• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grugga Pug

Nov 5, 2017
For those of you that linked your Bethesda account with your Steam, when/how did you get your Steam copy? I redeemed mine about an hour ago and have yet to receive the code.

And I read the date got extended to the 28th for linking.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm not a big fan of the "negative" builds like Bloodied and Junkie. I don't like having debuffs and I feel like it makes stuff way too easy for such little effort.

I run a Power Armor Heavy Gunner build.

T-51b with a .50cal and Gatling Gun as my primaries for big enemies, Lever Action rifle for low levels.

I'm not a huge fan of running Bloodied either. I do have a few bloodied weapons but I don't run the build that way.

One of my characters is heavy weapons with T51 as well. I use a Vampires .50 Cal that makes me practically invincible.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
How is plague walker?

Play as a melee and heavy guns tank and always thought the idea of running around as a disease filled murder hobo with an aura of death pretty enticing but not sure if having to stack the diseases and deal with them would be more frustrating in the long term.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
CXjWBpW.gif

Ok I have been just been assigning the default low level perks...but If Im reading this correctly, I should be actually be trying to build a particular perk sequence?

Yet another layer of complexity on top. Goddammit.

Different question. Should I just keep COOKED meals in my body? Do they rot as well? I'm enjoying the regular "Fallout 4 quests and gameplay loop" but I'm really disliking the whole survival thing...

It's not that complex sadly. Mutations are just permanent effects. Like a disease with a positive and negative.

When it comes to perks though, you definitely need to balance what level of perk you really need and where that point could be more effectively used elsewhere. Things like getting the first rank of every weapon style you use, since they are all 10%, is more effective that making one of them rank 2 at 15% for 2 perk points per card.

Also, perks like being able to double the ammo you make, or repair to 200% require alot of points but never have to be equipped until the moment you need them. For instance, I only have 3 charisma points which I spread between lone wander and cheap fast travel 98% of the time. But when it comes time to sell at a vendor, I swap it for the hard bargain which is 3 points. As your refine a build post level 50, make sure you don't over level a perk where you can't afford to use it!

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
How is plague walker?

Play as a melee and heavy guns tank and always thought the idea of running around as a disease filled murder hobo with an aura of death pretty enticing but not sure if having to stack the diseases and deal with them would be more frustrating in the long term.

It absolutely isn't. The negatives of diseases are far far worse and annoying than lowered special stats, which you don't even notice. And DoT damage in this game, where high level enemies tear your ass apart in numbers, is just a huge waste of time and resources when the focus needs to absolutely be downing them as fast as possible. The majority of your time is always traveling and scrounging, during which those diseases are ticking and annoying you and plague Walker is doing nothing to help you.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I'm not a big fan of the "negative" builds like Bloodied and Junkie. I don't like having debuffs and I feel like it makes stuff way too easy for such little effort.

I run a Power Armor Heavy Gunner build.

T-51b with a .50cal and Gatling Gun as my primaries for big enemies, Lever Action rifle for low levels.

Oh.

You mentioned a T-51.

I would also like to be optimally built for that.

Care to share your build and your logic behind it?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Oh.

You mentioned a T-51.

There is no optimal, only your preference. Take a gander at the wiki and go through all the perk cards. Power armor has some synergy with heavy weapons and unarmed as far as damage. Then there are perks like reducing fusion core drain, reducing AP costs, weights etc while in PA. If you dont like that playstyle, it's not a disadvantage to not go that route. Youll only learn by playing what is important or easy to ignore in terms of Quality of life perks.

Also, power armors have mods which you need to find the plans for, expensive, and to build and generally come late in the game. Also, t51 is by far the weakest power armor in terms of stats and options in game so be prepared to settle if that really is your ideal endgame

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
There is no optimal, only your preference. Take a gander at the wiki and go through all the perk cards. Power armor has some synergy with heavy weapons and unarmed as far as damage. Then there are perks like reducing fusion core drain, reducing AP costs, weights etc while in PA. If you dont like that playstyle, it's not a disadvantage to not go that route. Youll only learn by playing what is important or easy to ignore in terms of Quality of life perks.

Also, power armors have mods which you need to find the plans for, expensive, and to build and generally come late in the game. Also, t51 is by far the weakest power armor in terms of stats and options in game so be prepared to settle if that really is your ideal endgame

Thank you. Yes, T-51 is the final goal for me.

In Fallout 4 I didn't have to compromise a lot of my regular "non-powered armor" build before I was able to build everything for a Power Armor approach. Do I need to split my resources in 76 for this?

Meaning: I would not spend things that could help me on foot, because I would better save them for when I have the T-51?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you. Yes, T-51 is the final goal for me.

In Fallout 4 I didn't have to compromise a lot of my regular "non-powered armor" build before I was able to build everything for a Power Armor approach. Do I need to split my resources in 76 for this?

Meaning: I would not spend things that could help me on foot, because I would better save them for when I have the T-51?

Sadly yes. Because unlike in 4, you cap out at level 50 and don't gain any more special stats. You still gain cards post 50 and can move points around every level, so it's easy to swap out perks as you need once you amass a collection of leveled cards however at will. Sub 50, perk cards are random so your growth in that respect is restrained. Post 50 you pick exactly which card out of all of them you want and when to upgrade if you have dupes

Honestly, you will absolutely be hamstringing yourself putting your sub 50 leveling special points into power armor perks you may not be using for a dozen plus hours. But it's good to have a goals like that to keep you motivated and trying out builds once you hit 50+

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh.

You mentioned a T-51.

S14/P7/E3/C3/I10/A9/L10

Traveling Pharmacy 3
Heavy Gunner/Expert/Master 3
Bandolier 1
Bear Arms 1

Rifleman/Expert/Master 1
Tank Killer 3
Concentrated Fire 1

Fireproof 3

Lone Wanderer 2
Travel Agent 1
--swap-- Hard Bargain 3

First Aid 1
Power User 3
Stabilized 3
Batteries Included 3

Action Boy 3
Thru-Hiker 3
Born Survivor 1
Adrenaline 2

Bloody Mess 3
Serendipity 2
Class Freak 3
Starched Genes 2

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, t51 is by far the weakest power armor in terms of stats and options in game so be prepared to settle if that really is your ideal endgame
T-51 has the best damage and energy resistance before the newly introduced T-65. Only the Ultracite PA has comparable damage resistance. Only place where the T-51 is a bit lacking is rad resistance.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I'm very fond of those little encounters with NPCs that prompt brief interactions. Like offering you a stimpack, having the option to rob them/ask them/buy them lumber, give them water, etc. I like that I have options and they reward exploring rather than just fast travelling.

According to data mining, there are like 80 new random encounters, that's just crazy.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
T-51 has the best damage and energy resistance before the newly introduced T-65. Only the Ultracite PA has comparable damage resistance. Only place where the T-51 is a bit lacking is rad resistance.

That's good to hear. Did they normalize where the mod/part blueprints can be found yet? I remember the server hopping that took place drove me mad early on. I haven't bought something from a bot vendor in like a hundred hours so have no idea what their stock is like now.

I'm thinking of breaking my ultracite out of the stash and giving it another go if I can actually mod this time

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear. Did they normalize where the mod/part blueprints can be found yet? I remember the server hopping that took place drove me mad early on. I haven't bought something from a bot vendor in like a hundred hours so have no idea what their stock is like now.

I'm thinking of breaking my ultracite out of the stash and giving it another go if I can actually mod this time
You can buy them all from Brotherhood and Enclave VendorBots.

20200417_175637.jpg

PS_Messages_20200417_175527.jpg

20200417_175710.jpg

20200417_175807.jpg

20200417_175827.jpg

20200417_175847.jpg

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you that linked your Bethesda account with your Steam, when/how did you get your Steam copy? I redeemed mine about an hour ago and have yet to receive the code.

And I read the date got extended to the 28th for linking.

XsT40DJ.jpg

Bethesda Support

Beth updated the Support page couple days ago addressing this question.

"If you have linked your Steam account to your Bethesda.net account successfully by April 28th, you will receive your free Steam copy of Fallout 76 by the end of April. "

I'm in the same boat as well, but it looks like we're good to go.

Just gotta be patient. They'll likely do a mass dump of keys at the end of the month like they did a couple days before Steam launch.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
No wonder I haven't sold anything in a while, I usually always get a few sales when I'm on.

Also see FO76 is a top seller on Steam, and seeing so many new players around everywhere, the update sure seems to have paid off for Bethesda, hopefully they keep up the good updates to the game.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I just spent 4 hours doing the two quests for Tadpole, then realized I had to do three crazy world events with like 8 requirements each for the next step. I guess I'm not powering through that one.

People told me I wouldn't have to revive anyone and could just do one of the repeatable Tadpole quests, and I just did cleaning toxic stuff for the second time and it didn't count towards my 4 tadpole requirements. Is there any way to pass this without reviving someone?

Oct 27, 2017
How does levelling lockpicking work here? Am I at the behest of random card drops or is there a SPECIAL I need to be levelling? After 8 hours of gameplay I'm still finding level 1 locks I can't pick. Not a problem as such but I just wonder if I'm missing something.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
How does levelling lockpicking work here? Am I at the behest of random card drops or is there a SPECIAL I need to be levelling? After 8 hours of gameplay I'm still finding level 1 locks I can't pick. Not a problem as such but I just wonder if I'm missing something.

Yes. You just have to get lucky and get a lockpick perk card. They are a common type, so it shouldn't take more than a few more levels. It falls under perception. There are 3 cards each with one rank. You can switch to them when you encounter a locked thing anytime if you can't afford the points naturally.

Also, don't feel bad about missing them. Unlike fallout 4, nothing good is ever found in locked chests. Leveled loot is always in chests at the end of a location and legendaries come only from enemies. All thats inside them is a roll chance on various materials and random ammo. As you spend more time, you will realize how little they matter sadly because youll learn where and when to get materials you need, and excess ammo you cant use or sell just waste inventory weight. Seriously, be prepared to drop all the missiles, mini nukes, harpoons etc that quest rewards give you eventually and suddey find you have 40lbs more space. Hacking at least turns off damn turrets and gets you some nice lore in certain places at least

Last edited:

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Sadly yes. Because unlike in 4, you cap out at level 50 and don't gain any more special stats. You still gain cards post 50 and can move points around every level, so it's easy to swap out perks as you need once you amass a collection of leveled cards however at will. Sub 50, perk cards are random so your growth in that respect is restrained. Post 50 you pick exactly which card out of all of them you want and when to upgrade if you have dupes

Honestly, you will absolutely be hamstringing yourself putting your sub 50 leveling special points into power armor perks you may not be using for a dozen plus hours. But it's good to have a goals like that to keep you motivated and trying out builds once you hit 50+

Thanks you for the insight!

S14/P7/E3/C3/I10/A9/L10

Traveling Pharmacy 3
Heavy Gunner/Expert/Master 3
Bandolier 1
Bear Arms 1

Rifleman/Expert/Master 1
Tank Killer 3
Concentrated Fire 1

Fireproof 3

Lone Wanderer 2
Travel Agent 1
--swap-- Hard Bargain 3

First Aid 1
Power User 3
Stabilized 3
Batteries Included 3

Action Boy 3
Thru-Hiker 3
Born Survivor 1
Adrenaline 2

Bloody Mess 3
Serendipity 2
Class Freak 3
Starched Genes 2

Thank you for this, saving as a baseline template for my own progress.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Has anyone with Fallout 1st just used their server for members here?

And what's the best spot for a camp. Had mines in the same spot for the longest time, decent spot away from everything with a nice body of water but wanna move.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
When I played on PS4, I had a magnificent legendary Harpoon Gun:

6Z8NzfN.jpg

God, I miss that thing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Shit. I keep running out of screws trying to make all of these handmade guns! Unless I get luck and the automatic receiver is one of the next few I get... I might be waiting awhile. Wastelanders is on hold for me until I get this done.

Edit: If anyone can suggest the best places to farm for screws it would be appreciated! My house is currently outside the nukacola factory.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Is relatively harmless stuff like UI and Radio mods bannable?

The latter starts to feel pretty appealing after listening to the same set of songs long enough.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Man I get a lot of enjoyment from getting bargains from people's vending machines. It's gonna be rough till they get them going again.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
One minor thing that having actual skill checks (even if many of them are still a bit trivial) is that I find myself restocking Grape/Berry Mentats more often.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Another update after a 2 hour session:

• Is the dialog and script actually...more Fallout-y than 3 and 4 or am I imagining things? A couple of quests had great witty dialogue, felt like Fallout 1 and 2.
  • Inside areas look beautiful. I went into a mine that looked amazing.
  • Found a T-45 chassis and a couple of pieces. Is the chassis tied to the type of armor or can I use this chassis for a T-51 for example?
  • Encountered my first "online aspect" when I joined like 10 people catching fireflies. They all behaved great, one gave me a gun.
  • I really hate my food spoiling. I wish I could PAY to disable all the survivor layers.
  • When I move the CAMP around, I keep all my already-built stuff right? No need to spend materials on things I already built? (There is a OWNED tab or similar, is that it?)

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017

• Is the dialog and script actually...more Fallout-y than 3 and 4 or am I imagining things? A couple of quests had great witty dialogue, felt like Fallout 1 and 2.
  • Found a T-45 chassis and a couple of pieces. Is the chassis tied to the type of armor or can I use this chassis for a T-51 for example?
  • Encountered my first "online aspect" when I joined like 10 people catching fireflies. They all behaved great, one gave me a gun.
  • I really hate my food spoiling. I wish I could PAY to disable all the survivor layers.
  • When I move the CAMP around, I keep all my already-built stuff right? No need to spend materials on things I already built? (There is a OWNED tab or similar, is that it?)

1: Some of the dialogue seems pretty good. Not quite the number of options that Fallout 1 or 2 had, but better than 3 in some cases and miles better than 4, usually.
2: A lot of the indoor areas do look great. I just wish they'd tone down the harshness of the lighting system as it gives an unnatural sheen to some things.
3: The chassis is the base and can fit any power armor, though you have to be of the appropriate level of the highest piece to actually get in it. So you can mix T-45, 51, 60, Raider, etc, but if any piece exceeds your level you will have to replace it to get inside. When stored in your inventory the chassis weighs about 10-15 pounds, even if you have a full compliment of armor pieces on it.
4: All of the stuff you place gets stored if you move your camp and you can redeploy it without cost. If you have a specific build order you can save it as blueprints and deploy those, though each blueprint has a certain capacity so you may need to save your build in stages. Say, foundation, second level, third level, etc, and snap it into place. Additionally you have a total building budget that is far in excess of the blueprint budget that represents the total number of things you can place in the world.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I've been waiting for. Bought the game for $15 last E3. Really glad to hear that the actual game world is so good.

Only wish I would have bought it for Xbox instead of PS4 though, since I have the One X now, whereas my PS4 is the OG model.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I

• Found a T-45 chasis and a couple of pieces. Is the chasis tied to the type of armor or can I use this chasis for a T-51 for example?

Chassis are universal yes.

Definitely always take a peak at the map between interiors and see if there is an event people are doing. Since teleporting there is cheap/free and you can piggy back into rewards and xp every chance you get.

As for food, don't hoard. Focus on picking up things that don't spoil like prepackaged goods vs fresh stuff with limited bonuses. That or time it so that you cook meat that is about to spoil and the cooked version has full condition. There are perks and items you can eventually earn to mitigate that spoiling rate, but honestly food and water will be the least of your concerns moving forward because you have to actively go out of your way to avoid how much of each is scattered in the world, on top of all the quest rewards that give you some. Eventually, you will have a large collection of stable food in your inventory (decrease water/food/chem weight perk is a must) that you slowly dip into when needed and you rarely think about the survival aspect at all.

There is a growth you will absolutely feel as all the small things stop being a factor as you get further and understand the world and it's spawns

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found a T-45 chassis and a couple of pieces. Is the chassis tied to the type of armor or can I use this chassis for a T-51 for example?
Chassis can take any combination of armor pieces.
I really hate my food spoiling. I wish I could PAY to disable all the survivor layers.
You can work towards completing tadpole badges and can unlock a refrigerated mod for your backpack that slows spoilage and get the Good With Salt perk cards. But focus on non-perishable foods. Save yourself the trouble.
When I move the CAMP around, I keep all my already-built stuff right? No need to spend materials on things I already built? (There is a OWNED tab or similar, is that it?)
Yep. Stored.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
1: Some of the dialogue seems pretty good. Not quite the number of options that Fallout 1 or 2 had, but better than 3 in some cases and miles better than 4, usually.
2: A lot of the indoor areas do look great. I just wish they'd tone down the harshness of the lighting system as it gives an unnatural sheen to some things.
3: The chassis is the base and can fit any power armor, though you have to be of the appropriate level of the highest piece to actually get in it. So you can mix T-45, 51, 60, Raider, etc, but if any piece exceeds your level you will have to replace it to get inside. When stored in your inventory the chassis weighs about 10-15 pounds, even if you have a full compliment of armor pieces on it.
4: All of the stuff you place gets stored if you move your camp and you can redeploy it without cost. If you have a specific build order you can save it as blueprints and deploy those, though each blueprint has a certain capacity so you may need to save your build in stages. Say, foundation, second level, third level, etc, and snap it into place. Additionally you have a total building budget that is far in excess of the blueprint budget that represents the total number of things you can place in the world.
I

Chassis are universal yes.

Definitely always take a peak at the map between interiors and see if there is an event people are doing. Since teleporting there is cheap/free and you can piggy back into rewards and xp every chance you get.

As for food, don't hoard. Focus on picking up things that don't spoil like prepackaged goods vs fresh stuff with limited bonuses. That or time it so that you cook meat that is about to spoil and the cooked version has full condition. There are perks and items you can eventually earn to mitigate that spoiling rate, but honestly food and water will be the least of your concerns moving forward because you have to actively go out of your way to avoid how much of each is scattered in the world, on top of all the quest rewards that give you some. Eventually, you will have a large collection of stable food in your inventory (decrease water/food/chem weight perk is a must) that you slowly dip into when needed and you rarely think about the survival aspect at all.

There is a growth you will absolutely feel as all the small things stop being a factor as you get further and understand the world and it's spawns
Chassis can take any combination of armor pieces.

You can work towards completing tadpole badges and can unlock a refrigerated mod for your backpack that slows spoilage and get the Good With Salt perk cards. But focus on non-perishable foods. Save yourself the trouble.

Yep. Stored.

Thank you all!

This thread has been amazing in helping me understand the dynamics. I appreciate it.