• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Barcelona
Quite excited, although I'm not happy with the pricing (specially in Europe, where we don't have the option to purchase the games separately).
It would've been nice to have optional retro graphics and music, or at least an art direction and character design with a retro flair. Just imagine playing a game that looked like an OVA from 1989.
c035483c21f40954de6bd46b2d3a5f836d644aae.png

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quite excited, although I'm not happy with the pricing (specially in Europe, where we don't have the option to purchase the games separately).
It would've been nice to have optional retro graphics and music, or at least an art direction and character design with a retro flair. Just imagine playing a game that looked like an OVA from 1989.
c035483c21f40954de6bd46b2d3a5f836d644aae.png

I believe being able to swap to classic music is confirmed, actually.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what the usual pound pricing is, but the individual games are $35 each in the US and 60€ bundled together in Europe. So, given the usual €=$ conversion we are actually saving 10€ in this case. I think the target audience for this kind of games is so small (and dedicated) that 35€ for one game or 60€ for two games isn't going to make much of a difference in sales.

I'd say that being able to buy 1 slightly cheaper would definitely make it a more interesting option to passersby if nothing else. Not to say that the 2 pack shouldn't exist, but the fact that one store doesn't seem to have the option to buy them separately when others do is a bit weird.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I've been desperate for any localisation news on this so I guess now it's time to put my money where my mouth is...
but it is quite a lot of money...

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If the two games combined is 12 hours or longer, that's enough for me if they're fun. Your average Ace Attorney game is only about 15-20 hours long and honestly I feel like they all go on a little too long.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks really good. Will be a great summer for adventure fans with this, Great Ace Attorney and World's End Club coming out.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Is it easy to make a US account?
*EDIT* I can get it in the UK!!! day one! Did I misshear that it was US only?!

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
Is it confirmed that only Japan has a physical release and that that release only has Japanese and Chinese text?

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
If the two games combined is 12 hours or longer, that's enough for me if they're fun. Your average Ace Attorney game is only about 15-20 hours long and honestly I feel like they all go on a little too long.
There are some individual Ace Attorney cases that length. I'm not sure how people get through an AA game that quickly unless they're skipping most dialogue by not pressing every statement and investigating everything etc.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it confirmed that only Japan has a physical release and that that release only has Japanese and Chinese text?
European eshop says the text is only English and the Japanese eshop only says Japanese and Chinese.
So it really seems that the physical release sadly won't have English text...

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There are some individual Ace Attorney cases that length. I'm not sure how people get through an AA game that quickly unless they're skipping most dialogue by not pressing every statement and investigating everything etc.

Here are the HowLongToBeat averages for the 6 games:
Ace Attorney - 17.5 hours
Justice for All - 18 hours
Trials & Tribulations - 20.5 hours
Apollo Justice - 20 hours
Dual Destinies - 26.5 hours
Spirit of Justice - 34.5 hours

The newer ones are longer, but the average for the old ones are all about 20 hours or a little less. They are text-heavy games so the faster you read, the faster you can go through them.

In any case, the Famicom Detective Club games are remakes so they could have more content than the original games.

Oct 31, 2017
The Detective Club remake will hopefully be part of this direct as I want it!

As expected! :D

i really thought these aren't gonna get localized. i'm so happy ;_;

And, as I told you back then, there's no reason for those games to not be localized! :P

If Nintendo can localize games like Disaster or Another Code R, I see no reason why they wouldn't work on this.

The only cons here are the games being English-only (too much text so it would have been too expensive I guess) and eShop-only.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Crossing my fingers Limited Run (or a similar company) will manage to strike a deal with Nintendo for a physical release.

Oct 31, 2017

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even noticed that they have cast Yuko Minaguchi as Ayumi again. She voiced the character in BS Tantei Club so its pretty awesome that they brought her back to the role after so many years.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
As expected! :D

And, as I told you back then, there's no reason for those games to not be localized! :P

If Nintendo can localize games like Disaster or Another Code R, I see no reason why they wouldn't work on this.

The only cons here are the games being English-only (too much text so it would have been too expensive I guess) and eShop-only.
ace attorney was multi 5 and it had probably as much text

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
Play Asia seemingly has physical copies for Europe and US listed? I don't intend to buy from them but that's a good sign.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think it took me 4-5 hours to finish the second game (girl who stands behind) on SNES, and I think I got stuck once or twice. Seems like this rerelease will probably take people longer on average if you let all the voice acting play out.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
For those interested in the history of Japanese Adventure Games and the history of the genre distinctions being discussed in this thread, I recommend reading this informative GiantBomb blog post.

That was a great read. Thanks for linking!

Also...wow, read through it, was impressed enough to check out the profile of the author, and it turns out that's the same person who made this awesome video on Nihon Falcom:

Damn, Bowl of Lentils does good work.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even noticed that they have cast Yuko Minaguchi as Ayumi again. She voiced the character in BS Tantei Club so its pretty awesome that they brought her back to the role after so many years.
Nintendo's Japanese casting has been pretty great like that. They also cast Hikaru Midorikawa as Marth in Melee (and later Fire Emblem games) after he originally voiced the character in a mid-90s anime OVA. Navarre got the same treatment in Warriors, TMS, and Heroes, and Takehito Koyasu had last voiced Navarre in that same OVA!

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's Japanese casting has been pretty great like that. They also cast Hikaru Midorikawa as Marth in Melee (and later Fire Emblem games) after he originally voiced the character in a mid-90s anime OVA. Navarre got the same treatment in Warriors, TMS, and Heroes, and Takehito Koyasu had last voiced Navarre in that same OVA!
Perhaps most notable is Elice having the same performer in Heroes about 25 years after being in the OVA.

I'm really pleased by this news, I preordered The Missing Heir right after the Direct aired. Famitan is such a wonderful series, I had some real nostalgia seeing all those characters reinterpreted so many years later.

EchosMyron

Jun 29, 2018
Started playing the SNES version of The Girl Who Stands Behind and i'm really enjoying it despite the fact that the game hasn't let me pick a single character's nose yet. I love the look of these old sprites. Would be cool to be able to switch between styles in the new one like the LucasArts remasters but Im not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Last edited:

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Easily announcement of the direct for me, but I'm SO disappointed that NA isn't getting a physical version (and the Japanese version doesn't include English so I could just import that). :(

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it doesn't have English, I'm still getting the collector's edition. Too many good things in that to pass up! If it's not updated with English when I get it, then I'll just double dip and grab the English versions on the eShop.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crossing my fingers Limited Run (or a similar company) will manage to strike a deal with Nintendo for a physical release.

As an ascended Starmen.net, where the fan translation of FDC2 was born, it'd be kind of amazing if Fangamer managed to get into some Detective Club stuff. They've distributed a few games at least.

Even if it doesn't have English, I'm still getting the collector's edition. Too many good things in that to pass up! If it's not updated with English when I get it, then I'll just double dip and grab the English versions on the eShop.

Yeah, kind of feeling this will be the path I take.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly! I love when developers have this kind of consistency with their VAs. It's pretty awesome imo.

Speaking of Smash Sakurai himself is someone who seems to care about that kind of thing. There's a video of him playing SotN with Yuichi Nakamura and Mafia Kajita where Sakurai was complaining a bit about the fact that Alucard had been recast in the Netflix series even though his original VA Okiayu was there as Trevor lol.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Huh? Why would you want that here so that you can pay more for these games with them? They're way cheaper without the vouchers.
Huh? Why would you want that here so that you can pay more for these games with them? They're way cheaper without the vouchers.

Aren't the vouchers working differently for these and letting you get both for one? I used to get those for $80 instead of 100, so if that was the case could've gotten both for $40 instead of $60 (with the current -10 discount for buying both).