• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Fallout: New Vegas was released 9 years ago today. It was released in a pretty buggy state, and initially wasn't met with as much praise as Fallout 3

The game had a notoriously short development cycle of only 18 months, but that didn't stop it from being an incredible game.

In my opinion, it's by far the best Fallout game ever released and one of the best RPGs ever made. The amount of choice you had to make the story yours was incredible and has yet to be matched.

Obsidian were the original developers of Fallout but for a number of reasons lost the right to make the game to Bethesda. As soon as they got the rights back, they made the best Fallout and once again proved that no one can do it better. Happy Birthday New Vegas.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best western RPGs ever made. If only Bethesda weren't a bunch of idiots, we could have had a great fallout game this gen from Obsidian.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One of the best western RPGs ever made. If only Bethesda weren't a bunch of idiots, we could have had a great fallout game this gen from Obsidian.

While not on the same scale, TOW seems like Obsidian making a Fallout game not named fallout.

A lot of the dev team is gone so it won't be the same but it looks similar.

JohnnyEnglish

Apr 15, 2018

Maybe so, but it's nice that Obsidian gets to make their own game that's similar to Fallout. The tone isn't the same, but the same gameplay and choices are still there.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
While not on the same scale, TOW seems like Obsidian making a Fallout game not named fallout.

A lot of the dev team is gone so it won't be the same but it looks similar.
Which is why I'm excited about the outer worlds. Hopefully with MS funding we can get something on a similar scale (or even bigger) to New Vegas. The studio judging by PoE still has it, they just need a bigger funding and MS has the money.

data

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite Fallouts.

I hope they can knock it out of the park with The Outer World so that we can get more open/semi open games from Obsidian

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would pay a lot of money for a 1:1 New Vegas remake off of that terrible engine they were forced to use.

Give me New Vegas in Unreal

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely one of the best RPG's I've ever played. I did have my share of technical issues and bugs but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Top 5 best games ever made imo. Every time I think about it I want to install it again. Not even the crashing and bugs can stop that.

Duraigo

Nov 28, 2017
Learned about the game after a few years due to a video by Criken2 called Wild Wild Wasteland. Got the game because of that video, and F:NV has become one of my favorite games of all time.

To the town of Agua Fria rode a stranger one fine day....

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I am a Fallout fan but was pretty busy with my life falling apart at the time, so I completely missed any hype/marketing. Was walking through a Target when I saw this on the shelf and went "oh shit, a new Fallout?" Picked it up and was treated with the best 3D RPG I've ever played.

And that was on launch with a 360, so it was bug-city. That's how good the game is.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I've still never finished this. I got to the point where you can essentially pick who to help and due to indecision and wanting to keep saves so I can go back and see the other endings it just got left on the to do pile :(

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Still one of my all time favorite games, I could pick it up again in 2019 and still have an amazing time.

Xanfrabot

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Best Fallout game.

And oh, the memories...

PzJnYiR.jpg

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, didn't realize, and I just started replaying this afternoon because it released on Game Pass.

I wonder what Yes Man I'm gonna team up with this time.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
This, and Witcher 3, are the only Western RPGs to have spots on my top ten (or even top 25, honestly) RPG list.

I gave Fallout 3 several attempts but it never really clicked with me, so I dismissed New Vegas when I first heard about it. Then I was listening to a podcast - I think it was 1up's Active Time Babble - and they mentioned that it was a retro-sci-fi-western and that sounded so amazing to me that I went ahead and bought it on launch day. I can't believe how much time I've spent with the game. I don't even really chance up my character build - one time I tried something slightly different, but the rest of the time I go for rifles (This Machine, baby), lockpicking, hacking, and speech above all else.

The only major downside to the game, for me, was the first DLC. Everything about it rubbed me the wrong way, especially taking away all my stuff at the beginning. I really enjoyed the others, though, especially Old World Blues.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Would love a touch-up release on PC (like what KotOR II got a bit back) just to be able to play on modern computers/resolutions more easily out of the box.

Silver9

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
One of the best games of all time. Starting town was fun to play, I loved that robot going around in town. Companions were good too. Especially that little fella ED-E flying around you. Factions system is so good. Just join whoever you want. Don't forget about mods though. I still remember the bounty one. It was really fun going around and killing bounties. You can download guns, armor, house, new companions. Mods made Elder Scrolls way better for me and i can say the same thing about this Obsidian game. I am excited for their new game Outer Worlds.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I've tried probably 4 times to get into this. Played through all of FO3, but the glowing reviews and adoration for NV always has me intrigued. I have definitely spent more time modding NV than ever playing it. I don't think I ever had a character surpass level 6.

Help?

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Loved the game, probably my 2nd favorite Fallout game after Fallout 3. The way the factions worked was great, only regret is that I never got the dlc and I heard they were great.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
So glad MS made BC possible so I can replay this after my 360 died.

Oct 26, 2017
I still having pending to play a second playthrough. Does anyone have at hand a link to to a ready to use mega pack of mods?

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've tried probably 4 times to get into this. Played through all of FO3, but the glowing reviews and adoration for NV always has me intrigued. I have definitely spent more time modding NV than ever playing it. I don't think I ever had a character surpass level 6.

Help?

What don't you like

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Going to New Vegas straight out of Goodsprings with less than an hour played, that was a nice thrill the first time around lol

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It's a great game but I prefer Bethesda's take on the franchise. I'm more into exploration and the more linear Obsidian style makes the world feel small. New Vegas feels like it's not really open world.

I get why others praise it, and I like aspects of it, but I'd take F03 or FO4 over it anyday.

My favorite thing about New Vegas is the NCR ranger outfit on the cover.