• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
I wish we had access to our old library. And wtf Sony, why is Vita missing from the list? Different architecture I know but it can't be difficult with the power difference.
Vita games have usage of the back touchpad as well as the touchscreen, camera etc so probably not that straightforward to deal with those features that aren't present on a Dualsense.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Does it not feel kind of weird that the most significant part of the announcement is the least explained? Even from Jim's comments it seems like he doesn't fully understand what they're offering yet either.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Does it not feel kind of weird that the most significant part of the announcement is the least explained? Even from Jim's comments it seems like he doesn't fully understand what they're offering yet either.

Yeah, it's easily the most annoying thing as well. A lot of the vitriol on the announcement would've been curbed if they had given even a taste of what titles are coming.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Really shoddy messaging. Maybe hold off the announcement until these key aspects are known (although the rumours provide a bit of a chicken and egg situation).

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I wonder if they're going back to whatever PS2 emulator they're using for PS2 classics on PS4 for the PS5?

This random ass list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_for_PlayStation_4

I've heard the emulation isn't bad?
The emulation is good to great on most titles. Some of them have some input latency added depending on the settings you have for smoothing and such (some more than others) but they're good enough for most of the catalog. My only real "problem" is that some of them, specifically KOF2000 and a few others, have some nasty glitches when played on a PS5. That and we got next to nothing here in the US compared to what Japan got.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

It certainly made the announcement fairly non-exciting.

The addition of classic games is the new part and, like you said, that's the least explained. Everything else is basically just normal PS+ and PS Now.

A list or some example classic games that we'll see returning to modern PlayStation would be the hype leader (for me at least!).

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is going to make or break the service for me. Need the list of games, improvements (if any) and whether the list is static or will grow in the future.

Would also be great if you could buy them separately outside the service.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Vita games have usage of the back touchpad as well as the touchscreen, camera etc so probably not that straightforward to deal with those features that aren't present on a Dualsense.
It's not optimal, but simply allowing Vita TV compatible titles would be a good start. There were a number of games that should've been compatible but weren't because the publisher (sometimes including Sony iirc) couldn't be bothered, but it'd be better than nothing.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
they better come with the CRT Royale shader. It's open-source. Take it, sony.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This announcement was a fumble IMO and they could have done a much better job here. My thinking is, they are trying to be vague and open ended due to the competition's service.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
No one will care about the lack of details at announcement time once those details are actually out at whatever time in the future. It really doesn't make a difference if they have the details now. Once people are actually able to get the thing they will have all the details they want. This is just step 1 marketing of getting awareness and interest out. If anything the lack of details keeps you interested in following the news to get the details whenever they do come.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

True, but that didn't stop Sony from implementing workarounds for PlayStation TV (analog stick controlled cursor to emulate touch controls). Camera is only used for a very small selection of titles and they could easily remove them from the white list.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
BRB, Jim Ryan. Using imagination because no footage. Although I guess based on his comment he hasn't seen it either...

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
No one will care about the lack of details at announcement time once those details are actually out at whatever time in the future. It really doesn't make a difference if they have the details now. Once people are actually able to get the thing they will have all the details they want. This is just step 1 marketing of getting awareness and interest out. If anything the lack of details keeps you interested in following the news to get the details whenever they do come.
New here? The lack of details will be analyzed and scrutinized till the bitter end. There will be several threads asking the same questions for months lol

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
This is the thing I'm most interested in. I couldn't play them if they looked native. With Xbox style enhancements though it could be appealing.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice to have the xbox approach of being able to use our ps1 or ps2 games we already may have.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
The emulation is good to great on most titles. Some of them have some input latency added depending on the settings you have for smoothing and such (some more than others) but they're good enough for most of the catalog. My only real "problem" is that some of them, specifically KOF2000 and a few others, have some nasty glitches when played on a PS5. That and we got next to nothing here in the US compared to what Japan got.

That's heartening to hear. Jury's still out on selection and buying things a la carte. We'll see what they have.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Hopes:
  • Realllly hoping that we can buy them separately without a sub.
  • Fantastic 3rd party support (Atlus, Capcom, Konami)
  • Emulation is good of course
Dreams:
  • If they allow separate purchases, let me not have to buy the classics that I already bought on PS3
  • FPS boost
  • They somehow manage to get PS3 emulation working in the near future

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Classic PS games are the only incentive to subscribe to their higher PS Plus tier. Why would they sell those games separately? It's very unlikely.

I think this could backfire in terms of public perception, considering they've already re-sold those games individually, and just took away support for the modern digital licenses on their newer platforms. This wouldn't have any influence on new adopters, but for any of us who've been consistent customers over the years, it's not even THAT long since they were selling them on PSN.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
He can't say what he thinks of them because we already know how he feels about how old games look lmao

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking that they will not be available to purchase simply due to the fact that Sony doesn't want to hear people screaming that their previous purchases should be brought forward.

Marco_Tovarich

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I think this could backfire in terms of public perception, considering they've already re-sold those games individually, and just took away support for the modern digital licenses on their newer platforms. This wouldn't have any influence on new adopters, but for any of us who've been consistent customers over the years, it's not even THAT long since they were selling them on PSN.

Sure, I agree and that would be the ideal scenario. But they are locking access to these games behind a 20% premium, and it's the only reason for the top tier to exist.

The signals I'm getting is that they know only the most dedicated gamers are interested in these games, so they won't mind paying extra to access them.

EDIT: if it was the other way around, and classic games were offered in the second tier, and PS Now in the third one, I would agree that there's a plan to sell them separately.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If there arent any enhancements to the PS3 games its a hard pass for me.

They're streaming so I don't think we're going to see much there. PSnow pretty much has every PS3 title you'd expect outside stuff that used mandatory six-axis

They could price the games in such a way to promote the value of the subscription vs buying them outright. I think it could go either way.

It'll definitely be a balance since pricing higher than they were on PS3 or the PS2 on PS4 classics will be a hard sell if the extra features aren't there like trophies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I would take savestates and crazy emulation options (turbo/filters/etc) over trophies.