• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Gematsu has a round-up of the yearly feature Famitsu runs. I'll include a couple of the responses, alongside a bit of context on who the person answering the question is, but as always, click through to the source for the full thing:
www.gematsu.com

Famitsu interviews Japanese creators on 2021 ambitions [Update: 4Gamer]

Famitsu has gone up with its end-of-year creator interviews. The website interviewed 110 creators, many of which tease plans for 2021.

■ Bandai Namco Entertainment

Manabu Shimomoto

Keywords for 2021: "Challenge!"

What's New: "While keeping an eye on the state of the world, I'd like to carry out the plans for the Ace Combat series' 25th anniversary that were scheduled for 2020, but unfortunately weren't realized, though in a different form. Please continue to support the Ace Combat series!"
Kensuke Tsukanaka

Keywords for 2021: "Growth."

What's New: "I'm anticipating the day that I can announce the title I'm developing to everyone, and steadily advancing on preparations."

Tsukanaka is the Bamco side producer of the Project X Zone series. Don't expect that to come back, since the Monolith Soft side director and producer left the company years ago, but maybe expect his project to be an SRPG anyway, as he has ties to the Banpresto / B.B. Studio side of the company.

Junzo Hosoi

Keywords for 2021: "Reboot."

Ambitions for 2021: "The Gust brand will take on various challenges in 2021, including a cross-media project! There are some titles that we weren't able to announce last year, so please look forward to them."
Gust? Cross-media project? Sounds like another financial disaster (see: Augmented Reality Girls Trinary), but... Also sounds like another Akira Tsuchiya (creator of the Ar Tonelico series) game, so it could be potentially mindblowing.

Keisuke Kikuchi

Keywords for 2021: "Rebuild."

Ambitions for 2021: "2020 was a year where things that were normal were no longer normal. I'd like to look at what's important and what I love once more, and create a game with a fresh perspective. 2021 is also the 20th anniversary of the Fatal Frame series, so I'd like to celebrate it in some way if possible."

What's New: "We're working hard to announce some titles by spring. We're developing a wide range of titles, from those currently under adjustment to those with pending names."
He said the thing! FATAL FRAME!

Katsura Hashino

Keywords for 2021: "Silence."

Ambitions for 2021: "With last year's novel coronavirus causing swift change throughout the world, all we can do is continue focusing on our work. Our title in development is going through an important phase and we want to face it head on in order to deliver some interesting gameplay to the world."

What's New: "I'd like to announce the title we're developing as soon as possible. We've previously created contemporary dramas, but please look forward to the 'fantasy RPG' we're taking on next."
It does not sound like Project Re: Fantasy, announced in 2016, will be coming in 2021.

■ Kadokawa Games

Yoshimi Yasuda

Keywords for 2021: "Release a new title and two remastered titles."

2021 Ambition: "For the past two years, I've been working as hard as I can with the God Wars development team, which I direct, on the production of a new title and remastered titles. We're currently developing three titles, two of which will be announced in 2021. And if possible, we'll release those two titles as well. It'll take a bit more time, but please look forward to it."

What's New: "The God Wars team is becoming a development studio with quite the number of people. We've recently been even more revitalized with the addition of newcomers and veteran developers alike, and the team atmosphere is quite good. We'll deliver some good stuff with this staff."
The God Wars team was apparently approached to develop a PS5 game sometime during 2019. There's also that Front Mission-ish mecha game (Project Stella) they announced a while ago. The remasters might be Langrisser 3 and 4? Hopefully the visuals are less dire this time, because the games are actually real good.

Yoshinori Kitase

Keywords for 2021: "The story will connect…"

What's New: "Future Final Fantasy VII developments are in preparation. But please wait a little while longer for details."
Yousuke Saito

Keywords for 2021: "NieR."

What's New: "I'm working on NieR for just a little while longer. Then there's also Babylon's Fall and a completely new title. I'm pretty busy…"
Noriyoshi Fujimoto

Keywords for 2021: "Changelessness."

Ambitions for 2021: "Dragon Quest will celebrate its 35th anniversary, so I hope to be able to announce something."

There are over a dozen other responses in the article (from folks like Sakaguchi, Yu Suzuki, etc), so click through for more. Crush my ambitions if old.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Some people may be interested in:

Hideki Kamiya

Keywords for 2021: "Do my best."

What's New: "First off, many people are worried about Bayonetta 3 considering there hasn't been any new information since its announcement, but verifications of new systems have been going great and development is going very well, so please wait with peace of mind. (This is a copy of my 2020 comment.) Also Project G.G. (title tentative) has finally started moving, so please look forward to it."

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by Yu Suzuki's comment I guess he's taking a hard look at how Shenmue 3's combat could be improved for a possible sequel. I'm glad to hear that.

Oct 25, 2017
Kitase one is interesting. I didn't expect any FFVIIR2 news until XVI has had its time in the limelight, but it also suggests a Part 1 re-release (PC or next gen) may not be coming any time soon.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm sure I'll think FFVIIR Part 2 is amazing. I just wish they planned out the announcement and development a little better so the wait wouldn't be as agonizing. But it's ok

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Combat wasn't the only issue with Shenmue 3...

Also regarding SMT5:

■ Atlus

Shinjirou Takata

Keywords for 2021: "Think outside the box."

What's New: "So about Shin Megami Tensei V… we're working hard on development to make it an even better product. You'll be waiting a little while longer, but please look forward to it."

Sounds like a delay is imminent... :(

And Persona series:

Kazuhisa Wada

Keywords for 2021: "Carrying out my original intentions."

What's New: "My project has been steadily in the works. Thanks to everyone, the Persona series will celebrate its 25th anniversary! We have exciting plans in the works, so please look forward to it."

Maybe it is time for a P6 tease?

Oct 27, 2017
Tomoya Asano
Keywords for 2021: "Bravely!! (For the second year in a row.)"
Ambitions for 2021: "I hope Bravely Default II is a success and that I can prepare for the next one (whether that's Third or III I don't know)."

Bravely Third lives! (?) Please become a good series, I need the bravely.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
cross media project is a death knell for any of these projects lol
Team Ninja talking about giving Nioh a rest sounds fine. Better that than burning yourself and fans out by just throwing out another sequel.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
new fatal frame hype!

Whilst I'd love for that to be the case, I'm not holding my breath until any announcement actually happens. This tease could just be for some sort of media related thing. The last game really put the series to sleep (and the dev team have been helping out on the Nioh series since).

I don't think we'll see P6 but who knows. I'm hoping for a P3emake myself.

I mean the last game was 5 years ago at this point, so I'd imagine it's time for a new one? Not like Atlus don't have a history of announcing things too early anyway (see: Persona 5, SMT5, Project Re:Fantasy).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whilst I'd love for that to be the case, I'm not holding my breath until any announcement actually happens. This tease could just be for some sort of media related thing. The last game really put the series to sleep (and the dev team have been helping out on the Nioh series since).

I mean the last game was 5 years ago at this point, so I'd imagine it's time for a new one? Not like Atlus don't have a history of announcing things too early anyway (see: Persona 5, SMT5, Project Re:Fantasy).

Maiden of Black Water didn't sell that bad. ~50k vs ~70k for the peak of the series with the obvious caveat that it was a Wii U game.

Koei Tecmo was restructured with the Fatal Frame team being folded into Team Ninja and Kikuchi going to manage Gust but if Nintendo wants a new Fatal Frame then Koei Tecmo will put a team together; they already work across divisions to make the Fire Emblem & Hyrule Warriors games.

That said I would expect an adaptation of Maiden of Black Water for Switch before a new game.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Some people may be interested in:

surprised that Kamiya's keyword is not....BLOCKED.

surprised that the nobody from capcom uses the keywords: WE DO IT!

cfee55d95d038a9b473c160a004722b7-1200-80.jpg

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Combat wasn't the only issue with Shenmue 3...

Also regarding SMT5:

Sounds like a delay is imminent... :(

And Persona series:

Maybe it is time for a P6 tease?

Considering how it's slated for a generic 2021, I believe that thinking it's been delayed beyond 2021 when 2021 hasn't even started yet is a bit jumping to conclusions. Now, if you meant a delay with a release still slated by the end of 2021 (example: from end of Q2 to end of Q3 / beginning of Q4), that's definitely not outside of realm of possibilities. Anyway, going by the statement, it probably isn't releasing in the first half of 2021.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
They seem to have missed out Kou Shibusawa who said that they're going to start talking about a new game next year, which has an "oriental" flavour to it, with an emphasis on Japanese culture and themes.

Considering they're giving Nioh a rest, I wonder what it could be.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Suda51 was quoted in this saying that NMH3 is in its debugging phase of development, seems like they skipped that quote though

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Team Ninja being done with Nioh for now means Ninja Gaiden 4 is next.

CyberConnect2
Hiroshi Matsuyama
Keywords for 2021: "Release Fuga: Melodies of Steel!"
Ambitions for 2021: "We'll release Fuga: Melodies of Steel at all costs. We've kept you waiting for the game, and even for new information, so we'll give you all the details at once and then release it. Please look forward to it!"

Nice, this looked neat.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
They seem to have missed out Kou Shibusawa who said that they're going to start talking about a new game next year, which has an "oriental" flavour to it, with an emphasis on Japanese culture and themes.

Koei Tecmo makes a lot of oriental stuff.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what remasters Kadokawa could be talking about. They own From, maybe they could remaster their older games? I want Lost Kingdoms 1-2!

I guess Team Ninja being done with Nioh for now means Ninja Gaiden 4 is next.

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy is leaked for Switch and PS4, that kinda hints that they have plans for the series.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Koei Tecmo makes a lot of oriental stuff.

Exactly, so I'm wondering what he's talking about as the way it's worded, he's referring to one title in particular.

Edit: Here's the quote - "We're still developing a game with oriental taste that will be enjoyed by worldwide game fans this year. It will be especially themed with Japanese history and culture."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, so I'm wondering what he's talking about as the way it's worded, he's referring to one title in particular.

Edit: Here's the quote - "We're still developing a game with oriental taste that will be enjoyed by worldwide game fans this year. It will be especially themed with Japanese history and culture."
The original quote is 「世界中のゲームファンが楽しめる、オリエンタルテイストのゲームソフトを今年も開発し続けます。とくに日本の歴史や文化をテーマにした作品で勝負していきます」. I'd be a little wary of reading too much into the nitty gritty of translations.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Samurai Warriors 5 is way overdue FWIW.

OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what remasters Kadokawa could be talking about. They own From, maybe they could remaster their older games? I want Lost Kingdoms 1-2!

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy is leaked for Switch and PS4, that kinda hints that they have plans for the series.
Kadokawa Games is separate from From, even though it's the same parent. Like I mention, it's likely Langrisser 3 + 4 since 1 + 2 came out early 2019. It could also conceivably be an older Metal Max game or something.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The original quote is 「世界中のゲームファンが楽しめる、オリエンタルテイストのゲームソフトを今年も開発し続けます。とくに日本の歴史や文化をテーマにした作品で勝負していきます」

Hmmm, you could interpret this as either as one game or multiple projects. Either way he says especially Japanese history and culture; assuming he's not referring to the Nioh ports, just wondering what game(s) that's referring to.

Samurai Warriors 5 is way overdue FWIW.

I'm assuming it's something like this, yeah.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

The original quote is 「世界中のゲームファンが楽しめる、オリエンタルテイストのゲームソフトを今年も開発し続けます。とくに日本の歴史や文化をテーマにした作品で勝負していきます」. I'd be a little wary of reading too much into the nitty gritty of translations.

Hmmm, you could interpret this as either as one game or multiple projects. Either way he says especially Japanese history and culture; assuming he's not referring to the Nioh ports, just wondering what game(s) that's referring to.

I'm assuming it's something like this, yeah.

He's talking about Kou Shibusawa brand games in general (Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Nobunaga's Ambition, etc.) The quote is something like: "We'll continue to develop games with an oriental taste that game fans all over the world can enjoy this year as well. Particularly those that are themed after Japanese history and culture." So nothing really interesting or new in that.

Still not sure about the legitimacy of this. It was on the retailer site, but the listing just seems very strange in general especially the placeholder art they chose.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Still not sure about the legitimacy of this. It was on the retailer site, but the listing just seems very strange in general especially the placeholder art they chose.

2 separate retailers listed the trilogy, the first one didn't have any placeholder cover art. It was the second one's doing.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Kadokawa Games is separate from From, even though it's the same parent. Like I mention, it's likely Langrisser 3 + 4 since 1 + 2 came out early 2019. It could also conceivably be an older Metal Max game or something.
I wonder if the PC El Shaddai remaster might he one of them (and also console bound)? They worked with Crim on the genre divergent canon sequel (The Lost Child).

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's part of what makes me think they'll do another Ninja Gaiden next.

Combined with them being done with Nioh for a bit, and Nioh already being pretty similar to Ninja Gaiden. It also feels like a brand that still has value/name recognition despite some missteps so they're bound to use it again eventually.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
2 separate retailers listed the trilogy, the first one didn't have any placeholder cover art. It was the second one's doing.

Second retailer is irrelevant, it was Xtralife. They post listings based on rumors all the time and make their own placeholder artwork for them. The placeholder cover artwork they used for the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy listing was just the logo posted by the first retailer (HKGSE) slapped onto the same 3D box art they use for all their other listings. I used to check on them quite a lot a couple years back and they're not a reliable source for retail leaks at all, trust me on this. But the first retailer (HKGSE) is reliable in that I haven't seen them post any nonsense in the past. The inclusion of that retro-style logo that looks like it could've been thrown together by anyone is what throws me off.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Love the Ace Combat shoutout. I think 7's reception and pretty good sales for the franchise might have perked Bandai Namco's ears a bit more towards the series. They just gotta dial down the kojima style story telling next time and get some better PR to convey that its not a hardcore flight sim and might even be more successful.

Also Ridge Racer dammit!

Oct 31, 2017

Omg don't give me hope I would fucking never worry about having low dopamine ever again if Lost Kingdoms gets another chance at life

(let's be real it'll never happen. People automatically think "cards=ew" even though they're Action games)

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Aha, one of the questions they ask everyone is what you're looking forward to watching, etc. Lots of Evangelion, MCU Spider-Man 3, and other expected answers.

Yep, most responses to that section were about TV shows or movies. I only included it in Doucet's case because of the new project mention.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

Also Persona Q2 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, both of which were announced so early and then nothing happened that people were starting to speculate that they had been cancelled.

Nah, just Atlus being Atlus.