• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's weird because on the outside of the dynamax wristband you can clearly see a Z-Crsytal slot :

For comparison Sun and Moon:

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Masuda needs to go. He has been there too long and is starting to ruin the franchise. I love Pokémon so much, it's the franchise that got me into gaming seriously, but I can't support this game or the current Game Freak any longer. I refuse to pay more for less content and less Pokémon.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah. Always felt like mega evolutions and Z moves was gamefreak trying too hard to add something different but they both ended up being unbalanced and superficial gimmicks that looked cool to market. They will never be able to revert these bad decisions back as this thread and your reaction show, but i'm fine with their absence in this game

Less content is good because I didn't like optional feature!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Always felt like mega evolutions and Z moves was gamefreak trying too hard to add something different but they both ended up being unbalanced gimmicks which brought superficial stuff that looked cool to market. They will never be able to revert these bad decisions back as this thread and your reaction show, but i'm fine with their absence in this game

Yea, it's an awkward position in where I wished they were handled differently to begin with, now their removal is just bittersweet. Or just bitter for some lol

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Always felt like mega evolutions and Z moves was gamefreak trying too hard to add something different but they both ended up being unbalanced gimmicks which brought superficial stuff that looked cool to market. They will never be able to revert these bad decisions back as this thread and your reaction show, but i'm fine with their absence in this game

They are deleting Pokemon from the universe with this move. How anyone can apologise for this and still consider themselves a fan of the brand is beyond me. For all intents and purposes these Pokemon no longer exist.

n_than

May 29, 2019
That is a huge step back. Mega evolution was a great addition to the gameplay.

I wish those things made it through the generations like genders in generation 2, natures/abilities in generation 3, categories of moves in generation 4 and hidden abilities in generation 5.

This makes me feel like the gameplay is always progressing.

Too bad Game Freak made this decision.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
They are deleting Pokemon from the universe with this move. How anyone can apologise for this and still consider themselves a fan of the brand is beyond me. For all intents and purposes these Pokemon no longer exist.
That's what bugs me about it. Some of them are my favorite monsters in the whole series and now they're just gone possibly forever? Ugh

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird because on the outside of the dynamax wristband you can clearly see a Z-Crsytal slot :

For comparison Sun and Moon:

That's not a Z slot. That's the Dynamax logo.

3bhtCZC.jpg

7qXVWyX.jpg

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I'm a fan of solid game design in this case, which pokemon has a lot of since the very first game. Enjoy the games a lot but they got bloated as fuck with all these superficial additions. It's a tough position as someone already pointed out.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish the Megas were retconned into new evolutions--specifically for the single stage Pokemon like Mawhile and Sableye.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
So Famitsu just confirmed another aspect that a lot of people have speculated about.

jGMjfVg.jpg

The footnote basically states that Dynamax is the new feature and both Mega Evolutions and Z-Move won't appear.

This is just a small update but a lot of people cared about Megas so I think it deserved its own thread.
Who wants to have Mega Evolution when you have Dynamax as a new battle feature to replace it? Dynamax is the future of Pokemon.
/s
Good riddance for Z-Moves, but kind of disappointing for Mega Evolutions. I will surely miss my Mega Scizor. :( [/spoile]

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Glad they're ditching those shallow gimmicks for something meaningful, that absolutely 100% will not be ditched in favor of another useless gimmick next gen!!!

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yea, it's an awkward position in where I wished they were handled differently to begin with, now their removal is just bittersweet. Or just bitter for some lol

I'm of the stance that they were a good idea on paper, but the way the implemented them left way too much to be desired. They straight up stopped creating new megas after ORAS and they also kind of played favorites when it came to both Z-Crystals and Mega Evolutions.

So it's kind of like yeah, I wished they had implemented them better but I'm not sad to see the completely unbalanced feature get removed.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Dynamax is a combination of all, so no problem there. I miss the epic designs of Meg's but apparently regular evolutions for older Pokémon are making a return, megas are acceptable sacrifice.

BTW, Gamefreak really needs an external studio to outsource the 3D model development for 1000 something Pokémon. This way is not acceptable. They're rich as fuck, they really need get some assistance.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
I don't think I've ever gone from crazy hyped to this down about a game this fast. GameFreak needs to be removed from the franchise. It's obvious they don't care.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
I won't lose sleep over Z-moves being cut, I kinda figured they wouldn't make the jump after yesterday's news.

Megas I'm a little more miffed about. There were some cool designs there, a lot of mons are gonna become trash again too

Oct 25, 2017
Dynamax is a combination of all, so no problem there. I miss the epic designs of Meg's but apparently regular evolutions for older Pokémon are making a return, megas are acceptable sacrifice.

BTW, Gamefreak really needs an external studio to outsource the 3D model development for 1000 something Pokémon. This way is not acceptable. They're rich as fuck, they really need get some assistance.
no it isnt

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Lmao at everyone here going

"Good because muh balance"

They can just ban them from competitive like many legendaries have been for ages.

Just say you're glad we're getting less content because you don't like some designs or the option to have them.

Less options are good if it's stuff I don't like!

This is the let's go defense all over again.

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely bad news. Z moves may look gimmicky at first but when people actually used them in a clever manner, it was quite interesting. For example, I love how Pokémon with no great flying moves like Dragonite or Gyarados used Z moves with Fly to ensure a devasting one turn attack. It's a great trump card that had a lot of potential, it's far from gimmicky, and that's coming from someone who really dislikes gen 7.

Megas were good, not when it was for an already good Pokemon but great in the same idea as Z moves. A trump card that could change the tide of battle. If there were more Megas, I think that would make a fun guessing game between the players "who is the Mega in his team" but they didn't develop the idea further.

A waste, I loved them both and know we are stuck with a worse version of both and just less creative overall. I actually stopped caring about this game but now I'm pretty sure I won't play them, too bad.

A combinaison of both but less creative, less durable and less useful overall

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Good, less bloat. For fair weather fans (like myself, hehe) it makes the game more manageable

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
This is my one-in-the-morning, low-effort brainstorm about bringing back Megas in some form without them being Megas. I don't expect anyone important to read this or anyone here to give any approval, it's just me thinking out loud to cope with this fuckery.

Type Changes:
Aggron: Steel
Charizard: Fire/Dragon
Gyarados: Water/Dark
Sceptile: Grass/Dragon

New Evolutions:
Altaria
Audino
Banette
Camerupt
Heracross
Houndoom
Kangaskhan*
Lopunny
Pinsir
Mawile
Medicham
Sableye
Scizor

* Pre-evolution, call it Kangaskid or something.

Nerfed Stat Boosts:
Abomasnow
Absol
Beedrill
Glalie
Manetric
Pideot
Slowbro
Sharpedo

Straight-Up Replaced:
Ampharos
Gallade
Steelix

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
I would rather they just retcon mega evolution into a regular form of evolution with less drastic stat boosts. It was always aesthetic anyway.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I'm not going to pretend that I used mega evolution for competitive multiplayer, so whatever. In casual gen 6 play throughs, mega evolution just makes the games even easier.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
They already removed triple and rotation battles last gen, lol. So who knows.
I imagine they removed triples from SuMo because with trainers being visible at all times + the increased background graphics means they were pushing the game too hard too handle 6 Pokemon at a single time. I mean the games chugged constantly with only doubles and during totem battles.
I'll be pissed if they don't bring them back. Triples I mean, I couldn't care less about rotation.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Not surprised. They keep coming up with these new battle mechanics every game and it's becoming tiresome. They can't make up their mind and feel like they need to undo and redo everything.

I'm beginning to think I'm done with the series after 20+ years. The future of Pokemon isn't for me and that's fine.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
What's worse is Galar's obvious proximity to Kalos where Mega stones originated. What's the logic?