• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
latest

Obsidian invested 100 into Repair.

And gave us this amazing perk. Albeit, it was a perk to (somewhat) bypass an already terrible repair system.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Any Xbox One owners who gave up or were severely disappointed with the game's performance on 360 should give the BC version a try. Load times are quick, freezes and corrupted saves aren't a problem and frame rate doesn't tank the bigger your save file gets.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Any Xbox One owners who gave up or were severely disappointed with the game's performance on 360 should give the BC version a try. Load times are quick, freezes and corrupted saves aren't a problem and frame rate doesn't tank the bigger your save file gets.
Some crashes aside, this was mostly my experience as well.

Fantastic game and DLC. Hope Outer Worlds is able to scratch that same itch.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
God I loved this game. The most amount of times I rolled a character in a Bethesda game too. Making that scary trek across deathclaw country right at the start to try and make into New Vegas so I could blackjack my way to all the special augments at the clinic. I loved it and felt like I was breaking the game. It eased my anxiety as I was in better places to make all the special checks in the game.

Also, that desert ranger armor drove my motivation that first playthrough. I had to have it, it looked so cool. I will always have a soft spot for the Zion dlc for giving us a non faction set on top of the awesome level design of the canyons.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
It really doesn't feel like it's been that long. Every year I get the itch to replay the game + the DLC and I've never done it, maybe this time I'll actually try to do so before the end of the year.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Maybe it's me but i just couldn't get into pillars main story. The characters were nice but that "reading mind" gameplay i couldn't care less, sad because i would had love to love it
Pillars takes its time to get going, that's for sure. However when it opens up and you have access to the snowy expansion area, the castle with its dungeon, as well as the bounties, discovering the world feels much more organic and fun.

Have you tried Tyranny? It starts with a bang and the plot is much more direct. It tries to tap into the Game of Thrones "harsh reality" craze and it does a pretty good job of depicting a gritty war campaign. It's a bit of the opposite of PoE as it starts to lose steam once it opens up about halfway through, if I can be hugely reductive about it.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
God I loved this game. The most amount of times I rolled a character in a Bethesda game too. Making that scary trek across deathclaw country right at the start to try and make into New Vegas so I could blackjack my way to all the special augments at the clinic. I loved it and felt like I was breaking the game. It eased my anxiety as I was in better places to make all the special checks in the game.

Also, that desert ranger armor drove my motivation that first playthrough. I had to have it, it looked so cool. I will always have a soft spot for the Zion dlc for giving us a non faction set on top of the awesome level design of the canyons.
You wot mate? This isn't Bethesda.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I got this game for Christmas that year. But it was so close to Fallout 3. And all I wanted was Elder Scrolls at that point. So it took me a couple years to finally play it. It was excellent, though.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's a real shame Obsidian never got another crack at FO, what I would give to be in the universe where we got a NV2 instead of a FO76.

Despite being drastically different from the original games FO3 was still pretty great with more than a few good ideas. Obsidian took that Bethesda formula and really excelled at it and elevated it in most areas, save for world design, but especially when it came to infusing some of the missing elements of the original games back into it. The roleplaying, factions, quest design, companions and overall treatment of the setting really shined and showed what modern FO games could be in this new Bethesda open world formula and it was promising indeed. It still wasn't the same as classic FO, but it was still something special nonetheless. Then we got FO4 and FO76. Now I'm just kind of ambivalent about the series' future prospects. I'm sure FO5 will be fun whenever it comes but Bethesda's writing/quest design and overall vision for the series just leaves me with little hope or promise.

I'm going in mostly blind on The Outer Worlds. I have faith in Cain, Boyarsky and Obsidian and hope they have a hit on their hands with it that they can build bigger and greater things with.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
I remember beating this and all dlc on the PS3. Got so bad at the final boss that it became a fight of atrition. 1 frame every 2 seconds.

Oh I got spurs that jingle jangle jingle (jingle jangle).

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Among my favorite games of all time. My favorite RPG of all time along with Deus Ex.

I would love a remaster, but it'll never happen...

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I remember beating this and all dlc on the PS3. Got so bad at the final boss that it became a fight of atrition. 1 frame every 2 seconds.

Oh I got spurs that jingle jangle jingle (jingle jangle).

I loved it so much that I wanted to rebuy it for ps3 and play it for the platinum so fucking badly. I forced myself to watch those performance videos and read impressions of it for awhile to talk myself out of it. I was on such a high that at one point I tried to convince myself I could beat it under the amount of time it would take for my save file to bloat up to the point that the issues start. Crazy.

Ah yes quite like Max Payne 3 being a Remedy game.

Did this sound better in your head? What a shit example.

I love NV and what obsidian wrote and designed for the game, but it's basically an expansion pack on 3, in terms of mechanics, features and assets. It's a Bethesda game.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
This is a weird take.

Are facts a weird take? It looks like fallout 3, it plays like fallout 3, (Slightly better outside VATS shooting excluded) because it is fallout 3 under the hood. A good wrapper of characters, storytelling and quests set it above.

I was responding to a post that used Max Payne 3 as some sort of counter point for me calling NV a Bethesda game. A game that has nothing to do with the original developer aside from the title, built on an entirely new engine and tools.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are facts a weird take? It looks like fallout 3, it plays like fallout 3, (Slightly better outside VATS shooting excluded) because it is fallout 3 under the hood. A good wrapper of characters, storytelling and quests set it above.

I was responding to a post that used Max Payne 3 as some sort of counter point for me calling NV a Bethesda game. A game that has nothing to do with the original developer aside from the title, built on an entirely new engine and tools.

I mean, just because that poster is wrong doesn't mean you're right.

The game is built on the foundation of Fallout 3, but so what? It has massive improvements everywhere. To say it's "Bethesda's game" is disrespectful to Obsidian and dishonest overall.

Your argument is more akin to saying that all CoD games are Infinity Ward games... which, again, is unfair and disrespectful to the other teams that work on the franchise.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, straight up my favorite 3D RPG in terms of sheer variety and choices.

Mass Effect has a special place in my heart but it just can't match New Vegas in terms of sheer replayibility.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
But.....what....it's not a shooter? You use VATS for the combat encounters.
Using ONLY VATS is boring and slows down the pace too much for my taste. But it's first person, this is why I expect intense combat; I have lots of guns and I shoot lots of things, especially to solve many problems or to "amplify" my character's "opinion", so this makes for some potential cool shooter elements. And if such elements exist I want them to be good. But they aren't anymore :( I don't expect Vanquish style combat, of course. That's why I said even Fallout 4 level gunplay would suffice just about, and it is the bare minimum I expect from anything even close to a shooter or offering such elements.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the setting & characters of FO4 (Nick Valentine has my entire heart and I'm a sucker for windswept coastal cities) but NV's writing, quest design and aesthetic blows 4 out of the water for sure. I'm playing it for the first time at the moment and constantly agonising over who to side with in the endgame bc all the factions are compelling (except the Legion, fuck them).

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
I love NV and what obsidian wrote and designed for the game, but it's basically an expansion pack on 3, in terms of mechanics, features and assets. It's a Bethesda game.
Just because it uses the same engine does not mean its an expansion pack. If we take a look at quantifiable content alone that should disqualify any notion of an expansion pack (besides the normal stuff like, story/scenario/etc)
  1. More areas to explore than Fallout 3. The base FO3 has 162 discoverable locations. New Vegas has 187.
  2. More quests than Fallout 3. FO3 has 59 quests in the base game. NV has 102 quests.
  3. More weapons than Fallout 3. FO3 has 100 different weapons in the base game. NV has 127 in its base game.
  4. More weapon mods than Fallout 3. FO3 has 0 mods for weapons. NV has 53 mods in the base game.
  5. More armor/clothing than Fallout 3. FO3 has 161 different pieces of armor and clothing. NV has 226 unique pieces in the base game.
  6. More ammunition types than Fallout 3. FO3 has 18 different ammunition .. one for each type of weapon. NV has 26 base types of ammo.. each with 3-7 different variations (hollow points, armor piercing, overcharged energy cells, bulk, etc)
  7. More songs than Fallout 3. FO3 has 37 songs in the base game. NV has 51 different songs.
  8. More enemy types than FO3 has 43 different enemy types in the base game. NV has 101 different enemy types.
  9. More consumables than Fallout 3. FO3 has 72 different consumables in the base game. NV has 158 different consumables.
  10. More Perks than Fallout 3. FO3 has 70 unique perks in the base game. NV has 140 unique perks.
  11. More Traits than Fallout 3. FO3 has zero Traits in the base game. NV has 11 different Traits.
Also keep in mind that "more" often means "new and unique" and not "recycled." Of course this applies to the obvious a new game would have like areas and quests but it also applies to many other things on that list (weapons, for example, are almost entirely different between the two games).

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Just because it uses the same engine does not mean its an expansion pack. If we take a look at quantifiable content alone that should disqualify any notion of an expansion pack (besides the normal stuff like, story/scenario/etc)
  1. More areas to explore than Fallout 3. The base FO3 has 162 discoverable locations. New Vegas has 187.
  2. More quests than Fallout 3. FO3 has 59 quests in the base game. NV has 102 quests.
  3. More weapons than Fallout 3. FO3 has 100 different weapons in the base game. NV has 127 in its base game.
  4. More weapon mods than Fallout 3. FO3 has 0 mods for weapons. NV has 53 mods in the base game.
  5. More armor/clothing than Fallout 3. FO3 has 161 different pieces of armor and clothing. NV has 226 unique pieces in the base game.
  6. More ammunition types than Fallout 3. FO3 has 18 different ammunition .. one for each type of weapon. NV has 26 base types of ammo.. each with 3-7 different variations (hollow points, armor piercing, overcharged energy cells, bulk, etc)
  7. More songs than Fallout 3. FO3 has 37 songs in the base game. NV has 51 different songs.
  8. More enemy types than FO3 has 43 different enemy types in the base game. NV has 101 different enemy types.
  9. More consumables than Fallout 3. FO3 has 72 different consumables in the base game. NV has 158 different consumables.
  10. More Perks than Fallout 3. FO3 has 70 unique perks in the base game. NV has 140 unique perks.
  11. More Traits than Fallout 3. FO3 has zero Traits in the base game. NV has 11 different Traits.
Also keep in mind that "more" often means "new and unique" and not "recycled." Of course this applies to the obvious a new game would have like areas and quests but it also applies to many other things on that list (weapons, for example, are almost entirely different between the two games).

bUt itS juSt aN eMpTy dEseRt

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's my favorite game of all time I think; definitely my favorite RPG, and that's not a statement I make lightly. Have over 700 hours logged in since getting it Day 1 on PC. Every time I upgrade or build a new rig I'm sure to dump a few dozen more hours in it making some characters.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it so much that I wanted to rebuy it for ps3 and play it for the platinum so fucking badly. I forced myself to watch those performance videos and read impressions of it for awhile to talk myself out of it. I was on such a high that at one point I tried to convince myself I could beat it under the amount of time it would take for my save file to bloat up to the point that the issues start. Crazy.

Did this sound better in your head? What a shit example.

Its just as dumb of an example as saying NV is a bethesda game lmfao. Max Payne and bullet time and noir themes are what made Max Payne 1+2 by Remedy therefore even though Rockstar developed 3, they used the character, the major gameplay hook, noir themes, pain killers. All that stuff Remedy came up with so its basically a Remedy game.

NV is nothing like trash tier FO3 or 4. Theres a reason NV is considered one of the best RPGs of all time and 3 and 4 arent. The reason NV is ranked up high has zero to do with Bethesda.
It's my favorite game of all time I think; definitely my favorite RPG, and that's not a statement I make lightly. Have over 700 hours logged in since getting it Day 1 on PC. Every time I upgrade or build a new rig I'm sure to dump a few dozen more hours in it making some characters.
Thats the ticket!

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
I think it's time for my near re-annual play of this game.

Anyone have a complete "you have a nice computer & have played this game a lot of times" all in one mod package they recommend?

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Using ONLY VATS is boring and slows down the pace too much for my taste. But it's first person, this is why I expect intense combat; I have lots of guns and I shoot lots of things, especially to solve many problems or to "amplify" my character's "opinion", so this makes for some potential cool shooter elements. And if such elements exist I want them to be good. But they aren't anymore :( I don't expect Vanquish style combat, of course. That's why I said even Fallout 4 level gunplay would suffice just about, and it is the bare minimum I expect from anything even close to a shooter or offering such elements.
Not to mention that VATS feels like cheating, less so in NV, but still! Anyway it's more fun to dump the associated stat and go for iron sights instead. I think the combat is fine, it has extreme enemy reactions compared to other shooters and the weapon variation goes a long way. Stiff and floaty movement is a bigger issue for me with this engine.