• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Can you actually refer to yourself by character name at any point in Wastelanders like you could in 3 and nv?

Oct 27, 2017
Is there really no text chat in this game? Some random guy came up to me asking if I wanted to party up, and I didn't have my mic plugged in, so couldn't tell him 'thanks for the offer, but I'm just playing solo for the moment'. I had to try to use the limited selection of default emotes to communicate this to him (so NO! NO! ??? ??? NO! - there's no 'sorry' or 'decline').

He sounded so dejected when he walked off, and it really bummed me out that he probably thought I was being a dick when he was being so nice!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Is there really no text chat in this game? Some random guy came up to me asking if I wanted to party up, and I didn't have my mic plugged in, so couldn't tell him 'thanks for the offer, but I'm just playing solo for the moment'. I had to try to use the limited selection of default emotes to communicate this to him (so NO! NO! ??? ??? NO! - there's no 'sorry' or 'decline').

He sounded so dejected when he walked off, and it really bummed me out that he probably thought I was being a dick when he was being so nice!
Yeah, its really dumb and I hate it.

Game would benefit a lot from text chat. Can't imagine its that difficult to implement.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how does this work? Is every main quest in the game voiced now? How long would it take me to finish Wastelanders?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I hate the scaling in ESO, no combat encounter feels challenging because of it.

You'll still run into low level enemies even at high levels.

Also the early west portion of the world map doesn't spawn high level mobs usually, even with high level players. There is some scaling barricades and typically when you get to the middle of the map with the savage divide is when they kinda turn off the limits and you get crazy random spawns.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So how does this work? Is every main quest in the game voiced now? How long would it take me to finish Wastelanders?

The quests always had voice components often, but they didn't have npcs to interact with. This basically went back and added some dialogue to old npcs for the original quests but that's only some of the game's quests as there wasn't many npcs so only a few robots you can talk to now. They did update a few old quests to use the new system, but only select ones where you talked to a "character"

The new wastelander quests are fully voiced with dialogue choices

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I was just playing yesterday for the first time in months, and after today's update the lighting is so much better. I'm surprised they didn't market this as 'improved graphics' or something. Most of the game looks really pleasing now.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hows PC performance right now? I gotta RTX 2070 Super and i7-9700k.

As long as you play in fullscreen and not borderless, the game runs fine. I played a bit today, perfectly locked 60fps at 1080p ultra settings on a Ryzen 3600 with a 2060 super. I assume that a 2070 super will be more than enough for 1440p, at the very least.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Hm, seeing that speech checks are back I'm wondering if I should increase my intelligence and charisma to 10. Those were always fun to access certain dialogue in older games. Only thing that sucks is having to level up a bunch to switch over my specials.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
How did you still play ESO if you feel that way? After they changed the game to scale everything I just couldn't continue after a few hours once I realized that everything I was doing to progress was pointless.
It's not a deal breaker for me, I just prefer non-scaling. And I like the quest writing and exploring the world of ESO enough that I kept playing.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need to do this quest where it teaches you to build a huge sign in your camp ground to start the new questline?

I thought the new questline was for level 20 +, but this one is like a tutorial that teaches you how to build a camp site...

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Very curious about this. The talk of better graphics and quests makes me want to get it. Has anyone played on the 1X? Noticeably better looking than before?

Are the the improved quests and presence of NPCs limited to the Wastelanders expansion, or are they pervasive in the whole game?

edit: just bit the bullet for $7.60 (!) on eBay. Tons of new Xbox one copies available for really cheap.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
As a completely new player, there doesn't seem to be any distinction at all between the Wastelanders update and the vanilla game. There are human NPC's almost immediately after leaving the vault, and I'm running missions for Wayward and chasing the Overseer seemingly concurrently.

Games fun, too. It's actually a really chill experience. Can see this being a go-to podcast game for a while.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, don't forget to try talking to NPCs that used to just talk at you!

I know you can talk to Rose, seems like you can actually hold a conversation with a Mr. Handy in Vault 76 now aswell.
ldgnI8a.jpg

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The assaultron quest had me rolling in laughter. The writing is pretty good.

XRayRegime

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen too many bugs but one that is annoying me is that organizing inventory by "spoiled" isn't working for me. Just arranges alphabetically. It was my go-to way to know what food I wanted to eat next.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Finally able to turn up a bunch of settings thanks to some new PC upgrades.

Damn, have the god rays here always been this obnoxious or is it just me?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Finally able to turn up a bunch of settings thanks to some new PC upgrades.

Damn, have the god rays here always been this obnoxious or is it just me?

Always there. Always been obnoxious, even as they proudly beam through the sides of mountains and buildings. The bad looking textures from F4 carried over so they overcompensated with the lighting and those rays.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate what Bethesda did here, but a lot still needs to be done. A lot of locations on the map with a ton of wasted potential still.

Fallout 76 was the game that made it clear how far behind BGS is on a technical level. I haven't encountered any huge bugs in Wastelanders, but everything is covered in a general level of jank.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Its nice to just stumble across NPCs in old areas that don't have any quests or anything, they're just there to talk to and fill out the world.

Things could go horribly wrong eventually but so far, Wastelanders is exactly what I was hoping it was going to be

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate what Bethesda did here, but a lot still needs to be done. A lot of locations on the map with a ton of wasted potential still.

Fallout 76 was the game that made it clear how far behind BGS is on a technical level. I haven't encountered any huge bugs in Wastelanders, but everything is covered in a general level of jank.
We are going to have to see how Starfield shapes up because that's where all their resources have been poured. This was a MP mode for fallout 4 turned full game mainly developed by a dev team they picked up when their other game was canceled.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Aye.

Thats hopefully the plan going forward. More expansions that focus on others faction and livening up other parts of the map.

There are a lot of dead groups in Fallout 76 like the Responders and the Brotherhood of Steel to draw inspiration from. Would be interesting to see them come back and you help build them back up in future content. Thats my hope anyway.

Last edited:

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
We are going to have to see how Starfield shapes up because that's where all their resources have been poured. This was a MP mode for fallout 4 turned full game mainly developed by a dev team they picked up when their other game was canceled.
I'm cautiously optimistic for Starfield.

Hope we get to see more about it soon.

Probably a 2021 title though.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
A ghoul voiced by Jason Mewes caught me off guard big time lol, I missed most of what he was saying cause I was constantly going "That can't be...no it has to be....nahhh..."

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I think i'm going to triple dip on this. I originally bought it on PS4 Pro, but the performance wasn't great. I got it on the X after and that was a lot better, but i still dropped it. This update looks interesting enough that i think i'll stick with it for longer if i get it on the PC.
Seriously though, I'm the same with games like this.

I'd probably never be able to stick with something like an MMO if I had to play it on one of my consoles.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't great on the PS4 version but thinking of getting into the PC version of Nuclear Winter with a gamepad.

...how fucked am I?

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017

I'm hoping that their plan for the rest of the year is to slowly overhaul the rest of the map and work it into the narrative of settlers moving back into WV

I'm cautiously optimistic for Starfield.

Hope we get to see more about it soon.

Probably a 2021 title though.
I really hope we hear about SF this year because they've already been working on it for so long, but I'm not getting my hopes up for any news before next summer. At least that basically guarantees it'll be an Oblivion-style early next gen release

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jumped back in for a couple hours and I'm surprisingly having a lot of fun. I hadn't played since launch week, so it's a huge improvement overall.

I feel like I need to do some digging for tweaks, because performance is pretty terrible on my 9900k and 2080ti. I turned it to full screen and down to high, but still get dips below 60 in a couple places. Framerate hovers around 70-80 otherwise, just a few places on the map. Turned down item etc draw distance too.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
My initial impressions were SUPER rough.

Within 15 seconds of starting to make my first ever character, the camera shifted BEHIND my character. I was literally cycling through the faces and it just shifted behind randomly. I had to ALT+F4 and start again. Here's a shot of that from a video I recorded:

85Ju1X9.jpg

Second attempt: I made my character as I wanted. Finally! I even took a photomode photo of him! I got to walk around for about 15 seconds in that room you spawn in. I hit E to play the guitar and the game crashed. I was livid.

I started the game for a THIRD time. It probably saved my character, right? Must've since it would be stupid not to save it or sync up right after someone made their character right?

Nope. It didn't save my created character before it had crashed.

I had to redo it all over again. Luckily it didn't crash again and I was able to do a little bit of the initial quest stuff.

The bloom/god rays feels excessively intense at some points. I ran into a visual bug that I saw before in other games like Fallout 4, Mafia 3, and even State of Decay 2. It's not a constant bug, but it shows up under certain lighting conditions.

9uuS0To.jpg

To note, this is what my character "normally" looks like:

MWTLadi.jpg

I at least know now that borderless windowed is broken, so I won't comment on the super weird framerates I was seeing yet.

Once I actually got going though, it seemed to be pretty good. I'm still obviously super early on in the game, but I can see myself playing this every so often with like a stream or whatever on the other monitor.

But please please please Bethesda: Get a new engine already? You can put as many coats of paint on Gamebryo as you want, but at the end of the day it's still fucking Gamebryo. It's still an engine that has its roots going back to the late 90s. Also, I definitely understand that it's not just the engine that is a problem but a lot of factors. But like... c'mon.

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
Vanilla'76 was empty, boring, and lacked EVERYTHING Bethesda RPG's are revered for.

Does Wastelanders remedy this? For someone who loathed 76 but adores FO4 & Skyrim is Wastelanders worth returning to 76 for?

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
My biggest complaint so far:

I can't join the Mothman cultists. I'm unreasonably let down by this. Let me worship my mothy boi Bethesda.