• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Something else I am struggling with.
I don't feel like I'm levelling at all up because enemies always scale with my level there's no point at which I feel actually stronger than my environment. As an extreme example I'm currently stuck in one mission because the robot assassin at the end just one hit kills me and there's literally nothing I can do about it

Perks/stats/gear matter more than lvls in the game. Levels don't do much of anything anymore

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Something else I am struggling with.
I don't feel like I'm levelling at all up because enemies always scale with my level there's no point at which I feel actually stronger than my environment. As an extreme example I'm currently stuck in one mission because the robot assassin at the end just one hit kills me and there's literally nothing I can do about it
Sounds like your getting lag with the enemy health problem, never had this myself but I have heard others complain about it.
As for levelling once you have sorted a decent build any enemy is super easy to kill, in fact I never understand why so many need the legacy or glitched weapons that wreck the game for all the normal players.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
My randomly put together build would be the problem then.
How do I go about fixing that? I've not really understood or been taught through the game how all these systems and mechanics interact with one another... and I am at level 60 or something.... 😬

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
My randomly put together build would be the problem then.
How do I go about fixing that? I've not really understood or been taught through the game how all these systems and mechanics interact with one another... and I am at level 60 or something.... 😬

You probably want to focus up on a build by choosing a weapon or two type that you want to focus on. Rifles? Heavy Weapons? Automatics? Close combat? You really kind of have to focus your perk choices to one or two specific weapon/attack types to get maximum performance in the game. Take the perk cards that increase it's damage for that weapon type, and get perks that also improve it in other ways like anything that improve armor penetration if available. For like shotguns you got the usual damage bonus perks for shotguns, then you got perks for shotguns that add more cripple effects and staggering. Once you are closer to 50 you can sometimes focus on a 2nd weapon too or got enough points to focus on a backup weapon or if you rather focus on one weapon, you can then toss perks into extra stuff.

Survivability, there is a bunch of perks for this such as extra HP, anything that add damage resist values and bonuses to your defenses like dodge cards.

The main thing is taking less perks that are all over the place and being more focused by stacking perks to a playstyle. Also when you can take advantage to being allowed a 2nd free perk loadout in the game, which you can use for an alternate weapon build or to have like a general play build. For example I got my combat loadout build, then I got an extra build that is purely for crafting and my camp building stuff.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
You probably want to focus up on a build by choosing a weapon or two type that you want to focus on. Rifles? Heavy Weapons? Automatics? Close combat? You really kind of have to focus your perk choices to one or two specific weapon/attack types to get maximum performance in the game. Take the perk cards that increase it's damage for that weapon type, and get perks that also improve it in other ways like anything that improve armor penetration if available. For like shotguns you got the usual damage bonus perks for shotguns, then you got perks for shotguns that add more cripple effects and staggering. Once you are closer to 50 you can sometimes focus on a 2nd weapon too or got enough points to focus on a backup weapon or if you rather focus on one weapon, you can then toss perks into extra stuff.

Survivability, there is a bunch of perks for this such as extra HP, anything that add damage resist values and bonuses to your defenses like dodge cards.

The main thing is taking less perks that are all over the place and being more focused by stacking perks to a playstyle. Also when you can take advantage to being allowed a 2nd free perk loadout in the game, which you can use for an alternate weapon build or to have like a general play build. For example I got my combat loadout build, then I got an extra build that is purely for crafting and my camp building stuff.
Thanks, I feel like I have mostly tried that already adding and cards I can related to Shotguns.
One thing I don't understand for a while now my actual SPECIAL levels have not increased even though I bought e.g. higher tier A cards that I just cannot use because it remains stuck at 1...?

pe60bE0.png

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks, I feel like I have mostly tried that already adding and cards I can related to Shotguns.
One thing I don't understand for a while now my actual SPECIAL levels have not increased even though I bought e.g. higher tier A cards that I just cannot use because it remains stuck at 1...?

pe60bE0.png

For shotguns you want to put more into str and agi has the other good shotgun perks, including the best one "enforcer". You do have a bit of a spread out build so you could tighten it up like do you play alot with other players cause otherwise I would get rid of most of those charisma perks and points, since they are useless perks unless you are teamed up with other players.

Some perks you can also just unequip and put back when you need them, like the lock picking. Those perks take up slots but most of the time you are not lock picking and instead those could be swapped with more active cards giving you actual bonuses for combat. Same can be said for hacking.

You have alot invested in Int which is fine, but lot of that is crafting specific. If you need help in combat I would try to cut back on some of that also. You got a bit of everything under int, so maybe try to move those around to be more combat helpful perks or to up your more action oriented stats.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played in awhile but I have a high strength, high intelligence build that focused on heavy weapons and power armor. It's fun to play. Also get on a team when you start each session, Casual gives you a buff to intelligence I think. That'll help you level up quicker. Outside of that teams don't matter except for allowing you to fast travel to your team mates camps.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England

pe60bE0.png
Loose all the extra carry weight cards,all lock pick,all crafting and scavenger cards.
Stack 15 on Strength with all shotgun perk cards maxed so shotgunner, master shotgunner and expert shotgunner.
Be sure to role explosive shotguns and have Demolition perk maxed at five star also Bloody mess on max.
Would also suggest Action boy/girl on max because shotguns are crap without VATS. Lastly pop a star in to Fireproof or stay back from the enemy when shooting an explosive shotgun.

I did a vid guide on a shotgun build a couple of years ago but that was before Bethesda nurfed shotguns so at this point it's if you want to stay with shotguns.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Loose all the extra carry weight cards,all lock pick,all crafting and scavenger cards.
Stack 15 on Strength with all shotgun perk cards maxed so shotgunner, master shotgunner and expert shotgunner.
Be sure to role explosive shotguns and have Demolition perk maxed at five star also Bloody mess on max.
Would also suggest Action boy/girl on max because shotguns are crap without VATS. Lastly pop a star in to Fireproof or stay back from the enemy when shooting an explosive shotgun.

I did a vid guide on a shotgun build a couple of years ago but that was before Bethesda nurfed shotguns so at this point it's if you want to stay with shotguns.
I already overcumbered all the time though... tbh I am not even sure why because I clear out everyime I go home but just the base of what I am carrying is already 190...

RoadRunnerXS

Avenger
Mar 10, 2019
United States
I played this game a little when it first released and couldn't get into it.

Fast forward to three days ago, and now I'm addicted to it! I put 24 hours into the game over the past three days. I haven't been into a game this much since Dragon Quest Builders 2 last year.

Anyone have any tips for a beginner? Places I should visit as soon as possible; things I should do? How do I go about getting better weapons and armor? I'm level 21 and still using a standard shotgun. What's the best way to get more caps? How about stimpacks? Are they something you have to just buy? I'm completely out and have been using purified water to heal.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
I played this game a little when it first released and couldn't get into it.

Fast forward to three days ago, and now I'm addicted to it! I put 24 hours into the game over the past three days. I haven't been into a game this much since Dragon Quest Builders 2 last year.

Anyone have any tips for a beginner? Places I should visit as soon as possible; things I should do? How do I go about getting better weapons and armor? I'm level 21 and still using a standard shotgun. What's the best way to get more caps? How about stimpacks? Are they something you have to just buy? I'm completely out and have been using purified water to heal.
Early on in game you could buy one of the water purification machine plans from The Whitesprings,set up camp near a pond or river and sell the water.
At level 21 your in no rush, level 50 is weapons cap but tbh at level 50 your character is still very much a noob, it's around 450 all legendary perk cards will be maxed (after a bit of trial and error).
To level quickly put everything in to intelligence! Oh and it's double xp next weekend so don't try killing enemy at events just tag them and let the others do the work.
Always join a casual team.

RoadRunnerXS

Avenger
Mar 10, 2019
United States
Early on in game you could buy one of the water purification machine plans from The Whitesprings,set up camp near a pond or river and sell the water.
At level 21 your in no rush, level 50 is weapons cap but tbh at level 50 your character is still very much a noob, it's around 450 all legendary perk cards will be maxed (after a bit of trial and error).
To level quickly put everything in to intelligence! Oh and it's double xp next weekend so don't try killing enemy at events just tag them and let the others do the work.
Always join a casual team.

Thanks for the tips! I built a few water purifiers and have been collecting purified water steadily. I also found a good way to earn a few extra caps by selling the junk that gives resources I have more than enough of. I'm trying to leave about 100 lbs open in my inventory for junk items.

When I first started out, I was going for a melee build (but I quickly switched to a shotgun build after I heard they're some of the best weapons in the game early on), so I was mostly putting my points into Strength. But I think my intelligence might be 5-6. I know I've put several points into it. I'll try to max it out asap.

I also got Fallout 1st, mainly for the extra atoms, the scrap box and survival tent. It's a little expensive, but I figure I'd probably spend that much anyway on atoms alone, so it's worth it to me.

I was thinking (once I'm super far into the game and have a ton of stuff to sell) of starting a 'dollar tree' of sorts where I sell everything from the most expensive stuff to the ammo, all for 1 cap. Just to help out new players and anyone looking for what I might sell. It was just an idea I had, but I'm nowhere near ready to get into doing that until I'm able to sustain my own character.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking (once I'm super far into the game and have a ton of stuff to sell) of starting a 'dollar tree' of sorts where I sell everything from the most expensive stuff to the ammo, all for 1 cap. Just to help out new players and anyone looking for what I might sell. It was just an idea I had, but I'm nowhere near ready to get into doing that until I'm able to sustain my own character.
Thats what I do in my vendor. All ammo I dont use is 1 cap, known plans 1-10 caps, stimpaks/etc for a couple caps, and so on.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
My thoughts on The Pitt.
Overall good 7/10
Far to easy even solo
Location looks great
Quests decent (bit buggy at the mo)
Whitesprings has been trashed 😂
Actual Vertibird ride a nice touch
Rewards at the mercy of team leader…
Reward list good but pricey
Trogs are pretty solid other enemy not so

I'm sure feedback and fine tuning will have this free dlc in good stead by the time it releases (around November).

RoadRunnerXS

Avenger
Mar 10, 2019
United States
Thats what I do in my vendor. All ammo I dont use is 1 cap, known plans 1-10 caps, stimpaks/etc for a couple caps, and so on.

I thought it'd be a cool idea after I've heard of people leaving a bunch of free stuff in suitcases and random bins for anyone that finds it. :p

If I ever quit the game for good, I'll just leave all my stuff in random containers around the world.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Head up.

Double XP weekend starts in just under nine hours.

Bit of info some newer players may find helpful.
Max intelligence on perk cards, food buffs such as canned meat stew, Broiled Scorchbeast brains,Brain bombs,Cranberry Cobbler are the best ones but also make sure to sleep as soon as you log on and always join a casual team. Berry Mentats gives a short 5 mins boost so always buy them in bulk along with Leader bobbleheads.
Pop Four Lunch boxes or see if a person near you pops them,no point in more than one person popping four of them in the local area.
Do all the above for around 40 intelligence then farm Westek,high level events such as Rad rumble (use quad tesla) and of course drop lots of nukes (3hr silo reset per character)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Head up.

Max intelligence on perk cards, food buffs such as canned meat stew, Broiled Scorchbeast brains,Brain bombs,Cranberry Cobbler are the best ones but also make sure to sleep as soon as you log on and always join a casual team. Berry Mentats gives a short 5 mins boost so always buy them in bulk along with Leader bobbleheads.
Pop Four Lunch boxes or see if a person near you pops them,no point in more than one person popping four of them in the local area.
Do all the above for around 40 intelligence then farm Westek,high level events such as Rad rumble (use quad tesla) and of course drop lots of nukes (3hr silo reset per character)
Thanks and good advice! I might fire it back up this weekend, I'll have the time.

RoadRunnerXS

Avenger
Mar 10, 2019
United States
Head up.

I slept, popped the 4 lunchboxes, ate some canned meat stew, and joined a casual team. I went up almost 5 whole levels from 3 quests!

I'm getting almost 300 xp per kill.

I'll have to check out westek and the rad rumble event. Seems like the easiest way to level is just by killing a lot of enemies, rather than wasting lunchbox time completing quests.

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021
Wow. Didn't realize this thread was so old. Apologies if this seems like a "pointless" bump.

But the gatling gun has long been my favorite weapon in the game, primarily due to ammo efficiency. Recently learned about the trick to increase its ROF, and it's made gameplay way more compelling for me.

On the hunt for a GG with the exploding rounds/additional projectile combo. Anything stand out for the third trait? Kinda figure RW would be the best of the bunch.

Also, I haven't kept up with recent changes (only been back a week after taking a break in February) but I've heard they fixed the exploding rounds "bug" (no longer have to shoot at the ground). Have any perks been changed? Specifically Adrenaline and Bloody Mess. When I last played, there was a school of thought that said you got your most bang for your buck by only investing one point into those perks, rather than maxing them out.

But I watched Angry Turtles' recent video on gatling guns, and it looks like he's maxed both out in his build. So I'm guessing they're now worth the investment?

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Wow. Didn't realize this thread was so old. Apologies if this seems like a "pointless" bump.

But the gatling gun has long been my favorite weapon in the game, primarily due to ammo efficiency. Recently learned about the trick to increase its ROF, and it's made gameplay way more compelling for me.

On the hunt for a GG with the exploding rounds/additional projectile combo. Anything stand out for the third trait? Kinda figure RW would be the best of the bunch.

Also, I haven't kept up with recent changes (only been back a week after taking a break in February) but I've heard they fixed the exploding rounds "bug" (no longer have to shoot at the ground). Have any perks been changed? Specifically Adrenaline and Bloody Mess. When I last played, there was a school of thought that said you got your most bang for your buck by only investing one point into those perks, rather than maxing them out.

But I watched Angry Turtles' recent video on gatling guns, and it looks like he's maxed both out in his build. So I'm guessing they're now worth the investment?
I highly doubt you would be using vats with a gg so seeing as this type of gun is already fast to reload I'd say 90% weight reduction for the third perk. However a Two shot with exploding rounds is classed as a god role so it might be expensive.

As for finding one I'd get rolling because my wife and I have got a lot of exploding gg but only one Two shot version and that's with playing from the pre release tech test.

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021
Hopefully the thread gets a bit more active as we get closer to the content drop.

What's everyone running as a daily driver weapon?

I don't have the PA to facilitate a Bloodied build, and I hate feeling like I'm blowing through ammo, so I'm running an AA/FFR Ultracite gatling laser. Mows through everything except SBQ and Earle, but it's great not having to worry about carrying extra ammo or different cores. Electric Absorption is a godsend. Charge everything up once or twice a week and you're good to go.

Just wish the gun didn't break so damn fast.

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
I'd have to go with my vampire explosive Fixer that I dubbed "Daybreaker" (on the account of the tetiary effect being Breaks 50% Slower). If I am tanking in the D-Ops, I'll put on my Hellcat Overeater's PA armor and use my V/FFR flamer. Decryption becomes absolutely trivial.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the thread gets a bit more active as we get closer to the content drop.

I don't have the PA to facilitate a Bloodied build, and I hate feeling like I'm blowing through ammo, so I'm running an AA/FFR Ultracite gatling laser. Mows through everything except SBQ and Earle, but it's great not having to worry about carrying extra ammo or different cores. Electric Absorption is a godsend. Charge everything up once or twice a week and you're good to go.

I'm in power armor (Secret Service right now) and I usually run a Vampire Gatling laser and switch between a Furious minigun and an Armor Piercing one, can't decide which one is better but I'm leaning towards the Furious one

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Im not a fan of bloodied and how so many use it, but I find vampire stuff works great. Vampire shotgunning is fun, lot of critting and crippling enemies, constantly healing as it seems every pellet of a shotgun blast causes the healing effect, so you are constantly regenerating big values.

For bosses though I stick to a good AP legendary .50 cal and have that as part of my heavy boss build. Open world I mostly like shotguns

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Depends on which character I'm using but my main is a Junkies with explosive junkies handmade.

Best build is a bloodied with a explosive full auto bloodied railway rifle, kills anything instantly but weak as a kitten lol.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017

I use Power Fist (double swing speed) with Shock Pads + all the melee perks, including things like Collateral Damage legendary perks, all the speed and power mutations and Secret Service armor + Handmade and Tesla Rifle for occasional shooting. The build can easy melee solo Earle so it's quite overpowered (albeit silly).

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Vampire shredder minigun and TSE gatling gun see me through most everyday stuff; I have an AA FFR gatling plasma for bosses and a vampire .50 cal for when I need to tank something at range. And a shishkabab for healing NPCS.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
So I just beat the "main" old plot, aka I did I am become death.
Did the whole game solo.
The last mission was a pain in the ass, I kept dying for three hours and I was giving up but I didn't want since I was so near. In the end I managed to do it but holy shit if it was difficult.
Are there similar missions in the game? Because I don't wanna face something like that again.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Did the whole game solo.
The last mission was a pain in the ass, I kept dying for three hours and I was giving up but I didn't want since I was so near. In the end I managed to do it but holy shit if it was difficult.
Are there similar missions in the game? Because I don't wanna face something like that again.

The launching of a nuke is really optional and essentially designed around as an endgame quest so it's tuned for group play. Killing the Queen is technically the end of the main story so you can avoid the whole going to a silo and launching a nuke thing, and just join other players to defeat the finale, but there is no story or special ending as the game doesn't end. The two activities are repeatable and just end game content.

The other wastelander campaign is straight foward and completely solable. And the follow up stuff with the steel legion campaign is also easy to solo.

Oct 27, 2017
Did the whole game solo.
What level were you? Just curious, I can't remember what level I was but was I'm pretty sure I was a high level

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021
Sorry for the noob-ish question, but how do y'all farm plasma cores? I have some really choice gatling plasmas I've picked up along the way, but I've always hated the idea of blowing through cores with no reliable way to farm them up.

Best way through Daily Ops?

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Oh, I didn't realize the ultracite cores were cheaper than normal plasma cores? Is that converting them with Ammo Factory and Ammosmith then?
Yeah, I think it works out to 3 regular plasma cores into nine ultracite ones, all for one flux. And if you have super duper it gets even crazier; I think one time I turned 6 plasma cores into like 30 ultracite one.

EDIT: you get 5ultracite cores for 2 regular ones, 1 piece of pure yellowcake flux, and 1 piece of ultracite.

Last edited: