• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Neptunia-PS5-Fami-Info_09-16-20.jpg

via: Gematsu
Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re★Verse, Compile Heart's August-announced Neptunia game for PlayStation 5, is a definitive edition of the first entry in the series based on the May 2018-released Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 Plus with additional arrangements, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.
For those of you who don't follow this series, that means that the new Neptunia game is a remake of Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 Plus which was a remake of Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 which is a remake of Hyperdimension Neptunia.

latest

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
That's very on-brand. lmao

Neptunia has a massive number of titles for a series that's only a decade old.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is a point where we needed to stop and we have clearly passed it

But let's keep going anyway and see what happens

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure I'll probably buy it. Can't get enough of Tsunako's art. Probably helps that Rebirth 1 on Vita was the only version I played.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Title is stretching it a bit.

Neptunia Re;Birth 1 is a remake of Neptunia 1 for PS Vita and PC.

Neptunia Re;Birth 1+ is an enhanced port of Re;Birth 1 for PS4, not a remake.

We currently don't know whether Neptunia ReVerse is an enhanced port of Re;Birth 1 versus a full remake. Images should come out in 30 mins or so though when the digital edition of Weekly Famitsu goes on sale.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Bahahaha, what? I actually own the original and the PC port of ReBirth, but I didn't bother with plus for various reasons. I may end up getting this at some point, though.
That's very on-brand. lmao
My take, as well.

We currently don't know whether Neptunia ReVerse is an enhanced port of Re;Birth 1 versus a full remake. Images should come out in 30 mins or so though when the digital edition of Weekly Famitsu goes on sale.
Well, if we want to say anything is stretching, technically all of the ports were really just enhanced ports/reworks. None of them was truly ever a "remake" in the vein of what most consider a remake to be. But I think the main point really is that it's a remake of a port of a port.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bahahaha, what? I actually own the original and the PC port of ReBirth, but I didn't bother with plus for various reasons. I may end up getting this at some point, though.

My take, as well.

Well, if we want to say anything is stretching, technically all of the ports were really just enhanced ports/reworks. None of them was truly ever a "remake" in the vein of what most consider a remake to be. But I think the main point really is that it's a remake of a port of a port.

Maybe I'm wrong on the remake bit then. I haven't played any Neptunia games, I just recall Re;Birth 1 being referred to as a remake.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Maybe I'm wrong on the remake bit then. I haven't played any Neptunia games, I just recall Re;Birth 1 being referred to as a remake.
To be fair, it was always called a remake, but that was before we were inundated with remakes. Quite a few things were changed (performance was actually better in most cases) but the game is largely the same. The Vita version might as well just be enhancement patches for the PS3 version and then downscaled to work on the Vita. It's easily the better version, though. I can't comment on Plus since I didn't feel the need/want to get it, but I can't imagine it being worse.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Surprised that they never introduced new characters based on later consoles

OP
OP
Iori Fuyusaka

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah... I know.

I'm not changing the title, though.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Hilarious and not at all out of character for Neptunia, with the franchise stalling thanks to all the bad spinoffs I'm not surprised they're trying to make another easy entry point again. Re;Birth 1 was probably the second best mainline title anyway so I'm kinda ok with that.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this series had like 20 entries already but it turns out most of them are all ports or updates of other games?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
As far as I'm aware there are only 4 mainline installments, the rest are entirely spinoffs.

Hyperdimension Neptunia / ReBirth 1 / ReBirth 1 Plus. ReBirth 1 being a revised released based on the mechanics of Victory / The 3rd game.
Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 / ReBirth 2
Hyperdimension Neptunia: Victory / ReBirth 3
Megadimension Neptunia: V-II / V-IIR

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
My guess would be probably a remake that is also a reboot with changes and additions

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I won't lie, I love V and U. Zombies is weird but different and not bad, but vs SEGA Hard Girls is actually a lot of fun once it gets going a bit.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, it was always called a remake, but that was before we were inundated with remakes. Quite a few things were changed (performance was actually better in most cases) but the game is largely the same. The Vita version might as well just be enhancement patches for the PS3 version and then downscaled to work on the Vita. It's easily the better version, though. I can't comment on Plus since I didn't feel the need/want to get it, but I can't imagine it being worse.
Was it? I thought they completely changed the battle system to be like mk.2 and later.

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
I got the platinum on all the games and spinoffs except the "Idolm@ster" one and the three remakes, since I have them on Gog. I don't know if I'll buy this version, though.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Was it? I thought they completely changed the battle system to be like mk.2 and later.
For rebirth they made the system work more like V than the original. The game is still definitely Neptunia, though, not V or mk2.

It's like, Wild Arms Alter Code F is a remake because they redid almost everything but kept the core story and made it adhere to the then-established equipment and game system form WA3, but if they did Wild Arms Rebirth instead and it was just WA1 with only slightly changed graphics and maybe some extras but still using the WA3 system they put into ACF.

It's in that weird space of it's not quite a remake but it's more than just a simple port. This one that got announced looks like it may truly be a remake, but based on the most enhanced port as a base. Or it could just be a gussied up port (yet again) and that's it.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Wait, this game is PS5 exclusive? Why?

Most likely because they can get it out early and take advantage of the software drought for the first year or so of the console lifespan. Good way to get a chunk of extra sales and maybe convert some people to new franchise fans. NISA saw similar success with Disgaea on the Switch, for instance.

Oct 25, 2017
Most likely because they can get it out early and take advantage of the software drought for the first year or so of the console lifespan. Good way to get a chunk of extra sales and maybe convert some people to new franchise fans. NISA saw similar success with Disgaea on the Switch, for instance.
While that's true, I truly don't see this game getting the Disgaea effect simply by the fact that the PS5 isn't going to be a desirable product in Japan, even more at launch. This game will also not going to take advantage of any PS5 feature. A dual PS4/PS5 release would make much more sense.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
This series is dead. There hasn't been a new mainline game in years, and CH keep farming out low-quality spinoffs to other devs while they make new IPs that flop in Japan.

Oct 28, 2017
Neptunia series have a loyal fanbase that will generally mop up everything that are a part of the series. So honestly, this makes sense.

I won't lie, I love V and U. Zombies is weird but different and not bad, but vs SEGA Hard Girls is actually a lot of fun once it gets going a bit.

I tried playing U. It was mind-numbingly dull and I ended up falling asleep both times that I've tried.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
(I love them too)

It is a real bummer that this is another remake of the first game. The original one had the best story/humor, while ReBirth 1 brought us a good gameplay. Remaking it again now really doesn't make sense, the series is in a serious need of a new mainline game. They could bring in Stadia as a villain, and play with ideas such as GamePass for Vert, and what the transition to Switch meant to Blanc and the siblings. Not even that, just come up with something silly like the Seven Sages, as long as it is a new game...

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Hahah. Weird. Especially considering the first Neptunia game (and Rebirth1, its Vita remake) technically don't exist in the same canon as other games. Its the same characters/looks/personalities/setting, etc., but it had a story with a definitive end leaving no sequel room

And then the "sequel"- HN Mk 2 (Rebirth2)- more or less just retcons this ending but starts over a new story using the same characters/setting but with new story and all that's followed pretty much happens sequentially after this.

So now they remake part 1..again. LOL I don't get it. Sounds like a reboot to me.