• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is in Newsweek right now, it's getting mainstream attention (as much as anything can in the constant noise of modern media), that's why I posted it in the first place. I saw some articles talking about it, saw the tweets, went in and copied them direct from the source. He does have a platform and he's using his platform to espouse hateful shit and people should know.

I'm sorry that there's a lot of threads on here that are about people doing bad shit and that makes you tired, I get it, the real world sucks and it sucks having to hear about this shit seemingly all the time. Imagine how trans people feel when these "tiring things" are just an echo chamber so constant in their lives that many cannot go anywhere online or off without at least encountering something resembling it in some fashion.
Ok, I'm not going to push the subject any longer. Agree to disagree I just personally don't think hateful people need a continuous voice. If we knew he was like this awhile ago.. I'm sorry I just don't get it! If we're about solutions, the smart thing for me would be to silence his voice as much as possible. I listen to gaming podcasts and do my rounds and have never heard of him. Now I know the creator of Minecraft is a washed up transphobe, thanks for the real life perspective.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing Transphobia; Account in Junior Phase
What's with the "phobia" BS? I get the dude doesn't agree with others perspective or whatever but just because you apply that to words doesn't mean that it's actually a phobia.

I doubt that if this dude would see a trans he'd run to the other side of the street in fear or something.

Always hated that term and it always makes people who use it for everything more of a simpleton than someone with an actually has valid personal stance on something.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What reason would i have for lying about not knowing this guy? Everytime i log on there's an article about someone or something irredeemable being boosted up on this website. I'm just a little tired of it. So he made Minecraft 10 years ago and now he's irrelevant except for twitter and a thread on Resetera. That's all I'm saying.

I'm just wondering what his current influence is now to be an active transphobe and still getting views.
you're tired of having to read a thread title, click on it, and post? 2 of those 3 are very solvable... by you.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the "phobia" BS? I get the dude doesn't agree with others perspective or whatever but just because you apply that to words doesn't mean that it's actually a phobia.

I doubt that if this dude would see a trans he'd run to the other side of the street in fear or something.

Always hated that term and it always makes people who use it for everything more of a simpleton than someone with an actually has valid personal stance on something.

I'm curious, what are your thoughts on the word "homophobia" or being "homophobic" ?

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State

"A trans"

Not shocked that someone who doesn't know respectful terminology sucks at vocabulary in general

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

That's the real issue here. Terminology. Not the irrational hatred of other human beings.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Egad

Oct 25, 2017
(Condemnation of bad person) is the exact same as ( bad thing that bad person is doing), always!

Wishing someone dies because you don't like their ramblings on Twitter is pathetic. Just because someone says something you disagree doesn't warrant that type of response.

Well, he is not the bloated, hateful fuck spouting bigoted rhetoric from his mansion.

So yes?

No. It's crazy talk and it concerning that some of you agree with this. There are plenty of people that I dislike because of things they say or how they behave, but I reserve the death wishes for true monsters that actually commit crimes. Seems you welcome thought policing as long as it is something you disagree with. You might want to consider how that could go if applied the other way. And I'm not defending this guy because he seems to be a POS, but this is crossing the line. I'm it was allowed here some of you would be outright calling for him to be murdered. I've seen it before. So progressive and tolerant unless it is an opposing view.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019

My dad says he's not homophobic, just that he never wants me to bring a man around and that he prefer I keep my relationship "private."

seems kinda like a phobia to me but as he says, "that's just my opinion"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No. It's crazy talk and it concerning that some of you agree with this. There are plenty of people that I dislike because of things they say or how they behave, but I reserve the death wishes for true monsters that actually commit crimes. Seems you welcome thought policing as long as it is something you disagree with. You might want to consider how that could go if applied the other way. And I'm not defending this guy because he seems to be a POS, but this is crossing the line. I'm it was allowed here some of you would be outright calling for him to be murdered. I've seen it before. So progressive and tolerant unless it is an opposing view.
I don't think calling for physical injury or death is warranted, but you really ought to read this, dude.

Paradox of Tolerance

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

THAT is your problem here?

And no, Sherlock, it's not about ~not agreeing with others perspective~. It's hatred. Trying to minimize by pretending it's just opinions man is gross.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I assure you, transphobic is the correct term for those insisting that people who are trans shouldn't be allowed to live freely post-transition in society. Yes, that's precisely the argument that Notch is making here; That these people don't know what's "good" for themselves, so "correct" sex and gender assignments should be forced upon them. He (and others) find it disruptive and alarming that people even wish to be referred to by their own gender in their own conversations.The free expression of this idea in speech is unacceptable to them.

You have a simplistic take on the "fear" root in the word.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018

The term "phobia" implies an irrational fear. That conveys weakness and ineptitude, whereas "anti-trans" or "anti-homosexual" sounds like someone strongly disagrees with something. That said, "anti" also has a negative connotation, hence the reason why people say they're "pro-life" instead of "anti-abortion" or "pro-gun control" instead of "anti-guns."

It all boils down to semantics used to disparage opposing viewpoints while making your own sound more appealing.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think calling for physical injury or death is warranted, but you really ought to read this, dude.

Paradox of Tolerance

I think you misunderstand me. Condemning behavior is fine and justified. Boycott them ,ruin their careers, whatever. I just don't agree with wishing bodily harm on someone for something they said or thought. Now once you actually commit a heinous act or crime I'm probably on the extreme side of believing in harsh punishments. Any way I've said my piece. I just strongly disagreed with one comment in this thread. No need to continue this.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

To shut down this potentially problematic line of semantics here and now, while we colloquially use the word phobia to denote an irrational fear, the larger definition of the word includes extreme, exaggerated, or outsized irrational reactions to anything.

Thus transphobia, homophobia, Islamophobia, etc.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think you misunderstand me. Condemning behavior is fine and justified. Boycott them ,ruin their careers, whatever. I just don't agree with wishing bodily harm on someone for something they said or thought. Now once you actually commit a heinous act or crime I'm probably on the extreme side of believing in harsh punishments. Any way I've said my piece. I just strongly disagreed with one comment in this thread. No need to continue this.
Might be for the best, but yeah.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Just to clarify, the person was talking about cumulative effects of self-inflicted drug use, not any sort of external threat/directed harm. When a celebrity's whole presence has unrepentant, malignant effects on the culture around them (ie, arguing against vaccination or for bigotry), the idea of someone being hoist with their own petard is different from threats "because you disagree" with someone. The drug use is brought up partly because so much of Notch's social media presence comes across as irrational ramblings.

Also, yes, this should be dropped (short of someone making actual threats).

Last edited:

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine having enough money to literally go anywhere and do anything, but instead you spend the rest of your life on twitter being a complete piece of fuck.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I'm not a billionaire using a massive platform to spread bigotry to millions of people, including children that love his game.

amen

Wishing someone dies because you don't like their ramblings on Twitter is pathetic. Just because someone says something you disagree doesn't warrant that type of response.

nah, pathetic is treating transphobia as merely "something you disagree with", as if dude simply said silent hill 3 was the best one

Last edited:

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Notch continues to be the very definition of "sad, strange little man."

I almost feel bad for him because he clearly has some mental problems. But on the other hand: Fuck that piece of shit bigot.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Notch woke up one day and decided that he was going to have the worst viewpoints on literally every topic.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I just randomly remembered the time that someone tried to get Notch to say "nazis are bad" and he couldn't say it without also including communists.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
notch used to be cool

like 8 years ago

then he started living alone in his mega mansion and I guess the madness just got to him

What do they call that? Fever Cabin? Being alone? Yeah.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Notch must be miserable. All the money he could want and he spends his time picking fights on Twitter.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
The sad irony is that Minecraft has been in a lot of cases an incredible social and psychological outlet for people who struggle in more mainstream social environments... people on the spectrum, LGBTQ people, disabled people.

Then he uses his platform and reach to spout this sort of trash. Sad.

Also ironic is that businesses who once sold to Microsoft were historically seen as selling out their product to an evil corporation. In this case, Minecraft was rescued.

Oct 25, 2017
you forgot the best part.... how it all started because "i feel bad and people don't understand" to "fuck you trans people" in like 5 tweets

Why would someone care and be so hung up on what another stranger's gender is? How and why does he have room and time to care about something like this when he could be literally doing anything with his millions?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Reminds me of my dad. Opinions so damn strong on a subject he has absolutely no personal or professional experience in, but his opinion is right and the experts and people who live through this shit are all wrong.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Love when threads like this happen and people come out of the woodwork to show our trans community that they think invalidating/gaslighting/denying them is "just a difference of opinion" and not something that is literally life threatening in a lot of cases.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Lol. Imagine being this fucking dumb.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017

Guys look at me, I am very smart.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I haven't either. I'm sure most people haven't, beyond maybe trying it for 5 minutes, even people who play videogames.
It has a pretty specific audience, don't you think?

I think it has an incredibly general audience! But it isn't expected that everybody plays or experiences everything of course. It's like being surprised that someone hasn't seen Titanic because it feels like everyone has.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
Has Notch ever said anything of value, like ever? Fuck him for spreading hateful view because he's miserable so everyone must suffer

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
This Qanon loving loser lives in internet alt-right circles.

Look at his Twitter as a live feed of brain rot and it all makes sense. He's literally so secluded he believes in Pizzagate. This dude can buy a fucking documentary team to "look into the truth" but he sits his lonely ass on Twitter.

He has no reason to be someone of wealth, who grew up in an information age, and be this fucking dumb. He stands out against the sea of these usual shitheads, who are more likely to be Boomers or Boomers in youthful skin.