• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018
Does Obsidian even want to do that now? Now that they have a stable backing they might want to continue to create new games. New Vegas was a long time ago.

Feargus said both in 2013 and 2017 that he would love to do another Fallout. I think he really loves Fallout (and still do).

But do they prefer to do The Outer Worlds 2 or a sequel to New Vegas now that the possibility exists ? Hard to tell.

"I'm a lot older than a lot of the people working on the game and when we first started on it I said to the team, 'I hope this becomes your Fallout.'" It's a sweet sentiment from Tim Cain, the co-director of The Outer Worlds, sat alongside the other co-director, Leonard Boyarsky. Once upon a time, the duo was a part of the core creative team at Interplay Entertainments – responsible for the original Fallout, one of the most influential RPGs of all time. Now, more than two decades later, they are hoping to do it all over again with The Outer Worlds.

"I hope that in 10 or 20 years people are still talking about The Outer Worlds. I hope that games are still being made in this universe. I hope other games are inspired by it..." Cain continues until Boyarsky leaps in to finish his thought; the two are easy in conversation. "I hope that it resonates with people. To do that, it needs to be satisfying in a deep way, in a way that makes people want to just keep on returning to it over and over again. I want this to feel like a universe that people continually want to play in."
www.gamesradar.com

"I said to the team, 'I hope this becomes your Fallout'": The directors of The Outer Worlds discuss its development

Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky discuss The Outer Worlds, a game that feels torn out of time without being dated by it

However, they must be aware that a sequel to New Vegas is also one of the most awaited sequels in the industry at the moment (though The Outer Worlds 2 would be a hit too, but this is not on the same level yet).

Maybe once Avowed releases in 2022-2023, the main team can work on it if they want.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to have another Fallout to play, I haven't been interested in the two released since New Vegas.

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see Microsoft doing that unless the power players at Bethesda we're good with it. I think Microsoft prefers they keep the talent as much as possible in the fold there. Maybe they would be okay with it? Kind of doubt it though.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
inXile could also do a better Fallout than Bethesda.

But I'm not sure Obsidian or inXile are in a position to make one right now due to their own projects. Obsidian especially seems pretty busy with upcoming games.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just stoked MS keeps grabbing these old school RPG devs. I'm more of a Playstation guy for consoles but I mostly play PC. MS being able to fund these guys making games that no one else really does these days is only going to be good.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see them pump out Fallouts and saturating the IP like crazy, because there's Avowed, Starfield, and TESVI. At most they'll do one Fallout before the next one, and it'll be teams from Obsidian and InXile helping out a second team from Bethesda. Todd will still want to retain full direction.

OP
OP
rrc1594

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them pump out Fallouts and saturating the IP like crazy, because there's Avowed, Starfield, and TESVI. At most they'll do one Fallout before the next one, and it'll be teams from Obsidian and InXile helping out a second team from Bethesda. Todd will still want to retain full direction.

MS does have options

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Fallout New Vegas 2 by Obsidian
Fallout Van Buren by InXile

And it's funny that Obsidian is working on their own Skyrim while Xbox buys Bethesda.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Fallout New Vegas 2 by Obsidian
Fallout Van Buren by InXile

And it's funny that Obsidian is working on their own Skyrim while Xbox buys Bethesda.
It's also funny because in your scenario one of the major figures at Obsidian, Josh Sawyer, was one of the Lead Designers on Van Buren almost 20 years ago, which would be being made by inXile under the same publishing arm that Sawyer is working on a different Fallout game (which is a sequel to another Fallout game he was a major player on during development 10 years ago).

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Depends what The Outer Worlds team does next. Obsidian has like 100+ people on Avowed, had/has 70+ on The Outer Worlds, and 15 or so on Grounded.

I suppose it's not out of the question that The Outer Worlds team works on a Fallout game, but I think it would be entirely their choice to do so and they may want to stick to The Outer Worlds.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
Who said Obsidian want to make it these days , since they have free reign to make what they want now.
Black Tusk Studios had free reign to make whatever they wanted, a brand new AAA IP. Then when Microsoft acquired the Gears IP they decided they wanted to rename themselves 'The Coalition' and make Gears games...

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obsidian would not be working on Avowed and Fallout at the same time. If they were to make another major Fallout game, full production probably wouldn't start until Avowed is finished.

That would still give it a decent chance of releasing this generation though. Which is why I think it could happen. 76 did not get off the ground as successfully as they had hoped. They need to keep the franchise alive and well. Letting Obsidian work on another west coast title (that isn't Fallout 5) would allow BGS to not have to worry about the IP and could even allow them to make Starfield 2 after Elder Scrolls 6.

But I really don't think it happens unless both BGS and Obsidian are ok with it.
they have sevral teams, its likely the outer worlds team gets fallout given outer worlds was always their take on fallout but on a shoe string budget.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Black Tusk Studios had free reign to make whatever they wanted, a brand new AAA IP. Then when Microsoft acquired the Gears IP they decided they wanted to rename themselves 'The Coalition' and make Gears games...

That's something Black Tusk's leadership said they voted on. I believe there was an interview with one of the guys on the leadership team and he said making new AAA IP is risky and working on a franchise that's guaranteed to sell millions made sense.

Maybe Obsidian does something similar and returns to Fallout New Vegas, but The Outer Worlds team had a successful new IP debut and the Grounded team had a successful preview with full release targeting mid-2021. The Avowed team is not going to give up a game they worked on for the last two+ years.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
So you've got the IP owners of Fallout in Bethesda, founder of Interplay and its executive producer Brian Fargo with inXile, and some of its core architects in Feargus Urquhart, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky with Obsidian (as well as New Vegas director Josh Sawyer), all under one umbrella in Xbox Game Studios.

No idea if anything comes if it but I just think that's pretty neat.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
they have sevral teams, its likely the outer worlds team gets fallout given outer worlds was always their take on fallout but on a shoe string budget.
I don't think The Outer Worlds team would be able to make a AAA next gen rpg by themselves. I also think a lot of the people who worked on that game are currently working on Avowed.

Another Fallout game (even if it isn't Fallout5) would be a massive undertaking. That's exactly why Bethesda probably wouldn't be able to put one out themselves this generation.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think The Outer Worlds team would be able to make a AAA next gen rpg by themselves. I also think a lot of the people who worked on that game are currently working on Avowed.

Another Fallout game (even if it isn't Fallout5) would be a massive undertaking. That's exactly why Bethesda probably wouldn't be able to put one out themselves this generation.
I expect all those studios toi recruit more people. that said I am sure some team will be getting fallout, ms isnt leaving that ip untouched for a decade.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

You could say that was old MS, everything said recently is giving studios free reign

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Depends how 'independent' BGS and/or Obsidian remain

Seems they're set in doing their own shit and big as fallout is i don't think MS gives a flip unless one and or both studios flounder

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
It would be insane for MS not to ask for another Fallout game, which they know will be very popular, instead of waiting till the end of the decade. They have a lot of studios, they own the IP now, and I am sure there are bunch of devs that would like a crack at it. Not sure if it would be Obsidian, inXile or somebody else, but you bet we'll see a new Fallout in 4-5 years (unfortunately it will be that long ).

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'll do you one better:

Brian Fargo and inXile are at MS as well. How about we give him the opportunity to make the Fallout 3 he always wanted to back in the day?

This.

Also, Obsidian is going to have its hands very full with Avowed, Grounded, and Outer Worlds 2 (which Matt Booty already mentioned was coming). I suppose they could rebrand Outer Worlds 2 as Fallout: New Frontier (or something), but it would likely make way more sense to give the IP to InExile. I'm pretty sure they were going to make a AAA Wasteland game anyways.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty curious about where this leaves the Outer Worlds. Nothing against that game but would anyone prefer a follow up to that over Fallout? It's probably too late to make that call anyway.

I'm hoping at least one of these WRPG studios makes a solid Bioware style RPG. I really missed those this generation. Maybe Avowed will be that if it intends to be more like a AAA version of Pillars of Eternity.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
P
True, but I'm sure Phil would want the okay from Todd
I think Todd would have a problem if Phil tried to give an Elder Scrolls game to another studio, which is their baby. I doubt BGS is as possessive of Fallout, which wasn't even their IP at first. Todd always seemed less enthusiastic about Fallout games than he is about TES (or Starfield now).

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
So you've got the IP owners of Fallout in Bethesda, founder of Interplay and its executive producer Brian Fargo with inXile, and some of its core architects in Feargus Urquhart, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky with Obsidian (as well as New Vegas director Josh Sawyer), all under one umbrella in Xbox Game Studios.

No idea if anything comes if it but I just think that's pretty neat.

Grab Todd and everyone mentioned there, lock them in a room and don't let them out until a new Fallout concept is made.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Avowed seems far off. Seems it would take them a super long time to make that then turn around and also make a massive Fallout game. Think no matter what we're looking at a really long wait for the next Fallout. Unless they make a new studio just for it or something.

Nov 8, 2017
Avowed seems far off. Seems it would take them a super long time to make that then turn around and also make a massive Fallout game. Think no matter what we're looking at a really long wait for the next Fallout.

Yeah Obsidian is at capacity for a while. They could probably get to it before Bethesda could directly, since they'll be tied up on starfield for another year then TES for like 4 after that. But some other studio could probably work on it first.

Imo getting the Wasteland 3 team into a new isometric Fallout could be good creatively and commercially. Smaller scale project with the big IP, good pr from old timey gamers, get some of the old fallout blood from inxile and elsehwee into it. Could crank it out in 3 years instead of 5 considering dramatically reduced tech complexity of those games.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Heard some rumblings from inXile that they think it is funny how things are coming together once again, but I think this has more to do with their partially shared history more than any projects to come.

Still, just like Smash Ultimate, everyone is here so they could make one hell of a Fallout game with their combined powers.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
I'm honestly more interested in whatever original IP Obsidian/InXile are working on. New Vegas was all I ever wanted and more. For better and worse, Fallout games are Bethesda-style open-world RPGs now.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
but osbisdian are already maling their Skyrim... So even after that, a new fallout game isn't a thing we'd see for another 5 years

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
If Bethesda make it then it's after Starfield and Elder Scrolls, If Obsidian make it then it's after Avowed and means killing Outer Worlds as a franchise.

Either way you're looking at years and years away too.

I think if we get a new Fallout it would need to be from someone else. Unless Obsidian heavily expand to two teams.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
obsidian has already been working on an unannounced project for a few months that Josh Sawyer (director of F:NV) is the director of

maybe it could be a new fallout, and since talks between bethesda and ms has been going on since 2018, maybe only recently the acquisition and paperwork/legalities were ironed out but the deal could've been done months ago? so maybe preproduction work could've already started who knows

or could just be a new IP that Sawyer is working on, probably a historical fiction game like Kingdom: Come Deliverance given his interest in making such a game for a long time

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
obsidian has already been working on an unannounced project for a few months that Josh Sawyer (director of F:NV) is the director of

maybe it could be a new fallout, and since talks between bethesda and ms has been going on since 2018, maybe only recently the acquisition and paperwork/legalities were ironed out but the deal could've been done months ago? so maybe preproduction work could've already started who knows
I really doubt it. In the yesterday's interview, Todd said that most of Bethesda's employees found out about the acquisition at the same time as the rest of the world did, so I doubt people at Obsidian could have been working on a Fallout game all this time.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
TBH i prefer InXile to take Wasteland to new grounds, with an AAA budget. And as for Obsidian, they have their own IPs to expand on. Actually i think Fallout should take a rest for a while.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe...? I feel like Obsidian has their hands full with Outer Worlds and Avowed. Having a diverse range of IP is probably more interesting to Microsoft.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think it will happen. Starfield is however far away it, then elder scrolls 6, a Bethesda fallout 5 could be like 10 years away.

I dont think Microsoft want to wait that long.

Outer Worlds did well and I enjoyed it more than fallout 4 tbh. But I could easily see outer worlds 2 being shelved and obsidian working on avowed and fallout going forward

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
It is all hinging on the Starfield release date, and also its quality. Like if it's a massive hit I could see them doing Starfield then ES 6 followed by Starfield 2. We're in exciting times.

Aug 13, 2020
Hmm, Obsidian is working currently on Avowed, which is basically an Elder's Scolls game made by Obsidian (at least my feeling). Same time Bethesda already started working on a real Elder's Scroll, but as Starfield is not yet done, its doubtful, if the game is really in full production or they just work on a new engine (god, please!) and concepts. So the question is, if you can brand Avowed somehow to an Elder's Scroll game, maybe giving everything to Bethesda and they rework everything. Avowed dying would be bit sad, but this wouldnt be the first new franchise just dying. But this would probably make it possible that Elder's Scroll comes in 2022. Meanwhile, Obsidian starts working on the next Fallout on the same engine. Maybe ready to release 2023/24.
If they don't do it, Obsidians Team is busy with Avowed (I at least expect its done by their pro team, who made before Outer Worlds) until 2022/23 and Elder's Scroll won't come before 2024/25.

If inXile would be able to develop a full Fallout with the help of Obsidian and Bethesda (for sure some people would like to switch, especially Bethesda as soon Starfield is done) - I am not sure. Their games feel more like Fallout 1+2 and also looks more like these, they would need to quite much step up from where they are right now. But this could be already happening since they belong to Microsoft. A proper 3D Wastelands 4 can be easily rebranded Fallout with just placing some key people from Obsidian and Bethesda there.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
They are working on 3 projects already and after f76 the ip needs to rest for a while but sooner or later we'll see it probably