• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AOL Power User

alt account
Banned
Oct 4, 2021
Seattle, WA
A lot of great ones mentioned - I would also put in Power Bomberman

FEATURES:
  • Frantic gameplay up to 12 players
  • Battle Mode includes Quick Battle, Local Battle and Online Battle (no port forwarding required - just connect to the main server and have at it)
  • 5 different Battle Mode rules
    • Survival Battle - last man standing wins
    • Reversi Battle - paint as many tiles as you can
    • Dodge Battle - avoid bombs falling from above
    • Hyper Bomber - collect key items and reach the gate
    • King Battle - get the crown, keep the crown
  • Score Mode - a remake of NES Bomberman game, also including an amped-up Turbo mode
  • Plethora of different items, many of which you already know and love, some never seen before (if you're not into it though, worry not - you can turn them off)
  • Over 350 playable characters from series' entire lifespan, including some Konami guests
  • Over 40 stages, totaling nearly 300 variants to play on
  • Many different settings, from Revenge Bomber and Sudden Death known from the original games to more in-depth ones like bomb fuse, explosion timing or damage caused by the Pressure Blocks
  • and more!
3450104664a61bd655f44f17b3e268069718ab41.gif

8e961cdf74af5d375c5f5963a387ccacfc3f4beb.pnj
I left this thread open on my phone on accident and just went back through this. This looks AMAZING. Thank you!!

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
AM2R is in my Metroid chronology, its just absolutely outstanding. Its better than the original Metroid 2 - and in particular Metroid Samus Returns 3DS - by a long shot. I know it would be tremendously out of character for Nintendo, but they should have done a Sonic Mania with the developer and worked with them to afford the game an official release, it is simply THAT good.
Never undertood why people keep confusing what happened with Mania, the reason Sonic Mania is a thing is because Taxman, who already worked with them for the mobile ports, showed them a prototype so it wasn't simply Sega giving some random "fans" a chance

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Some legit amazing games in here - Black Mesa, AM2R, SORR… Anybody saying there aren't any are way off. Hope we see much more of this in the future, it's a wonderful thing about gaming.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
The Unity remake/port of Daggerfall is pretty much the definitive version of the game now, as well as being the only real successful "let's port this Elder Scrolls game to a different engine" project (Morroblivion is kinda half finished but Morrowind in Oblviion's engine doesn't really work so well plus it's still missing a bunch of features). It took around 7 years IIRC from the start of development to the Beta version of the full game.

Sonic Mania is basically a fangame that was funded by Sega.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
All of the Drayano Pokemon games.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
King's Quest II: Romancing the Stones remake by AGD Interactive.

Of course, the EGA-to-VGA transition is a factor, but AGDI's King's Quest II remake has transformed the most MEH middle of the road entry of the series into one of its most interesting ones, featuring better puzzles, connection to the KQ lore that would be established more in detail in the future starting with KQ3, good characters, and some twists for KQ fans as well!

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
Black Mesa, Sonic Robo Blast 2, and AM2R are all great examples.

One that I haven't seen mentioned is Super Mario Land 2 DX which is more of a romhack than a fan game but completely replaces the original release for me anytime I want to go back to the game. It's shocking Nintendo never put this gem out in full color on GBC or later and DX just fixes that without any fan additions that feel off.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
King's Quest II: Romancing the Stones remake by AGD Interactive.

Of course, the EGA-to-VGA transition is a factor, but AGDI's King's Quest II remake has transformed the most MEH middle of the road entry of the series into one of its most interesting ones, featuring better puzzles, connection to the KQ lore that would be established more in detail in the future starting with KQ3, good characters, and some twists for KQ fans as well!

Oh yeah, right! That's a really good one. Their Quest for Glory II remake is also great, although the foundation is much stronger there.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I know there's some... questionable and relatively lower quality ones too, but this may as well be Touhou: the thread. Granted the main series is shmups and there are a number of offshoots that are of lesser quality, but then you have stuff like Luna Nights that's just exquisite. It's probably one of the franchises with some of, if not the, highest number of fan games, regardless of whether you count hacked commercial games as fan games.

THube

Oct 27, 2017
Late to this thread so I'm talking to a brick wall here, but I gotta add another voice to the crowd saying that Sonic Mania absolutely does not count as a fan game. Sonic Team was directly involved in the thing, for crying out loud. The distinction is quite important-- the financial backing they were given, alone, makes an enormous difference for the devs.

All that said, Sonic fangames are incredible. I'm very excited to play the Mania-styled Sonic Chaos remake that was shown off a few years ago:

While this is a mod, I have to mention that I was also a huge fan of Portal Reloaded. The "time portal" mechanic is very well considered. Just a great pack of puzzles.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
This one absolutely, Power Bomberman:

It's like a giant celebration of Bomberman / Hudson / Konami legacy with the series and it even has full working online with servers and lobbies.