• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pz2x4dGuJg1t6qjl4o1_500.png

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
"I'll pay up for the Premium just to show those lowly peasants their place with dance moves. NOTHING can go wrong with this plan".

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
"Fallout 1st players are easily identifiable by their icons, their covetable gear, and special moves only available to top-paying members. Even doing one of those special dances is license for a beatdown now, said one player who claimed to have been "beaten up when I decided to do the Mothman emote [a premium-only dance move] in Vault 51. At least 5 -7 people in teddy bear costumes kept punching me."

LMFAO.

I was just about posting this video lol

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Just sell an insurance policy in the Atom Shop: for 2000 atoms you get Brotherhood of Steel protection. Whenever a non-premium player dares lay hands on a Fallout 1st Player, an armored Brotherhood airship will swoop in and strafe the rabble into a bloody pulp (one time use, buy in bulk for extra discount!)

It's all about giving the player options.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018
Going out of your way to make other players suffer is the very definition of griefing, which is a symptom of a toxic community.
When the community is split in two and starts to fight amongst themselves over a subscription service, you can guarantee the community is becoming toxic. Outside of the game as well. Now, you could say this is Bethesda's fault for leaving the game in the current state, but players are not forced to hunt premium subscribers for some twisted sense of vendetta. It's not going to stop Bethesda from having a premium subscription, at best they will make changes to the game to protect subscribers.

Agreed, this could very easily backfire on the people celebrating and doing this as we've seen so many times when gamers decided to target the most easy targets because their upset with a company. Not to mention that a lot of this expensive DLC is usually targeted at people with issues with FOMO and addictive personalities and not rich people with money to spend.

Fallout 76 is a crappy game no doubt about, but this is not the way to express this, it's Bethesda fault, not the players.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Going out of your way to make other players suffer is the very definition of griefing, which is a symptom of a toxic community.
When the community is split in two and starts to fight amongst themselves over a subscription service, you can guarantee the community is becoming toxic. Outside of the game as well. Now, you could say this is Bethesda's fault for leaving the game in the current state, but players are not forced to hunt premium subscribers for some twisted sense of vendetta. It's not going to stop Bethesda from having a premium subscription, at best they will make changes to the game to protect subscribers.

Targeting players is toxicity period

JFC the mental gymnastics here

Targeting players who are spending $13 for a game they may legitimately enjoy is not toxic?

I personally see it as toxic going by the way I've seen people use the word before, no. Or rather, if it is every single MMORPG or any game that allows you to kill/rob/whatever someone else I've ever played is absurdly toxic. Toxic for me is something like LoL or CoD which are games I love playing but end up playing very little because of the constant harrassing I'm subjected to for being a woman (avoid overtly female usernames, gals) or because I'm not playing at the skill level someone wants me to be. That is completely unrelated to the game itself, in a game like Fallout as far as I see it this is part of how the actual game is supposed to be played, no?
Not trying to be disingenuous here, I've just never seen toxic used in such a context but maybe it's just ignorance on my behalf and if so I'd very much appreciate it if you'd point it out!

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Lmao good. Anyone who buys into this insulting bullshit deserves to get griefed. It's fairly harmless fun, guys, nobody is bawling their eyes out over getting killed in FO

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in a game like Fallout as far as I see it this is part of how the actual game is supposed to be played, no?
Not trying to be disingenuous here, I've just never seen toxic used in such a context but maybe it's just ignorance on my behalf and if so I'd very much appreciate it if you'd point it out!
So part of how the actual game is supposed to be played is to grief players who wanted these extra benefits? Interesting

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I personally see it as toxic going by the way I've seen people use the word before, no. Or rather, if it is every single MMORPG or any game that allows you to kill/rob/whatever someone else I've ever played is absurdly toxic. Toxic for me is something like LoL or CoD which are games I love playing but end up playing very little because of the constant harrassing I'm subjected to for being a woman (avoid overtly female usernames, gals) or because I'm not playing at the skill level someone wants me to be. That is completely unrelated to the game itself, in a game like Fallout as far as I see it this is part of how the actual game is supposed to be played, no?
No one is arguing that being able to kill other players is toxic, that is silly. People are saying rampant griefing is toxic. When a group of players is actively targeting another group, that is not a game feature, that is a community trait. In this case, killing other players becomes harassment when they are actually being hunted for being premium subscribers. Griefing is a actually an issue devs try to tackle when developing their multiplayer games, because it's completely caused by the players and it's something that could hamper people's enjoyment.

itt: people defending rich kids butthurt that their privilege cant protect them from the common people.
Paying $12.99/month for something hardly qualifies as being rich, so if you're going to bring actual class conflict into this, at least have the notion that this ain't it, chief. We're in a gaming forum, we're all privileged enough to be able to spend money on something as frivolous as games.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
I mean...PvP is a system built into the game, and Bethesda themselves wanted there to be players acting as Raiders

Raiders raiding players who are marked as 'elite' shouldn't be surprising, and works within the systems in the game

Besides, can't you opt out of PvP in this game? (I could be wrong)

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's all fun and games in the pretend post-apocalypse until you get a first-hand reminder of the intersection between inequality and human nature that is a cornerstone of the genre.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for the people who paid the extra money only to get a target on their back, but I can't help but laugh at how everything Bethesda does with this game seems to blow up in their face.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 76: $60*

Fallout First: $100

Being able to tell that story about the time you were pummeled by an angry gang of bears: priceless

*yes I know you can get it for less that's not the point neeeeeerd

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Fallout 76: $60*

Fallout First: $100

Being able to tell that story about the time you were pummeled by an angry gang of bears: priceless

*yes I know you can get it for less that's not the point neeeeeerd
It makes me sad to think that people have dumped $160 (or more, hello Atom Shop) into this dumpster fire of a game.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I support stuff like this in online games tbh, it reminds me of all the stories i read/videos i watched about the insane stuff that happens in EVE Online

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
So part of how the actual game is supposed to be played is to grief players who wanted these extra benefits? Interesting

I've never played it, I have no idea... but having played Fallout 1, 2, 3 and New Vegas I assume actively targetting others is part of the game, no? This sort of stuff was already around back when I played UO in the late 90s and is something I've seen in every MMORPG I've ever played (none at all for the past 13 years, admittedly) that allows for it. That the targetting stems from external causes could indeed classify it as something else but since these external causes have direct implications within the game itself (and only there) I honestly don't see what's so out of place here. Also, what's with the derisive tone, are we teenagers here?

No one is arguing that being able to kill other players is toxic, that is silly. People are saying rampant griefing is toxic. When a group of players is actively targeting another group, that is not a game feature, that is a community trait. In this case, killing other players becomes harassment when they are actually being hunted for being premium subscribers. Griefing is a actually an issue devs try to tackle when developing their multiplayer games, because it's completely caused by the players and it's something that could hamper people's enjoyment.

I've never played any MMO where such things are possible (and not optional such as in WoW) without rampant griefing then. I completely agree it's not a positive since that's exactly why I stopped playing such games in general (I stick to Soulsbornes and Monster Hunter for my online stuff since those have fantastic communities and don't even allow for targetted griefing at all) as I've always assumed these things are just par for the course and part of the appeal for those who play them in such games.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played it, I have no idea... but having played Fallout 1, 2, 3 and New Vegas I assume actively targetting others is part of the game, no? This sort of stuff was already around back when I played UO in the late 90s and is something I've seen in every MMORPG I've ever played (none at all for the past 13 years, admittedly) that allows for it. That the targetting stems from external causes could indeed classify it as something else but since these external causes have direct implications within the game itself (and only there) I honestly don't see what's so out of place here. Also, what's with the derisive tone, are we teenagers here?
Get out with that defensive tone jab and the "are we teenagers here?"

nice personal attack. Classy stuff

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably my favorite thing I've heard come out of this whole fallout 76 shit show over the last year.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 1st players are easily identifiable by their icons, their covetable gear, and special moves only available to top-paying members. Even doing one of those special dances is license for a beatdown now, said one player who claimed to have been "beaten up when I decided to do the Mothman emote [a premium-only dance move] in Vault 51. At least 5 -7 people in teddy bear costumes kept punching me."

ok i lost it here, lol

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Inquiring about your derisive (not defensive) tone ≠ ad hominem. Don't be disingenuous...
That's not much better tbh esp since I thought it was an interesting concept that the game was "supposed" to be griefing players.
nice to dodge the shaded maturity comment

who's being disingenuous? I kinda think we're done here as since you are going for just straight up personal attacks now

have a good day

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't reply to me you filthy poor casual

Do I have to honestly put /s on that ridiculous statement, come on.

Yes. This is ERA afterall, and a bunch of the posts before yours are basically unironically saying what you said in jest. Like the genius below.

itt: people defending rich kids butthurt that their privilege cant protect them from the common people.

Where do you live that paying the cost of a fast food meal for a service makes you rich and privileged? And the common people, really?

Some of you guys need to lay off the pipe.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. This is ERA afterall, and a bunch of the posts before yours are basically unironically saying what you said in jest. Like the genius below.

Where do you live that paying the cost of a fast food meal for a service makes you rich and privileged? And the common people, really?

Some of you guys need to lay off the pipe.
Fair enough :)