• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018
Yes, people still play Fallout 76, Bethesda releases 2020 Year in Review
Fallout 76 apparently had quite the year.
www.windowscentral.com

Yes, people still play Fallout 76, Bethesda releases 2020 Year in Review

Fallout 76 apparently had quite the year.

2020 has obviously been one of the most difficult years in modern history, but it has been intensely rewarding to see millions of you come together in Fallout 76's Appalachia to meet your friends, make new ones, and go on adventures together, in the safety of the virtual world we share.

And we've been with you, playing alongside you and hearing your feedback in real time. Your commitment and love for the game has helped us to continually grow and evolve Fallout 76. And 2020 brought some of the biggest changes and evolutions yet. We're thankful that so many of you have found a safe place with friends here in Fallout 76, and we want to take a moment to reflect on the year we had together, while also looking forward to our plans for an even bigger and better 2021.

This year we launched Wastelanders, Steel Dawn, and added a ton of new features into the game, including Seasons, One Wasteland, which re-leveled the entire game, and our new Daily Ops expansion. Among a host of other things to keep you busy this winter, like C.A.M.P. Shelters. All for free, and all because you keep on playing. Sending us feedback. Posting pictures of your amazing C.A.M.P.s, telling us stories about your harrowing encounters, and coming together as a community to share, build, and grow this game together.

Because of this new, free content, and your work building the most positive and supportive community in games, we've seen a dramatic rise in players in 2020, both new and returning veterans.

Fallout 76 made major strides this year, but there's so much more we still want to bring to this game and the community. We've already begun working on a variety of features, events, quests, and quality-of-life improvements that we plan to implement next year, and we can't wait to share more about each new update as we approach them throughout 2021.

F76_Infographic-04-EN.png

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Top 5 Popular Quests: Event - Defend Workshop

thats funny and sad

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's great that developers aren't abandoning these train wrecks at launch, and continuing to support them.

But I'm tired of these horrific AAA launches from devs like Bethesda and CDPR. Video games should be fully functional on day 1. No excuses. We aren't paying to be your beta testers.

Last edited:

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I may need to jump in. I was replaying fallout 4 a couple of months ago and I'm hitching for a new adventure in that world

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It's great that developers aren't abandoning these train wrecks at launch, and continuing to supporting them.

But I'm tired of these horrific AAA launches from devs like Bethesda and CDPR. Video games should be fully functional on day 1. No excuses. We aren't paying to be your beta testers.

Its a great way to save money. Just buy it 1 year later on the cheap and bam money saved and fixed game.

But yeah I agree. They shouldnt, but people keep eating it up.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get back in and actually do the new content. I got too into trying to complete the original main quest when I really should have just moved onto thew new stuff.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I still don't think the game is great (it's 'fine') but it is commendable to see Bethesda's team here stick to their multiple roadmaps, bring an even balance of 'new content' and reworking/tweaking underlying game systems, and slowly raise the project out of the gutter it was dropped in.

They've even got some nice things planned for 2021.
fallout.bethesda.net

Fallout 76 | Fallout 76: Inside the Vault – Season 3 and Quality-of-Life Update Previews

This week, we’re previewing Fallout 76 Season 3, and sharing an early look at our first update in 2021. We’ve also got details on the Holiday Scorched event and an upcoming charity stream.

Happy to keep the game installed. I like to poke around in it periodically.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
It's cool that Fallout 76 has clicked with a lot of people. I played it for a bit on my ps4 but eventually fell off. If they ever make an ersatz single player mode available for free, I'll probably jump back in.

Fallout 4 is so fucking good 🍆

Literally the most misguided hatred for a game I've ever seen.

I'm definitely going to jump back in if it ever gets added to Game Pass. It's not as deep as other Fallout games, but I've been it twice on the PS4 and enjoyed it quite a bit both times. Would love to play it at 60fps on the Series X, but not really interested in re-buying it. Definitely did not agree with most of the hate it got, but I'm also someone who doesn't gush over F:NV the way that a lot of people do.

Drakey

Apr 19, 2019
Got it on sale early this year.
It's a fun game, but sooner or later you need Fallout 1st.
The stash limit sucks hard.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I have to wonder how much Gamepass helped this game. Anecdotally, when it hit Gamepass several people I knew who were hating on the game before tried it out and most of them really loved it, so I wonder whether or not that was a common occurrence or not

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, it's really come a long way. I highly recommend anyone who write it off back in 2018 giving it another shot.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
I really enjoyed the free week pass, so tempted to buy but didn't. will pick up when I finally get a ps5, performance was quite bad on PS4.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I keep looking at this game, but really I just want to play Fallout 4. I hope they get it on GPU soon. Seem's inevitable with the acquisition

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Yep yep. We're all still trucking along. It scratches an itch for me that no other game can.

As much as I complain and wish the game was better, scratching an itch is exactly what it does. My character, my weapons I've spent hundreds of hours amassing, the power fantasy. It fills a hole in my gamer heart that other more involved MMO/MMO lite games just don't or take to much time to reach. It helps that it's primarily a solo experience which is a huge plus for me.

That said, complaint time. Bethesda, 2021 better include some non story content with meat on it's bones. I've given up on expecting a legendary balance patch, but please god, don't just keep making single player quests

Last edited:

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Did it receive a series X patch?

I played this on the X for over 300 hours this year and I want to resume it once I get my series X next week.

Any improvements or is a patch still in progress?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I keep looking at this game, but really I just want to play Fallout 4. I hope they get it on GPU soon. Seem's inevitable with the acquisition

It was on gamepass for a year until 76 replaced it. Who knows when it will come back, but in the meantime, 76 is the exact same gameplay loop of 4 but on a more interesting map. It will literally scratch the same itch

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I really enjoyed the free week pass, so tempted to buy but didn't. will pick up when I finally get a ps5, performance was quite bad on PS4.

It runs great on PS5. It's still 30fps, but it's totally locked and everything is smooth as silk. Moving through the menus no longer feels like you are covered in molasses. The load times are insane. 6 seconds flat to fast travel. Traveling to my camp, every item is loaded and in place before i get there.

As much as I complain and wish the game was better, scratching an itch is exactly what it does. My character, my weapons I've spent hundreds of hours amassing, the power fantasy. It fills a hole in my gamer heart that other more involved MMO/MMO lite games just don't or take to much time to reach. It helps that it's primarily a solo experience which is a huge plus for me.

That said, complaint time. Bethesda, 2021 better inside some non story content with meat on it's bones. I've given up on expecting a legendary balance patch, but please god, don't just keep making single player quests

Yeah, it's the best solo play in a multiplayer game.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Did it receive a series X patch?

I played this on the X for over 300 hours this year and I want to resume it once I get my series X next week.

Any improvements or is a patch still in progress?

They haven't announced anything. That said, just being BC on next gen means that it's a locked 30fps and if played on internal SSD, 3 second fast travels and 8 seconds to load into a world. Zero lag in any menus, etc. It's how the game should have played. If we are lucky they might remove the framerate cap to run at 60, but I doubt they will mess with many sliders after that.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I jumped in when Wastelanders was released and I love it. To me, it's basically Fallout 4 with multiplayer and constant updates/content (though I still love playing Fallout 4 too).

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
They haven't announced anything. That said, just being BC on next gen means that it's a locked 30fps and if played on internal SSD, 3 second fast travels and 8 seconds to load into a world. Zero lag in any menus, etc. It's how the game should have played. If we are lucky they might remove the framerate cap to run at 60, but I doubt they will mess with many sliders after that.

Hey just knowing that the eternal "menu and weapon switch" lag + massively improved loading times are already there due to sheer brute force is enough!

NICE!

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
It was a great year for FO76 and easily my most played game. I really hope they have Series X and PS5 updates in the pipeline because I need that 60fps.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017

The locked 30 and quick load times are awesome. I do hope they release a 60fps patch. I'd be completely happy if that's all they did.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder how much Gamepass helped this game. Anecdotally, when it hit Gamepass several people I knew who were hating on the game before tried it out and most of them really loved it, so I wonder whether or not that was a common occurrence or not

I felt that Wastelanders and the Steam release was the start of the turnaround as I'd assume that not that many had the Bethesda launcher.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I played a ton of it earlier this year but dropped off before the one wasteland update. I much prefer it to the more story-based entries. I'm there to survive an apocalypse, I don't care about finding a baby or whatever.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Did they do a sweeping weapon balance yet or are there still a lot of straight trash weapons and legendary effects?

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
I think it's somehow managed to become my most played game this gen with over 1000 hours now. 2 years later and it's still the buggiest, worst performing game I've ever played but somehow I can't get enough of it. I did take a short break after I finished up season 2 but now that season 3's started up and the Steel Dawn update is live I'm pretty much on every day again.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
It was on gamepass for a year until 76 replaced it. Who knows when it will come back, but in the meantime, 76 is the exact same gameplay loop of 4 but on a more interesting map. It will literally scratch the same itch

I admittedly haven't looked much into it, but I assumed 76 would be MMO-like in it's mechanics and feel - bullet sponge enemies, latency issues etc. Kind of like playing Skyrim vs playing ES Online?

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I played quite a bit this year on PS4. I had fun, but performance gets really bad in certain areas. Hope the game is popular enough for them to put out a PS5 patch. 60 FPS would be enough to get me back in.

Jul 26, 2018
I see quite a few positive comments above, I just started it this week because it's on GP so why not. Im curious, what do you guys spend most of the time doing in game? Building, scavenging, quests? I don't have friends with the fame so I'm playing it solo.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I had purchased on Steam a few months back. Put about 100 hours in and have quite a few store items and subbed to F1st for a month for the stash upgrade and atom points. If the game had cross save or let me take all my Atoms to Xbox I would do it, as I recently purchased a Series X and love the system.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
I reinstalled this earlier this week and just couldn't get over how janky it felt. :/

Really want to like this one, any pointers, Era?

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 Popular Quests: Event - Defend Workshop

thats funny and sad

I think its cause, from what I remember, the workshops allow you to farm different types of mats you need for things, and when u are farming the resources with a generator and stuff that will suck out resources over time in the workshop area, u gotta defend it as while ur getting stuff, it will randomly get attacked over and over. So i could see how that would be number 1 due to people probably always farming resources.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I think its cause, from what I remember, the workshops allow you to farm different types of mats you need for things, and when u are farming the resources with a generator and stuff that will suck out resources over time in the workshop area, u gotta defend it as while ur getting stuff, it will randomly get attacked over and over. So i could see how that would be number 1 due to people probably always farming resources.
They are easy events to complete for the daily and weekly scoreboard challenges.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Can I do the main story by myself only? Is it worth?
Yes you can. I mean you will see people in the world but you can mostly ignore them and I think there's a pacifist mode. I played about 25 hours and really enjoyed it as just a Fallout game with some very occasional community events I would participate in. Would continue playing it but moved to PC and can't transfer my character.