• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Yes. All of the major quest areas are instanced so they are unique to you and the entire Wastelanders quest is designed to be done solo.

You never have to do anything with other players unless you are doing public events.

Apologies in advance, can you help me out with the following? I already re-installed the game on the Xbox One X and I reached the Bar with NPCs.

1. Can I just play this like Fallout 4? Just following these quests and leveling up organically? Are there added "layers" of complexity due to the fact that this is online? (things are more expensive, weapon/enemy balance is different, etc)?
  2. I noticed I cant pause, some ghouls got me while I was looking at the pip boy. Can I pause?
  3. Whats the soonest I can hope to get T-51 power armor? 2 hours? 20?
Thank you !

Oct 24, 2019
Absolutely! The exploration in this game is what I'm loving the most and so far the Wastelanders stuff is terrific. I say all this having been someone who shit on the game hard for a long time. Multiplayer is not really much of a thing tbh. You see others from time to time but most of the time you don't. Even most of the events, if I choose to do them I end up soloing and if another person is there it just makes the event easier. You can't be attacked or anything by others when you are in passive mode.

Thanks, I'll give it a try then! The setting always looked good to me

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies in advance, can you help me out with the following? I already re-installed the game on the Xbox One X and I reached the Bar with NPCs.

1. Can I just play this like Fallout 4? Just following these quests and leveling up organically? Are there added "layers" of complexity due to the fact that this is online? (things are more expensive, weapon/enemy balance is different, etc)?
  2. I noticed I cant pause, some ghouls got me while I was looking at the pip boy. Can I pause?
Thank you !
You can't pause, which is an issue I have with the game.

I understand that as an always online game, straight up pausing would be impossible. But I do wish that the game would stop the hunger and thirst meters from depleting. This isn't a game that I'm always giving my full attention to. Sometimes I'll stop to look at my phone or to quickly do something.

Last edited:

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Thank you !
The earliest power armor is via a questline in the ash heap down south. It's not super easy so you may want to be around level 20ish. You can't put a timer on stuff like that because it all depends on you. You don't get xp for searching every part of every abandoned building etc, but for kills and quests.

No you can't pause. Generally, if you aren't sure, crouch make sure your hidden and your free to browse the pup boy. The ghoul enemies generally don't path. Also, your shortcut menu on the dpad has like 12 options for all your most used emergency stuff so make sure to load it up with Chen's and your weapons so you don't need to pause

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you !
Everything can be done organically. There is no real reason to grind. Follow the quests, explore, don't venture into high level areas until you are ready.

You can't pause at all unfortunately.

T-51 starts at level 30, but to be honest its not worth it to wear power armor until you are level 50 (max level for gear) and you honestly won't need it until then.

You get a set of Excavator armor (and the plans to build a power armor station) for completing a side quest in the Ash Heap.

fallout.fandom.com

Miner Miracles

Miner Miracles is a side quest in Fallout 76. To complete it, level 25 is recommended. Interact with one of the Garrahan excavator posters, which can be found in various locations around Appalachia. Access the reception terminal inside the Garrahan Mining Headquarters and access the entry "Memo...

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Yep! You can turn on pacifist mode in the menu.

Plus most people in my experience are more often really friendly which is nice.

Huge news wow!
So if I love past Fallout games do you think I'll like this?
I know almost nothing about it other than it's in West Virginia.
Is the world large?
Is there a main story you follow?
Combat still have VATS?
Are there towns and settlements?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm suddenly excited to possibly play this!

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huge news wow!
So if I love past Fallout games do you think I'll like this?
I know almost nothing about it other than it's in West Virginia.
Is the world large?
Is there a main story you follow?
Combat still have VATS?
Are there towns and settlements?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm suddenly excited to possibly play this!

4x size of fallout 4
Wastelanders added a new main story
VATS exists but doesn't give you slowdown or tactical pause
There are new settlements and a couple of town sized ones for each faction

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

I understand that as an always online game, straight up pausing would be impossible. But I do wish that song the game would stop the hunger and thirst meters from depleting. This isn't a game that I'm always giving my full attention to. Sometimes I'll stop to look at my phone or to quickly do something.
The earliest power armor is via a questline in the ash heap down south. It's not super easy so you may want to be around level 20ish. You can't put a timer on stuff like that because it all depends on you. You don't get xp for searching every part of every abandoned building etc, but for kills and quests.

No you can't pause. Generally, if you aren't sure, crouch make sure your hidden and your free to browse the pup boy. The ghoul enemies generally don't path. Also, your shortcut menu on the dpad has like 12 options for all your most used emergency stuff so make sure to load it up with Chen's and your weapons so you don't need to pause
Everything can be done organically. There is no real reason to grind. Follow the quests, explore, don't venture into high level areas until you are ready.

You can't pause at all unfortunately.

T-51 starts at level 30, but to be honest its not worth it to wear power armor until you are level 50 (max level for gear) and you honestly won't need it until then.

You get a set of Excavator armor (and the plans to build a power armor station) for completing a side quest in the Ash Heap.

fallout.fandom.com

Miner Miracles

Miner Miracles is a side quest in Fallout 76. To complete it, level 25 is recommended. Interact with one of the Garrahan excavator posters, which can be found in various locations around Appalachia. Access the reception terminal inside the Garrahan Mining Headquarters and access the entry "Memo...

Thank you all. I will play 2-3 hours and see how the gameplay loop feels. I do think it runs massively better and also looks better somehow than a year ago where I was able to play only one hour before uninstalling (on the Xbox

T-51 is fallout for me (I would like to play all quests with it). Hopefully it won't take forever to get it.

Are there "sure ways" to get it or is it all random loot ?

Edit: I couldn't find any HDR config settings, I assume the game doesn't have them ?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Played it for a few hours. I can say the dialogue choices are already leaps and bounds better than Fallout 4 and that's simply because your character is not voiced so it gave the devs more room to work here. Definitely has a more Fallout 3/NV feel to it. The NPC voiced dialogue and writing seems great so far, too.

The only thing that irks me comes with the extreme limitations of the Creation Engine. Can't really fault the devs here because they can only work with what they have, but AI scripts produce that signature Bethesda jank, lots of unnatural pauses between dialogue making it feel a bit unrealistic and robotic, and facial animations that belong in a game from 10 years ago can take you out of it which is unfortunate but again comes with the territory when dealing with this extremely outdated engine they still use.

At least it still looks nice, and perhaps even a bit prettier now with the new lighting update. It can be hit or miss, but most of the time the game looks better than it did before and performance is pretty stable.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The only exception is if you claim a public workshop. Other players can come and contest it and engage in PvP with you regardless of your setting. Also if you incur a bounty (which the only way is to pick a lock in another player's camp afaik) other players can hunt you down.

Oh yes. I knew about those but lucky at least with the public workshops it does warn you pretty clearly so you aren't forced into it.

RowanCopeland

Apr 15, 2020
United Kingdom
I've put around 2 hours into it and I've been really enjoying it so far. I'm about to play some more now, I'm happy the game is way better than before. This is definitely another No Man's Sky scenario where the devs don't give up and make a better product.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Thank you !

You can just find power armor out in the world, there is various places that power armor spawns and you can get a suit early, but usually it's going to be incomplete. The world is peppered with power suit chassis with some bits of armor attached but you will need to cobble together a suit essentially to complete it or mix and match parts. Maintaining and keeping powerarmor can be a bit of a pain early on as high costs to repair, find all the pieces, fusion cores to power them, and so on. You can get power armor sets start going fairly early really but really good full sets take time to work up

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Something I dislike is no visual cue in dialogue to show you conversation pieces that move you further into the quest.

What I mean is say for instance Witcher 3. In that dialogue choices that moved the topic forward were on top and highlighted yellow whereas extra choices were below in gray. It seems in 76 the top most choice moves it along and you can usually guess which choices could be filler but I hate not knowing and picking a choice and not being able to flesh out the dialogue tree if I do that.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've been focusing on the 'Ally' questline specifically the astronaut and so far it's not great. 3 or 4 times in a row it's been "go here and fetch this, it will be helpful, I promise." Maybe I'll put that aside and see if the mainline quests are a bit more interesting.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
I've been focusing on the 'Ally' questline specifically the astronaut and so far it's not great. 3 or 4 times in a row it's been "go here and fetch this, it will be helpful, I promise." Maybe I'll put that aside and see if the mainline quests are a bit more interesting.

That's my problem too, I had the same frustration with the Wayward area.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
There is what I think is a small interesting reference in a terminal during the Wayward quest line.

Anyone else catch it?
It's a mention of someone named "House" who is working on a bigger project.
Is that what I think it is?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Soooo is this any good?

Early impressions seem pretty positive.

If you were looking for a more traditional Fallout experience along the lines of 3/4/NV then this will fit the bill. Then you can stay and explore the ginormous map that is well crafted and visually great, to boot. If you enjoyed any of the settlement building in Fallout 4 as well then that's dozens of more hours you can get from the game with the CAMP system.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
FUCK,

My brother is talking about this like crazy too.....we both are decently big fallout fans and skipped at launch. It seems they even weaved some NPC's into the initial base questlines too to give interaction with.

gggguhhhhhhhhhh

something tells me im going to cave and finally buy this lol

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
There is what I think is a small interesting reference in a terminal during the Wayward quest line.

Anyone else catch it?
Theres also a Fallout 3 reference.

Talking about Underworld getting started in the Capital on a note at the isolated cabin

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the ally questline is frustrating. It feels like the same quest structure as the vanilla game honestly, you're just bringing stuff back to a person instead of a robot. And it's even MORE frustrating because the writing is solid, but it's super boring and repetitive to play

Anyone else catch it?
Yep, that was really cool. I hope they end up doing something with references like that down the line

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I finished a random goal to complete all of the power armors (that I know of anyway). The only one that I have modded at all though is the x-01
3feprj.png

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

I understand that as an always online game, straight up pausing would be impossible. But I do wish that the game would stop the hunger and thirst meters from depleting. This isn't a game that I'm always giving my full attention to. Sometimes I'll stop to look at my phone or to quickly do something.

Being thirsty or hungry is not end of the world in the game, it just gives you penalties but you don't die from it, and food and drink is plentiful.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Being thirsty or hungry is not end of the world in the game, it just gives you penalties but you don't die from it, and food and drink is plentiful.

Whats the best way to take the stress out of drinking and eating? Is there a specific formula that would grant me super water or super food early on so that I can farm it and forget about it as I go along?

I dont particularly care about the added survival stuff...its just extra layers of nonsense on top of the regular quest/find place loop.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I know how the survival mechanics work, and I have plenty of food/water. I just share the same opinion as the poster below. The hunger and thirst meter made sense when the game was an open world survival game, but it's moving away from that. They don't have to remove them, as I get that some players like it. But I wish that the meters stopped depleting when looking at the map or in a menu.
Whats the best way to take the stress out of drinking and eating? Is there a specific formula that would grant me super water or super food early on so that I can farm it and forget about it as I go along?

I dont particularly care about the added survival stuff...its just extra layers of nonsense on top of the regular quest/find place loop.
No, there isn't. There are perk cards that deal with both mechanics and make them more manageable though.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I know how the survival mechanics work, and I have plenty of food/water. I just share the same opinion as the poster below. The hunger and thirst meter made sense when the game was an open world survival game, but it's moving away from that. They don't have to remove them, as I get that some players like it. But I wish that the meters stopped depleting when looking at the map or in a menu.

No, there isn't. There are perk cards that deal with both mechanics and make them more manageable though.

Damn. Thank you.

I feel it justs add busy work (go get dirty water, make it clean water, use it with other stuff, etc.). Instead of just allowing me to focus in finding new stuff.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Damn. Thank you.

I feel it justs add busy work (go get dirty water, make it clean water, use it with other stuff, etc.). Instead of just allowing me to focus in finding new stuff.

Both food and drink become a non issue as the game goes on. Put a few water purifiers in your camp and you will have so much purified water you will sell the extra to make caps.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Is the game still broken? Can it run?

my biggest issue with co op fallout is that I fee it doesn't work. I play those game's to listen to dialog and get into the world. Having to hear someone's lil Wayne music or some dude saying Racist slurs like in cs go turns me off.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Is the game still broken? Can it run?

my biggest issue with co op fallout is that I fee it doesn't work. I play those game's to listen to dialog and get into the world. Having to hear someone's lil Wayne music or some dude saying Racist slurs like in cs go turns me off.
Honestly, the multiplayer has always felt like an afterthought in 76. There's a max of 24 players per server, and the map is 4 times the size of Fallout 4. Imagine how often you'd run into someone in Fallout 4 if there were only 5 or 6 other people wandering around the map at once.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Honestly, the multiplayer has always felt like an afterthought in 76. There's a max of 24 players per server, and the map is 4 times the size of Fallout 4. Imagine how often you'd run into someone in Fallout 4 if there were only 5 or 6 other people wandering around the map at once.
That's interesting but the point of getting it would be to play with a friend yeah?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
question

how is your game saved? because i accidentally left the world after the character creation and it had me start all over.

Also, how do you start private worlds?

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
question

how is your game saved? because i accidentally left the world after the character creation and it had me start all over.

Also, how do you start private worlds?

Gotta exit the vault to save your character. And you subscribe to the Fallout First for private worlds.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
The thing I am weirdly most happy about with the addition of NPCs is having a proper DJ on the radio again. Even if she hasn't grabbed me as much as Three Dog or Travis - but it just felt weird to be playing a Fallout game without a DJ.

Although wtf is with the really out of place cover version of Ring of Fire? It's not... bad... exactly? But it totally doesn't fit with any of the other songs.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer is actuallyt great in this game because the community is one of the least toxic ones on the internet. This might be due to how little interaction you can really do with other players, but ive had very few negative experiences in the game with regards to that

Multiplayer is great because it allows you to buy and sell stuff at peoples bases. Eventually people will hit endgame, and one of the funnest experiences in that endgame is thrift store shopping at peoples places trying to find a weapon you want

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just watching the review percentage on Steam out of curiosity. It started in the 30's with the initial immediate bad reviews (maybe lower before I first saw) but has been rising and is now at 66%. Wouldn't be surprises if it hits 70 in the next few days is goes from Mixed to Mostly Positive. No opinion of my own on the game but found this interesting to see over the last day.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Had this at launch on Bethesda launcher but didn't play past a few hours. Reinstalled on Steam overnight to try Wastelanders. My biggest complaint with the game was the lack of NPCs so hopefully that feels better now?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Had this at launch on Bethesda launcher but didn't play past a few hours. Reinstalled on Steam overnight to try Wastelanders. My biggest complaint with the game was the lack of NPCs so hopefully that feels better now?

Even just doing the opening missions there are a few real NPCs out and about to give some life. They don't give anything too meaningful as that's for when you hit level 20.

but my brother and I are just blown away by

Just how well it's running for a Bethesda game. I'm on my X and I'm actually blown away at certain vistas. This is by far my favorite fallout setting already and I have so much to explore, the map is HUGE!

I hope we get to take helicopters from certain travel points like in fallout 4, that was one of my favorite experiences.

but yes, looks like I technically have my current mmorpg for awhile lol.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
but yes, looks like I technically have my current mmorpg for awhile lol.

I've been looking for something to spend small chunks of time on like an MMO. Been playing a bit of WoW Classic but I dunno, it's just not doing it for me at the moment at Level 30. This game might be pretty good unless you get attacked all the time and can't AFK.