• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Never played the game as a fallout fan
Maybe I should try it after this

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Sure, I'll try it. Even at launch I never thought 76 was remotely as bad as everyone made it out to be, for what it was it was very enjoyable especially with friends, biggest complaint then was the very restrictive weight limits at base, but I suppose that's been fixed by now? Sounds like this adds pretty much everything else that was missing in the first place, pretty cool.

They have like doubled amount of storage at your base camps stashes. Theres also quest lines to learn to get and craft backpacks which let you also carry more stuff on yourself too.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Was initially interested in FO76 and was disappointed it turned out to be a dumpster fire. I like where it's headed with this update. Definitely taking a wait and see approach, though. Hope they can turn the game around, and those of you who have it already have fun with it.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Exited to give it another shot, I feel like if this turns out fairly well and they keep adding meaningful content later down the line then we could see a huge ESO style turnaround with the game.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
58GB update just started on my OG Xbox One.
I'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I just want to point out that before this update, the game took up 85 GB on my PS4 and now it takes up 62 GB. So there's a good sign.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Saw a video of this last week by MrMattyPlays and he mentioned that you have to be quite a high level to take these quests on. So it's great for those that have played the main game a lot, for newcomers not so much.

I am the latter, I love Fallout but couldn't bring myself to take on these quests.

The max level needed to finish Wastelanders is lv20 which is pretty low in this game and you'll probably level a good bit from doing the early wastelanders stuff.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So as well as adding NPCs to the game, does it actually accommodate for RPG gameplay like stat checks or is it just a bunch of fetch quests?
literally just started playing for 5 minutes and ran into this already:

SO2z2Di.png
rkdoE1O.png

also, i forgot how great the ambient sounds are in Bethfallouts. The wind sounds are solid.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

SO2z2Di.png
rkdoE1O.png

also, i forgot how great the ambient sounds are in Bethfallouts. The wind sounds are solid.

Fallout 3 style dialogue choices are so much better than the crap we got in 4. I'm actually happy to see them go back to the old style dialogue options here, so much better than the awful 4 system. Of course a large part of this is also because they don't voice your character in this game so they don't need to record a ton of voice choices, but this is how they need to keep Fallout from now on.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I loved the voiced protag in Fallout 4, but I missed the variety in dialogue options.

Oct 25, 2017
I think i'm going to triple dip on this. I originally bought it on PS4 Pro, but the performance wasn't great. I got it on the X after and that was a lot better, but i still dropped it. This update looks interesting enough that i think i'll stick with it for longer if i get it on the PC.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
As a longtime fan of BGS, it was a little painful watching Fallout 76 flounder over the last year from the sidelines. Never even tried it. I'm hoping this finally makes 76 the game I had hoped it would be when Todd first unveiled it. If it does, I think I'll be hopping back into the world of Fallout.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'll check out some streams this week to see if and how it's been improved.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

SO2z2Di.png
rkdoE1O.png

That looks like a better dialogue system than in Fallout 4.

is this on Gamepass yet? Not willing to spend money on it just to see if it's decent now.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So... how is base building in this game? Is the base persistent? How does it work with different servers? How big can you build? Any restrictions? Can you build anywhere you want after claiming a place, or how does it work?

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
I love just exploring the world of 76, the addition of NPCs is exciting as there is a chance I run into one as I am exploring to open up some possibilities.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
That looks like a better dialogue system than in Fallout 4.

is this on Gamepass yet? Not willing to spend money on it just to see if it's decent now.
Not on gamepass no.

Played a decent amount on xbox and bought this for cheap a while ago on pc to see if this update would be any good. Don't mind starting fresh at this time.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So... how is base building in this game? Is the base persistent? How does it work with different servers? How big can you build? Any restrictions? Can you build anywhere you want after claiming a place, or how does it work?

Base building can be done almost anywhere, theres a few areas of the world you can't build on, but you have lot of freedom to build your camps. Finding a place that you like that fits most of your camp needs is the harder part of course. You typically want to build a camp somewhere that is beneficial to you, like on a resource node, near water source, as it lets you maximize what you can do with your camp.

Your camp is saved and spawned when you log on, if you log off the camp goes away with you. It's saved and you can also save your builds as a blueprint which allows you to attempt to move your camp somewhere else. They basically patched into the game a while back that when you log on if someone already has built where you camp belongs, you get a warning and you get the option to attempt to find another server to play on and build so you normally always will find a free server to put your camp in the same place always. So your camps persist as long as you are online playing the game on that server.

Since launch they made lot of changes to building camps to make it easier to do and make placement easier. Fitting stuff on terrain was tricky but they kept making changes that allow you to sorta terraform areas to allow you to fit your buildings such as removing small debris out of your way when you build, letting you flatten areas for foundations, etc.

Base building is kinda like settlements in FO4, best uses are for creating places to setup all the needed crafting stations, places to cook, rest, storage, and also they added the ability to setup a vending machine to sell your stuff from, which people can teleport to each others camps and shop at. If you build in the right places you can setup resource collectors, like mining special mats for crafting, you can also setup farms to grow food as you need to constantly eat and drink in this Fallout

Last edited:

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
It actually runs really great now. Only thing I'm having issues with is the slowdown when sprinting, but I'm guessing that's just the Creation Engine being the Creation Engine?

Oct 27, 2017
How's the One X performance these days? I found it to be lacking when I last played in summer 2019. Interest will be piqued if the new update has alleviated the stutter.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany

SO2z2Di.png
rkdoE1O.png
See, Bethesda, how hard can it be to implement that shit? Okay, took them, what, a year since 76's release? So it's perhaps pretty hard for them. Can't say anything about the writing, probably typical Bethesda fare, but at least it starts off the right direction.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Base building can be done almost anywhere, theres a few areas of the world you can't build on, but you have lot of freedom to build your camps. Finding a place that you like that fits most of your camp needs is the harder part of course. You typically want to build a camp somewhere that is beneficial to you, like on a resource node, near water source, as it lets you maximize what you can do with your camp.

Your camp is saved and spawned when you log on, if you log off the camp goes away with you. It's saved and you can also save your builds as a blueprint which allows you to attempt to move your camp somewhere else. They basically patched into the game a while back that when you log on if someone already has built where you camp belongs, you get a warning and you get the option to attempt to find another server to play on and build so you normally always will find a free server to put your camp in the same place always. So your camps persist as long as you are online playing the game on that server.

Since launch they made lot of changes to building camps to make it easier to do and make placement easier. Fitting stuff on terrain was tricky but they kept making changes that allow you to sorta terraform areas to allow you to fit your buildings such as removing small debris out of your way when you build, letting you flatten areas for foundations, etc.

Base building is kinda like settlements in FO4, best uses are for creating places to setup all the needed crafting stations, places to cook, rest, storage, and also they added the ability to setup a vending machine to sell your stuff from, which people can teleport to each others camps and shop at. If you build in the right places you can setup resource collectors, like mining special mats for crafting, you can also setup farms to grow food as you need to constantly eat and drink in this Fallout

Thanks! Sounds good.

Except that the base vanishes with you when logged out, which sounds kinda strange.
So people play on different servers all the time when they join and there are no server-communites?

Can you share a base between players/friends, so all have the same rights to use/edit them?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Is the laggy combat fixed? Hated doing a headshot and see the animation pop off 0.5 seconds later.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
How was the battle royale mode? Do people actually play it? I hear absolutely nothing about that.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks! Sounds good.

Except that the base vanishes with you when logged out, which sounds kinda strange.
So people play on different servers all the time when they join and there are no server-communites?

Can you share a base between players/friends, so all have the same rights to use/edit them?

The game uses instanced worlds, there is essentially around 24 players per "world", so it's basically a game that creates little worlds when you log into, it's not a huge MMO world with like hundreds of players in one server, the game really would be chaos if it was and kinda doesn't fit the storyline either. Also if the camps you built persisted when you logged off, there would be nowhere left to build in the game world with the amount of people playing, so it's done by instancing small worlds and spawning player creations when they come in. If you subscribe to Fallout 1st you get the ability to host your own private server worlds so you can technically leave it running along with up to 8 friends I believe who you invite to your private world.

You can play with friends and share base stuff with each other, but does require you to both be on together. I would play with my wife sometimes and its nice that we can travel freely between each others camps and share stuff or if you can try to build next to one another to sorta form one big mega camp.

How was the battle royale mode? Do people actually play it? I hear absolutely nothing about that.

I play it once in a while, it seems to be sorta popular? I doubt its very competitive or such but I always get into matches right away. The mechanics are slightly tweaked for the Nuclear Winter mode and it's not as big of a match as your big 100 player BR games, you only have a few teams on a map. It plays pretty quick and you earn XP and caps that you can keep for the adventure mode

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to reviews for this. Would be nice if Bethesda could redeem themselves.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to reviews for this. Would be nice if Bethesda could redeem themselves.
I think reviewers will agree its good but probably not enough of it.

If Bethesda continue fleshing out the map with new NPCs and quest, in 1-3 years, the game will probably be pretty layered and dense enough with classic fallout questing and not just enviromental storytelling (which I enjoy but acknowledge its not enough for some) that it will have turned critical reception around.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
My friends and I are gonna give it a shot during quarantine. We already bought in to it, why the fuck not?

can someone link me to a build that is relevant to the current state of the game? It seems like it's been a while since there have been many changes to certain gameplay elements.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
My friends and I are gonna give it a shot during quarantine. We already bought in to it, why the fuck not?

can someone link me to a build that is relevant to the current state of the game? It seems like it's been a while since there have been many changes to certain gameplay elements.
Look into bloodied or junkie builds.

They're really overpowered if you're into that.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I'm loving it so far.

Glad they didn't just throw this game away.

The NPCs are the breath of life I wanted.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to know if people have switched between the Bethesda launcher and Steam versions of the game, and if there are particular advantages to one or the other. Also wondering if you can switch freely between them (caveat about atoms not carrying over already in mind). I don't have a particular reason to switch and I don't want to install an enormous game twice on my hard drive if I can avoid it, but it might be nice to have some of the Steam overlay stuff.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Imagine if World of Warcraft launched with no quests or NPCs and you were supposed to "make your own fun" with rewardless world pvp and literal garbage loot drops. I just can't fathom the judgement of the Fallout76 developers. What went so wrong that it launched in such a state? These are presumably professionals who are proud of their job.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Played about an hour maybe, feel pretty good about it so far.
76 used to feel really depressing, all you found were notes about dead people that didn't make it, nothing to contrast that feeling like in all the other Fallouts, so just having settlers loitering in small groups and the odd character you can talk to really adds a lot to the atmosphere, quests also feel so much more dynamic now with actual npcs, skillchecks in dialogue and what seems like a big focus on faction choice, at least the first real quest of the game has be picking a side, so that's pretty cool.
It's also neat to come back to these places and see the settlers moved in and set up shop.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Curious to know if people have switched between the Bethesda launcher and Steam versions of the game, and if there are particular advantages to one or the other. Also wondering if you can switch freely between them (caveat about atoms not carrying over already in mind). I don't have a particular reason to switch and I don't want to install an enormous game twice on my hard drive if I can avoid it, but it might be nice to have some of the Steam overlay stuff.

Yea this is where I'm at too. Bethesda launcher wouldn't have been my first choice but since I have it there already I don't have any real inclination to switch over.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Imagine if World of Warcraft launched with no quests or NPCs and you were supposed to "make your own fun" with rewardless world pvp and literal garbage loot drops. I just can't fathom the judgement of the Fallout76 developers. What went so wrong that it launched in such a state? These are presumably professionals who are proud of their job.

Didn't it come out that Bethesda publishing had this game basically thrown out of the door just to have something to release, year or two earlier than developers had in mind?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'll try it out in a week or two once the inevitable launch bugs and server issues are sorted (not a Bethesda jab here, an MMO jab). But there are still 3 big issues I have with this game:
  1. Combat is not great in this engine, and while VATS still made it enjoyable enough in FO4 the lack of a tactical pause here really highlights the flaws. I don't know what they can do to fix this. Shooting will likely always feel lacklustre, and melee will always feel atrocious. I'm hoping that eventually this will be seen as the one and only big caveat for an otherwise great game though.
  2. The levelled enemies/zones system is just dumb. It means while levelling you need to stay within specific zones, which for a Bethesda Game Studios style game is highly questionable. But even worse, if a high level player is already in your questing location when you arrive there, the enemies will all have spawned to be as close to his level as they possibly can be. He might have only been passing through, and now you're left having to fight enemies dozens of levels higher than you, because game designers never considered this might be a problem. Even though ESO had to learn a very similar lesson the hard way too, and corrected it years ago with the One Tamriel update. It also means that if you're at end game level the majority of the map is useless to you because most of it is too low level to be of real value. Thankfully, One Wasteland is now being talked about to fix this issue, so it sounds like they've finally realized talking to their sister MMO studio for advice might be wise.
  3. For those of us that love the CAMP system (and settlements in Fallout 4) this game offers very little of value. You can only build ONE camp at a time, with a super low build budget, and no NPCs to build for (hopefully that's being changed now?). They constantly flood the store with new CAMP items, but I would just look at them and think "I would love to give you my money for this, but your stupid CAMP system means I wouldn't be able to place it anywhere." Increasing the build budget is only the smaller part of a required fix here. They absolutely need to allow us multiple camps, so that we can keep the "main" camps we love, and still flex our creativity in additional builds. Now that humans are back in Appalachia, and NPC settlements are popping up, there's no lore reason to restrict further development now. Give players more CAMPs! Builders need a better end game.
Until points 2 and 3 are addressed, I'm still not committing any serious time to this game, and certainly no money. Fingers crossed by the end of the year the game is shaping up into something solid. Wastelanders is a big stepping stone towards that, but it's far from a great game while the above issues persist imo.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'll try it out in a week or two once the inevitable launch bugs and server issues are sorted (not a Bethesda jab here, an MMO jab). But there are still 3 big issues I have with this game:
  1. Combat is not great in this engine, and while VATS still made it enjoyable enough in FO4 the lack of a tactical pause here really highlights the flaws. I don't know what they can do to fix this. Shooting will likely always feel lacklustre, and melee will always feel atrocious. I'm hoping that eventually this will be seen as the one and only big caveat for an otherwise great game though.
  2. The levelled enemies/zones system is just dumb. It means while levelling you need to stay within specific zones, which for a Bethesda Game Studios style game is highly questionable. But even worse, if a high level player is already in your questing location when you arrive there, the enemies will all have spawned to be as close to his level as they possibly can be. He might have only been passing through, and now you're left having to fight enemies dozens of levels higher than you, because game designers never considered this might be a problem. Even though ESO had to learn a very similar lesson the hard way too, and corrected it years ago with the One Tamriel update. It also means that if you're at end game level the majority of the map is useless to you because most of it is too low level to be of real value. Thankfully, One Wasteland is now being talked about to fix this issue, so it sounds like they've finally realized talking to their sister MMO studio for advice might be wise.
  3. For those of us that love the CAMP system (and settlements in Fallout 4) this game offers very little of value. You can only build ONE camp at a time, with a super low build budget, and no NPCs to build for (hopefully that's being changed now?). They constantly flood the store with new CAMP items, but I would just look at them and think "I would love to give you my money for this, but your stupid CAMP system means I wouldn't be able to place it anywhere." Increasing the build budget is only the smaller part of a required fix here. They absolutely need to allow us multiple camps, so that we can keep the "main" camps we love, and still flex our creativity in additional builds. Now that humans are back in Appalachia, and NPC settlements are popping up, there's no lore reason to restrict further development now. Give players more CAMPs! Builders need a better end game.
Until points 2 and 3 are addressed, I'm still not committing any serious time to this game, and certainly no money. Fingers crossed by the end of the year the game is shaping up into something solid. Wastelanders is a big stepping stone towards that, but it's far from a great game while the above issues persist imo.

Addressing 1, it feels like an issue with the engine in general. I think they need to bring someone in to fix issues with every layer of combat, beyond just Fallout itself. I don't enjoy any weapons in this game without VATs and I don't enjoy using melee weapons at all in any Creation/Gamebryo game. Magic is usually decent and bows but there are an extremely limited amount of weapons that are fun to use without slowing down time and allowing the game to take over. I think it made sense in the past but doesn't the further we get away from needing a way to copy with shitty mechanics. Make it a perk for sniper builds.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
  1. The levelled enemies/zones system is just dumb. It means while levelling you need to stay within specific zones, which for a Bethesda Game Studios style game is highly questionable. But even worse, if a high level player is already in your questing location when you arrive there, the enemies will all have spawned to be as close to his level as they possibly can be. He might have only been passing through, and now you're left having to fight enemies dozens of levels higher than you, because game designers never considered this might be a problem. Even though ESO had to learn a very similar lesson the hard way too, and corrected it years ago with the One Tamriel update. It also means that if you're at end game level the majority of the map is useless to you because most of it is too low level to be of real value. Thankfully, One Wasteland is now being talked about to fix this issue, so it sounds like they've finally realized talking to their sister MMO studio for advice might be wise.
Man I cannot disagree more, level scaling is the bane of RPGs and i hate how Bethesda games do this now.
that example you just gave with the high lvl player passing through also sucks, but could you imagine that shit happening in a more traditional MMO? scaling the enemies at all is the issue at play here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

If they implement a "one wasteland" system like they did in ESO I am out.

One of the only positive aspects about this game is the fact that it doesn't scale the world to your level. It is so much more interesting to play in a world of dangers and unkowns while exploring.

I'll take the weird quirks that you mentioned any day over a system that just makes everything everywhere your level. That completely destroys the notion of becoming powerful, as well as making the entire aspect of exploration and risk boring and irrelevant.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm still bummed they scrapped the survival server because "no one PvPs" yet they keep the BR in. lol

Oh well, still giving this a shot and hopefully revitalizes by desire to play. I was in the minority that liked the game before this update so I'm sure this will be good.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
really? on my 1080ti am hitting below 30 all the time. max 44. at 1080p, that's whack
Try disabling vsync in the .ini, forcing it through Nvidia CP, switching to exclusive fullscreen, and dropping shadow distance to low. I'm on a 1080ti too and doing those things is getting me an almost solid 90fps at 1440p (though it drops when moving into a new cell, but that's just BGS games for you)