• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
just got new vegas and its a pain in the ass to install mods
Use the Mod Organizer 2. It uses a virtual file system (means original files are untouched) and allow different mod profiles. In case something goes wrong it's very easy to switch back to a running installation by the click of a mouse button.

I recommend following this guide: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/
It's stable (one of New Vegas biggest problem) and doesn't change to much from the original experience if you play it the first time.

As for the Frontier mod: after seeing what people did with Enderal: Forgotten Stories which feels like Gothic made in Skyrims engine and is really really amazing, I'm surprised what hobby devs achieve in their free time.

Will try out that mod!

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still fuck with Fallout Mod Manager (FOMM) and it's never given me trouble. 😂 Laugh away neophytes, it works!

How to install
OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Here's the release trailer that'll go live at launch time.

The devs have also shared the installation guide, as the Nexus version is not as streamlined as the delayed Steam version.
- FOR NEW INSTALLATIONS

ALL OF THESE REQUIRE SOME LEVEL OF READING COMPREHENSION, PLEASE READ ALL DESCRIPTIONS AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR THESE MODS

1) Install New Vegas
2) Patch the EXE via the 4gb patcher from https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/62552. Ensure you have the correct VC++ redis from the page linked
3) Install xNVSE from https://github.com/xNVSE/NVSE/releases/tag/6.0.0. You require the latest 6.0+ version
4) Install JIPLN from https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58277
5) Install Johnny Guitar from https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66927
6) Install UIO from https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/57174?tab=files
7) Install NVAC from https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635
8) Install The Frontier by placing all the files from the 7z file into your Fallout New Vegas/Data folder.
8) Run the game once to see if you have any missing dependencies. If you do, download and install the correct versions.
9) Enjoy the Frontier!

Lastly, a Nexus article:
www.nexusmods.com

Fallout: The Frontier Releases Today!

Big news Fallout fans, it's finally happening! Fallout: The Frontier will be available to download on Nexus Mods from 8pm (GMT) and on Steam next week. Development of F...

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Paid for a month of Nexusmods Premium to get some hot download speeds, but grabbing a few other large mods ahead of The Frontier, and I'm still only getting like 1MB/sec. Disappointing.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the site is getting hammered, having a hard time getting pages to load.

Oct 25, 2017
I Will play Fallout nv soon, can i play this as a DLC or its own thing?
You can play it either way really.
It's works like the other DLC were it's recommended to level up to a certain point before you begin but also the mod gives you an option to quick start the mod once you finish the character creation.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
RIP Nexus. Wondered why it wouldn't log me in when I launched Vortex an hour or so ago.

Hopefully this comes up sometime tonight! Love to give it a spin!

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Can I install this on the steam version without waiting for the official steam release? Or is it a bad idea to fuck around with steam installs ? (I have never modded anything)

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I know this might be silly to share when the site is struggling so much but I do strongly suggest the Just Assorted Mods, especially if you're used to Fallout 4 or 76 and haven't played NV in a while. Gives a weapon wheel, sprint, and quick loot menu more similar to the later games, alongside some configurable crosshair stuff. Listed as compatible with the Frontier in that google sheet table.

How to start the mod

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Got the mod downloaded and starting the campaign. For anyone who's not sure how to start on a fresh character:
  • Start a new file and go through the Doc's character creation stuff.
  • Head outside and you should get a few prompts about the Frontier, including choosing a starting level.
  • 'Wait' for about 12 hours, then talk to the NPC. Then you can fast travel to a new camp on the north side on the map. Here you'll get a few more options to select.
  • Talk to the NPCs here and get on the truck.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Got the mod downloaded and starting the campaign. For anyone who's not sure how to start on a fresh character:
  • Start a new file and go through the Doc's character creation stuff.
  • Head outside and you should get a few prompts about the Frontier, including choosing a starting level.
  • 'Wait' for about 12 hours, then talk to the NPC. Then you can fast travel to a new camp on the north side on the map. Here you'll get a few more options to select.
  • Talk to the NPCs here and get on the truck.

Mannnnn - I ran all the way north to the camp, lol.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Wow, that was quite a strong opening. The writing and voice acting is pretty good too so far. It's gonna be a great ride.

012AC1BCAF73BC2954043797833DE53C038797D5

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
There are lots of cool callbacks to Fallouts 1 and 2 (I played those back to back so sometimes I forget specifically which references which of the two).

22380_20210116015321_1.png

I can't believe they brought these things back.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
^ lol

There's also a trader in the base who mentioned a rumor about a crazy scientist and his talking deathclaws.

Generally, I love the writing so much, lots of moral dilemmas as well as funny characters/dialogues, even perks. And I'm still very early in the game.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to dipping my toes into this. Going to use the google doc spreadsheet in the FAQ to grab some of the recommended essentials.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Man I want don't want to be too critical of a hobbyist endeavor made in years of people's free time, but the first main quest where you head to the bridge and the one following that are just incredibly bad. Maybe it could be because I started at the lowest level, but it feels like CoD design shoved into a Fallout game.

LUCKILY I've just been exploring the map and questing since and have been having a much better time. Found a couple of companions and lots of cool locations with much better designed sidequests.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I want don't want to be too critical of a hobbyist endeavor made in years of people's free time, but the first main quest where you head to the bridge and the one following that are just incredibly bad. Maybe it could be because I started at the lowest level, but it feels like CoD design shoved into a Fallout game.

LUCKILY I've just been exploring the map and questing since and have been having a much better time. Found a couple of companions and lots of cool locations with much better designed sidequests.
Yeah even the devs themselves said on the release stream that those early quests are not representitive of the rest of the mod.
They were the first things they made for the mod back in 2016 when they didn't know it was going to baloon to the size of a full Fallout game.
I suspect somebody is going to make a submod that lets you skip those early quests on subsequent playthroughs.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Interesting. So this is like the opposite of New California that had a very strong questline at the beginning, but fell apart as soon as you left the vault. I heard that some members of the team left the project when developing the open world part, which kinda shows. Frontier has been in development for 8 years with some breaks and a change of head of project, so it's understandable.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I'll have to go back eventually, but as soon as I got off the flight to Portland, I found a car and drove off the base. Been roaming the map just hitting points of interest.

Also the driving is really good, but I ran out of gas pretty quick and have been hoofing it mostly.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I need to look into this at some point. Thanks for posting about it.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Omg, Frontier is like a goty-tier RPG.

I'm still 15 hours into the game but so far the writing and quest design (after the linear/tutorial chapter 1) are so well done and integrated to the world building and exploration. So many skill checks, moral dilemmas, and a lot of mysteries. I also love the jokes a lot, very Fallout-esque. From stupid characters with totally wrong ideas about the old world to references to other Fallout games and good ol' sarcams.
131187017C7D54972A6ED86BA4D3E55D42644332

7BA2CD94A64937D91120AB1A7F70C82FBBE5335F

642848C341B2D870D8EACF7F2644CDDB0CA8B216

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I guess I'll throw in some of my weekend opinions. I've been playing for about 25 hours and I've still got a bit more of the map to uncover. I've really not liked the story missions and I think the voice acting is probably the worst of the major conversion mods I've played, but it's hard to dwell on that too much when it's made as a fan project.

The tank mission sucked. That was not fun. The vertibird gun sections are boring too.

On a more positive note, the map itself is really dense and there are quests everywhere. The whole mod is a bit combat-heavy though. I'm constantly going through ammo and buying out all the stock.

There are a shitton of references everywhere. And even Fallout 1/2 music in places.

The most impressive thing is just how expansive it is. The exact opposite of New California where most of the buildings were empty and there was little to find off the beaten path.

22380_20210118001820_1.png

22380_20210117205907_1.png

22380_20210116221049_1.png

22380_20210117174654_1.png

22380_20210115205937_1.png

22380_20210117210208_1.png

22380_20210117015430_1.png

22380_20210117220848_1.png

22380_20210115214017_1.png

22380_20210116003451_1.png

22380_20210116024833_1.png

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Appendix: I wish I was taking more screenshots of this, but I love seeing the new assets (or good facsimiles) for the locations in The Frontier.

22380_20210117145711_1.png

22380_20210115200434_1.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm honestly surprised that you're not liking the VA, especially because me and the general consensus on Discord feel that the VA was one of the highest points of the mod. There are some minor issues like uneven audio strength of some of the voices, and how certain voices felt like they're being recorded in different places (which makes sense since it's a collaborative work from home). But overall, they've done a great job.

Regarding content, I completely agree with you that it's superbly well done. It's totally a full blown new Fallout game, no doubt about that.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Time to put on my nerd glasses and push them up dramatically(?):

The Legion in Portland? The logistics on that don't really work. They probably would never make it that far without collapsing, and if they did they certainly wouldn't still be having problems with the NCR, at that point.

(It rates at like a 1 out of 10 on the Bethesda Scale of Lore Inconsistencies, though, I'm just nitpicking.)

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

The Legion in Portland? The logistics on that don't really work. They probably would never make it that far without collapsing, and if they did they certainly wouldn't still be having problems with the NCR, at that point.

(It rates at like a 1 out of 10 on the Bethesda Scale of Lore Inconsistencies, though, I'm just nitpicking.)

I haven't played too much of the mod, but I'm pretty sure they went with the Honest-Hearts-style "this isn't actually the Legion, just a tribe trying to prove themselves for entry" explanation here. Not sure I buy it, considering they're already wearing Legion colors and they're a fair amount more technologically-advanced than the Mojave Legion, but maybe the questline fleshes that out a bit.

I see some people comparing the Crusaders faction to some Loverslab-type crap, any thoughts on that in here?

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Yeah, they've certainly made up the lore all right, but at least they tried to make it more reasonable.
The Northern Legion

Lead by Legate Marcus Valerious, the Northern Legion started as a small expeditionary force sent to conquer the areas north of the NCR to prepare for a full invasion of California. They expected to face weak tribals and encountered Blackthorne's exiles instead.

Taking advantage of the Exiles failures and atrocities, Valerious absorbed the long suffering Snowblind and Bleeder tribes into his Legion, growing it into a fighting force larger, if not stronger, then Lanius'.
I haven't played too much of the mod, but I'm pretty sure they went with the Honest-Hearts-style "this isn't actually the Legion, just a tribe trying to prove themselves for entry" explanation here. Not sure I buy it, considering they're already wearing Legion colors and they're a fair amount more technologically-advanced than the Mojave Legion, but maybe the questline explains it.

I see some people comparing the Crusaders faction to some Loverslab-type crap, any thoughts on that in here?
There's an NPC or two who mentioned that in the game, yeah. That this Northern Legion is not exactly related to Caesar's, they're just a bunch of new tribes calling themselves the Legion. I haven't met the Crusaders so I can't say much.