• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't look like this game is getting an impressions thread so I'll just here. I played about 3 hours yesterday and I have to say I have enjoyed Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana more so far. I don't feel the adventure if that makes any sense. I hope that will change as the story moves along, but I was never sold on the idea of the game being in one giant city in the first place so maybe I'm just biased to begin with.

Gameplay wise, Adol's movement seems slightly slower but that's not a big deal for me. The big open areas in the city have some slowdowns which can be annoying (hope this gets patched). I do like the vertical aspect that the new abilities bring to the dungeons, makes searching the dungeons for hidden areas more interesting (be sure to turn off display treasure boxes from the map in the settings or you'll just see all the treasures on the map lol) They brought back the tower defense aspect of the previous game which I was pretty meh about and still am.

Overall, I think I need a couple more hours to judge the story and this whole one location map.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Doesn't look like this game is getting an impressions thread so I'll just here. I played about 3 hours yesterday and I have to say I have enjoyed Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana more so far. I don't feel the adventure if that makes any sense. I hope that will change as the story moves along, but I was never sold on the idea of the game being in one giant city in the first place so maybe I'm just biased to begin with.

Gameplay wise, Adol's movement seems slightly slower but that's not a big deal for me. The big open areas in the city have some slowdowns which can be annoying (hope this gets patched). I do like the vertical aspect that the new abilities bring to the dungeons, makes searching the dungeons for hidden areas more interesting (be sure to turn off display treasure boxes from the map in the settings or you'll just see all the treasures on the map lol) They brought back the tower defense aspect of the previous game which I was pretty meh about and still am.

Overall, I think I need a couple more hours to judge the story and this whole one location map.
Thanks for the impressions!

I'm tempted to grab it. Almost pulled the trigger on amazon.co.jp but I think I rather just get it digital for now and get the localization physical edition.

Slowdowns and such is a bit worrying. Not sure what to think about the whole in the city. Guess I'll wait for more impressions / news on a patch.

I was ok with the tower defense part, but really loved the reverse one were you would attack a base. Hopefully those are back too then.

Make sure to re-update us. Can't wait to hear more. Guess I'll focus on replaying DQXI on switch for now.

p_xavier

Jan 8, 2018
The OST seems to be amazing, the partial OST is available on Falcom's YouTube channel and so far it beats Ys VIII in every way.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Thanks for the impressions!

I'm tempted to grab it. Almost pulled the trigger on amazon.co.jp but I think I rather just get it digital for now and get the localization physical edition.

Slowdowns and such is a bit worrying. Not sure what to think about the whole in the city. Guess I'll wait for more impressions / news on a patch.

I was ok with the tower defense part, but really loved the reverse one were you would attack a base. Hopefully those are back too then.

Make sure to re-update us. Can't wait to hear more. Guess I'll focus on replaying DQXI on switch for now.
Yeah its 116 cad for me to buy digitally through psn if i buy the jp yen card and i dont know if its worth it

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
K the fps in town is extremely choppy. What happened there? Same Falcom graphics but absolutely none of the fluidity

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
This issue is why I manage to keep myself to import right away. Brightside! But yeah hopefully this is patched to be smoother.
Also, there is less voice acting than I am used to with Falcom which is not a plus either. And the loading times are long too (base non SSD PS4). Combat and music are great still if that helps :)

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I was trying to find the Opening movie on Youtube for the last couple days.

What the hell, this is so unlike Falcom.
Yep I was surprised too. There is just a Falcom logo and it transitions to the main menu. Also, the fps in town is horrible. Like I mean sub 20 fps bad and lower when facing multiple enemies. In dungeons its fine as always. In towns it honestly feels like Drakengard 3...

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Ys VIII only took a year.

Yeah, but cold steel 4 will most likely get a translation first, Ys IX just came out in Japan.

So unless they translate both games at the same time or they decide to somehow give priority to Ys IX (knowing that CS4 came out in 2018 in japan) I doubt it'll take a year for Ys IX to come to the west.

Who knows though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But 2 years is usually the norm for Nisa games, all CS games took 2 years to come to the west. Realistically i'd expect CS4 next year, and Ys IX in 2021.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, but cold steel 4 will most likely get a translation first, Ys IX just came out in Japan.

So unless they translate both games at the same time or they decide to somehow give priority to Ys IX (knowing that CS4 came out in 2018 in japan) I doubt it'll take a year for Ys IX to come to the west.

Who knows though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But 2 years is usually the norm for Nisa games, all CS games took 2 years to come to the west. Realistically i'd expect CS4 next year, and Ys IX in 2021.
Maybe Falcom will make some expanded rerelease and patches for the things that make the game feel rushed until then, I mean thats what we got for YsVIII on all platforms but Vita.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's been playing Ys since the Ys I & II PC-Engine ports all those years ago, we're really spoiled with all the great Ys games we've gotten over the last several years. I would've sworn the series was dead 20 years ago.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Beat Chapter 4. The game definitely has a slow start, and performance needs to be patched a bit. Besides that, I'm really starting to enjoy it!

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
I feel like even if the game will be completely broken, to the point that it just will not launch, they will give it at least 25/40.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
The game is good for newcomers and veterans alike! 9

The controls can be hard to get to grips with. 8

I hope Adol keeps crashing boats, I want to see his adventures continue! 9

Ths game is fast. 9

*Dramatization may not have happened.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finally decided I wanted to order it on amazon japan but it's out of stock.

Bummer.

Edit: Ordered off yesasia. Hopefully I'm not hit with any brokerage fees. Will surely get it by mid/late October I'm guessing.

Came up to 100 CAD

Last edited:

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I'm currently in Chapter 2, it's definitely a slow start but I'm enjoying the game so I'm cool with that.
I recently unlocked a new way of traversing the town and it already feels much cooler now. Can't wait to obtain the other ways we could see in the different gameplay videos.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
This game is already out in Japan :O. I loved YS VIII, so I'm excited for IX even if it looks decidedly budget. The gameplay in this series is just consistently fast paced and fun.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, who cares what Famitsu gives anything? About as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
That said, looking forward to 9. 8 was a super fun game.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Will wait for their studio to step it up like tales did with their series.

Ys viii was sooo underwhelming

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, with how corrupt that magazine's scoring seems to be I'm not sure it's even worth paying attention to. I know it's the first review of these games we see but it's just so meaningless what Famitsu puts out. With that 32/40 for Contra it's not even certain that they'll at least point out truly bad games. So for all we know IX could be the worst Ys yet and they wouldn't point that out. Though I do have to wonder what they wrote about Contra to make it not look like complete trash, guessing their review texts are super short so they don't need to go into details or something?

I'm guessing people buy that magazine for its preview coverage?