• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a time in the 90's when Famitsu giving you a good review meant your game was basically God Tier? IIRC Mario 64 was the first game to get a perfect score from them, and the (UK at least) gaming media flipping out. I'm sure I didn't imagine that... what the hell happened?
That was before games like Peace Walker and Final Fantasy XIII-2 got perfect scores. Now nobody overseas takes their scores seriously (although, the written thoughts form the reviewers is still useful).

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
While they're not going to be that useful, do we have Famitsu scores for All-Star Racing and Transformed?

(And do the records go back far enough for Sonic R... and even Sonic Drift?)

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
While they're not going to be that useful, do we have Famitsu scores for All-Star Racing and Transformed?

(And do the records go back far enough for Sonic R... and even Sonic Drift?)

I can't find anything about ASR but Transformed apparently got a 33/40 with 7/9/9/8.

EDIT: Oh, just realized - there aren't any Famitsu scores for the original ASR because it didn't get released in Japan.

Last edited:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
For comparison, Sonic Forces got a 35/40 and Mania a 32/40.
tenor.gif

And that's how you delegitimize yourself.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
LOL did they really gave Forces a higher score than Mania?

These scores truly are useless.

Remember, any throwback game has the chance of being accused of being...
  • ...nostalgia bait
  • ...archaic
  • ...unambitious
It doesn't matter how good the game in question is. You can see this in the way a lot of excellent indie games are instantly disregarded by people. Hell, there are certain individuals who seem to see bashing these types of games as a holy crusade whenever they become popular.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why do we still post Famitsu scores when everyone just accepts they mean sweet fuck all?
Isn't it super pointless?

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thier scores are useless because they tend to give good scores to universally panned games like Quantum Theory and Left Alive which got 8/8/8/7 or something. FFXIII, which isn't a bad game a near perfect 39/40 I think and XIII-2 a perfect score. Then they also had controversial stuff with Peace Walker being heavily advertised while getting a perfect score.

It doesn't add up with their scores in the past, where they seemed to be more credible.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
They only matter when it's 40/40.

Then the list shows up, everyone freaks, damage control in one side, hype in the other.