• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
As the title suggested, even though it's just a mod, it's basically a new Fallout game with a comparable scale as a regular Fallout game. They originally planned to release this in December, but it's pushed to January. It's mostly funded by the development team and patreon. It's also going to be on Steam.

Fallout: The Frontier is a gigantic DLC/New Game . It's a FREE mod for the PC game : Fallout new Vegas by Obsidian Entertainment, made by a group of passionate on their free time during 6 years. Story: As the "Courrier" (Your character in FNV) you start a new adventure centered around a conflict between the NCR and the Legion in the snow blasted remains of Portland Oregon. Featuring 3 major questlines, 50+ side quests, hundreds of new armours, weapons and items, and thousands of lines of voiced dialogue.

New Worldspace Design
The Frontier is an open world, similar in size to the DC wasteland, featuring a fully snowy Portland Oregon, with real life landmarks and locations.

New Gameplay
Fight against new varieties and styles of enemies! Featuring a robust new vehicle system, dozens of interesting creatures, over 150 new weapons and hundreds of new armours, there's a whole world of exploration.

Unique FX
The Frontier brings you world class FX and experiences, with techniques that are used in modern VFX. Our FX are designed to be as performance friendly as possible, whilst blowing the gates open in terms of quality and "awesome-ness"

Voice Acting
The Frontier is a fully voiced experience, with over 24,000 lines of voiced dialogue, all provided by our talented voice acting cast and a few celebrity guests! We've aimed for as high a quality experience as we can in terms of voice acting. Voice Acting done with the help of Creators Network and Casting Call Club

Questing
Featuring 3 major questlines following the NCR, the Legion and the Crusaders of Steel. Dozens of new side quests of varying length and complexity, with an incredible amount of worldbuilding to help bring the experience together. Skill and S.P.E.C.I.A.L checks abound. Level yourself up to sweet talk your way out of trouble.

DLC content
Fallout: The Frontier requires the base game and the four official DLCs.

Here's a couple of videos of the mod in action from early 2020 build.

FAQs
Q) When is the Frontier coming out?
A) January 15th, 2021!

Q) Where does the Frontier take place?
A) Portland, Oregon

Q) Is the Frontier a continuation of the New Vegas story?
A) NO, the Frontier takes place before the Battle of Hoover Dam.

Q) Are any of the DLC required?
A) All four main DLC are required (Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road).

Q) Are there any required mods?
A) 4GB Patcher, NVSE, JIP LN NVSE Plugin, and UIO. NVAC and MCM are recommended.

Q) Will X appear in the Mojave after or during Y?
A) No, we DO NOT touch the base game or its respective DLC in any capacity besides the initial location designated to get you to The Frontier.

Q) How will faction main quests play out?
A) NCR will be a more linear combat oriented playthrough, while Legion will be more dialogue and skill oriented, and the Crusaders will be a balanced blend of the two

Q) Can I use an old character?
A) We strongly suggest you create a new save for playing the Frontier, to minimize potential errors.

Q) Can we take companions with us to the Frontier?
A) No. Q) What's the recommended level? A) The recommended level is 20+.

Q) How big is the map?
A) 64x64, as big as we can get it in heightmap editor. Complete map dimensions: 383x383 cells (Data from -64,-64 to 191,191). Playable area: 64x64 cells (Data from -32.-32 to 32.32). This is the same playable area as New Vegas AND Fallout 3.

Q) Will this game be free?
A) As mentioned above, this is not a game, but a mod for Fallout New Vegas. As such, yes, it will be free. And no, it won't be released on console as this is simply not possible.

Q) Can we take vehicles to the Mojave from the Frontier?
A) No, the Mojave wasn't designed for it.

Q) Will it be compatible with [mod name here]?
A) A spreadsheet cataloguing recommended/vital mods along with known incompatibilities and their severity is being worked on and will be published in due course.

Last edited:

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow

i just got new vegas and its a pain in the ass to install mods

How is this legal anyway. Seems a bit too good to be true

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
It seems like a lot of work was put into the mod, but why did they choose Fallout New Vegas as a base for the mod? It's the buggiest, most unstable Fallout game.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Use Vortex and Gopher has a guide on youtube that helped a lot.
Took me just a couple hours.
I have like the big mod that is most popular on the fallout manager

but i don't know how to install stuff like the fauna mod. Im probably installing it in the wrong place but it doesn't show on the mods manager

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Only know about this mod cause of some community drama. Someone discovered that the game has a vault populated entirely by lizard people that do drugs and fornicate. Mod lead tried to cover it up for whatever reason.

Also werewolves too apperantly.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never even beat project brazil. Fuck it, seems like its almost time to return to my favorite rpg. I'll give this a shot the weekend it comes out on, if I'm glued to it after I'll reinstall project brazil and give that another go

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
sounds a bit like Nehrim and Enderal then, those were pretty good Oblvion and Skyrim "mods" (basically a new game built on top of those)

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds cool, I'm very interested to read impressions. Always hesitant to jump into big mods like this out the gate in case of major issues or just them not really fitting what I feel the vibe of the game is, but here's hoping it turns out well!

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I tend to really not enjoy Fallout mods because they don't mega vibe with me(Frost, for example, everyone praises but I felt like I wasn't even playing Fallout anymore so it wasn't really my type of game).

Then again I adored Autumn Leaves.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
wowow between this and Project Brazil/New California that's two gigantic mods that are equivalent to full-blown expansions

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Well, I loved NV so I can't wait to try this out.

Oh wow

i just got new vegas and its a pain in the ass to install mods

How is this legal anyway. Seems a bit too good to be true

I have like the big mod that is most popular on the fallout manager

but i don't know how to install stuff like the fauna mod. Im probably installing it in the wrong place but it doesn't show on the mods manager

If you are new and are interested in modding (or new to modding), I would consider using a guide for it. I believe Viva New Vegas is the most current recommended guide and it should help. The important thing about modding is that you do have to be careful about what order you install/run mods. I think the guide should be customizable so you can add/remove mods as needed, but I haven't really looked (and it's been some time since i've played).

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Only know about this mod cause of some community drama. Someone discovered that the game has a vault populated entirely by lizard people that do drugs and fornicate. Mod lead tried to cover it up for whatever reason.

Also werewolves too apperantly.

I don't see the problem.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
It's stuff like this that makes me hope Bethesda never gets rid of their engine.

The mods the community have made are absolutely incredible.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I tend to really not enjoy Fallout mods because they don't mega vibe with me(Frost, for example, everyone praises but I felt like I wasn't even playing Fallout anymore so it wasn't really my type of game).

Then again I adored Autumn Leaves.
I just learned about Frost, but it sounds like an overhaul mod than an entirely new game built from scratch like this one. A comparable mod for Frontier is New California, which was great. It's kinda rushed and lacking in content, but the main campaign is awesome.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Will installing this ruin my current NV install/saves/mods?
According to the FAQs, you can use your NV save but it's recommended to use a new character.

Can you install this and New California at the same time?
New California shares the same folder as the main game, so probably not.

It's stuff like this that makes me hope Bethesda never gets rid of their engine.

The mods the community have made are absolutely incredible.
Indeed. And we still have a few massive standalone mods and "remakes" coming up for Skyrim and Fallout 4.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Just 3 more days..

Mqqr1O.gif

Also, the mod will be 27GB in size. Base game is only 6GB in comparison.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Literally just now learning about this! Do I need to have Fallout New Vegas installed and ready to go or is it more like Enderal where it's packaged entirely separately? The FAQ isn't 100% clear...

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
They are using FNV as the base game?
good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

It was a labor of love to mod FNV and put up with its bullshit but idk if Im gonna go back and do that just for a mod. But if they pull it off and manage to not make the experience so damn unstable then maybe I might be tempted back.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Literally just now learning about this! Do I need to have Fallout New Vegas installed and ready to go or is it more like Enderal where it's packaged entirely separately? The FAQ isn't 100% clear...
You install FNV and all its DLC, then install Frontier. The installer will patch the game with the mod, plus some utilities (mainly NVSE plugins) needed for the whole thing to work.

Also worth noting they're providing a quick-start option to immediately get folks into the mod without having to level a character in base New Vegas first.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Good to know, the last time I modded FNV it was a nightmare (i think this was around the time people were generally migrating from Nexus Mod Manager to Mod Organizer.)

I guess I'll just install the vanilla game+dlc and then grab the steam upload of the mod and see how it goes.

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Are they at least updating the textures and bundling patch/fixes mods? I can't play vanilla NV, tried a few times, and without my 100+ mod list I just don't feel comfortable :P.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Oh if people are going to reinstall NV: get the Mod Limit Fix mod on the nexus and enjoy the fact that you can finally use more than 140~ plugins without the game immediately turning into a circus of "will it crash or will it not" every 5 steps.

Like I put it on pause for now but I had a 30+ hour playthrough of a Tales of Three Wastelands going (Tales of Two Wastelands + New California + a bridge mod) and it was amazingly stable considering that is three different games stuffed into one package, vs the far more crash prone experience I remember having with a standalone modded New Vegas a few years prior.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
They are using FNV as the base game?
good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

It was a labor of love to mod FNV and put up with its bullshit but idk if Im gonna go back and do that just for a mod. But if they pull it off and manage to not make the experience so damn unstable then maybe I might be tempted back.

Fallout New California was a similar scope and released a couple of years back. It had it's (internal) issues but it wasn't unstable or anything.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
Really looking to get this and that New California mod and just get back into some Fallout. Never did play them on PC for so I'm gonna have to look into some other mods for the game as well.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Will this work on consoles? I install all kinds of mods on Skyrim (series S).
No. I don't think there's a New Vegas mod suppport on consoles, only Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Fallout New California was a similar scope and released a couple of years back. It had it's (internal) issues but it wasn't unstable or anything.
Yeah, I played it at "launch" a couple years back and it's pretty solid. Much better than the base game, in fact.

Are they at least updating the textures and bundling patch/fixes mods? I can't play vanilla NV, tried a few times, and without my 100+ mod list I just don't feel comfortable :P.
Yup, just like most big mods, they already have lots of smaller mods integrated into this. They're also looking into making a list of compatible mods, last time I heard. Not sure if it's already available or not, gotta check the Discord later. And I'm with you on this, I need at least the textures, lighting, animation mods, and ENB to make it not really an eyesore when playing NV.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): platform wars, prior warning for platform wars
f6f66ee665f7e711291a4d3ef312e6c4.gif

Super psyched for this, I just did a Fallout New Vegas mod install over quarantine to pass the time.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Thats impressive, coming from the same "stick a train-car model to the head of a human model to achieve the illusion of movement" engine.

e43a4affbf1a33facd574e4acdc74b47.png

The trick above has very little to do with the game's engine. Workarounds like these are very commonplace in game development, where coding is often a nightmare and deadlines are often tight. (See this Twitter thread for a ton of examples.)

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Wow this looks pretty rad, really polished for a mod. Too busy with other games atm, but definitely bookmarked to come back to at some point.

EDIT: The modern pop in the trailers is taking me out of it a little, though, it's just not Fallout without 30's/40's lounge jazz/swing. Hopefully that's not the in-game radio.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Went ahead and installed the game with the process over at Viva New Vegas, which makes the whole thing pretty turn key. Hopefully I can just slot the Frontier mod in and be good to go without too many issues!

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
New FAQ regarding launch.
Q: Release date?
A: Nexus is as schedule and steam is delayed till after the weekend
Q: What mods should i not use?
A: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haLudyV-q4IXVu3jmJ_KjvF82CmsQDTIiyJXODHsdAs/edit#gid=0
Q: Is there a quick start?
A: Yes, frontier has its own quick-start option to take you up to 12, 17 or 20.
Q: DLC requirements?
A: Yes, requires 4 story DLCs
Q: File size?
A: 30gb unzipped, 27gb compressed

Wow this looks pretty rad, really polished for a mod. Too busy with other games atm, but definitely bookmarked to come back to at some point.

EDIT: The modern pop in the trailers is taking me out of it a little, though, it's just not Fallout without 30's/40's lounge jazz/swing. Hopefully that's not the in-game radio.
Yeah, it seems like the trailers are fan-made with inserted songs not directly related to the mod.

Looks interesting... ok, will wait for steam availability.
I'm thinking about waiting for Steam too, but I'm not sure if I can wait for another week lol.