• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
We can't all have good taste. And I'm referring to you, before you try something clever.

Eh, I understand why people like it but..
I don't think the writing is that clever. In fact, I find it to pretty dull, but FO3 and FO4 have dull writing too.
But at least, FO3 and FO4 have interesting worlds and cool atmosphere, two things New Vegas totally lacks. It doesn't feel post-apocalyptic or like a western, it's just.. so bland to me ?
I would love to love it, Westerns and Post-apocalyptic stuff are my favorite things, but for some reason, New Vegas just don't click with me in any way.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
The best Fallout game made, despite all the issues. To think they did this with only 18 months Dev time.

Now imagine what they can achieve with a bigger budget, time and creative freedom. To say I'm excited doesn't cut it.
The best writers on NV (Avellone, Gonzalez, and Fenstermaker) have all left Obsidian since then though.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Obsidian did something Beth never could with Fallout : understanding the license

F3, 4 and 76 are so laughably bad like I don't even know they sold to begin with. I mean nevermind, oblivion did sell very well too.

New Vegas is a special game

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the writing is that clever. In fact, I find it to pretty dull, but FO3 and FO4 have dull writing too.
But at least, FO3 and FO4 have interesting worlds and cool atmosphere, two things New Vegas totally lacks. It doesn't feel post-apocalyptic or like a western, it's just.. so bland to me ?
I would love to love it, Westerns and Post-apocalyptic stuff are my favorite things, but for some reason, New Vegas just don't click with me in any way.

Well that wasn't a very good explanation. We'll have to try this later.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would pay a lot of money for a 1:1 New Vegas remake off of that terrible engine they were forced to use.

Give me New Vegas in Unreal
There already a mod in progress that take F4 engine for NV

Also you said "
In my opinion, it's by far the best Fallout game ever released and one of the best RPGs ever made. The amount of choice you had to make the story yours was incredible and has yet to be matched.

Obsidian were the original developers of Fallout"

First of all, let be honest here, Fallout 2 was the best fallout game hands down, but New Vegas was a close second.

And to be fair, saying Obisidian are the original devs is almost like saying the Bioware studio right now is the same studio that made Baldur's Gate, Jade empire, Kotor

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
There already a mod in progress that take F4 engine for NV

Also you said "
In my opinion, it's by far the best Fallout game ever released and one of the best RPGs ever made. The amount of choice you had to make the story yours was incredible and has yet to be matched.

Obsidian were the original developers of Fallout"

First of all, let be honest here, Fallout 2 was the best fallout game hands down, but New Vegas was a close second.

And to be fair, saying Obisidian are the original devs is almost like saying the Bioware studio right now is the same studio that made Baldur's Gate, Jade empire, Kotor

Obsidian still is great tho. Not a single bad game since the more than divisive Alpha Protocol so idk what you're on about

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i remember first playing it in 2012 having no idea what Fallout was, i just liked Skyrim and knew it was tangentially connected. picked up the 360 version for like $10 and was completely blown away... game was obviously held together with duct tape and tin foil even by 2010 standards but dear lord was it amazing. i'd no idea rpgs could be like that

mrpookles

Oct 29, 2017
Played the shit out of it on 360. I would pay a lot of money for a Switch version.

I still think I prefer 3 to NV, though. Maybe purely for nostalgia.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Got it back on release, but never played it as much as 3. Even with all the additions and unique weapon loot, I didn't find the world as compelling to explore. The writing was smarter of course, but I think something about its style grated on me. I wasn't in love with 3 for its writing though.

I'd like to check it out again, ideally with better/smoother performance, but Bethesda doesn't seem keen on remastering/porting anything not called Skyrim.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
A tremendous achievement by Obsidian. Managed to shake off the crummy parts of Fallout 3, keep the good, and make it be Fallout again. While not exactly up to snuff compared to 1 and 2, it was step in the right direction. People give the engine crap but at least it allowed them to crank it out fairly quickly.

And to think at the time Obsidian was denied their bonus when the game scored an 84 average on Metacritic rather than the needed 85 (or whatever it was).

"[Fallout: New Vegas] was a straight payment, no royalties, only a bonus if we got an 85+ on Metacritic, which we didn't,"

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dead Money is still my favorite experience of any video game ever.

Understandably controversial, but to me, was just perfect in its new take on gameplay potential that can exist in the Fallout setting.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope being owned by Microsoft helps Obsidian make a game like this again.

It's not important that it's a Fallout game. Just something similiar.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Truly one of my favorite games of all time. After getting the NCR Ranger combat armor and its various variants, I never changed my appearance cuz it felt the most badass out of all of the armors.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It was one of the first games I've worked on, good times.
Had a playable build available 6 months before it released.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I really do need to go back to it one of these days.
I put in 74 hours according to Steam, and I didn't even finish it. I was in the middle of the DLC where you get dragged and dropped off at that location.. you know what I'm talking about

Some of the funniest characters were in that DLC and for some reason I had dropped it off then and never went back to it.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
still the best RPG in the last 10 years. also my most replayed game due to the high quality of its RPG design that lends to that replayability, you can play such a wide spectrum of imaginable characters, because its RPG mechanics and world interaction design that interfaces with that, whether quests, environments, chararacters, etc is so well done.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
A real achievement in writing and world design. It did such a good job with painting in shades of gray that the karma system felt woefully out of place. One of my favorite WRPG's.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Obsidian still is great tho. Not a single bad game since the more than divisive Alpha Protocol so idk what you're on about
Pillars of eternity and tirany isn't their best game, and that was when they had only total freedom for their creation

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
If the gunplay weren't so fucking outdated I'd play this over and over. Unfortunately, and as a long time Fallout fan it breaks my heart to admit it, I can't play it anymore after so many great shooters this generation. I just can't. Let alone all the walking (without a sprint button/feature I had to add via mod) that gets boring more often. But I still have so many great memories when I played it back then when it was released. If it were just smaller and the content more tightly packed, everything a bit smaller in physical scale, and the gunplay only on par with Fallout 4... that would be enough to get me interested again.

But thanks to Obsidian there's something coming. Really excited for TOW.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If the gunplay weren't so fucking outdated I'd play this over and over. Unfortunately, and as a long time Fallout fan it breaks my heart to admit it, I can't play it anymore after so many great shooters this generation. I just can't.

But.....what....it's not a shooter? You use VATS for the combat encounters.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Pillars of eternity and tirany isn't their best game, and that was when they had only total freedom for their creation
PoE and PoE2 is arguably their best work. Tyranny is a solid 80+ RPG with a smaller scope than some of their other work, still among the best RPGs when compared to the competition.

Now if you had mentioned Dungeon Siege III you could have had a point.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I've put a crazy amount of hours into this game. One of the greatest RPGs ever made. I hope Outer Worlds is aiming for the king.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PoE and PoE2 is arguably their best work. Tyranny is a solid 80+ RPG with a smaller scope than some of their other work, still among the best RPGs when compared to the competition.

Now if you had mentioned Dungeon Siege III you could have had a point.
Maybe it's me but i just couldn't get into pillars main story. The characters were nice but that "reading mind" gameplay i couldn't care less, sad because i would had love to love it

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played it way too close to Fallout 3, so I really wasn't feeling another game like it. Too bad because everything around it was amazing, I just didn't like playing it.

Oct 25, 2017
It is the game that I both:

a) think is the greatest game of all time.
b) think is the game that made me decide that performance in a game is like punctuation in a composition; not nearly the most important thing in the finished product except for in the cases where it is so bad that it renders the whole product unplayable/incomprehensible.

Nov 1, 2017
I liked the game but I didn't think it was as great as most people say, the Vegas strip for example is incrediably lacking. Be it people or attractions, it felt like a small place instead of this grand one. That said I did appreciate that the game gave you lots of options for an ending compared to Fallout 3. I went with the no masters anarchy one.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see this on Switch. Would like nice next to Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, both Baldurs Gates, and the eventual Switch version of the Outer Worlds.

Best Fallout game.

And oh, the memories...

PzJnYiR.jpg
I'll never forget the first time I started the game and was like "Hey there's Vegas over there, i'll go straight there. Oh, Cazadors? Oh these things can't possibly be that bad OH JESUS"

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The world in F4 is nice visually, but it's bad in just about every other way. Nothing but monster dungeons and a few disappointing settlements.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best games of all time, I haven't even properly played it since release but it's remained an easy top 10 game since then for me. it's pretty much going to feel like a fresh experience when I eventually go back to it and I can't wait.