• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Choose

• Holy Diver

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Moon Crystal

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The NES had a lot of games that were left in Japan. Holy Diver and Moon Crystal are two action platformers that were initially supposed to get Western releases but didn't. If you had to choose one of these to be localized back in the day, which would you pick?

I'm a fan of both but I would pick Moon Crystal. Holy Diver's Castlevania vibe is cool but just I love Moon Crystal's smooth animation and controls more.

Holy Diver
holydiver-b.gif
holydiver.png

Moon Crystal
Moon-Crystal.png
moon2.png

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know either of those games so I voted for Holy Diver because of Dio 👀

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Holy Diver is impossibly hard but has an awesome soundtrack.

I'd have to go with Moon Crystal if you actually wanted to enjoy the game

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Holy Diver a lot. It's a little rough in terms of polish (maybe moreso than I'd expect for a 1989 Famicom game), and it's hardly perfectly-tuned, but I love some of those stages and boss fights and the theme all around. I remember leaving the Famicom on for a couple days to beat it, lol. You have to do some truly ridiculous things in that game.

I haven't played through Moon Crystal yet but I'd like to.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You should look up the story to Holy Diver, based on why you voted for it you'll get a kick out of it
lmao holy shit it's literally based on Dio 🤘

And yet... why is this familiar? Now that I think about it, I've heard about this before but just kinda forgot haha. Cool. :D

🎵 Holy Diverrrrrrrr, yeahhhhhhh~ 🎶

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be great if these games could be re-released on Switch Online or elsewhere. I don't know who would own the rights to Moon Crystal today, though. The company behind it (Hect/Hector) has been dead for over 20 years.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Probably Moon Crystal. The level design is nothing special but it's such a visually charming game with really impressive animations for the system. It's a memorable little game you can easily play through in an afternoon.

Oct 27, 2017
Moon Crystal because of the animation
Moon Crystal seems like a much better game. Holy Diver is brutal.
Probably Moon Crystal. The level design is nothing special but it's such a visually charming game with really impressive animations for the system. It's a memorable little game you can easily play through in an afternoon.

☝️These people
👇Are this guy
2a9wxd.jpg

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
i mean 20 years later i still remember the animation and sprite work in Moon Crystal! Holy Diver i know for the memes and hardness (feel like if it was easier it would have been a very good B+ game tho)

edit: but Little Samson > Moon Crystal tho