• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
PoR is a painfully slow game and tbh rather ugly for the time. Tbh, it's actually one of the reason I would love a remake of that game over the GBA games is that, could be easily fixed in remake.
I don't know if this is a hot take or a very unpopular opinion but I'm not too fond of Senri Kita's art. I do love some of them like Micaiahs though

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is a hot take or a very unpopular opinion but I'm not too fond of Senri Kita's art. I do love some of them like Micaiahs though

I'll be honest, I like Kita's newer art more then her older art (its just more dynamic in general but that's what happen when you don't have to shit out 100 characters), but when I"m knocking PoR for being an ugly game, I"m talking about the map and battle graphics.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kita art might not be as pretty as Kozaki's or Hidari's but I think her character design is by far the best in any Fire Emblem game.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Hope to see a remaster of Genealogy of the Holy War. Three Houses definitely felt like a love letter to that game and it coincides with that game's 25th anniversary next year

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Kita art might not be as pretty as Kozaki's or Hidari's but I think her character design is by far the best in any Fire Emblem game.

I put Kita up with those two but they all have their own flaws. I"m pretty sure Wada was the character designer for PoR and RD, and Kita just drew the characters(which is why I don't blame Kita for the main reason I"m not the biggest fan of PoR/RD art --- the gigantic saucer eyes for younger characters).

I'm guessing her newer art is FEH related?

That and Cipher.

I think her cipher rendition of ranger ike is a billion times better then the original.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I agree with that. Conquest has the best gameplay in the series and that is what matters the most to me. I don't play FE for the story.
Fates: Conquest should be #1 just for the gameplay. But I'm someone who doesn't care about the story or character in FE.

i wonder if they're going to remake or are in the process of remaking Geneaology for Switch.
It's been five years and I barely remember the differences between the three versions of fates. What made Conquest special? It was my first route, so I don't remember much outside of the usual mechanics.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's been five years and I barely remember the differences between the three versions of fates. What made Conquest special? It was my first route, so I don't remember much outside of the usual mechanics.
It had a lot of maps with varied objectives that was not simply "kill everyone", such as surviving an onslaught of enemies for 11 turns using choke-points that disappears halfway through, forcing you to restrategize on the fly, having a map where you must escape while being chased by op enemies, or another where you need to seize control of different places. This coupled with really good map design that was tough (The ninja map where you need to open/close routes to not get murdered at enemies and caltrops still haunt my dreams), it made for a pretty good gameplay combo for those looking for a unique challenge.

Just a shame the story was really dumb.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
It had a lot of maps with varied objectives that was not simply "kill everyone", such as surviving an onslaught of enemies for 11 turns using choke-points that disappears halfway through, forcing you to restrategize on the fly, having a map where you must escape while being chased by op enemies, or another where you need to seize control of different places. This coupled with really good map design that was tough (The ninja map where you need to open/close routes to not get murdered at enemies and caltrops still haunt my dreams), it made for a pretty good gameplay combo for those looking for a unique challenge.

Just a shame the story was really dumb.

You're right that ninja scene was mad annoying. Funnily enough, the dumb story clouded my memory of Fates, because that's all I can remember honestly.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Decent list, but I'm still somewhat surprised that the Tellius games never really took root in Japan, especially given that it had 2 games to run off. SS also had one of the more concise stories/themes but sadly it more or less got ignored most of the time.

I would expect Mystery to outperform FE4 but apparently there's a soft spot for it? Still surprised through - I see many posters claiming that its the best game but it always felt like its flaws/themes are similar to other FE games, but the former always gets ignored. It's the one game i've never seen people properly critique - feels like the impression of it would fall off once the same level of scrutiny was placed onto it like the newer games.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Decent list, but I'm still somewhat surprised that the Tellius games never really took root in Japan, especially given that it had 2 games to run off. SS also had one of the more concise stories/themes but sadly it more or less got ignored most of the time.

I would expect Mystery to outperform FE4 but apparently there's a soft spot for it? Still surprised through - I see many posters claiming that its the best game but it always felt like its flaws/themes are similar to other FE games, but the former always gets ignored. It's the one game i've never seen people properly critique - feels like the impression of it would fall off once the same level of scrutiny was placed onto it like the newer games.
FE4 is nearly 25 years old. There are, of course, a number of things that newer games in the series do better. But what FE4 did well for its time, and particularly with the story it tells, it's easily one of the most memorable and influential games in the entire franchise.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Seems like a really strong list. I will never enjoy FE4 as much as the general consensus though, those big open maps are a spectacle but also a chore to shuffle your units through from keep to keep. It is something I think a remake could easily tidy up by subdividing the chapters up and bolstering out the story beats while making the chapter progression a little leaner but longer.

Also, F for Tellius / Kita fans.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

PoR has pretty big flaws that it fans like to ignore (oddly enough one of those is same the issue Genealogy has and people will note that flaw in Genealogy), and RD is a direct sequel to that game.

Three Houses and Awakening are both heavily derived from Genealogy and those took 2 and 3 in this poll As for Genealogy, alot of people aren't fans of the game because it's pretty different in of regards (and I think its a problem that fire emblem has ... the series is too rote at times); but I don't think any game in the series feels like Genealogy in that the world is a world. Even three houses which has a lot of world building .... which was pretty much limited to Garreg Mach.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a really strong list. I will never enjoy FE4 as much as the general consensus though, those big open maps are a spectacle but ala chore to shuffle your units through from keep to keep. It is something I think a remake could easily tidy up by subdividing the chapters up and bolstering out the story beats while making the chapter progression a little leaner but longer.

Also, F for Tellius / Kita fans.

Genealogy is great because of those huge maps. It's like you're invading countries with a massive army instead of having these pithy little skirmishes.

The abundance of reinforcements is a crime, though.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Genealogy is great because of those huge maps. It's like you're invading countries with a massive army instead of having these pithy little skirmishes.

The abundance of reinforcements is a crime, though.

This seems to be the consensus, yea, and they ARE cool to look at. But shuffling all my units forward, ending turn, shuffling them again, ending turn, capturing a keep to finally get the next wave proc'd and then adjust course and shuffle them forward again....I think it could be cleaner and more interesting with smaller more deliberate and bespoke maps for each "substory" within a chapter.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Not surprised, what is surprising is FE3 not being in the top 3. Sad that Tellius isn't popular in Japan. I like FE4 but it's definitely not my favourite since the gameplay is so dated. A remake would push it way up my favourites list. Hoping it's what they're working on next!

Since some people are doing lists, mine would be:
1. Radiant Dawn
2. Three Houses
3. Path of Radiance
4. Blazing Sword
5. Genealogy of the Holy War

Last edited:

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
FE4 is nearly 25 years old. There are, of course, a number of things that newer games in the series do better. But what FE4 did well for its time, and particularly with the story it tells, it's easily one of the most memorable and influential games in the entire franchise.
Oh, I try to look at the games from things that tend to be timeless (story, characters, gameplay) rather than things that can be improved with time. Stuff like FF6/7 are dated games but they more or less stand the test of time - however I still believe that FE4's story doesn't really differentiate itself radically compared to other games
apart from the mass betrayal, and i still fail to see how a dark story is necessarily better than an optimistic one, even through seliph saves the continent in the end.

I also have other issues with its themes and Kaga worship, but that's a story for another day.

PoR has pretty big flaws that it fans like to ignore (oddly enough one of those is same the issue Genealogy has and people will note that flaw in Genealogy), and RD is a direct sequel to that game.

Three Houses and Awakening are both heavily derived from Genealogy and those took 2 and 3 in those spots.. As for Genealogy, alot of people aren't fans of the game because it's pretty different in of regards (and I think its a problem that fire emblem has ... the series is too rote at times); but I don't think any game in the series feels like Genealogy.
I do agree that fans tend to have blind spots when it comes to their favourite games, and that FE games tend to have a lot of issues when executing their stories/themes. I don't really agree that something different is necessarily better?
FE4 embraces a lot of political style twists and themes but it doesn't feel much different from RD or SS in how the plot develops. There's also a huge problem with the way the game deals with corruption/classism, especially when it tries to make it a big part of its story.

In regards to your FE13/3H comparison with FE4, i would say that they take inspiration but end up doing their own things in the end? The stories/themes play out rather differently compared to FE4.

Mind you, I don't think Genealogy is a bad game, it has good points (good revenge story, good characterization via the countries) and people are entitled to their favourites - i just have to do a double-take when people say its objectively the best FE game.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be the consensus, yea, and they ARE cool to look at. But shuffling all my units forward, ending turn, shuffling them again, ending turn, capturing a keep to finally get the next wave proc'd and then adjust course and shuffle them forward again....I think it could be cleaner and more interesting with smaller more deliberate and bespoke maps for each "substory" within a chapter.

We'll see what route they go with a hypothetical remake, but the pace would automatically be improved substantially just with modernizations like skippable animations & phases.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
2, 3, 4 are right where they need to be. Haven't played Genealogy, so Three Houses, Awakening, and Blazing Blade would be 1, 2, 3 for me respectively. I hope Genealogy is the next remake so I can play it.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I can make a list easy since I've only finished 5 FE games exactly!
  1. Three Houses
  2. Awakening
  3. Blazing Blade
  4. Fates
  5. Sacred Stones

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I find it funny that it apparently took IS until the FEH polls to realize Lyn was popular in Japan. I remember promo stuff that featured all the lords would just have Roy as the Elibe rep, and now we get the FE7 lords too.
I remember back in the day I always heard people say Japan hated Lyn since she was a tutorial part of a game series Japan always had.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I try to look at the games from things that tend to be timeless (story, characters, gameplay) rather than things that can be improved with time. Stuff like FF6/7 are dated games but they more or less stand the test of time - however I still believe that FE4's story doesn't really differentiate itself radically compared to other games
apart from the mass betrayal, and i still fail to see how a dark story is necessarily better than an optimistic one, even through seliph saves the continent in the end.

I also have other issues with its themes and Kaga worship, but that's a story for another day.
The game takes some pretty shocking turns, even compared to other FE games.

The mass betrayal at the end of Part I is notable for many things. The actual death of the lead character, the victory of the bad guys, a bridge into the second generation...all of that was novel for the series in its day, and much of that remains so. The games themes, and actions taken particularly by characters like Manfroy, are also notably dark, but more than that they carry an emotional weight because of how personal the stakes are for the characters. Being a dark story doesn't automatically make it "better" than an optimistic one, but dark stories can be gripping for their own reasons, even those reasons that make us uncomfortable.

What happens to Deirdre in particular is an absolute travesty. It's absolutely gut-wrenching. But it's not without purpose. The purpose itself is cruel, which just reflects back on Manfroy even more. The man is an utter creep, and who is also terrifyingly effective at getting what he wants, even though he ultimately loses in the end.

Whether you personally consider the game to have a better story than other FE's is of course up to personal opinion and taste, but for many, it's not just "Because FE4 is dark".

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

I do agree that fans tend to have blind spots when it comes to their favourite games, and that FE games tend to have a lot of issues when executing their stories/themes. I don't really agree that something different is necessarily better?
FE4 embraces a lot of political style twists and themes but it doesn't feel much different from RD or SS in how the plot develops. There's also a huge problem with the way the game deals with corruption/classism, especially when it tries to make it a big part of its story.

In regards to your FE13/3H comparison with FE4, i would say that they take inspiration but end up doing their own things in the end? The stories/themes play out rather differently compared to FE4.

Mind you, I don't think Genealogy is a bad game, it has good points (good revenge story, good characterization via the countries) and people are entitled to their favourites - i just have to do a double-take when people say its objectively the best FE game.

I think RD's a pretty unique beast in itself (which imho is a good thing but it did some things that hamstrung itself). The thing I actually find kinda funny in your post is that it you liking it has a good revenge story, where I think most fans of the game prefer the first generation, and the second generation is actually very much more standard fire emblem fare (and where a theoretical remake could very much improve the game).

But yeah, the scale of Genealogy is a love it or hate it thing and to be blunt I'm in the love it part.

Sol

Oct 25, 2017
Tellius not being in the top 5 isn't surprising, considering that PoR had massive distribution issues and RD was released as a buggy, somewhat unfinished mess over there. A rerelease of both of them (with the overseas version of RD that fixed a few things) would likely do well in making it more popular.

Three Houses still feels too much like recency bias, but then again the Azure Moon route is super popular in JP.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Tellius not being in the top 5 isn't surprising, considering that PoR had massive distribution issues and RD was released as a buggy, somewhat unfinished mess over there. A rerelease of both of them (with the overseas version of RD that fixed a few things) would likely do well in making it more popular.

Three Houses still feels too much like recency bias, but then again the Azure Moon route is super popular in JP.

I don't think a rerelease would do that well.

Make the gameplay engine snappier with qol improvements, and make the maps/characters models look a ton better(kitas art is fine but the game looked liked ass even back then), and yeah I'm on board

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good indeed, however replace awakening with Path of Radiance and switch #4 (FE7) with #1 (FE4) and its perfection and good.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
The game takes some pretty shocking turns, even compared to other FE games.

The mass betrayal at the end of Part I is notable for many things. The actual death of the lead character, the victory of the bad guys, a bridge into the second generation...all of that was novel for the series in its day, and much of that remains so. The games themes, and actions taken particularly by characters like Manfroy, are also notably dark, but more than that they carry an emotional weight because of how personal the stakes are for the characters. Being a dark story doesn't automatically make it "better" than an optimistic one, but dark stories can be gripping for their own reasons, even those reasons that make us uncomfortable.

What happens to Deirdre in particular is an absolute travesty. It's absolutely gut-wrenching. But it's not without purpose. The purpose itself is cruel, which just reflects back on Manfroy even more. The man is an utter creep, and who is also terrifyingly effective at getting what he wants, even though he ultimately loses in the end.

Whether you personally consider the game to have a better story than other FE's is of course up to personal opinion and taste, but for many, it's not just "Because FE4 is dark".
Yea but my point was more towards how FE4's story doesn't deviate that much outside of similar FE stories (there is a setup before things get better), and how ultimately the thing that differentiates it is that event. In which....i know many fans who hold that up to be the crowning moment of FE4, which is baffling to say the least. If you need to kill off your characters without proper characterization (due to there being a limit to the number of chapters) in order to gripe the audience, then maybe there's an issue there?

I think a better analogy would be more akin to GOT's red wedding - it was shocking and brutal, but its not the crux of why the story is good. It's also the reason why i feel FE4 is more than just the gen 1 - gen 2 (which is often written off as "too fantasy") was important to make the story whole.

I think RD's a pretty unique beast in itself (which imho is a good thing but it did some things that hamstrung itself). The thing I actually find kinda funny in your post is that it you liking it has a good revenge story, where I think most fans of the game prefer the first generation, and the second generation is actually very much more standard fire emblem fare (and where a theoretical remake could very much improve the game).
Yea strangely enough I don't think that formula is necessarily a bad one, just because it's common/tropey doesn't make it a bad thing, neither does being different make it more interesting? I know that most fans enjoy the first gen more, but
the fact that they don't get much characterization thanks to the limited chapters before being killed off makes it obvious that they're written as motivation for the next gen to step up. It doesn't make sense to have a story that ends at the end of part 1 otherwise - the setup is the driving point of FE4.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a rerelease would do that well.

Make the gameplay engine snappier with qol improvements, and make the maps/characters models look a ton better(kitas art is fine but the game looked liked ass even back then), and yeah I'm on board
Honestly, I think that the best shot that the Tellius games have are just full remakes instead of touched-up remasters. Radiant Dawn, especially. (Also, I will never stop laughing at how a few people said that Path of Radiance is graphically a better looking game than Three Houses prior to release.)

Yea but my point was more towards how FE4's story doesn't deviate that much outside of similar FE stories (there is a setup before things get better), and how ultimately the thing that differentiates it is that event. In which....i know many fans who hold that up to be the crowning moment of FE4, which is baffling to say the least. If you need to kill off your characters without proper characterization (due to there being a limit to the number of chapters) in order to gripe the audience, then maybe there's an issue there?

I think a better analogy would be more akin to GOT's red wedding - it was shocking and brutal, but its not the crux of why the story is good. It's also the reason why i feel FE4 is more than just the gen 1 - gen 2 (which is often written off as "too fantasy") was important to make the story whole.

Yea strangely enough I don't think that formula is necessarily a bad one, just because it's common/tropey doesn't make it a bad thing, neither does being different make it more interesting? I know that most fans enjoy the first gen more, but
the fact that they don't get much characterization thanks to the limited chapters before being killed off makes it obvious that they're written as motivation for the next gen to step up. It doesn't make sense to have a story that ends at the end of part 1 otherwise - the setup is the driving point of FE4.
That's all the more reason for a remake, though. Adjust the pacing of the chapters, fill in the world, characters, and story with more detail. The gap between Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia in terms of their plotting is an ocean of difference. The characters all have more depth, more history, and more personality than they ever had in the original Famicom game. For a Genealogy remake, they could take the exact same approach in adding depth to the characters and world, while remaining true to the original game's narrative and spirit.

And really, the faults you have with the story of FE4 feel more like generally common limitations of storytelling in games in that era. Narrative presentation in Fire Emblem has grown by leaps and bounds since 1994.

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard so much about Genealogy that I'd kill to play a translated version of the original.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have any interest in translating it and giving it an official release though.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard so much about Genealogy that I'd kill to play a translated version of the original.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have any interest in translating it and giving it an official release though.
Nintendo's Treehouse posted an article (on Tumblr of all things) detailing their work on Fire Emblem Heroes a long while back. They apparently have fully translated scripts for all of the games. They use these scripts as reference material while doing localization for Heroes characters.

So a localization of FE4 exists on literal paper. Actually pushing that into the ROM and selling it on the eShop is a whole other story.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's Treehouse posted an article (on Tumblr of all things) detailing their work on Fire Emblem Heroes a long while back. They apparently have fully translated scripts for all of the games. They use these scripts as reference material while doing localization for Heroes characters.

So a localization of FE4 exists on literal paper. Actually pushing that into the ROM and selling it on the eShop is a whole other story.
That just makes me want it more.

Any chance you got a link to the article?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That just makes me want it more.

Any chance you got a link to the article?
Here it is.

nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com

Happy Anniversary, Summoners!

The Fire Emblem Heroes game was released one year ago today, and to celebrate the anniversary, some of the Fire Emblem Heroes team members in the Treehouse got together to reflect on the first year since the game launched. Read on to see what they had to say! Kris: It’s amazing how much Fire...

I misremembered some of the article, but the gist is basically the same. They also highlighted specifically how they translated some of the dialogue for Sigurd and Deirdre for Heroes, while remaining faithful to the tone of the dialogue referenced in FE4.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Honestly, I think that the best shot that the Tellius games have are just full remakes instead of touched-up remasters. Radiant Dawn, especially. (Also, I will never stop laughing at how a few people said that Path of Radiance is graphically a better looking game than Three Houses prior to release.)

That's all the more reason for a remake, though. Adjust the pacing of the chapters, fill in the world, characters, and story with more detail. The gap between Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia in terms of their plotting is an ocean of difference. The characters all have more depth, more history, and more personality than they ever had in the original Famicom game. For a Genealogy remake, they could take the exact same approach in adding depth to the characters and world, while remaining true to the original game's narrative and spirit.

And really, the faults you have with the story of FE4 feel more like generally common limitations of storytelling in games in that era. Narrative presentation in Fire Emblem has grown by leaps and bounds since 1994.
I mean, some of the issues are just fundamentally there.

Child hunts, goddam actual incest (not the awkward kind you can skim through like tellius/fates), "classism is alright in the end despite it being the root of much of Judgral's problems",
I don't disagree that a remake would make characterization better (although you're just limited to half of the story to develop your characters - its just how the story works) - there's just a lot to unpack there.
i think at the end of the day, I'm not arguing that its a bad game (its quite enjoyable) - i just want to point out that it's not as gamechanging as how people like to make it out to be.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, some of the issues are just fundamentally there.

Child hunts, goddam actual incest (not the awkward kind you can skim through like tellius/fates), "classism is alright in the end despite it being the root of much of Judgral's problems",
I don't disagree that a remake would make characterization better (although you're just limited to half of the story to develop your characters - its just how the story works) - there's just a lot to unpack there.
i think at the end of the day, I'm not arguing that its a bad game (its quite enjoyable) - i just want to point out that it's not as gamechanging as how people like to make it out to be.
Yes, those are the darkest themes in the game, and arguably the darkest that the series has ever gotten. That doesn't mean that they should be considered off-limits, however, as long as the story is written well around them.

Like, straight up, I have never heard anyone say "Fuck yeah, this game's got incest and child murder! It's awesome!

What you consider issues, I just see as events and details of this world. And no, they're not happy. But FE4 was written as a dark fantasy where bad things happened, and continue to happen, and to some very good, undeserving people. That's just the nature of the story, and while some people may prefer the game because it gets dark, the game never feels dark for the sake of being dark.