• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
1920x1080_FamicomDetectiveClub_Promo.jpg

Release Information

Developer
: Mages Inc.
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Genre: Visual Novel
Language: English (subtitled with Japanese VO)
eShop Download Size: 2.0GB (The Missing Heir) / 1.9GB (The Girl Who Stands Behind)
Release Date: May 14, 2021
Price: $34.99 each, $10 discount on the second game after you buy one
(Only available as a bundle in Europe for £49.99 / 59,99€)

Overview

This murder mystery duology brings back two classic first party Nintendo games that never made their way outside of Japan. Originally released for the Famicom Disk System, these mythical games have been localized in English for the first time. Fully remade from the ground up, these remakes feature beautiful graphics, a completely redone soundtrack (with the option to switch to the original BGM), and full Japanese voice acting.

These games are essentially whodunnit stories presented in a sort of point and click adventure game. You take the role of a detective (named by you) tasked with the role of solving murders in the countryside of Japan. You are assisted by the lovely Ayumi Tachibana who is skilled in naginata combat. Unravel the mysteries at hand!

Screen_Shot_2021-05-14_at_2.48.10_AM.png

Media

Reception

Metacriic: 74
Opencritic: 76
My Heart: 100

Check out the Review Thread
here.

FAQ

Which game should I play first?

While The Missing Heir may have released first, The Girl Who Stands Behind is actually a prequel and takes place first. Truth be told, it really doesn't matter which one you play first, as they are designed to be played in any order. It is purely a matter of personal preference between release order or chronological order. That said, The Girl Who Stands Behind is a smoother gameplay experience and may be better served playing after the first.

I love Ace Attorney. Will I like these games?
Sure! In a lot of ways, these games inspired the sort of Japanese adventure games like Ace Attorney or Hotel Dusk that came afterwards. Please note however these are NES games at their core. Despite their flashy new presentation, they play just like they did in the 80s, which may be a source of frustration.

Why does the name Ayumi Tachibana sound familiar?
Fans of Super Smash Bros. may recognize Ayumi from the trophy section of Melee. For many of us, this was the first interaction we ever had with the FDC franchise!

I noticed the second game got a fan translation but not the first. Why is that?
Because of limitations of the Famicom Disk System, a fan translation was not feasible for the original games. However, this is actually the second remake of The Girl Who Stands Behind! The first was on the Super NES. Being on that system allowed for a fan translation to actually happen, and this version is where the series became known as a cult classic.

Is there a physical release?
As of this time, the only physical release available is the Japanese version. While the Switch is region free, this version does not include English text.

From the makers of Metroid, really?
Yes! Though they play nothing alike, both games were originally made by Nintendo R&D1, and these games were written by Metroid series producer Yoshio Sakamoto.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the slapdash OT! No one signed up for it so I figured I'd throw one together. Not much excitement for this release. 😥

Play these games y'all!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nice job with the OP.

I ended up playing The Missing Heir first. I named my protagonist "Hosuke Odoroki" (which is the original name of Apollo Justice. Yes, I am that nerd, lol).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
A lot of people on this site are going to skip these great games.

Almost done with the first one and loving it!

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I am considering getting a pair of vouchers to buy this game. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to spend the other voucher, as I don't like buying digital games, and I doubt I will get another Nintendo first-party game in digital format. Perhaps Neo:TWEWY, if it will be available for vouchers as the prequel. But at the moment it isn't available for pre-order on EShop, so it would be a risky decision.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Good job on the OT.

I hope everyone who enjoys Japanese adventure games and visual novels try these games, despite the age of them the stories really hold up.. At least the Girl Who Stands Behind which is the only one I've played so far.

The soundtrack of that SNES remake by Kenji Yamamoto was quite excellent too, lots of catchy tunes, lots of atmospheric dark tracks as well.. can't wait to hear the arrangements on this new one.

Last edited:

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm upset that the physical version of the Japanese release has been so hard to find. It was sold out in both of the stores I checked in Osaka. And the price was close to $100. I'm going to have to buy this digitally unfortunately.

Last edited:

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I am considering getting a pair of vouchers to buy this game. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to spend the other voucher, as I don't like buying digital games, and I doubt I will get another Nintendo first-party game in digital format. Perhaps Neo:TWEWY, if it will be available for vouchers as the prequel. But at the moment it isn't available for pre-order on EShop, so it would be a risky decision.
Voucher? Am I dumb?

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play both of these! Especially the first one, which I've only ever experienced through the Game Center CX episode way back.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've waited years to play these. This is one of the biggest releases of the year for me.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The NintendoEra discord has a channel dedicated to discussion on the game, if anyone wants to talk about it there!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT.

I'm still at the beginning so I can't comment much on the game/story yet. But, so far, it's interesting and makes me want to play more.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
About two hours into The Missing Heir. Really happy to finally play these. It's very clear this was made in the '80s as I've been stuck a few times, but never for very long. There's a surprisingly eerie undertone to this, curious to see where it goes. Loving the art style too and the subtle animations. MAGES was the perfect partner for this.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm pretty excited to play them. First time busting up the switch in awhile but I'm going to wait a few weeks until I'm on vacation. The presentation on these games is fantastic. I'm also really happy they kept the name Famicom Detective Club. Nintendo Detective Club would be cool too but something like this usually could get some weird branding to appeal to the west.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I'm really interested in picking these up, since I've heard of them as some mysterious and old Nintendo cult classics. I do love a good visual novel. But I don't think I'll have the money or time to really sink into it for a few months.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Sad the physical release doesn't includes english texts, I wanted a physical copy. Anyway, I'll start them today, really excited!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I only had time to play the opening of Missing Heir but I like the art so far. Theres some good animation work, and just generally has a bunch of style. I'm glad its finally possible to play both of these officially. Never did get round to the fan translation of the second.

IamAwake

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying the game so far but dang I wish they would have streamlined some of the conversation system.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Played two chapters of Missing Heir tonight. I love how great the presentation of this is, but how simultaneously "no frills" it is mechanically. It's so refreshing. It's not just the investigation phases of Ace Attorney, it's those but more detailed. You're really just doing the actual legwork of being a private detective.

Question: Are MC and Ayumi in high school or graduated or what?

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Started playing last night at misnigh for an hour or 2, played an hour more this morning before work, can't wait to get back and pick it up again.
Does anyone know how to save? Also, roughly, how long are these games?
You can save with the option "end investigation", choosing this option doesn't actually end your investigation, it gets you to a save screen, also the game has autosaves, but I don't know how often the games saves.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Started playing last night at misnigh for an hour or 2, played an hour more this morning before work, can't wait to get back and pick it up again.

You can save with the option "end investigation", choosing this option doesn't actually end your investigation, it gets you to a save screen, also the game has autosaves, but I don't know how often the games saves.

thank you!

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
Bought the bundle today, excited to play them soon.
I didn't know much about those games before they were first announced for western release but it would seem their stories are really good so I'm really looking forward to experience those.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to play these but am holding out for physical releases.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Stuck on chapter 2 talking to
Kanji
for the first time. I seem to have exhausted all dialog options but the story isn't progressing.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Just started, i only saw a few pics before so i knew nothing about it (always go blind in the game i'm interested in)

It's a really well done remake, every sprites is fully animted, it looks great

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Stuck on chapter 2 talking to
Kanji
for the first time. I seem to have exhausted all dialog options but the story isn't progressing.

If you use one of the other "look" or "grab"options and click on the name, it progresses. I find that sometimes works when I get stuck. - I think the philosophy is that you are observing their body language.

So far I'm really enjoying The missing Heir - the story really starts to get good at Chapter 3.

You definitely can feel the old fashioned game design. I feel like they could make some minor improvements to the UX and menu design.

For example - coming from Phoenix Wright, I know that you don't have to click a chat option twice unless the game tells you to by signifying it with a tick (or the removal of it). But in this game sometimes you do have to ask people the same question twice before they will spill the beans, and there's no visual signifier.

Have to say the graphics, story, voice acting and music are all fantastic.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, the EU release of Famicom Detective Club is only in English? I haven't had to buy a game on the japanese eShop for a long time. That's disappointing.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to play this game, but I can't justify a price of CHF 77.90 ($86.15) to myself. That's almost as high as the new prices for AAA PS5 games (CHF 79.90). I don't want to say that both Famicom Detective Club game aren't worth it for $60, but with the swiss eshop prices it is way to much.
I don't get it. Digital versions of Nintendo first party games are in the swiss eshop CHF 18.- to 23.- more expensive than the retail version. I can get Super Mario Odyssey for just CHF 54.80 ($60)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Just bought them (right after Snap, RIP wallet), but Switch is taking its sweet time to download :(

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought the Japanese collectors edition. It will arrive at my apartment tomorrow! Super excited!