• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've always found rating games like that it's terrible, like what's the difference between 36 or 38 in this context?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I've always found rating games like that it's terrible, like what's the difference between 36 or 38 in this context?

Sorta. Famitsu has four reviewers that each rate a game from 1 to 10, so the 36 versus 38 could mean a bit depending on how the four reviewes went. Like three 10s and an 8 versus three 10s and a 6. Though it could mean less like two 10s and two 9s versus 9s across the board.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Doesn't mean shit, but I do believe that 1 point was lost because:

Animal Crossing New Horizons fails to retain and then advance the Animal Crossing spirit, of being a reactivity-driven simulation of moving away from home for the first time and getting to know the new foreign place you've put yourself in. Reactivity is replaced with modifiers and unlocks and grind-driven approach to just about any activity that's carried over from previous games. It's no longer a "play at your pace" experience, it's a "Fear of Missing Out, Stress-inducer" where you're constantly considering your numbers and comparing your creativity to others and if the game gave you a randomized element it drops its messaging of "learn to love it" with "go and redo it yourself."

One point says a lot.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Animal Crossing New Horizons fails to retain and then advance the Animal Crossing spirit, of being a reactivity-driven simulation of moving away from home for the first time and getting to know the new foreign place you've put yourself in. Reactivity is replaced with modifiers and unlocks and grind-driven approach to just about any activity that's carried over from previous games. It's no longer a "play at your pace" experience, it's a "Fear of Missing Out, Stress-inducer" where you're constantly considering your numbers and comparing your creativity to others and if the game gave you a randomized element it drops its messaging of "learn to love it" with "go and redo it yourself."

One point says a lot.
I know you're joking, but you need to drop this whole thing about the customisation, it's every time you post about the game 😅

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
A selection of other games Famitsu has scored 38:
Pokémon Sw/Sh
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls 3
Super Mario Galaxy
The Last Guardian
The Last Remnant
Ni No Kuni 2

What this score for Animal Crossing and these comparisons mean: absolutely nothing

Exactly, if anything it shows its a good game cause there is only one actual bad game on the list.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Are we still treating Famitsu as a valuable source? AFAIK they're easily brought and bribed for scores.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we could ban Famitsu score threads completely, or at least the ones with just a score. They appear more or less pointless anyway.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

One point says a lot.
Given that they gave the atrocious New Leaf a 39, I don't think this has anything to do with "the Animal Crossing spirit."

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019

One point says a lot.
Tales from your ass, chapter 38

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
:D All this time, I never knew there was an AC for N64.

The gamecube one was a port of it, it's why the characters look the way they do.

It was from back in the day when Nintendo couldn't be bothered to translate games and it didn't release in europe until 2004, 3 years after the US.

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
Not a bad score by any means but I'm surprised it's not at least a 39. Regardless, I don't usually take famitsu reviews seriously nowadays. I'm anticipating more reviews! Anyone know when we should expect to see them?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I am totally missing the joke in this thread. Can someone please explain?

Famitsu review scores are basically bullshit so people like to joke about them being paid off or cheques bouncing.

The only reason why they get attention is because they're some of the first reviews to come out, and people tend to over analyze them even though they're meaningless.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It was from back in the day when Nintendo couldn't be bothered to translate games and it didn't release in europe until 2004, 3 years after the US.
EDIT: Yeah it was 3 years late and a fun fact is that NOA's translation impressed the team so much they translated it back into the japanese game and released it as "Doubutsu no Mori e+" on GameCube.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Throwing my Switch in the garbage, screw this. Nintendo is doomed.

Kidding lol, absolutely CANNOT wait for the 20th