• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
That house has officially left the realm of tacky and entered the realm of delightfully retro. I'd live in that house as-is, shag carpet and all.

Carpeted bathrooms are stupid though. My college girlfriend's parents had a master bathroom with carpeted floors, and I can't imagine how much work it must have taken to keep those clean.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Bathroom carpets....

pu5tamqjhrb41.jpg

My parents' bathroom was a brown shag, but didn't go up the tub. When it got ripped up, apparently it used to be linoleum that I guess the original owners covered up :/

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
News reader: "family scored the ultimate retro-styled home..."

If it's just old that's not retro-styled.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That looks amazing.

I want it it but 10 years of living in such an open floorplan home makes me not no matter how pretty.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Carpet in bathrooms was a thing?

Why?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
There's some neat architecture here to play with, but it seriously needs gutted (I would gut from safety and cleanliness alone).

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That house is sick. Not sure about the carpet in the bathroom??? I like their outfits. Carpet room with a fireplace with no screen? That's an accident waiting to happen.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
it is beautiful

IF THESE PEOPLE GUT THIS HOME AND MAKE IT SOME MODERN WHITE BASED BORING BULLSHIT..... I WILL DO NOTHING.... BUT I WILL CRY
I'm with you on that one. Nothing looks UGLIER than a modern home with the interior design that looks like a fuckin' office building. THAT SHIT is ugly as fuck and I can't understand how anybody thinks that looks good. It's like living in a doctor's office.

I've been getting into (maybe within the past year) Canadian urban explorers that go through abandoned/to-be-demonlished houses. Some of those houses are a real trip. A lot are in pretty torn-up shape, but dammit, some are just so cool looking with all those old furniture and appliances. It's like they are frozen in time.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I can live with a lot, but carpet next to a fire place, in the kitchen, and the bathroom would not stand.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
My folks bought a mountain home outside of Palm Springs from Red Skelton's widow. It was only used a couple of weeks out of the year and was like moving in to a brand new 50s home. The colorful shag felt so good on bare feet. It looked like none of the appliances were ever used too.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand in what universe was carpet in bathrooms and kitchens was ok. Forget the look, that shit would mildew so fast
My parents' bathroom had carpet. The house was relatively updated except for that. Idk what was going through the original owner's mind.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
it is beautiful

IF THESE PEOPLE GUT THIS HOME AND MAKE IT SOME MODERN WHITE BASED BORING BULLSHIT..... I WILL DO NOTHING.... BUT I WILL CRY
I think they can keep the fireplace and ceiling and make it look modern without being bland. It's a pretty retro style just in the shape and the way it's laid out.

They should absolutely annihilate the kitchen, the carpet and the bathroom though, that shit is horrible. They could put down some nicer flooring that still has a fun vibe.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think they can keep the fireplace and ceiling and make it look modern without being bland. It's a pretty retro style just in the shape and the way it's laid out.

They should absolutely annihilate the kitchen, the carpet and the bathroom though, that shit is horrible. They could put down some nicer flooring that still has a fun vibe.
Modernize absolutely nothing about this place... short of finding retro looking new appliances.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you on that one. Nothing looks UGLIER than a modern home with the interior design that looks like a fuckin' office building. THAT SHIT is ugly as fuck and I can't understand how anybody thinks that looks good. It's like living in a doctor's office.

I've been getting into (maybe within the past year) Canadian urban explorers that go through abandoned/to-be-demonlished houses. Some of those houses are a real trip. A lot are in pretty torn-up shape, but dammit, some are just so cool looking with all those old furniture and appliances. It's like they are frozen in time.

Ohh dope

I always think my ideal home decor is Ron Burgandy's from Anchorman lol

I just absolutely love the wood paneling, dark browns and greens with splashes of funky colours.... modern houses are too bright and I just like to exist in the shade lol

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've been house hunting and I LOVE places that had old folks either dying/moving and leaving behind reeeeallly retro style housing.
It's honestly kinda fun to make a game of what decade a house is from just based on the style inside.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I almost bought a house just like this a few months ago.

Everything was original and well maintained, down to the built-in whole house cassette player, corning wear appliances, and wall to wall insane wallpapers, even in the bathrooms. It was majestic, I was in love.

Then I took a tour and realized the foundation was sinking, the balconies were falling apart, electrical issues were everywhere, and they had squirrels living in the basement. It was a sad day.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
That actually looks similar to my kindergarten room in elementary school (was at the time a new building), although it didn't have a fireplace in the middle of the room, dangerously open and surrounded by carpet.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
"The kitchen has all the original appliances"

Better hope they had an reputable electrician check those over 3 times

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While not quite the same style in carpet and such, architecturally, I'm looking for a similar home someday. I'm obsessed with mid century modern homes.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
I've been house hunting and I LOVE places that had old folks either dying/moving and leaving behind reeeeallly retro style housing.
It's honestly kinda fun to make a game of what decade a house is from just based on the style inside.

Same! My wife and I looked at a really great house that was built in the 70s and hadn't been updated (it even had a tiki themed den). Unfortunately, the floorplan was a nightmare, and it was already at the top of our budget, and I didn't want to do all the work myself. It's a shame, because it was on a really quiet street and had amazing light in the west-facing front room.

Jan 4, 2018
My mom's house (the one I grew up in) still has a little raised platform around the tub and is covered in brown carpet (the floor near the toilet and sink is tile). Even the fridge is still this really old yellow fridge with fake wood door handles from the 80s. I get that it's weird, but it's also kinda charming to me, though that's probably largely nostalgia on my part. I think the house itself was built in the 40s or maybe 50s so pretty much everything about it is old.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The kitchen has all the original appliances"

Better hope they had an reputable electrician check those over 3 times
An oven is extremely simple. It's just switches and heating elements (and a clock, but that's optional). The bigger concern would be any chips or blemishes in the porcelain paint, as those are a pain in the ass to fix perfectly.

The refrigerator is more complicated, but any refrigerator repairman (not specifically an electrician) would consider it simple. And actually, from what I've heard, refrigerator repairmen actually like older refrigerators, because the older ones were built like tanks, while the newer ones are built as cheaply as possible, after decades of manufacturers learning exactly how far corners can be cut before things collapse, making things with planned obsolescence that are designed to fail shortly after your 10-year warranty expires. Oil the motor, recharge the coolant, maybe replace the flexible magnetic seals around the fridge door, and that 70's fridge should be good to go for another 50 years.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, those are the ... original ... carpets?
... in the bathroom?
From 1975?

oh my god. The black mold under them, oh god.

RC.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I grew up in a house that was built in the late 70's. Every room had a different colour of carpert, with corresponding matching velvet curtains. Our kitchen was also green, complete with a green stove and fridge.
I really really miss that house sometimes.