• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.png
16999276.jpg

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Also please please don't allow Dynamax in competitive battles it will ruin everything, if they don't have Dynamax for PvP i might even forgive them for cutting some Pokémon.
They have already confirmed Dynamax is the battle mechanic for these games, will be the focus for competitive and PvP

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Why do I get more depressed about this game, why is the way lost.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
So glad to hear they're gone. I really haven't liked these constant gimmicks they keep adding. I much preferred when the gimmicks were additional to battles like the Poketch.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
no, im talking exactly about that 10%, the same that says ''lol pokemon games still sell a ton so gamefreak must be doing something right'' , the same who will come in this thread and act like pokemon taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back every game is normal
Oh well i guess that 10% is just inevitable.

ciD_Vain

Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I would have loved it if Dynamaxing Pokemon that had Mega Evolutions changed their appearance to their Mega Form at the very least.

Guess they're trying to even out the Pokémon?

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should have just made them perma-stone evolutions and kept them.

Z-moves are whatever, that system even in Ultra is so bolted on anyway.

Both are better than this stupid AF "oh look the Pokemon is big now" shit. How creatively bankrupt.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the end of the world, but I'm gonna miss my buddy mega Pidgeot and some of the other looks :( Would be nice if they could've kept the models somehow at least. But given they are not including all Pokemon I can see how megas are an even lower priority.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I always hated them both, so I'm not complaining.
But I will weep for Mega Mawile and Mega Pinsir though.
I have my fingers crossed they could implement the designs as proper evolutions.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
This sucks. I have so many pokemons trained for their mega abilities. So basically at least 20 of my competitive pokemons are useless again. Blaziken with speed boost is still viable, however with weaker Pokémon it sucks. Megas brought new fun elements and abilities to the game.

I shudder at the Pokédex shit because maybe half of my 98 competive Pokémon team might not be able to be transferred (as I have a variation of pokemons spanning several regions and underrated ones). This is a new low of gamefreak.

Last edited:

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
To the people saying they should've kept them as perma evolutions, they already mentioned waaay back when XY was released that they didn't want to make a new tier of evolutions and they wanted to make something that would feel unique.

So yeah, no chance of them doing that at all. :p

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
They've completely fucked mawile and sableye over

The list of Pokemon that get shit on by this move is actually far bigger than most Mega haters are willing to admit.

Good. Im glad they are getting rid of the gimmicks. Hope next game gets rid of Dynamaxing.

They got rid of gimmicks to add a gimmick. Next game will do the same, as they're apparently not convinced they can make a game that stands on its own terms and refines existing mechanics that were in need of it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Who needs those features when you can stomp into battle with your GIANT WOOLOO?

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Lazy dev rhetoric
It's a win-win for gamefreak -- easier to balance the game with fewer pokemon / options, and they can continue to be one of the laziest developers I've seen.

Oct 25, 2017
Pour one out for Mega Charizard X and Gallade.

Y'all happy to see it go acting like Megas were intrusive to the main story or anything save for final final battles.

And I know most of y'all don't fuck with competitive.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I loved Mega Evolutions much more than Z-Moves, but it's clear they didn't want to support it from now on. It's better the cut them out than keep them as vestigial mechanics. That said, I kinda want the same to happen to the Alolan forms. Unless this new gen has Galar forms as well.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Just reboot the series already if this will continue being the case going forward.

A real reboot. Start from scratch focusing on new Pokémon only and don't pretend it's a continuation of the old dexes.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
If Gamefreak really cared about competitive and balance, they would've given a lot more options for online battling a long time ago, and wouldn't have created stuff like mega rayquaza

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
This only makes Let's Go decision to have no cross gen evolutions even stupider, as the work spent on transfering mega evolution models is now being thrown away to the curb.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. People who hate Megas barely even have to see them, they could just keep the stones in postgame for competitive play. Between this and the compatibility news they've really killed my excitement for this entry.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I do not really like Megas but removing a big part of competitive battling, and also removing just the Mega designs themselves is super disheartening. I hate that Game Freak always does this. Z moves aren't so bad, but I still don't like it.

Rotation battles and Triple battles cut from 3DS games because the models were too high quality.

Now important aspects to the Gen 6 and 7 battle systems cut, apparently because the models are hard to do in high quality. (But they're the same???)

What's next, Alola Pokemon cut because we aren't in Poke Hawaii?

Can't wait until Dynamax is cut in Gen 9.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is arguing that certain Pokemon are worse without their Megas because that's pretty undeniable.

True, but a common complaint was when something powerful or "popular, but good enough" ended up getting one. Very few meeting that criteria turned out to be unhealthy for competitive environments. I would dare say, most of those ended up being redundant for that species.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I never liked Mega Evolutions, so I won't be shedding a tear over this. Pokémon has enough legacy baggage to deal with besides this stuff, and giving real evolutions to underpowered Pokémon is a more elegant, permanent solution anyway.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
It remains to be seen but I suspect Dynamax will be less interesting than z-moves. It's too flexible, with Z-moves you have one, very specific shot. Imagine a Dynamax Protean Greninja, what do you do agains something with 4 STAB Z-moves?
The list of Pokemon that get shit on by this move is actually far bigger than most Mega haters are willing to admit.
Pokemon that didnt need Megas:
Blaziken
Gengar
Lucario
Gyarados
Salamence
Tyranitar
Garchomp
Mewtwo
The Gen 3 trio
Swampert (maybe)

It's really not a big list

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Beedril, Charizard, Gengar, Kanghaskan and Mawile. They better give them a good ass Dynamax otherwise they will never be seen again.

It remains to be seen but I suspect Dynamax will be less interesting than z-moves. It's too flexible, with Z-moves you have one, very specific shot. Imagine a Dynamax Protean Greninja, what do you do agains something with 4 STAB Z-moves?

Pokemon that didnt need Megas:
Blaziken
Gengar
Lucario
Gyarados
Salamence
Tyranitar
Garchomp
Mewtwo
The Gen 3 trio
Swampert (maybe)

It's really not a big list
Gengar was nerfed to oblivion with the removal of Levitate, he's pretty average by himself. Sceptile is also shit and his mega was also shit.

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The Mega is the gimmick I liked the most (with respect to the Z-moves which was not my favourite feature)... And it was still present in Let's Go..

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Huzzah, less content!
Yeah. Always felt like mega evolutions and Z moves was gamefreak trying too hard to add something different but they both ended up being unbalanced and superficial gimmicks that looked cool to market. They will never be able to revert these bad decisions back as this thread and your reaction show, but i'm fine with their absence in this game