• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've not played New Vegas and Fallout 4 I've only played on Xbox One. How does NV hold up?
New Vegas is a different experience from Fallout 4. It's a deep RPG at its core with actual choices and consequences, no voice acting, no building and all that modern games bullshit. People still praise New Vegas as one of the best RPGs of all time. That said, it hasn't aged that well at all. There are numerous bugs that have never been fixed by Obsidian/Bethesda, some of them can be game breaking. PC is the best way to enjoy it, but you need to do some modding to fix most of the issues. There's a bunch of mods and plugins that you need to install before playing, most of them are covered in The Frontier installation guide.

LMAO wait was this what downed Nexus a day ago? Amazing.
Yeah, and Nexus is still slowing sometimes after the launch. Also, Frontier launch boosted Steam's ccu to 11k last night, the highest number since 2015. I think most people are still waiting for the Steam release since it's much more easier to install.

Oct 25, 2017
The most impressive thing is just how expansive it is. The exact opposite of New California where most of the buildings were empty and there was little to find off the beaten path.
As an aside there is a mod for New California that adds more content

Time to put on my nerd glasses and push them up dramatically(?):

The Legion in Portland? The logistics on that don't really work. They probably would never make it that far without collapsing, and if they did they certainly wouldn't still be having problems with the NCR, at that point.

(It rates at like a 1 out of 10 on the Bethesda Scale of Lore Inconsistencies, though, I'm just nitpicking.)
The Legion has been able to expand by defeating and absorbing the wasteland raiders and tribes they encounter through superior tactics and equipment.
They can feasably show up in force in any place that has enough tribesmen they can absorb to shore up their numbers.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Wow, I will download this today. I'm actually playing fallout new vegas on pc right now so this is perfect timing.
Edit: oh its not available yet.

Last edited:

Gumbie

Oct 28, 2017
So downloading the Steam version that's coming later has all the required stuff packaged in with it so it's one install and done? After downloading the base game +DLC.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
You all are killing me with the hype...but I'm in the middle of a Fallout 4 playthrough now. Really looking forward to picking up New Vegas again with this mod on. Looks like it really hits the hype!

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Any way to bring some of the settings down? I think I'm gonna take a break from
this until it's optimized better if I can't get it to run well.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

This did get me slightly better performance. Thanks! It's still about 30ish FPS in combat but generally sits around 50-55 outside which is acceptable.

What's causing such a severe drop in performance? I'm coming hot off a vanilla play through and had no issues getting over 100FPS most of the time.

Also, another issues I'm having now is I can't alt-tab without the game crashing. Been trying to figure out what's causing it all day and I think it's just the frontier mod itself.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This did get me slightly better performance. Thanks! It's still about 30ish FPS in combat but generally sits around 50-55 outside which is acceptable.

What's causing such a severe drop in performance? I'm coming hot off a vanilla play through and had no issues getting over 100FPS most of the time.

Also, another issues I'm having now is I can't alt-tab without the game crashing. Been trying to figure out what's causing it all day and I think it's just the frontier mod itself.

Have you tried running the game in windowed mode with a program that forces it to go borderless full screen? These old gamebryo games hate alt-tabbing.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Have you tried running the game in windowed mode with a program that forces it to go borderless full screen? These old gamebryo games hate alt-tabbing.

No but I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 other issues I'm having; when in third person and strafing left, there's a weird animation glitch where the left shoulder becomes dislocated from my body.

Also now the folk station is not playing music and I need to hear shady grove again :(

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed the Steam version worked like Steam Endereal, where you only have to have the base game in your account, not necessarily even have it installed.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
More Skyrim reference.

DFF310CC195D0D9E62B19EDA7F8326D2C5E615C7

Any other good mods to add to this before the Steam version comes out?
I assumed the Steam version worked like Steam Endereal, where you only have to have the base game in your account, not necessarily even have it installed.
Yeah, Steam version is kind of different from Nexus as it won't be dependent on New Vegas installation. Any modding attempt should wait until it's released and installed.

Any way to bring some of the settings down? I think I'm gonna take a break from
this until it's optimized better if I can't get it to run well.
I honestly never pay attention to fps so far, but I don't notice any dreadful performance.

How many mods have you installed alongside Frontier? There might be some conflicts.

Last edited:

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
No but I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 other issues I'm having; when in third person and strafing left, there's a weird animation glitch where the left shoulder becomes dislocated from my body.

Also now the folk station is not playing music and I need to hear shady grove again :(
If you have an ENB turn it off with Shift F12 this mod does not like running with one on.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
More Skyrim reference.

Yeah, Steam version is kind of different from Nexus as it won't be dependent on New Vegas installation. Any modding attempt should wait until it's released and installed.

I honestly never pay attention to fps so far, but I don't notice any dreadful performance.

How many mods have you installed alongside Frontier? There might be some conflicts.

Other than ones that I've checked compatibility for like the hit marker, nah

If you have an ENB turn it off with Shift F12 this mod does not like running with one on.

I have them all disabled

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Put another short evening into this. Haven't touched main story stuff, just exploring. Well, I did find the Crusaders, which I suppose is a story branch.

No crashes today, and no serious bugs (mostly just animation related oddities).

Did a few more sidequests, and it's a mixed bag. I met Jolene and her starting quest was pretty cool, and even had the other characters chime in in a specific way. I also met the COS, which I could then bring up to the Crusaders, always cool to see those optional dialogue flags.

I also did the miner revolt quest, but some of the parts of it seem to have crossed wires, I helped the miners and now I get yelled at by them. I never met one of the characters in a tied side-quest, so maybe that's playing a role. Reloaded a save and will let it sit for now.

Enjoying myself way more now that I'm avoiding mainline NCR story bits, lol.

Edit: Oh, also there is some dialogue when you take certain characters to certain places, like taking America to Junkflea. I've also gotten a few pop-up dialogues with Wrench, once for her disagreeing with my generosity, another for joining the Crusaders. So it's cool to see that sort of stuff implemented.

22380_20210118220437_1.png

22380_20210118214621_1.png

22380_20210119003018_1.png

22380_20210119000412_1.png

22380_20210118232150_1.png

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I can definitely tell that the NCR campaign is going to be the weaker of the three. I appreciate them doing a focused, linear action campaign but I just don't think this engine can handle what they're trying to do. It's really ambitious and I can tell the devs put some SWEAT into this but it still feels like it's being held together by staples. Don't get me wrong, some of the parts I've done were pretty damn neat like playing as Wolfpack.

The crusaders are so far a really good quest line tho.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Holy shieeeeeeeeeet I wasn't ready for this quest. AT ALL.

If I didn't bring a companion with me and turn on the radio, I might have pissed on my pants. Damn.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Two questions: where do I find companions and has anybody managed to find any sort of player housing/safe storage yet?

I'm playing with an explosives build on hardcore so my inventory gets clogged in record time. Desperately need some sort of box to dump a lot of this heavy ammo in.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Two questions: where do I find companions and has anybody managed to find any sort of player housing/safe storage yet?

I'm playing with an explosives build on hardcore so my inventory gets clogged in record time. Desperately need some sort of box to dump a lot of this heavy ammo in.

Companions:

Donovan - Wasted Angel
Lot - Happy Go Lucky Well
Hanged Man - Walking overpass near ground kontrol
Joleyne - Keres Enterprises
Skitters - Sunnyside Theme Park
LapN - Repconn facility near Ground Kontrol
Wrench & Bolt- Carter Company Merc Co.
Scrapz - Ostia Table (Legion Only)
America - Robco Tower (Crusaders Only)
??? - Finish NCR Main Quest

As for player housing, you can get a room in Junkflea, but it's kinda out of the way to be useful. I've just been using the stash box near the medical bed where you wake up in NCR Chapter 2 (opposite the Quartermaster).

Last edited:

littleworm

Oct 25, 2017

If you are doing the NCR quest line, you get a key to a shack near the start of chapter 2.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

There's a bunch of companions and player housing in the game, some are free for all, and some other exclusive to a faction.

Companions:

Donovan - Wasted Angel
Lot - Happy Go Lucky Well
Hanged Man - Walking overpass near ground kontrol
Joleyne - Keres Enterprises Skitters - Sunnyside Theme Park
LapN - Repconn facility near Ground Kontrol
Wrench & Bolt- Carter Company Merc Co.
Scrapz - Ostia Table (Legion Only)
America - Robco Tower (Crusaders Only)
??? - Finish NCR Main Quest

As for player housing, you can get a room in Junkflea, but it's kinda out of the way to be useful. I've just been using the stash box near the medical bed where you wake up in NCR Chapter 2 (opposite the Quartermaster).
Have you not completed the first main quest given by Blackthorne after you wake up (the funeral)? You'll be given the key to the sack just outside the HQ.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Is the writing good? I tried New California or whatever and put off immediately by the writing. It felt really tryhard/edgy.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Is the writing good? I tried New California or whatever and put off immediately by the writing. It felt really tryhard/edgy.

The side quest dialogue and unvoiced player dialogue writing is pretty good. I've laughed out loud a few times. The main NCR stuff at the beginning is a bit hamfisted and kinda clumsily delivered. On average it's better than NC.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So I found a car free for grab out in the open while exploring. Surprisingly, the handling works just fine.

They really put some effort into this vehicle thing. You can store stuff in it, there's gasoline that you need to keep an eye out, and you can mod it.

6053F5C04991C7054E46EBACF76BD78A50BB1683

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Still making my way through this, about 40 hours put in so far. Irvington is a really well-made area with cool quests, pretty solid writing, good characters with pretty good VA. The Salt Town stuff is up there too.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Still making my way through this, about 40 hours put in so far. Irvington is a really well-made area with cool quests, pretty solid writing, good characters with pretty good VA. The Salt Town stuff is up there too.
I just discovered and done interacting with the town last night. And yeah, it's pretty good. There's a lot of lores they put into the game's numerous settlements, including that town. Like how the militia was just recently made, what was the reason, how's the town holding up against outer threats, what's their issues nowadays, and so on. That's my favorite part of RPGs, finding new settlement, learn their story, and do business in there.

Overall, that kind of quality is well spread throughout the game. There's no half assed places or settlements, everything feels like they do belong in the Frontier. They've done a really good job with the worldbuilding in this "mod" that's actually a brand new Fallout game.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Also, about the new driving mechanic. The Frontier team is a bunch of wizards. Vehicles are something that hasn't done yet in this engine even by Bethesda, and they nailed it. Here's the video showcasing how it works, how's the handling (better than Cyberpunk !) and physics. It also showcases how stable the game is while driving around the open world without crashing or game breaking bugs, at mostly stable 60fps. This kind of speed and asset streaming is not possible in normal gameplay on foot.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, about the new driving mechanic. The Frontier team is a bunch of wizards. Vehicles are something that hasn't done yet in this engine even by Bethesda, and they nailed it. Here's the video showcasing how it works, how's the handling (better than Cyberpunk !) and physics. It also showcases how stable the game is while driving around the open world without crashing or game breaking bugs, at mostly stable 60fps. This kind of speed and asset streaming is not possible in normal gameplay on foot.

Xilandro is a wizard.
Also TIL that DXVK is useful outside of Linux and can give you a performance boost when used in Windows.

Jac_Solar

Oct 28, 2017

Wow that's amazing. The sound effects seem to be slightly off, but the driving looks really good.

Oct 25, 2017
What's that? Judging from the github page, it sounds too complicated for me.
Graphics API Wrapper that converts Windows-only Direct X 9-11 games to the more modern and cross platform compatible Vulkan API. Usually used to make Windows games Linux compatible (Steam's Proton uses it by default) but it seems some people also use it in Windows to get better performance.
Not that hard to use in Windows either. Just extract the dll files from the .tar.gz archive to the games folder and it should work.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The many NPCs of The Frontier.
131187017C7D54972A6ED86BA4D3E55D42644332

B62C990C56603134C75220503D0E9F7C2C828FA5

EB6037E236963F11B1E9FD44D0F60E25189AEC32

9357F6DD7B5108C8528C6279BFFDD7F53F785247

2851A327B7F2D04F9B615CE85F74B4A23F811615

B958ABBCDFB9397E08A031D8447C0E60F7D00801

D48DBD35FF7002BAFA0D1705C7B73DD79376DC18

5D227DEF687901F0A2E70A4972B0319E4144161E

Graphics API Wrapper that converts Windows-only Direct X 9-11 games to the more modern and cross platform compatible Vulkan API. Usually used to make Windows games Linux compatible (Steam's Proton uses it by default) but it seems some people also use it in Windows to get better performance.
Not that hard to use in Windows either. Just extract the dll files from the .tar.gz archive to the games folder and it should work.
That's it for free performance gain? Wow. I'll give it a whirl, thanks.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done with this mod for now. I might come back to it to try the Crusaders path, got no interest in the Legion path, but after dealing with the Wave, after wave, after wave of Enclave enemies in space. I don't have the patience to continue, much less finish the NCR story. Most of what we do at that base was just... frustrating to me that I started using god mode just to get through them.

I did have fun with the driving mechanics though. Like, I think they did a really good job here. The tank, specifically, feels really good. Almost felt like I was driving one from Battlefield.