• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix is falsely advertising the game as Final Fantasy VII Remake when, in fact, it is only a part of the full game. I find this pretty baffling to be honest.

What? It's been known for a while now that it was going to be episodic. The only thing that really makes it confusing is that the packaging doesn't have a subtitle like: Midgar or Part 1.

edit: Unless that's what you meant?

A two disc part 1 that is ONLY Midgar would be kind of dumb

Why, if it's actually supposed to be an expanded version of the original, where key areas have been opened up further? It's not supposed to be a 1:1 remake.

Last edited:

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Square Enix is falsely advertising the game as Final Fantasy VII Remake when, in fact, it is only a part of the full game. I find this pretty baffling to be honest.

FF7 fans and hardcore gamers know this is episodic. I would even say even the casuals who know of e3 know it's episodic because it was always announced as such.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What? It's been known for a while now that it was going to be episodic. The only thing that really makes it confusing is that the packaging doesn't have a subtitle like: Midgard or Part 1.
That's what they're saying.

They can have all the PR about episodes or parts all they want, but if they sell a game on store shelves as "FFVII Remake" and it's just a small part of the full story, that's going to cause confusion.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Is it sad that I honestly doubt the whole game will be out this decade?
Isn't that what we're all expecting? I know I'm not expecting post-Midgar through City of the Ancients until 2023-25 at the earliest.
And the rest of the game sometime around the PS6 release. (And that's if they don't cheat and make part of it "just a movie".)
Hell, I'm surprised we're getting Midgar as soon as we are.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who never played the original game, how much of it can we expect in part one?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I know we're all annoyed that it's blatantly called Final Fantasy VII Remake and not something that indicates it isn't the full remake itself, but technically is it still false advertising when the description on store pages make it known that this is the first part in a multi-game saga?

The first entry in a multi-part saga, delivering a level of depth inconceivable for the original. Mind-blowing story, unforgettable characters, epic battles and technical excellence collide.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

600px-Winnie-the-Pooh-Reading.jpg

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who never played the original game, how much of it can we expect in part one?

If it was a 1-1 remake about 8ish hours. But they made it clear that they fleshed put alot more of the city. In the og game you only visited 2 (maybe 3) of the 8 sectors of the city. And there was limited time spent with certain characters that could very much be expanded for the betterment of the overall narrative

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
This makes no sense.

How do you quantify the amount of content by saying its the volume of 2 blu rays .... but then say its only 1 disc. All while the game is advertised everywhere as 2 discs

"I am giving you 2 buckets full of water"

"You just gave me one"

"In that single bucket are 2 buckets worth of water"

"??????"

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This makes no sense.

How do you quantify the amount of content by saying its the volume of 2 blu rays .... but then say its only 1 disc. All while the game is advertised everywhere as 2 discs
I'm guessing right now that this "volume of 2 blurays" statement was as equally badly translated to Square Enix's western marketing as it was to us, and they mistakenly put that on the image for the Deluxe and 1st Class Editions.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
FF7 fans and hardcore gamers know this is episodic. I would even say even the casuals who know of e3 know it's episodic because it was always announced as such.

Doesn't matter. If the box that lands on shelves doesn't mention it, then you can bet many more casual people will feel cheated and ripped off. It hasn't been mentioned in any way shape or form during this entire E3 reveal. It's not mentioned on the box. It's not mentioned on any of the promo posters. It's not mentioned anywhere.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
This makes no sense.

"I am giving you 2 buckets full of water"

"You just gave me one"

"In that single bucket are 2 buckets worth of water"

"??????"

Either 1: It's just a dual layer bluray and they were exaggerating a bit.
Or 2: A big ass day 1 patch.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate the "volume of 2 Blu-Rays", like that doesn't mean shit, it's based on data, not in-game content. Take Smash Ultimate for example which is like 16GB but has a shit ton of content and music.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I know we're all annoyed that it's blatantly called Final Fantasy VII Remake and not something that indicates it isn't the full remake itself, but technically is it still false advertising when the description on store pages make it known that this is the first part in a multi-game saga?

Companies were fined for much less than that.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
That's what they're saying.

They can have all the PR about episodes or parts all they want, but if they sell a game on store shelves as "FFVII Remake" and it's just a small part of the full story, that's going to cause confusion.
Yup, I was seriously expecting a subtitle to indicate that to be revealed.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still struggling to see how this is going work, honestly. Are you going to play this game up through the end of Midgar and then it'll go "Next time on FF7 Remake..." only for you, the player, to wait 3 years if not more to play the next chapters? That's going to destroy whatever pacing the original story had for one, but it just sounds awful conceptually.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
cactuar-gif-9.gif

I'm not sure Jessie being on the bike is during the escape from Midgar sequence. That is a rather big change and I've always been partial to Jessie. Hopefully you're right.

You bet they're going to make the motorcycle more prominent in the game. More motorcycle sequences and probably some kind of underground motorcycle tournament you can join as a side quest/mini game. It's not the 90s anymore where JRPGs stuff a few one offs mini games that you play only once or twice.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I guess they said that it was 2 BDs worth of content because it is, the deluxe box in the promo material us clearly drawn to represent a thicker box for 2 discs, while the standard is a common box while also doesn't mention having two discs and probably requiring a massive download at start.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still struggling to see how this is going work, honestly. Are you going to play this game up through the end of Midgar and then it'll go "Next time on FF7 Remake..." only for you, the player, to wait 3 years if not more to play the next chapters? That's going to destroy whatever pacing the original story had for one, but it just sounds awful conceptually.
It sounds like the way every Hollywood franchise "part 1" movie has ended since 2000. Not that I disagree with you.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Ummm marketing material clearly states it's two discs?
Is Famitsu aware of this and they know it's wrong or the update is only based on Kitase's statement about volume of contents?

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused about the whole thing. Are we getting the ENTIRE remake in March, or just "Part 1" with the rest later?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
WHY even mention 2 blu-ray disks if it's delivered on one. I mean, it really doesn't matter that much but it's such a pointless assertion to make.

Deleted member 36749

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta
With Spring being so heavy im just gonna wait until the whole fame is out.

I bought this day one as a kid(came out on my bday back then) and didnt have to wait to experience the whole game

No preorder or purchase until the complete games out.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Wait a minute.... so which one is the correct one?
No.1 The game will come in 2 BR discs. And this is part 1 (Midgar only)

No.2 The game will come in 1 BR disc (Part 1). And another 1 BR disc for additional content like the making of movie etc.

No.3 The game will come in 1 Dual BR disc. That,s why they said "volume of 2 BR discs".

No.4 Just release the d#mn game already square!!!

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WHY even mention 2 blu-ray disks if it's delivered on one. I mean, it really doesn't matter that much but it's such a pointless assertion to make.
3 CDs was a big selling point for the original game. I could see these oldschool developers wanting to impress that this version contains a lot of data too, but not really taking care to note that discs have become a kind of irrelevant value when we have come to expect massive patches anyway.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
People wants to be confused at this point lol it was pretty clear in the conference.

Part 1 will be 2 BDs and will be Midgar only, while it's confirmed about being multiple parts but not exactly how many.

This Famitsu statement must be a mistranslation, you can clearly see the package with the 2 BDs. Unless they suddenly decided to change it and inform Famitsu, which is unlikely.

Edit: 2 BDs was shown in the conf but i guess it was not 100% explicit that it was only on CE or all the versions. So yeah, there is a confusion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sinonobu

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
People wants to be confused at this point lol it was pretty clear in the conference.

Part 1 will be 2 BDs and will be Midgar only, while it's confirmed about being multiple parts but not exactly how many.

This Famitsu statement must be a mistranslation, you can clearly see the package with the 2 BDs. Unless they suddenly decided to change it and inform Famitsu, which is unlikely.
16b460f3149754cf.png

I threadmarked the post as well but famitsu posted the updated version of the image that removed the mention of 2 discs.