• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PatriotSaro

Banned
Nov 8, 2019
Told them that I love the series and want to see more releases. Told them to ignore the Sugiyama hate, that his work is still great and can't wait to listen to what ever comes next.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't finished the game so I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this yet but someone please for the love of god mention how the series needs more music variety.

Every DQ feels like it only has about five or six tunes and you're constantly hearing them over 80 hours.

Oct 25, 2017
For me, its the gameplay.

I really really don't like it. I don't think it does ANYTHING interesting in the slightest. It is the most bare minimum turn based battle system I have played in a long while.

Secondly, I hate the main character being completely mute. I don't attach myself to him at all. He's just this mannequin people talk at. A personality would be welcome.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
"Sugiyama music is shit, his compositions are shit, his MIDI samples are shit. He is shit... but beyond that the game is fantastic"

URKusZi.gif

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Secondly, I hate the main character being completely mute. I don't attach myself to him at all. He's just this mannequin people talk at. A personality would be welcome.

You don't exactly have to have voice acting on mute characters, nor do you have to have voice acting on RPG's just to have a personality, period. It doesn't make the character in a certain RPG game.

You would be having people complain about awful voices & all of that jazz if they don't sound right in their eyes.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
"Queer people don't matter as much to me as an old fuck past his prime." Took forever but glad at least one of you can finally be honest about your feelings

I am good off that. I never said you guys can't do it. I am for freedom of expression; I am just not going to do it. Go ahead and maybe you'll get your wish. I know the Japanese audiences won't like it but it is better now than never.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't exactly have to have voice acting on mute characters, nor do you have to have voice acting on RPG's just to have a personality, period. It doesn't make the character in a certain RPG game.

You would be having people complain about awful voices & all of that jazz if they don't sound right in their eyes.

/shrug

A lot of modern jrpgs do, and it's something I would like to see. Especially if EVERYONE talks excpet the main character. Thats bizarre and took my out of the world a lot of the times when I played dq 11.

jesusraz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wasn't there talk of a localised DQX being shown in France ages ago? Here's hoping enough people remembered to request the eventual release of it now. Would be a good time to announce it for Switch, PS4 and PC after the recent sales update SE released about DQXI.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I just started playing this and I really like it so far. Buut my girlfriend already hates the music lol, I don't think it's that bad so far.

Who is Sugiyama? Did he do the music?

Edit: okay I just google 'what is wrong with Sugiyama' ooof...

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Real talk, even if Sugiyama isn't a piece of shit...I still consider his music out of style, and one of the causes for DQ's low sales in West.
Nier's music helped sales. Sugiyama, not so much.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing this and I really like it so far. Buut my girlfriend already hates the music lol, I don't think it's that bad so far.

Who is Sugiyama? Did he do the music?

Edit: okay I just google 'what is wrong with Sugiyama' ooof...
Which version you are playing? Depending on the version the composition ranges from simply mediocre with the best music being from older entries to ear cringes.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What ResetEra says: "Sugiyama and his music suck ass"
What Square understands: "So we should make a Dragon Quest with Pop or Rock music?"
:/

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What ResetEra says: "Sugiyama and his music suck ass"
What Square understands: "So we should make a Dragon Quest with Pop or Rock music?"
:/

I kind of want to see this happen just because it'd be the Tokyo Mirage Sessions drama x1000 in Japan

that and anything is better than Sugiyama

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Can someone explain why the hate for Sugiyama? What happened?

I just want them to make a PS4 version of all the enhancement the Switch version has.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why the hate for Sugiyama? What happened?

Short answer: Guy donates to Nationalistic groups that want to bring Japan back to it's glory days, groups that are war crime deniers, wanting to effectively push back women to more traditional roles, extremely pro-military despite outcries by many Japanese (notably older) against this, horrendously homophobic (which wasn't an entire shocker, but that came out more recently), and among other things.

While we really can't do too much about the game side (that's a huge mess, trust me, since he has a co-copyright of the series and has effectively control of the Music and Entertainment business, but I do appreciate people letting Square Enix know how they feel despite this), Sugiyama also fully controls the music, so any profits off his CDs and Concert Ticket Sales, he directly profits off of 100% of these and donates money to said groups.

Given he started restricting orchestral scores of the music in his games within the last 5-7 years, I can only assume he doesn't get too much in terms of profit there and it's why it got restricted more-so to the soundtrack and concert releases, which he does fully profit off of.

Either way, he's not a good person.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
God fucking damn it I am late for this form. I really wanted to let them know the music sucks ass. Not because of Sugiyama's person but because of his lack of musical talent. The fact that they thought MIDI was acceptable on PC/PS4 was just icing on the cake but the music itself isn't good to begin with.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Got in here too late. Shame.

Loved the game tho, and the midi music didn't bother me as much as some people. Might replay the game on the switch tho

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the full results posted on twitter but I guess we're not supposed to link scans here. And I lost the twitter post anyway XD

I'm happy to report though that Sylvando ranked most popular character. Erik in second. Good job everyone!

Oct 26, 2017
It was...

Sylvando
Erik
Jade
Veronica
Eleven
Hendrik
Serena
Rab

I don't know who was after Rab. Apparently a popular write-in was Slime.

Also, the game's music was the second LEAST popular feature of the game. 😈
Guess I shouldn't be surprised Jade ranked so high but I've found her to be rather plain compared to the rest of the cast.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Jade is pretty great to use in battles since she has a large variety of powerful skills. She's just one of the weaker characters story-wise.

Also, the game's music was the second LEAST popular feature of the game.

Now I need to know what was the least favorite thing about the game, if not the music.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Guess I shouldn't be surprised Jade ranked so high but I've found her to be rather plain compared to the rest of the cast.
Another thing I found interesting was that Hendrik was just six votes behind Eleven.

(Also, they published a comment asking for Dragon Quest X in the west.)

Now I need to know what was the least favorite thing about the game, if not the music.
The mini-games.

Alternatively, the cast of characters was the most liked aspect of the game overall. Story was second. Battle system was third.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy Sylvando is the most popular character and the shitty music the most disliked part of the game.

I'm a bit perplexed about Jade being 3rd place in the poll, though. I guess we shouldn't blame developers for fan service because it's what sells. Jade is basically pointless. You could remove her from the game entirely and nothing would change. She's the only character without her own arc or backstory. The little side story she gets is completely disposable and only about her being a sexual object and wearing a bunnysuit. I finished the game today and was surprised she was even given one line in the ending cutscenes (I think it literally was only one line and it was just a random remark with four words lol).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy Sylvando is the most popular character and the shitty music the most disliked part of the game.

I'm a bit perplexed about Jade being 3rd place in the poll, though. I guess we shouldn't blame developers for fan service because it's what sells. Jade is basically pointless. You could remove her from the game entirely and nothing would change. She's the only character without her own arc or backstory. The little side story she gets is completely disposable and only about her being a sexual object and wearing a bunnysuit. I finished the game today and was surprised she was even given one line in the ending cutscenes (I think it literally was only one line and it was just a random remark with four words lol).
She also had her reunion with her father in the postgame, plus implications about her eventual future role in the kingdom. But yeah, in general her character was pretty flat and in no way deserving of being ahead of Veronica (or anyone else really). I did like her big sister relationship with Eleven though, it might've been better if they'd just made her his actual sister in the game.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Keiichi Okabe has expressed interest in composing for DQ, so that's who I'd love to see take over when Sugiyama retires or dies.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Mechanically, she's one of the more interesting characters since you can build her in drastically different ways.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Jade should've been a FeMC counterpart if they didn't feel like giving her a place in the story beyond fanservice.

It's so frustrating that her best — and only good — scenes are before she even joins the party. Act 2 just devastates her character and locks her combat potential behind a gross bunny outfit.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Mechanically, she's one of the more interesting characters since you can build her in drastically different ways.
She's pretty useful early on but I dropped her (and Rab) in entirely in act 3, safe for some bosses where I swapped her in for a dead character at the end of the fight. She has no access to magic and doesn't come close to Erik's insane physical damage output, even Hero is better than her at that point, and he's much more versatile. She has some neat AOE skills, but in act 3 she doesn't outclass anyone in any area, she becomes useless both story- and gameplay-wise.