• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does this mean they won't give you the Steam version until the end of the month? If so... that's lame. I liked accounts this morning and a couple hours later it still hasn't shown up in Steam. I figured I'd go this route rather than do the 50gig update in the Bethesda launcher.

Yeah, that's what I get from what he said. Indie devs can write systems to grant you your steam key immediately, but not Bethesda. At least, if your announce the extended time period to activate it, say that the user has to wait half a month for the key in that same announcement. Nice bait. Bleh.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Doing original main quest stuff to get to lvl 20 so I can keep playing the new stuff. I forgot what an absolute slog it is. There's no clear progression to the quest locations so you are just ping ponging around the map doing menial stuff. Ugh. Almost there though, then it'll be all Wastelanders

The main quest basically tells you where to go at all times, the side quests are the ones that have you just discovering new quest chains here and there as you find places.

Don't care about any of the online bullshit. In the state it is right now, is it close to what FO4 was? Or is it still a gimped version, strictly single-player wise?

It's an online game so if you want a pure single player experience, it's not exactly there.

Nester

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean they won't give you the Steam version until the end of the month? If so... that's lame. I liked accounts this morning and a couple hours later it still hasn't shown up in Steam. I figured I'd go this route rather than do the 50gig update in the Bethesda launcher.

Sounds more like you can still link it until the end of the month, you get it instantly like everyone else.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hopping back in after a few months break. Really enjoying it atm. Players seem more chill and npcs add to the atmosphere.

Something I've always wondered, what's the best way to get stimpacks? I'm always running low.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm hopping back in after a few months break. Really enjoying it atm. Players seem more chill and npcs add to the atmosphere.

Something I've always wondered, what's the best way to get stimpacks? I'm always running low.

If you are lower level, craft them into diluted stimpacks at a chemistry bench. You will double your load. You need purified water, so make sure you get a water purifier for your camp as soon as you can.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
It's an online game so if you want a pure single player experience, it's not exactly there.
Yeah, and that's why unfortunately this game and I will never sync up. I want my `tgm and my "this is how to unfuck this" mods. It's not really so much a failure of the game than it is a failure of my expectations.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Yeah, and that's why unfortunately this game and I will never sync up. I want my `tgm and my "this is how to unfuck this" mods. It's not really so much a failure of the game than it is a failure of my expectations.
In fairness, it is possible to play for many, many hours without encountering anyone else. And outside of 'event quests' and the vault raid, you never NEED others with you.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Don't care about any of the online bullshit. In the state it is right now, is it close to what FO4 was? Or is it still a gimped version, strictly single-player wise?
Strictly single player, it's better in some ways, worse in others. Like ESO it's very solo friendly, vast majority of content intended for solo play, but with caveats. Short list of pros and cons from my experience:

Pros
- Colossal world to explore, four times the size of FO4, with an impressive amount of environment variety. That's an insane amount of content if you love wandering and delving.
- Perk cards and improved weapon/armour legendary system means loot and character builds have more variety than FO4.
- Dialogue system (now that NPCs are in) is a huge step up from FO4.

Cons
- Combat is just as janky as FO4's, but now with no time-pausing VATS to help it as a crutch.
- Weird levelling system means that as a new player you might hate running into other higher level players, since they'll cause all enemies in the area to spawn at a significantly higher level than you. They have acknowledged this problem and say they want to fix it this year, but it's not fixed yet.
- If you loved building in FO4 you might be disappointed here. You can only have one building location at a time, and it has a small build budget. If you get attached to a build and want to keep it, but you've already maxed out your build budget then... that's it. You're done. Game over. As a builder, this has been my main issue with the game since day one. End game for builders doesn't exist. But again, they have acknowledged the issue and say they'll have a CAMP system update targeting builders this year, so fingers crossed for multiple camps now that NPCs and resettlement is lore-friendly.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
So far, Wastelanders has been pretty good as far as Fallout quests are concerned. Still not a fan of the perk cards and whatever, but it feels like a Fallout game the rest of the time, which is great. I hope they make new expansions with story going forward. It works for Destiny.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Strictly single player, it's better in some ways, worse in others. Like ESO it's very solo friendly, vast majority of content intended for solo play, but with caveats. Short list of pros and cons from my experience:

Pros
- Colossal world to explore, four times the size of FO4, with an impressive amount of environment variety. That's an insane amount of content if you love wandering and delving.
- Perk cards and improved weapon/armour legendary system means loot and character builds have more variety than FO4.
- Dialogue system (now that NPCs are in) is a huge step up from FO4.

Cons
- Combat is just as janky as FO4's, but now with no time-pausing VATS to help it as a crutch.
- Weird levelling system means that as a new player you might hate running into other higher level players, since they'll cause all enemies in the area to spawn at a significantly higher level than you. They have acknowledged this problem and say they want to fix it this year, but it's not fixed yet.
- If you loved building in FO4 you might be disappointed here. You can only have one building location at a time, and it has a small build budget. If you get attached to a build and want to keep it, but you've already maxed out your build budget then... that's it. You're done. Game over. As a builder, this has been my main issue with the game since day one. End game for builders doesn't exist. But again, they have acknowledged the issue and say they'll have a CAMP system update targeting builders this year, so fingers crossed for multiple camps now that NPCs and resettlement is lore-friendly.
Damn, thanks for going the extra mile to write this all up. I do indeed like to wander and explore, as long as there is some fun and balanced loot\level drive behind it. Lack of NPCs is another thing that previously cemented my decision not to get it.
The multiplayer-driven enemy level is such a bust though... Damn, now I'm torn.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
After playing 2 hours of Wastelanders I realized why I abandoned the game in the first place. It has nothing to do with NPC or the story telling. It just feels like shit to play. Movement and gunplay are so clunky and robotic.

Ya, with the added online lag with interacting with... anything. I feel like Im underwater in combat, movement and interaction.

It actually feels much worse than 4 in control and input.

I'll continue to level up some more to see what the game offers.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Damn, thanks for going the extra mile to write this all up. I do indeed like to wander and explore, as long as there is some fun and balanced loot\level drive behind it. Lack of NPCs is another thing that previously cemented my decision not to get it.
The multiplayer-driven enemy level is such a bust though... Damn, now I'm torn.
You can find it crazy cheap these days, and no sub is needed. I got it for about £7 last year and had a great time exploring solo and building a Nuka-Cola bar over a river (I built a bridge to give other players a useful crossing point, then built a bar on the bridge =D). I had a blast up until I maxed out the build budget, and couldn't bring myself to demolish my bar just so I could play around with other build ideas elsewhere. That's the point I started getting annoyed with some of the level scaling issues when questing and exploration became my focus, and so I stopped playing. FO4 offers almost unlimited building creativity by comparison, especially when mods are factored in.

It's worth noting though that only 20-odd players can be in the world at once, so it's really rare that you bump into them, and they're all super friendly to new players trying to gift you free stuff. Just annoying that, like many modern MMOs that focus on solo content, no thought is paid by developers into thinking about whether a shared world is actually beneficial to the players rather than a hindrance in each situation, and the level scaling issue really makes it hard to love that level 200+ dude who's trying to be nice to you but is just making your quest a ballache by being nearby. But that does seem to be an issue they're keen to address in a future update, and unlike similar games like Anthem I think it's clear when you play it that this game does have huge potential if it's supported well. And an update like Wastelanders suggests to me that it's now a question of "when" this game will be great, rather than "if".

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Ya, with the added online lag with interacting with... anything. I feel like Im underwater in combat, movement and interaction.

It actually feels much worse than 4 in control and input.

I'll continue to level up some more to see what the game offers.

Underwater combat is a good description. Feels floaty.

Unfortunately, this is making me mod out Fallout 4 and play that one.

Oct 29, 2017
The random levels you encounter enemies at continues to be the most perplexing thing about playing this game.

I was doing the intro Settlers quest and at Aubrie's camp I got swarmed by level 68 enemies. I'm level 27.

I've had it happen so many times that I'm just rolling along on a quest, fighting enemies at or near my level, then all of a sudden I hit this wall when a bunch of enemies 30+ levels above me just teleport in from somewhere. :/

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
So this update is fantastic. The game looks better, there are good quality of life improvements, the new content is great so far. Overall awesome package.

I loved the game anyway, but it definitely needed this new content. The dialogue is well done and the choices are interesting(At least to the point I am, I assume it will get even better). To those of us who finished the main quest last year, I really like where the story is going from there. My only major QOL need at this point is perk load outs, which I know they are working on.

To sum up, this is a great place to keep building from. I'm a happy Fallout 1st subscriber and will definitely renew if I can keep getting content like this going forward.

One complaint, they nerfed the stinging magazine in my handmade rifle! Boo on that! Haha.

This is great to hear, thanks for the heads-up.

I was able to nab a 76 Beth.net key yesterday for $20. Redeemed it on BGS launcher, no problem.

When I went to link my Steam account, I saw it was already hooked up, so I must have done it at some point in the past.

Fingers crossed that the Beth update saying linked accounts are extended to 4/28 will apply to my case for Steam activation. No idea what to expect, but my hopeful read is that if you have 76 on Beth.net and link you Steam account by the 28th, then you're good to go.

Guess we'll see.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It's kinda crazy that the dialogue choices and system does multiple laps around Fallout 4's writing and implementation. I haven't even played much but it feels like fallout proper, no more 4 different ways of just saying "Where's Shaun?" there's some legitimately hilarious stuff in here.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm about 5 hours in now and I am enjoying this a lot. The dialogue and choices have been legitimately interesting and have got plenty of chuckles out of me. Having fun just exploring too, and I'm finding this an incredibly relaxing experience.

I'm very impressed so far.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda crazy that the dialogue choices and system does multiple laps around Fallout 4's writing and implementation. I haven't even played much but it feels like fallout proper, no more 4 different ways of just saying "Where's Shaun?" there's some legitimately hilarious stuff in here.

I appreciate the additions, but i disagree with this level of praise. The top 2 options all progress the dialog tree, one nice guy one asshole, and the rest are more information flavor text with the last one being a cancel/refuse (who ever uses this). It's not that far from F4 at all. Of the 2 dozen skill checks I've passed/popped meds to pass, most ore another line of flavor text then back to the tree. 2 at least provided a slight way to adjust a quest with a passcode.

F4s main story may have been boring, but some sidequests and especially Far Harbour and nuka world had great writing and characters. I have yet to see anything of that level here.

The biggest QoL change this update brought is the increased daylight hours. God lord. I can't believe they waited this long to implement that considering how ugly the game looks without those God rays and bloom. It was my biggest pet peeve playing at launch honestly.

Now they just need a way to encourage different builds without sacrificing 30 levels to do so or make level ups worth a damn. They should be used as currency for something if they don't want to give players more stats.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Tried checking this out on PC and the game just had random FPS drops anywhere from 49-80fps, not so sure why considering i was only running the game on High settings at 1080p.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Is there a known issue with the game saving properly (on PC if it matters)?

Started a new char to play on my own without my friends and after playing, exited the game like normal, came back and the character is literally gone completely. Nothing to load. So I said to hell with it and played my only other character. Did the early side mission where you have to craft a piece of armor and weapon. Left the game, came back and boom those quests reappeared once again. But get this, now I have duplicates of both items yet the quests reset.

Any ideas? Kind of scared to progress right now if this will continue to happen.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a known issue with the game saving properly (on PC if it matters)?

Started a new char to play on my own without my friends and after playing, exited the game like normal, came back and the character is literally gone completely. Nothing to load. So I said to hell with it and played my only other character. Did the early side mission where you have to craft a piece of armor and weapon. Left the game, came back and boom those quests reappeared once again. But get this, now I have duplicates of both items yet the quests reset.

Any ideas? Kind of scared to progress right now if this will continue to happen.

On that new character, did you leave the vault? Characters don't get saved until you leave the actual vault. I've tripped over that.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
On that new character, did you leave the vault? Characters don't get saved until you leave the actual vault. I've tripped over that.
Oh okay, yeah I didn't. Good to know.

But when I loaded back up after this last time, during my loading screen of my established character, it should level 1 and the picture I took of the deleted one. Something weird going on... haha

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate the additions, but i disagree with this level of praise. The top 2 options all progress the dialog tree, one nice guy one asshole, and the rest are more information flavor text with the last one being a cancel/refuse (who ever uses this). It's not that far from F4 at all. Of the 2 dozen skill checks I've passed/popped meds to pass, most ore another line of flavor text then back to the tree. 2 at least provided a slight way to adjust a quest with a passcode.

F4s main story may have been boring, but some sidequests and especially Far Harbour and nuka world had great writing and characters. I have yet to see anything of that level here.
I wish I played those sidequests because F4 just felt like a never ending feeling of malaise of "I just don't care" here, I feel invested in my choices, it allows me to feel the RP part of RPG which just wasn't there at all in 4 imo. I've chuckled more at dialogue more here than my entire playtime in Fallout 4 which never really allowed your player character to express anything other than a one note concern for their son. For example these funny dialogue choices that prompted me to post in the first place would never happen with F4's bore of a character:

Bandit leader: You the one with the password? What the hell are you doing here?
Me: I want to join your crew
Bandit leader: and I want a diamond studded vertibird, so I guess we're both left with nothing, explain to me why you should get yours?
Strength Option: I'm strong, I make a circus strongman look like a kindergartner.
Intelligence option: Napoleon, Genghis Kahn, George Washington? Morons. You are looking at a tactical genius.

Alternatively on a "good" new character unable to pass skill checks.
Bandit leader: You the one with the password what the hell are you doing here?
Me: I want you to leave ____ alone
Bandit Leader: And why would I do that?
Me: Because, uh I'm Crane...and I know where the treasure is!
Bandit Leader: So where is the treasure then "crane?"
Me:(unable to meet skillchecks) Uh, maybe...maybe the real treasure is friendship and the friends you've made along the way.

Just this one interaction alone, you'd never get choices with this much personality and variance coming from your player character in vanilla FO4 which one was limited to only 4 choices most of the time and the vast majority of these choices were the same worded differently (which becomes really apparent if you had the mod where dialogue choices show the text in full allowing you to compare them) and then even in scenarios where the dialogue is substantially different, your VA delivers the line in the same one note tone that he delivers all dialogue with.

I have heard from far too many people that Far Harbour is quality so I don't doubt that they stepped their game up , but vanilla F4's characters and writing was really, really offensively lackluster to me so I just wasn't interested by that point.

Even if the illusion of choice is still there, It does at least give me a blank slate that allow's me some agency in who my character is, versus 4 where that choice was already made for me and every single time you talk to anyone just reinforced how little control you have over who your character really is. Fallout 4's character would never end a conversation with a bandit with "...Nah, I'd rather wear your skull as a hat" because the spectrum of who that character can be is incredibly small and limiting.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The random levels you encounter enemies at continues to be the most perplexing thing about playing this game.

I was doing the intro Settlers quest and at Aubrie's camp I got swarmed by level 68 enemies. I'm level 27.

I've had it happen so many times that I'm just rolling along on a quest, fighting enemies at or near my level, then all of a sudden I hit this wall when a bunch of enemies 30+ levels above me just teleport in from somewhere. :/

It's because things get scaled to the last player there. I had this same interaction, but instead I was the hero killing the lvl68 ghouls while a 20 something ran around trying not to die and thanked me after ward. It can definitely suck. I went through alot of growing pains early on because of it and is a big part of why they had to introduce instances now for dungeons.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Oh okay, yeah I didn't. Good to know.

But when I loaded back up after this last time, during my loading screen of my established character, it should level 1 and the picture I took of the deleted one. Something weird going on... haha

Game stuffs that picture into your folder of snapshots, even if you delete the character, even if you hit some high level, you'll still see that silly pic occasionally :)

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Game stuffs that picture into your folder of snapshots, even if you delete the character, even if you hit some high level, you'll still see that silly pic occasionally :)
Makes sense. But to the other issue of me having to redo the quest I did already, I'll prob just dismiss it as a one-off occurrence? Pushing forward and hoping that doesn't crop up again.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I played those sidequests because F4 just felt like a never ending feeling of malaise of "I just don't care" here, I feel invested in my choices, it allows me to feel the RP part of RPG which just wasn't there at all in 4 imo. I've chuckled more at dialogue more here than my entire playtime in Fallout 4 which never really allowed your player character to express anything other than a one note concern for their son. For example these funny dialogue choices that prompted me to post in the first place would never happen with F4's bore of a character:

Bandit leader: You the one with the password? What the hell are you doing here?
Me: I want to join your crew
Bandit leader: and I want a diamond studded vertibird, so I guess we're both left with nothing, explain to me why you should get yours?
Strength Option: I'm strong, I make a circus strongman look like a kindergartner.
Intelligence option: Napoleon, Genghis Kahn, George Washington? Morons. You are looking at a tactical genius.

Alternatively on a "good" new character unable to pass skill checks.
Bandit leader: You the one with the password what the hell are you doing here?
Me: I want you to leave ____ alone
Bandit Leader: And why would I do that?
Me: Because, uh I'm Crane...and I know where the treasure is!
Bandit Leader: So where is the treasure then "crane?"
Me:(unable to meet skillchecks) Uh, maybe...maybe the real treasure is friendship and the friends you've made along the way.

Just this one interaction alone, you'd never get choices with this much personality and variance coming from your player character in vanilla FO4 which one was limited to only 4 choices most of the time and the vast majority of these choices were the same worded differently (which becomes really apparent if you had the mod where dialogue choices show the text in full allowing you to compare them) and then even in scenarios where the dialogue is substantially different, your VA delivers the line in the same one note tone that he delivers all dialogue with.

I have heard from far too many people that Far Harbour is quality so I don't doubt that they stepped their game up , but vanilla F4's characters and writing was really, really offensively lackluster to me so I just wasn't interested by that point.

Even if the illusion of choice is still there, It does at least give me a blank slate that allow's me some agency in who my character is, versus 4 where that choice was already made for me and every single time you talk to anyone just reinforced how little control you have over who your character really is. Fallout 4's character would never end a conversation with a bandit with "...Nah, I'd rather wear your skull as a hat" because the spectrum of who that character can be is incredibly small and limiting.

I feel you. In fallout 4s defense though, some of the quirky asshole responses did exist, though rare compared to this one because 76 leans in hard, but you wouldn't know it because the stupid system of showing you a tiny snippet of tone for the four choices instead of the actual full dialog prevented it. It was surprising how often something would be bigger or meaner than it sounded in the snippet compared to what was eventually spoken. Bad design. I wouldn't have known had I not replayed that game multiple times and bothered to choose differently most of the time. I like to believe Bethesda ate enough shit about that feature specifically that they won't introduce something like that again in their next games. This update is proof/hope of that

SteveO1683

Nov 1, 2017
Finally went through and did my pioneer scouts quizzes.

Is there a good resource that says which materials we should hold onto and what can easily be sold? Feel like my stash is always maxed. All I really do is repair weapons, armor, and cook.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really enjoying this. I bought it a week or so ago for cheap in anticipation of wastlanders and got kinda hooked on it tbh. I got myself to level 25 and this dlc is really good so far. Terrific voice acting and it just feels like actual Fallout now. It's just really great exploring.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I think I cracked my disc in half near launch

kinda wish I didn't

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I'm having a blast! The world is gigantic and looks great most of the time. Combat is meh but exploration makes up for it.
I finally managed to change the color of my flashlight. In the Fallout76Prefs.ini change the following lines:
fPipboyEffectColorB=0.4000
fPipboyEffectColorG=0.4000
fPipboyEffectColorR=0.4000

Oct 24, 2019
If I'm someone who loves narrative-based exploration games (including Fallout 3 and New Vegas), would you recommend I play this game now after the Wastelanders update?

edit: I should also mention that I'm not interested in the multiplayer elements at all

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
"Duchess, get me your finest flannel! I'm going to the West Virginia Lumber Yard!"

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm someone who loves narrative-based exploration games (including Fallout 3 and New Vegas), would you recommend I play this game now after the Wastelanders update?

edit: I should also mention that I'm not interested in the multiplayer elements at all

Absolutely! The exploration in this game is what I'm loving the most and so far the Wastelanders stuff is terrific. I say all this having been someone who shit on the game hard for a long time. Multiplayer is not really much of a thing tbh. You see others from time to time but most of the time you don't. Even most of the events, if I choose to do them I end up soloing and if another person is there it just makes the event easier. You can't be attacked or anything by others when you are in passive mode.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah, I'm having a blast! The world is gigantic and looks great most of the time. Combat is meh but exploration makes up for it.
I finally managed to change the color of my flashlight. In the Fallout76Prefs.ini change the following lines:
fPipboyEffectColorB=0.4000
fPipboyEffectColorG=0.4000
fPipboyEffectColorR=0.4000

Oh man I'll have to try this. The default Green looks so bleh

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely! The exploration in this game is what I'm loving the most and so far the Wastelanders stuff is terrific. I say all this having been someone who shit on the game hard for a long time. Multiplayer is not really much of a thing tbh. You see others from time to time but most of the time you don't. Even most of the events, if I choose to do them I end up soloing and if another person is there it just makes the event easier. You can't be attacked or anything by others when you are in passive mode.
The only exception is if you claim a public workshop. Other players can come and contest it and engage in PvP with you regardless of your setting. Also if you incur a bounty (which the only way is to pick a lock in another player's camp afaik) other players can hunt you down.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Hold up i thought you could be attacked by other players in this game but I'm reading here that there is a passive mode that turns off PVP and the only way to get attacked is picking player locks or claiming a public workshop??!

Holy shit if true.
I remember when this launched I thought players could just attack you and that was the #1 reason I did not try this !!!

So is this true?
And I now Wastelanders brings NPCs with quests?

I loved Fallout 3/4/NV so if PVP is not a thing if I don't want it to be, I may buy this game if it's a good fallout game now.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Hold up i thought you could be attacked by other players in this game but I'm reading here that there is a passive mode that turns off PVP and the only way to get attacked is picking player locks or claiming a public workshop??!

Holy shit if true.
I remember when this launched I thought players could just attack you and that was the #1 reason I did not try this !!!

So is this true?
And I now Wastelanders brings NPCs with quests?

I loved Fallout 3/4/NV so if PVP is not a thing if I don't want it to be, I may buy this game if it's a good fallout game now.
Yep! You can turn on pacifist mode in the menu.

Plus most people in my experience are more often really friendly which is nice.

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
So how's this running on PS4 (Pro) now? Better, worse, about the same? Setting consoles on fire? LOL

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a gauge of how long the Wastelanders content is?