want more Metroid games ? For how long is Metroid prime 4 in development?

Oct 30, 2017
It's 2021 and people still haven't caught on to the fact that you shouldn't show anything related to a fan game based on a Nintendo IP pre release. Huh.

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, you do realize AM2R was stopped by Nintendo right? Only reason we have the full game is they were smart by releasing it when it was actually done. The can no longer provide a download or release new builds of the game.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Uhh, you do realize AM2R was stopped by Nintendo right? Only reason we have the full game is they were smart by releasing it when it was actually done. The can no longer provide a download or release new builds of the game.

I did a google search and there is a download link to a new updated 1.5 version that you can easily download...

Edit: I see they were hit by Nintendo but yeah it's weird that this one site has an updated version they say

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Do you guys like destroying fan games? Soon Kotaku will get their icky paws on this thread and have it dazzling on their front page "Here papa nintendo, another game you need to remove"

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
Played this yesterday using Steam's big picture mode on the GPD Win Max, awesome demo.

Can't wait for the complete game.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it looks great and I love the idea...

However as much as I know it's sacrilege to say, scanning in Prime fucking sucks and I hate it.

2D Metroid is so good because of the speed and movement and that mechanic more than anything else just grinds on me like no other and this feels even worse than it did in Prime when I watch it.

Great stuff, but it doesn't need to be so faithful I don't think.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
lol why would you release this when everyone knows how Nintendo is about these sorts of fan projects?

Oct 25, 2017
I did a google search and there is a download link to a new updated 1.5 version that you can easily download...

Edit: I see they were hit by Nintendo but yeah it's weird that this one site has an updated version they say
Another team has been working on the project since the DMCA takedown years ago, the original dev of AM2R is working at MOON Studios now. AM2R was put in the spotlight and Nintendo put an end to it. It is pretty funny that its still getting updated from another team entirely though.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
It's Metroid 35th anniversary and Nintendo will surely have something Metroid to show this year. (likely in June)
They chose the absolutely worst time to reveal this demo.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This is one of the most impressive fan made things of this caliber I've ever seen. Love how they integrated the scan visor.

Way WAY back in the day I kind of hoped Nintendo would make an official version of this. Do a combo deal where Metroid Zero Mission was in the Prime engine and Prime was in the Zero Mission engine.

I hope if Nintendo does take it down they can alter the sprites to be their own thing like what happens sometimes with fan games.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Dogpiling the devs for releasing this seems kind of silly. Toiling away in silence for years is not fun, and they shouldn't have to do that. Besides that, maybe they want to generate interest so they can get more people involved. Maybe they just want to stop here. Who knows.

Cool project though, would definitely check it out if it's ever completed.