• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Let's face it the Nuka stuff will get delayed, and so we have a new two week event and a new public event before The Pitt for the whole year.

Sounds like just another seasonal event, I mean if so then only real regular content is Expeditions. So three new events this year. I mean if that is it, then they should be able to deliver? Did they scrap everything else to keep their schedule looking more manageable now? Unlike previous years they aren't listing all these new features coming unless they plan to expand. CAMP pets and 4 star legendaries are just gone?

Also they say "events" plural on all these, yet we know invaders is just one event, and test your metal is also one event. So why are they acting like we are getting multiple with each update?

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
I am personally okay with things getting delayed as there's so much to play for me at the moment outside of FO76 and I jumped ship after completing ~everything the last time, I'd hate to see if even some of those things never materialize though because Fallout 76 is by far the best Fallout Bethdesda has made. At this point my expectations are pretty much zero though.

Like always,

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So IGN has an article that states the Test your Metal update is going to be adding 3 new public events to the game, not just the Test your Metal one being in test now. "Eviction Notice" and "Moonshine Jamboree" are being added in the update so I mean... that's better than just getting a single event as many thought.

They confirm PITT has new NPCs you interact with and give you quests, but not much else new on that.

Scoreboard updates for 1st apparently are going to be more exclusives for 1st members, like unique exclusive challenges, increased score rate, and more ranks just for 1st members. So they are just adding more incentives to the seasons for 1st members.

Nuka World on tour is apparently going to be set around the Ash Heap, where a the Nuka World Tour will set up like a fairgrounds. They aren't clear but it kinda sounds like the new regional world boss will be tied to the Nuka tour and I guess that means it might be a seasonal boss? Not sure folks will like that if they make a new world boss a seasonal event. They don't specify still on the Nuka tour, but hopefully it is just a permanent addition to the game

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
So IGN has an article that states the Test your Metal update is going to be adding 3 new public events to the game, not just the Test your Metal one being in test now. "Eviction Notice" and "Moonshine Jamboree" are being added in the update so I mean... that's better than just getting a single event as many thought.

They confirm PITT has new NPCs you interact with and give you quests, but not much else new on that.

Scoreboard updates for 1st apparently are going to be more exclusives for 1st members, like unique exclusive challenges, increased score rate, and more ranks just for 1st members. So they are just adding more incentives to the seasons for 1st members.

Nuka World on tour is apparently going to be set around the Ash Heap, where a the Nuka World Tour will set up like a fairgrounds. They aren't clear but it kinda sounds like the new regional world boss will be tied to the Nuka tour and I guess that means it might be a seasonal boss? Not sure folks will like that if they make a new world boss a seasonal event. They don't specify still on the Nuka tour, but hopefully it is just a permanent addition to the game
OK I might dare to have a glimmer of hope but still bothered stuff will get delayed.

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021
I'm still new enough to the game where the updates look somewhat exciting/intriguing. Guess we'll see how it actually shakes out, but I'm still trying to nail down a damn build, so I feel like there's so much left in-game to explore/do.

On that note... is there a universal consensus on the "must haves" for a bloodied build? Don't want to fuss with Power Armor, and I've always liked rifles in FO3/NV/4, though I guess they're a bit underpowered in 76? But I don't really like the sneak style of gameplay; hoping to just create something where I'm nigh unkillable, can explore and adventure to my heart's content, and kill anything with minimal fuss.

Playing around with the following, but not sure what I'm missing. There's room to play here:

nukesdragons.com

Character Build Planner & Calculator | Fallout 76 | Nukes & Dragons

Allocate your SPECIAL attributes. Choose your perks and mutations. Know your stats. Examine the leveling options.

Is Dodgy needed? Should I just scrap rifleman altogether? Is VATS needed for a build like this?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I'm still new enough to the game where the updates look somewhat exciting/intriguing. Guess we'll see how it actually shakes out, but I'm still trying to nail down a damn build, so I feel like there's so much left in-game to explore/do.

On that note... is there a universal consensus on the "must haves" for a bloodied build? Don't want to fuss with Power Armor, and I've always liked rifles in FO3/NV/4, though I guess they're a bit underpowered in 76? But I don't really like the sneak style of gameplay; hoping to just create something where I'm nigh unkillable, can explore and adventure to my heart's content, and kill anything with minimal fuss.

Playing around with the following, but not sure what I'm missing. There's room to play here:

nukesdragons.com

Character Build Planner & Calculator | Fallout 76 | Nukes & Dragons

Allocate your SPECIAL attributes. Choose your perks and mutations. Know your stats. Examine the leveling options.

Is Dodgy needed? Should I just scrap rifleman altogether? Is VATS needed for a build like this?
Power armor will grow on you. But it's really the only way to be "unkillable". Plus you don't have to worry about radiation as much. You can walk into nuke zones. Farming power cores is super easy if you just set up a base at a power plant. 99% of the time you will be left alone and can walk away with plenty after an hour or two.

Non automatic rifles are just way underpowered in this game. I'm right there with you. I used to just use rifles in Fallout games before this. But with the gatling plasma and ammo perks I never run out of ammo so really it comes down to fusion cores. Also another bonus with power armor, you very rarely have to repair your armor. It basically doesn't take damage. And when it eventually does after many many hours, just use some repair kits you get every time you beat the Queen.

As for a bloody build without power armor, nerd rage and a set of unyielding armor is basically what you are going to want to aim for.

Dodgy is iffy and many won't use it if not in power armor because it drains your AP. You should only use it with Power armor and a heavy weapon.

Definitely do blocker though.

Honestly you can enjoy the game just fine as is. Do what makes you happy and experiment. Maybe consider a gauss rifle as it is one of the hardest hitting rifles. But if you plan on contributing in boss fights and the like, a rifle build without sneaking and stealth and vats criticals is just not a great way to go.

EDIT:

One exception to the rifle build not being good, is using a plasma rifle with a flamer mod attachment. Especially the enclave plasma rifle with a flamer mod. That thing can wreck everything even those bosses. The enclave plasma is hard to get, but just a regular plasma with the mod is a killer. The down side is range is limited and the weapon breaks fast, but use the gun nut rank 5 and repair kits or better yet, carry a few of them for when one breaks.

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
OK I might dare to have a glimmer of hope but still bothered stuff will get delayed.

If there is QOL and other little things not on the roadmap, like the Camp pets, then it also could help. The map just looks pretty sparse.

The datamine on next season looks good being actual vault themed and possibly they are dropping the comic book shit. Themed scoreboards to the actual game will be amazing and much more attractive to players.

Power armor will grow on you. But it's really the only way to be "unkillable". Plus you don't have to worry about radiation as much. You can walk into nuke zones. Farming power cores is super easy if you just set up a base at a power plant. 99% of the time you will be left alone and can walk away with plenty after an hour or two.

Non automatic rifles are just way underpowered in this game. I'm right there with you. I used to just use rifles in Fallout games before this. But with the gatling plasma and ammo perks I never run out of ammo so really it comes down to fusion cores. Also another bonus with power armor, you very rarely have to repair your armor. It basically doesn't take damage. And when it eventually does after many many hours, just use some repair kits you get every time you beat the Queen.

As for a bloody build without power armor, nerd rage and a set of unyielding armor is basically what you are going to want to aim for.

Dodgy is iffy and many won't use it if not in power armor because it drains your AP. You should only use it with Power armor and a heavy weapon.

Honestly you can enjoy the game just fine as is. Do what makes you happy and experiment. Maybe consider a gauss rifle as it is one of the hardest hitting rifles. But if you plan on contributing in boss fights and the like, a rifle build without sneaking and stealth and vats criticals is just not a great way to go.

EDIT:

One exception to the rifle build not being good, is using a plasma rifle with a flamer mod attachment. Especially the enclave plasma rifle with a flamer mod. That thing can wreck everything even those bosses. The enclave plasma is hard to get, but just a regular plasma with the mod is a killer. The down side is range is limited and the weapon breaks fast, but use the gun nut rank 5 and repair kits or better yet, carry a few of them for when one breaks.

Fixer and Handmades beg to differ on rifles. Semi autos with high rate of fire and good legendary abilities wreck, theres a reason so many people out there using fixers. With right legendaries and full rifle build, you are pretty strong.

Rifle issues are mostly with the fact that so many rifles have a low rate of fire. The semi autos you can fire quickly though put out extremely good DPS. Toss on explosive, two shot, or other legendary combos and they are competitive. Again the problem mainly lies in that so many rifles just kind of suck so you only got a couple viable options

Last edited:

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021

EDIT:

As always, thanks for your replies. Definitely appreciate having someone dig deeper as I figure out perks/mechanics here.

Since Rifleman is really only viable with a specific weapon, and since I have zero interest in sneaking/VATS/crit builds, I'll go the Power Armor/heavy weapon route.

Dumb question, but how important are mutations? And since Starched Genes seems to be mandatory for the bloodied builds, are you getting mutated and equipping the perk after?

And for those of us who are still leveling, any reason to NOT roll in Power Armor as soon as you're able? I get that Fusion Cores are probably scarce in the beginning, but any downside beyond that?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
As always, thanks for your replies. Definitely appreciate having someone dig deeper as I figure out perks/mechanics here.

Since Rifleman is really only viable with a specific weapon, and since I have zero interest in sneaking/VATS/crit builds, I'll go the Power Armor/heavy weapon route.

Dumb question, but how important are mutations? And since Starched Genes seems to be mandatory for the bloodied builds, are you getting mutated and equipping the perk after?

And for those of us who are still leveling, any reason to NOT roll in Power Armor as soon as you're able? I get that Fusion Cores are probably scarce in the beginning, but any downside beyond that?

Rifle is perfectly viable without a sneaky vats build. Go with a fast rate of fire semi like a Fixer, or a Handmade decked with legendaries or even the prime versions for even more damage bonuses. My fixer using rifle build shreds enemies just as fast as my pure heavy build. Again the issue with rifles is so many are too slow firing so they are more suited for long range snipers, but the faster semi auto rifles put out very strong DPS.

Mutations are not needed at all, they can just be fun if your willing to spend perks on keeping them, but if you need to go bloodied then you might care more.

Power Armor biggest disadvantage is not being able to use certain items and carry weight. You can typically carry much more when not wearing power armor cause of backpacks and mods. You really just have more movement freedom outside of power armor, some people will roll always in armor if they got no issue with fusion cores, but I find it cumbersome. If you are gonna stay in power armor, it means you got to spend a bunch of perks on power armor usage so it reduces your build options since you need a bunch of PA focused cards. I keep one standard build, and then I have another build I switch to which is focused on power armor wearing

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Mutations are pretty over powered honestly. You should get them. Strange in numbers perk makes them even stronger. Just have to be in a team.

Top of my head good ones for a heavy build
Marsupial. Can jump crazy high. Even higher with strange in numbers.
Bird bones. Reduce fall damage and can lift in the air longer.
Egg head. 6 plus intelligence
Empath. Reduce damage for you and team members when in a team
Herbivore. Doubles food benefits
Eagle eyes. Give or take but plus 4 perception and crit damage
Scaly skin. Reduce damage.
Speed demon. Move faster and reload weapons faster.
Adrenal reaction. Only if doing a bloody build

All mutations have negative effects but class freak fully maxed basically negates negative effects.

So yeah, what you want to do is take a serum with the starched genes perk unequipped and once you have learned it by taking the serum equip starched genes so you never lose it.

Many player vendors carry the serums. You can buy them from the enclave bunker but they are crazy expensive.

You can also randomly learn them by being radiated to crazy levels but just skip that and buy them from players.

No. No downside to power armor outside of fusion cores and not being able to use vats since it drains vats. With heavy weapons you dont need vats except to search for targets and lock on

You will love a heavy build with a gatling plasma. My record for soloing Earle is 5 minutes and 30 seconds with liquid courage drinks to stop his fear attacks.

Last edited:

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021
Rifle is perfectly viable without a sneaky vats build. Go with a fast rate of fire semi like a Fixer, or a Handmade decked with legendaries or even the prime versions for even more damage bonuses. My fixer using rifle build shreds enemies just as fast as my pure heavy build. Again the issue with rifles is so many are too slow firing so they are more suited for long range snipers, but the faster semi auto rifles put out very strong DPS.

Mutations are not needed at all, they can just be fun if your willing to spend perks on keeping them, but if you need to go bloodied then you might care more.

Power Armor biggest disadvantage is not being able to use certain items and carry weight. You can typically carry much more when not wearing power armor cause of backpacks and mods. You really just have more movement freedom outside of power armor, some people will roll always in armor if they got no issue with fusion cores, but I find it cumbersome. If you are gonna stay in power armor, it means you got to spend a bunch of perks on power armor usage so it reduces your build options since you need a bunch of PA focused cards. I keep one standard build, and then I have another build I switch to which is focused on power armor wearing

Apologies if I have the wrong understanding here, but Fixer/Handmade draw from either Commando/Rifleman perks depending on the type of receiver you have modded to the gun?

Can you share your Fixer RIfleman build?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Apologies if I have the wrong understanding here, but Fixer/Handmade draw from either Commando/Rifleman perks depending on the type of receiver you have modded to the gun?

Keep in mind when people say their build is viable they are mostly talking about taking out regular enemies and not bosses, and yeah, they are correct, you can with a rifle.

There are plus and cons to every build. I do not worry about radiation and can tank enemies with power armor. I have to get out of my armor once in a while. Oh well. I currently have 376 carry weight which is plenty. Excevator power armor allows 100 more carry weight than that.

And as for "wasting perks on power armor". You need like 6 points and they all go to intelligence which boosts experience gain anyway. There is no waste.

Basically people have their own preference there is no right or wrong.

As for those weapons, hmm that sounds right honestly never used either gun without an automatic receiver. Auto is where those two guns shine.

I am currently on a different platform, pc, my stealth build was on xbox so I dont have a build I can share but I am quite sure others here roll commando so maybe they can share their build.

Also do not listen to that poster about no mutations. There is a reason like 90 percent of players have mutations lol

Edit: sorry thought you quoted me. I see that you didnt so nevermind. I feel like I have given about all the advice I can give for my play style. I hope you find one that works for you and I will leave you to it.

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Keep in mind when people say their build is viable they are mostly talking about taking out regular enemies and not bosses, and yeah, they are correct, you can with a rifle.

I know how to take on bosses with my rifles, the DPS is quite sustainable with a semi auto rifle build. The issue is why bother building a character with a focus of fighting two bosses which are designed to be done in a group setting anyways? I've never bothered with min max theory crafting since it's totally pointless in this game as the only two bosses in the game are now trivial with how powered everyone is. You spend 99% of your time fighting normal enemies anyways. Boss fights are not solo affairs so I don't sweat the whole thing, and it sometimes feels pointless cause of how many hacked legendaries legacy items are still in the game pool and make boss fights end in minutes often.

Fixer and Handmades are semi auto rifles, you can make them automatic with an auto receiver if you want. If you put the auto receiver on them, then you need commando perks, but if you leave them semi auto then rifle perks is all you need.

Tank killer is the most essentially to max, along with maxing out the three levels of rifle. If you got explosive effect for your rifles, demolitionist at rank 5 is also a big boost. You can further enhance with vats bonuses which I only don't, but bloody mess and tenderizer are both nice cards to take for adding sustained extra damage. Explosive Fixers are quite popular, it has great sustained damage for rifles that melts most enemies quite fast.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I just 100% Fallout 76 now. Guess its time for me to delete it off my PS4 now. Literally nothing for me to do.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Well, I just 100% Fallout 76 now. Guess its time for me to delete it off my PS4 now. Literally nothing for me to do.
They have a new update like on the 1st I believe. A new scoreboard and seasonal event I believe.

But yeah, scoreboards and seasonal events are about all there is left to do for most players at this point.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Damn. What where you missing for so long, or trying to work toward?

I took a much much needed year break because of the absolute monotony but looking to jump back in casually, and potentially buy myself up to the reward I want because of how many atoms I've accumulated and never spent.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. What where you missing for so long, or trying to work toward?

I took a much much needed year break because of the absolute monotony but looking to jump back in casually, and potentially buy myself up to the reward I want because of how many atoms I've accumulated and never spent.
Theres just nothing for me to work towards. Got the last two story trophies I needed.

I mainly just played for the Season Rewards but I saw next Season's offerings and it is so lackluster to me.

I got all the weapons I would want

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Theres just nothing for me to work towards. Got the last two story trophies I needed.

I mainly just played for the Season Rewards but I saw next Season's offerings and it is so lackluster to me.

I got all the weapons I would want

Ah. Yeah, I put off a second character to get those annoying branching wastelanders achievements for awhile but never mustered the energy to put any work in building up everything I had on my main when I knew the playstyle wouldn't change.

It shouldn't surprise me that a cut tech themed season has a pathetic amount of actual vault tech items in the pass, but here we are again.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
It was a good almost 2 year run of playing Fallout 76 for me tho.

While I would like to keep it on my PS4 and wait for all the things Bethesda said they would add like the Pitt, I want the gb space to be used for other games lol.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Ill be back for Invaders event, get as much as I can and maybe some of season 8 stuff, but probably another break then till maybe meat week as its an event I keep barely missing most of and needing rewards from. Outside of those events pretty much gonna shelve game till June update

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
I'm hammer the season then as normal back of to play some other games.
Trouble is I'm trying to do Witch Queen at the mo so two gaas games on thee go is a pain.

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
I hate the layout of the new scoreboard. Background colors clash with the reward squares so it's hard to keep track of where you are on it.

Those little green bastards will still feel the wrath of my two shot grenade launcher.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I just started playing this finally. Game pass via xCloud and it's pretty stable. Enough to not need to install it.

I'm mostly playing it as a single player game right now and enjoying it so far.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Question.
I have little to no interest in mmo or all that but I'm in a mood for fallout. Is the game in a state where I can enjoy just playing by myself with stuff to explore and do?

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
So how big is this game on Steam?

I'm asking because I plan to give the game another go once my Steam Deck arrives (yes they game works despite Valve claiming its "unsupported") because I remember the game being pretty big on PS4/PS5 but I think the PC version should be smaller.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
So how big is this game on Steam?

I'm asking because I plan to give the game another go once my Steam Deck arrives (yes they game works despite Valve claiming its "unsupported") because I remember the game being pretty big on PS4/PS5 but I think the PC version should be smaller.

My installation says whopping 73.64 GB

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't allowing people to disable the framerate halving in borderless window now? I got "unable to log in due to modified files" after not playing for months, verified game cache on Steam, and then it undid that, and I bet if I do it again, it won't let me play. They should really fix that garbage. Honestly that's something to make me quit playing for good, as petty as that sounds. I liked having a good framerate and borderless window, but now it's one or the other.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Finally deleted Fallout 76 after 2 yrs of playing, finishing all the seasons, and getting a 100% on it. Literally did everything I want. Time to make space for other games.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Did the transfer over to my Steam account from the Bethesda Launcher and noticed I got over 3000 Atoms pulled over. Is it still mainly for cosmetics? Or would it be for things like a fridge...

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Did the transfer over to my Steam account from the Bethesda Launcher and noticed I got over 3000 Atoms pulled over. Is it still mainly for cosmetics? Or would it be for things like a fridge...

There is always unique camp items and such put in the atom shop. The shop rotates weekly so stuff comes and goes, and new stuff is usually added at least once a month or more. Unique camp items are available often in the atom shop, like the rain water catching thingie, and fun furniture. Also lot of prefab buildings been added, like watchtower and such.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So. Why is it that enemy health are randomly full up again? I have this all the time that I'll be whittling down their health and suddenly it's full again. And I don't mean the rare instances when they spontaneously become legendary…

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
So. Why is it that enemy health are randomly full up again? I have this all the time that I'll be whittling down their health and suddenly it's full again. And I don't mean the rare instances when they spontaneously become legendary…
Ive noticed this happening a lot lately.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Something else I am struggling with.
I don't feel like I'm levelling at all up because enemies always scale with my level there's no point at which I feel actually stronger than my environment. As an extreme example I'm currently stuck in one mission because the robot assassin at the end just one hit kills me and there's literally nothing I can do about it