• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Japan get collectors edition
top_bottom_frame_product.png

I...need this.

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
That collectors edition looks amazing, I want it. Maybe there will be a limited release in the states, hopefully.

Oct 27, 2017
This was a bombshell for me. I can't wait to play but am definitely holding out for that collector's edition to come out in English (please).

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested but Im afraid it's too anime. Is it too tropey, or is it just the artstyle?

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Really happy this was announced. I was actually sorta expecting Buddy Mission BOND to be announced, but I'll take this for sure.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I was really (pleasantly) surprised by the game's animation since I'd only seen the screens from the japanese announcement, I was expecting a more static title.

Funny how I went from complete indifference to "this might be my game of the direct"

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
So glad to see these are getting localized and were also shown off in the Direct. Hoping that BOND has a chance to be localized as well.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
$35 each was a bit more then I was expecting, I'll probably only get Lost Heir at launch since it's the game without any English fan translation available for it's original title.

Edit: Just saw $10 discount if you buy the second. $60 for both feels more reasonable.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Absolute Megaton. These were the games that basically created the visual novel genre.

Though it's yet another game that will be officially localized before Mother 3.

Whoh there tiger, Portopia came out in 1983. This was significantly later. It's an important historical title to be sure, but let's not overstate things.

My real hope is that with global releases of these titles, Sakurai can finally realize his dreams of including Ayumi in Smash Bros., as he intended back in Melee.

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, from the American website
While the graphics, music, and sound effects have been recreated, players can choose the original 8-bit soundtrack.
Famicom Tantei Club 2 was the first game from Sakamoto with the music composed by Kenji Yamamoto of Metroid fame. I'm very happy to see his original work preserved!

Oct 27, 2017
Whoh there tiger, Portopia came out in 1983. This was significantly later. It's an important historical title to be sure, but let's not overstate things.

My real hope is that with global releases of these titles, Sakurai can finally realize his dreams of including Ayumi in Smash Bros., as he intended back in Melee.
AFAIK the Famicom Tanteis were among the first games to take the Portopia model to tell more complex stories with multifaceted characters. Not the origin of the Japanese adventure genre, but a milestone nonetheless.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
AFAIK the Famicom Tanteis were among the first games to take the Portopia model to tell more complex stories with multifaceted characters. Not the origin of the Japanese adventure genre, but a milestone nonetheless.
They're definitely heavyweights. Hokkaido Chain Murders (also a Yuji Horii joint) was 1984, Imitation City from Jiro Ishii (who you might know from the more recent 428: Shibuya Scramble) was '87. Snatcher was '88 like Famicom Tantei Club too, though later in the year. Obviously this excludes a lot of eroge games which were fairly shallow but were still aiding the genre's stylistic evolution. I don't mean to diminish them as important games, but I think it's important to make sure we understand the timeline of production properly!

I also think it's worth distinguishing that these games were pioneering in the genre of Japanese adventure games, but not visual novels. In Japan the delineation between these two styles of game is much more robust than we tend to use in the West. Games translator Tom James is out there on Twitter right now:

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I never pre order anything but I did both of these. I have been fascinated with these games since seeing the trophy in Smash Bros Melee and I can't believe they're actually translating them!

hutna

Oct 25, 2017
I hope these do well enough to convince FlyHigh works to localize their detective games as well.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in these for sure. I've just heard about them for so long, I'd like to give them a try.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Are these going to have more fleshed out gameplay than the average Famicom adventure game, which tend to literally just involve looking at and talking to everything and everyone until the plot arbitrarily moves forward?

I don't mind if they are adventure games at all, but it would be nice if there was some actual logic behind them, unlike most Portopia clones.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

Here's the Chrontendo episode for the Famicom original (I don't think there are any spoilers, just some nice context).

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
As I see other 80s detective games (these games are NOT visual novels!) mentioned in the thread I would recommend everyone with an interest in the genre to check out the Jinguji Saburu series which also originated in the Famicom Disk System. The original stories were remade for the DS and released as Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past (ignore the original DS release as it's missing half the stories).

I honestly think a lot of people slept on that game and it's a real shame as it has oozes of personality and captures that 80s Japanese pulp/noir fiction perfectly. Check it out!

There's also a sequel that was released in the West for the 3DS (Ghost of the Dusk, personally not as good as the DS stories but still solid) and a Switch "reimagining" of Jake Hunter's origins (which I've not played yet).

EchosMyron

Jun 29, 2018
Had basically lost all hope after Miyamoto said this in 2019 during a shareholders Q&A:

Q7:
Thirty years have passed since Famicom Tantei Club (Famicom Detective Club; direct translation of the Japanese title) was released in Japan for the Family Computer Disk System, and its excellent production and script still resonate with people today. I would like Nintendo to be constantly creating long-form games like this. Is the current Nintendo still capable of creating games in this sort of "adventure game" genre? Please tell us about the development framework for each game genre, and about your communication with international developers.

A7 :
Miyamoto: Thank you for such an encouraging question. We, too, want to create titles we can still be proud of after 10 years. We're sometimes accused of working only within established series, but many of those series have been going for 30 years and are now part of our brand. We also want to create new titles that will become the first of a new series, and we are always working hard toward that. As for adventure games, I've made a lot of them, starting back with Famicom Mukashibanashi: Shin Onigashima (Famicom Tales: New Demon Island; direct translation of the Japanese title), but the environment for production is more demanding these days. Games today are localized in 10 or more languages, so the cost of localizing the voicing and script for an adventure game (which generally has a great deal of text) is enormous. Plus, compared to an older gamer like me, I feel that younger gamers tend to have less of an interest in that genre. That said, adventure game mechanics are still fun, and Capcom's Ace Attorney series and Level-5's Professor Layton series make good use of them. So, I don't give up hope yet, but please understand that it's challenging to actively make them for the mainstream market. Our collaboration outside of Japan is 30 years strong, and we have staff who specialize in communicating with developers in other countries. I too often work with companies in other countries. The new Luigi's Mansion 3 was also developed with a company outside of Japan (Next Level Games Inc.). Over the years, we have built a global software development framework. I have felt Nintendo becoming more global in recent years. The number of people from outside of Japan working at Nintendo's headquarters has increased considerably, and we get to know each other over lunch and so on.

It's awesome that this is actually happening. Can't wait to play these classics.

Oct 27, 2017
They're definitely heavyweights. Hokkaido Chain Murders (also a Yuji Horii joint) was 1984, Imitation City from Jiro Ishii (who you might know from the more recent 428: Shibuya Scramble) was '87. Snatcher was '88 like Famicom Tantei Club too, though later in the year. Obviously this excludes a lot of eroge games which were fairly shallow but were still aiding the genre's stylistic evolution. I don't mean to diminish them as important games, but I think it's important to make sure we understand the timeline of production properly!
I'm not familiar with Imitation City, but I believe both Snatcher and Famicom Tantei (and the Nintendo adventure games developed by EAD) were part of a "second wave" of Japanese adventure games - that is, games that took the Portopia / Hokkaido template and tried to do something more with it, either by introducing paranormal elements or changing the setting to a cyberpunk world.

By the way, do you have some articles on the history of Japanese adventure games? I gathered everything I know reading some translated interviews here and there (this one is great for FamiTant) and from some forum posts.

I also think it's worth distinguishing that these games were pioneering in the genre of Japanese adventure games, but not visual novels. In Japan, the delineation between these two styles of game is much more robust than we tend to use in the West. Games translator Tom James is out there on Twitter right now:

Speaking of other Japanese genres often related to adventure games and Sakamoto's older games, the translation of Tokimeki High School is slowly but promising getting closer to completation.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This got an audible ooh out of me. Hoping for a physical NA release. Smh at people calling these VNs though.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

I also think it's worth distinguishing that these games were pioneering in the genre of Japanese adventure games, but not visual novels. In Japan the delineation between these two styles of game is much more robust than we tend to use in the West. Games translator Tom James is out there on Twitter right now:

Can you elaborate on this?

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I was only aware of the remake of the second game on the Satelllaview.

The remake was for a completely different service, Nintendo Power, which was a download cartridge you took to kiosks rather than downloaded via satellite connection.

The SNES was a completely different beast in Japan, huh?

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible this is only getting localized because of Covid and Nintendo needed games to publish? Surprised it wasn't announced when it first got revealed.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Really cool to see this getting localized! I wish it was more than just English, but given Miyamoto's recent comments, it wasn't every likely. A future remake of BS Tantei Saga could still happen depending on sales and fan interest, much like BS Archanean Saga getting remade for the second DS Fire Emblem game.

Can you elaborate on this?
Essentially, visual novels are themselves an evolution of much older command-based Japanese adventure games based on PC-original games from the early-1980s like Portopia/Okhotsk, Enix/Square-published adventures like JESUS and The Death Trap, as well as procedural detective adventure series like J.B. Harold and Jake Hunter. Famicom Detective Club owes a lot to Japanese PC adventures of that vintage, albeit streamlined and expanded for console play. These SFW games co-existed and developed alongside erotic adventures which, over time, shed their mechanical trappings until very little game-y bits were left. This also ties in with Tokimeki Memorial revolutionizing the dating sim, once a PC-bound curiosity, and introducing stat-heavy systems to these genres.

So many of these kinds of games get called Ace Attorney-likes or visual novels primarily because of a lack of historic reference/perspective on these genres in the West. That will improve over time, but it helps to make these distinctions now too.

I'm not familiar with Imitation City, but I believe both Snatcher and Famicom Tantei (and the Nintendo adventure games developed by EAD) were part of a "second wave" of Japanese adventure games - that is, games that took the Portopia / Hokkaido template and tried to do something more with it, either by introducing paranormal elements or changing the setting to a cyberpunk world.
Imitation City was basically Snatcher before Snatcher, albeit lacking in production values since Data West had way less resources to provide than Konami. This kind of experimentation beyond detective procedurals existed on the PC-88 and competing Japanese PCs as early as 1984, I'd argue, with anthology adventures like Enix's Again (produced by the writer behind the GD-Leen light novels), The Death Trap doing pulp military-setting action, and both Zarth and Micro Cabin's Eiyuu Densetsu Saga using scanned-in anime artwork for the first time.

Last edited:

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
The remake was for a completely different service, Nintendo Power, which was a download cartridge you took to kiosks rather than downloaded via satellite connection.

Oh, I remember reading about that service before. I didn't know the remake was offered through it rather than the Satellaview, though.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Lot's of people gushing about this game and some are saying it's an adventure game and not a visual novel which intrigues me. Guess I'll be giving the first game a try when it releases.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Lot's of people gushing about this game and some are saying it's an adventure game and not a visual novel which intrigues me. Guess I'll be giving the first game a try when it releases.
It's not a point-and-click adventure like that era of Sierra/LucasArts game, let alone the few Japanese titles doing something like that, but expect plenty of menu interactions, managing inventory and evidence, etc. This plays more in line with procedural detective/mystery games than just advancing text or something more gimmicky.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a point-and-click adventure like that era of Sierra/LucasArts game, let alone the few Japanese titles doing something like that, but expect plenty of menu interactions, managing inventory and evidence, etc. This plays more in line with procedural detective/mystery games than just advancing text or something more gimmicky.
It's basically proto-Ace Attorney, minus the courtroom segments
Sounds awesome because I'm currently on an adventure/exploration/puzzle game mood lately (currently playing Call of the Sea) after playing Outer Wilds and Return of the Obra Dinn and this game seems to be scratching that itch. I can't wait to try this game out.

EchosMyron

Jun 29, 2018
For those interested in the history of Japanese Adventure Games and the history of the genre distinctions being discussed in this thread, I recommend reading this informative GiantBomb blog post. It's is a good overview of the genre and the splintering of the VN subgenre. It also cites this Yuji Hori & Rika Suzuki (RIP CiNG)i interview which is another interesting read in its own right. It talks about how they were introduced to adventure games (all roads lead to Roberta Williams) and they muse about the future of adventures from their 1987 perspective.

Some things never change, heh:
—But one issue with adventure games is that if you hit a wall or get stuck, it's very difficult to advance in the game.
Suzuki: Yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to make those walls so high that players can't see the other side at all. There's no need for obstacles like that, right? I think the ideal difficulty is one where you overcome the challenge by your third try, and then the next wall you face is a little higher, giving you another challenge.

—Speaking of that, Horii, you adopted a command system in your games to avoid the annoyance of having to find the right words to input.
Horii: I've played a lot of adventure games myself, but the truth is, I never cleared a single one. (laughs) There'd be some item in the game right in front of me, and I'd try to pick it up, but the the computer would respond with "I don't understand that" or "Why don't you try something else?" I'd just end up frustrated, "what the hell!?"

That was my #1 problem with text-entry based games, and why I adopted the command based system of Hokkaidou Rensa Satsujin: Okhotsk ni Kiyu. But I had my worries about the command system too: I realized if a player just went through and selected every command option, he'd eventually solve any puzzle in the game just by brute force. If things are too easy to solve, a player won't get emotionally involved with the game.

Suzuki: That's true. It's very important for adventure games that the player experience that moment of relief after solving a puzzle. I think if they can feel that satisfaction, they won't feel like all the time they spent was a waste.

Of course the Japanese style of adventure games has its own distinct style compared to their western counterparts (tend to be in 1st person, generally easier puzzles, more dialogue), much like with rpg's and other genres. Although there's far more overlap than difference and over time they've become increasingly similar to one another, I feel. As the Japanese stuff has fleshed out the puzzling and the Western stuff leaned heavier into narrative.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
This got an audible ooh out of me. Hoping for a physical NA release. Smh at people calling these VNs though.

I mean, it's all the same for the general public. I'm a big VN and ADV fan, I certainly know the difference between them, but in the West, I don't see the issue in calling these games visual novels.