• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
If it's two discs, I really do hope they pull a Type-0 PSP disc swap just to make things even more needlessly complex.

Just a reminder, Type-0 on PSP came with 2 UMDs. You played the first stage on the first, play the rest on the second, and switch to the first UMD again to play the final stage. Or something like that.
Star Ocean 4 on Xbox 360 was similar to this. After you moved to disc 3 for the last part of the game you had to backwards disc swap if you wanted to return to previous planets, then do it again to proceed further in the game. It also had no dual audio unlike the PS3 version because they could only fit one audio track.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
If it's two discs, I really do hope they pull a Type-0 PSP disc swap just to make things even more needlessly complex.

Just a reminder, Type-0 on PSP came with 2 UMDs. You played the first stage on the first, play the rest on the second, and switch to the first UMD again to play the final stage. Or something like that.
Thankfully, every console comes with an harddrive of at least 500gb

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
They know exactly that people want the complete story, even in this forum we saw the ridiculous attempt to damage control by pushing forward "parts" instead of "episodes". The ommision of this information at E3 probably is intentional and in turn misleading.
How is it damage control knowing how big FF7 and its variety of iconic locations is compared to most current games if you're going to build out the scale of these places to AAA full 3D levels instead of small pre-rendered areas that cover huge locations in a handful of screens?

That said, it's ridiculous that they're not putting part 1 on the case.

The complete lack of a Midgar mention is what really sticks out. Its such a deliberate omission because you could easily hype up it being Midgar only with Pr speak.

"This first entry will focus on and expand on the iconic Midgar section and will truly make Midgar come to life as a big vast city"

Something like that
This. I think plenty of people are hyped for a full 2-disc quite expanded Midgar. Hell, the part 1 probably wouldn't even be seen as a bad thing by many lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, Square, that's one way to keep people talking about your game, just make them so confused that they have to keep asking questions for clarification.

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix is falsely advertising the game as Final Fantasy VII Remake when, in fact, it is only a part of the full game. I find this pretty baffling to be honest.

I think it looks amazing, but doesn't make this comment any less true. Most people that buy this game aren't on Era, and some will probably have the impression this is a legit full game remake

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part 1 ends at Midgar, then we get an anime movie that covers Kalm to Rocket Town. Part 2 starts at Temple of the Ancients.
I would just...I don't-I
giphy.gif

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
In case people haven't realized it yet, this isn't an "updated" image exclusive to Famitsu. This is a literal screengrab from the conference stream. It means fuck-all.

Personally I think this is a case of Famitsu getting mixed signals.

Ya, considering S-E's official store still says 2 discs:

store.na.square-enix-games.com

FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE - 1ST CLASS EDITION [PS4]

Please note, this is a soft bundle. The FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Deluxe Edition contents are bundled separately from the Play Arts Kai Cloud Strife & Hardy Daytona.The world has fallen under the control of the Shinra Electric Power Company, a shadowy corporation controlling the planet’s very...

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

Mass Effect 2 was this way, too. I wonder what the data reasoning is, huh.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm confused now, how far into the game is this remake supposed to go?

By the original, probably 10-15% into the game, if that. They're expanding Midgar so we don't know for sure. But unless they're cutting half of the rest of the game out i don't see how they take less than 5 or 6 years to develop the rest. And it will be a much longer game than the first part.

I honestly think that if they wanted to make 2 parts, they should cut it after Junon. They could have one continent be the first part and everything else the second part. They could end part 1 on the ship crossing the ocean and everything.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there's a slot for an extra disc in the deluxe edition (for the to-be-released second part) and the person doing up the ad was working off of a mistranslation or something.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Didn't they say during the presentation that this release is only part of the complete FFVII experience? I felt they were pretty clear on this only being the beginning of the game. However, I have also followed this more closely than many casual gamers would and also have my experience playing the original game on PSX so I know they have plenty to tackle before the complete game is remade.

Can you imagine how huge a FFVI remake would have to be? We'd be waiting 15 years for that if they went all out.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm who is wrong famitsu or the promotional images
Famitsu. They grabbed an image from the stream rather than the one that actually had the correct info (bad on SE for using that image in the first place), however everything since then points towards FFVIIR's March release having two discs.

Of course, as pointed out throughout the thread, the Japanese version may be one disc.

Has anyone stopped to consider that the 2nd disc is just a data disc ala RDR2?
Yes, pretty much everyone in here.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous. The gams markets itself. All you have to do is explain the scope of the project, what's there for each entry, and how you've expanded upon the initial game. And they've bungled every aspect of this, giving incomplete or contradictory information. Even the name is confusing.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I actually like the episodic releases. If you get everything on physical, you'll have to swap out discs to play it like in the original

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the reminder!

So the split between episodes is going to be completely different. IF they flesh out the entire world at the same scale they are doing with midgar they absolutely have enough content for 3 games
At the rate they are doing (Midgar is the first game) they're aiming for roughly 8 games to complete it.... (Midgar was less than 1/3rd the first disc and was essentially a giant tutorial)

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks amazing, but doesn't make this comment any less true. Most people that buy this game aren't on Era, and some will probably have the impression this is a legit full game remake
Yeah.
And like I said, I think plenty of people are hyped for an expanded Midgar to where the part 1 probably wouldn't even be seen as a bad thing and new people can be told on the product page it's still a 20-30+ hour RPG.

Has anyone stopped to consider that the 2nd disc is just a data disc ala RDR2?
Yup.

Last edited:

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This isn't a drive by or shit post but honestly, really what does it matter ? I honestly dont see the point of even talking about the amount of dics it ships on. Am I missing something?

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Calling it Final Fantasy 7 Remake instead of Episode 1 or whatever is kinda dumb. Title implies it's the entire game instead of just Midgard.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I just played restarted FFVII and I was shocked that Midgar only took about 3 hours. I still love it and am honestly thrilled they are expanding it for this version. Hopefully they nail the atmosphere.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Calling it Final Fantasy 7 Remake instead of Episode 1 or whatever is kinda dumb. Title implies it's the entire game instead of just Midgard.

Agreed. Also - if the wait we have had to endure for the first episode is any indication, this game is going to span across generations and take 5+ years to finish completely. I also think we will be paying somewhere around 180 dollars for the entire package total (I think there will be 3 episodes).

By the time we get to episode 2 or 3, will episode 1 look worse in comparison? With ps5/new xbox coming out, wouldnt the newer titles want to take advantage of that hardware? So we run into this awkward situation where we are playing the "same game" but episode 2 and 3 look and perform vastly different from episode 1.

There is a lot of questions to be answered, but I am very hype for what they showed. I believe they are going to do this thing right no matter what. You can tell they have poured their heart and soul into this project to make the true ultimate edition of one of the best games of all time. I wish more devs would take the same care for some of their remakes.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe its just an installation disc to install a bunch of content on 1 disc and then you use the other to play?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

Soya

Oct 28, 2017
On the box it states "NOT FINAL ART", so I guess they themselves don't know how to denote the parts. I wouldn't worry about the boxart yet.

CassioAug

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Uhhhghh... this is kinda killing the hype. Why Square doesn't come to public and make this clear? I first thought it would be the entire game in 2 discs, in the same release date. Then, I saw it was 2 discs for the 1st part, and I thought it would be 2 parts. Then, I discovered they haven't confirmed how many parts it will have. And now we don't even know anymore if that's gonna be, in fact, 2 discs for the 1st part. And up until this point Square is completely silent about a thing that should not be reason of any doubts.

Yeah... that sounds pretty clear to me... they were talking about inculding japanese voices in the english version of the game, and he says it will not be an issue cause this will be in 2 blu-ray discs. I guess it settles it... it's misscomunication from Famitsu.

Last edited:

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhghh... this is kinda killing the hype. Why Square doesn't come to public and make this clear? I first thought it would be the entire game in 2 discs, in the same release date. Then, I saw it was 2 discs for the 1st part, and I thought it would be 2 parts. Then, I discovered they haven't confirmed how many parts it will have. And now we don't even know anymore if that's gonna be, in fact, 2 discs for the 1st part. And up until this point Square is completely silent about a thing that should not be reason of any doubts.

Yeah... that sounds pretty clear to me... they were talking about inculding japanese voices in the english version of the game, and he says it will not be an issue cause this will be in 2 blu-ray discs. I guess it settles it... it's misscomunication from Famitsu.
he also confirms its only midgar in the interview i dont have the time stamp

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Japanese official site added "2 Discs" in their product page.

I was thinking maybe Japan won't get a second disc, but instead an oversized mandatory download (in an effort to save money printing another disc for that specific region) but this tweet kind of cements that Famitsu made an error. The IGN and I THINK Gamespot interviews confirmed 2 physical discs