• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fallout-76-wastelandejljg5.jpg

Developers: Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Game Studios Austin
Release Date: April 14, 2020
Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC (Steam and Bethesda Launcher)
Size: Between 54GB and 70GB depending on your platform
Price: Free for all current Fallout 76 owners, Fallout 76 retails at $30

What is Wastelanders?
Wastelanders is the first expansion-level content drop for Fallout 76 that introduces human NPCs, new quests, dialogue options, companions, and so on. It is essentially a complete overhaul of the game. When Fallout 76 launched it was derided for mistake after mistake, bug after bug. In the time since launch Bethesda Game Studios has improved the game significantly to where it is (in my opinion) actually worth $30 if you enjoy the gameplay of Fallout 4 and the world and lore of Fallout. It isn't an exaggeration to say that Appalachia is the best world map in a Bethesda Fallout game. The game still has its bugs and server issues, but in a far more acceptable place than it was when it launched.

What can I do in Wastelanders?
In Wastelanders you will meet two factions, the nominally peaceful Settlers who just want to make a life for themselves and the antagonistic Raiders who are out for conquest and mayhem. You can do quests for both factions but at some point you will need to pick a side. You will also run into Mothman Cultists and a group called the Blood Eagles whom are allies to no one. Included is a myriad of new events, locations, enemies, and quests. You've got new NPCs that you can romance, add as a companion, guard your CAMP, and so on. There is also a reputation system with each faction.

Extra Info
Can you play alone?
Yes and no. There is no offline mode so there will always be other players in the world, however Bethesda has added instancing to the game so that quest important locations and some dungeons are instanced to you (and your party) so you can complete them without worrying about other players.

Is there still PvP? Yes, but it is entirely opt-in. You can refuse to engage with other players and griefing is essentially nonexistent.

What level do I need to be to play Wastelanders? You can start it at any level but part way through the Wastelanders quest line you will be locked out until you reach level 20, which is a fairly easy endeavor.

Should I make a new character? If you have been playing consistently, no. There are specific story nodes and dialogue for being a high level player. If you haven't played in a long time I would recommend starting fresh.

Update Notes
Below are the official update notes for Wastelanders:

Welcome to the Year 2103!
It's been a year since the door to Vault 76 rolled open on Reclamation Day. A lot has changed in Appalachia since you and other Vault Dwellers began rebuilding. There are many new people to meet and things to discover as you continue your adventures.

Here is an overview of the major additions Wastelanders brings to you:

NPCs and Dialogue
A whole host of new people have arrived in Appalachia, seeking their fortunes or just a safe place to live. These NPCs can be found all over the place. Some of them you can talk to and have interactive conversations.

• The mechanics of dialogue are similar to Fallout 3 – you have a variety of choices, S.P.E.C.I.A.L. checks, and options available to you contextually.
  • A single player response can have any number of choices available, if there are more choices than fit the display you can scroll down to see them all.
  • Additionally, full conversations have been added to many of the original NPCs of Fallout 76—characters like Rose, MODUS, and the Grafton Mayor (and more) can be engaged in dialogue.
Click here to read our article to learn more about dialogue and conversations in Wastelanders.

A New Main Quest
The arrival of new people in Appalachia means there are many new adventures to be had. Wastelanders brings an entirely new story to Fallout 76 that you can uncover and explore as you complete new main quests.

• Just outside of Vault 76, you can dive into the Wastelanders story and meet Lacey and Isela, who will guide you to experience the Wayward quest line.
  • At level 20, the full main quest opens in Sutton. It will get you acquainted with the two largest factions in Appalachia – the Raiders and Settlers.
    • During the Main Quest you will have to pick which side you work with, but for quite some time you can do quests for both factions until you hit a point of no return.
  • The original Fallout 76 main quest is still available, but expect new touches of life. Both with new NPCs and full dialogue with existing NPCs.
  • Please Note:To accommodate new quests and story content, some new no-C.A.M.P. zones have been added to locations in the world.
    • If your C.A.M.P. was in one of these areas and can no longer be placed, you will be notified on joining a world, and you will be able to move your C.A.M.P. for free.
The Raiders
The Raiders are in part survivors that fled Appalachia, who have now returned to reclaim land they believe is rightfully theirs. They've built a base of operations, called Crater, at the Crashed Space Station.

• Initially, if you encounter Raiders in the wild they will be hostile and attack you. Even in Crater, expect a chilly reception—their vendors won't deal with you, and they'll bring the opposite of the welcome wagon.
  • Eventually, you will learn more about them and can broker a peace with them (and if you want, their friendship in time).
The Settlers
The Settlers are a collection of survivors gathered by some construction workers from the Washington D.C. area. When they heard there was land, they caravanned to Appalachia and repurposed existing structures at Spruce Knob to construct Foundation.

• The Settlers are happy to speak and trade with you right away. Like the Raiders, you can get to know the Settlers better over time and become an ally to them.
  • Ward will offer a Daily Quest that can help you make a good impression with these new-comers.
Read our article about Wastelanders Factions to learn more about the Settlers and the Raiders.

Gold Bullion and Faction Reputation
Wastelanders features some new exciting weapons, armors, and other items. You can unlock these items via the new Gold Bullion system.

• After completing the Main Quest, you will gain access to Gold Bullion, a new in-game currency.
    • Gold Bullion can be gathered by exchanging Treasury Notes at Gold Press Machines, up to a daily limit.
    • Treasury Notes can be earned from Wastelanders daily quests and by completing Public Events.
    • Gold Bullion can also be purchased directly from a vendor in the Wayward using Caps, up to a weekly limit.
  • There are three Gold Bullion Vendors: One at Crater, one at Foundation, and another in a location you'll unlock during the main story. Each vendor will offer you a different set of new Wastelanders items in exchange for Gold Bullion.
Faction Reputation
  • Some of the Wastelanders gear is only available as you become better friends with the Settlers and Raiders through the new Reputation System.
    • Gain reputation with these factions by completing story quests for them, making in-game decisions, and by doing their daily quests.
    • Items you can get this way include weapons like the Gauss Shotgun or Gauss Minigun, C.A.M.P. items like Farmable Tiles, and even the yummy Appalachia treat—Pepperoni Rolls, among others.
  • Read our article about the Wastelanders Reputation System to learn more.
Allies
Another exciting addition to Wastelanders, Allies are NPCs you will encounter in the world who can move into your C.A.M.P., help protect it, and keep you company.

• Allies also provide adventuring opportunities through daily quests they offer.
  • Two of the Allies are unique. Both have a mini-quest line, romance opportunities, and offer the chance to really get to know some interesting characters.
    • Once you reach level 10, strike out to the Ash Heap or the Mire in order to meet them!
  • Learn more by reading our article about Allies in Wastelanders.
Repeatable Events and Daily Quests
Event: Riding Shotgun
  • Riding Shotgun is a new event at Big Bend Tunnel East. Take part by speaking with Vinny Costa near the entrance to the Tunnel. He offers the event every so often, so check in with him regularly if you want to help him out.
    • Merchants from the Blue Ridge Caravan want to pass through Big Bend Tunnel with their wares, but devious Blood Eagles are lying in wait, hoping to make an easy score.
    • Successfully defend the Caravan as the merchants make their way through the Tunnel, and you will be handsomely rewarded.
Public Event: Radiation Rumble
  • Radiation Rumble is a challenging new Public Event that will appear on the map at Emmett Mountain Disposal Site.
    • A group of Scavengers have set their sights on mining the precious ore found deep within Emmett Mountain Disposal Site, but they've been backed into a corner by treacherous glowing creatures.
    • Balance your time between defending the Scavengers and venturing out to help them mine ore, and they'll give you a stake in the profits—but remember wear your Hazmat Suit!
Catch additional details about the new Wastelanders Events in this article.

New Daily Quests
  • There are four new daily quests available in Wastelanders: Two from the Raiders at Crater, one from the Settlers at Foundation, and one more that you'll discover as you play through main story quests.
    • The Raider dailies alternate, with one of the two available to you each day.
    • All four dailies can be completed to earn Treasury Notes, XP, Caps, and some loot.
    • Daily quests from the Raiders and the Settlers will also award you with some reputation for your efforts.
New Enemies
Floaters
  • Floaters are returning creatures from previous Fallout games. They come in three variations: Flamer, Freezer, and Chomper.
  • They aren't particularly tough, but when they swarm in with their Super Mutant brethren, they can really change a battle.
Wendigo Colossus
  • The elusive Wendigo Colossus is a terrifying monstrosity rumored to only rear its head in areas hit by atomic fire.
  • They are seriously tough, and even a hearty adventurer will find it challenging to square off with one alone. If you plan to hunt down a Wendigo Colossus bring friends—lots of them!
Blood Eagles
  • Bloodthirsty and cruel, the Blood Eagles are a group of human miscreants fueled by chems, who treat the Wasteland like their personal playground.
  • Even more frightening are their numbers. Bands of Blood Eagles have sprung up throughout Appalachia, so keep your weapons close and be ready to defend yourself.
Cult of the Mothman
  • No one is quite sure what these mysterious cultists are up to, but they've recently begun inhabiting a few existing locations in Appalachia.
  • Stay on your guard if you encounter these cultists in the wild. You can be sure that they won't let you or anyone else get in the way of their. . . rituals.
Explore New and Updated Locations
  • We've created a number of new locations that you will discover, such as the Watoga Underground, The Deep, The Wayward, new Blood Eagle and Mothman Cultist camps, and more.
  • Additionally, with the return of people to Appalachia, many have already left their mark on the world. They've transformed many existing locations, like the Crashed Space Station, Spruce Knob, and WV Lumber Co., among others, to better suit their needs.
old.reddit.com

Fallout 76: Wastelanders Update Notes – April 14, 2020

Welcome to Wastelanders, our biggest update for Fallout 76 yet! It brings an entirely new main story, including many quests to the game, as well...

76_WST_ReputationDetails.jpg

phja4.jpg

fo76_wl_wendigo.0vkkxa.png

mortjgjtu.jpg

Last edited:

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you read my OP you'll see that they have turned it around.
I did, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm still not convinced and I'm going to check it out myself since I own the game but didn't touch it past the first week. I hope I'll enjoy it like you do.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I love Fallout 4 and now Fallout 76 seems like a pretty good package. I'm considering getting it now. Does it require you to play with other people?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I actually commend them for continuing to invest and improve the game. It would have been just as easy to ditch the game altogether, or at the least, not add NPC content. I'm looking forward to checking it out today

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Call me a masochist, but I'm tempted to give this game another chance.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Always want to come back and try again. But I was burned pretty bad at launch. Glitches and crashes everywhere. I was doing the launch sequence at the end of the game, it crashed and put me outside the silo. Went through a ton of ammo and supplies getting as far as I did, and it was all reset.

I quit that day. Sold it for like $40. Then my gf wanted to get back into it, so we recently bought copies for $4 each (lol). Went to start the game up after all the patches and turns out my account was banned. Contacted support and it wasn't actually banned apparently, I just had to redownload the entire game and try again (the message I was getting was literally can't login, account suspended or some thing )

It ended up working. But at that point we were both quite turned off.

Might try again, quarantine has us trying out new things all the time

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This looks really promising, so much that I bought the game just for this. Can't wait to play it later today!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious to see impressions of this. The Steam version will still be Steam refundable, right?

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Cool, but I have to wonder if it'll be worth it. I can't imagine haphazardly adding NPCs into a game that wasn't supposed to have them because of massive backlash will result in... you know, actually good NPCs. Guessing the questlines will be quite shallow and short, but happy to be proven wrong.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if I should bother with the Steam version or just stick to the Bethesda launcher. It's not an amazing launcher but I do get waaay better download speeds. I'm reinstalling the game at 34 MB/Sec.

I like Steam for the time played but IIRC the game already tracks time played in-game.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I got to like level 20 and stopped 2 weeks after launch and never played it again

This sounds like the time to start up again.

Is there enough new content that I should start a new character?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Saw a video of this last week by MrMattyPlays and he mentioned that you have to be quite a high level to take these quests on. So it's great for those that have played the main game a lot, for newcomers not so much.

I am the latter, I love Fallout but couldn't bring myself to take on these quests.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually commend them for continuing to invest and improve the game. It would have been just as easy to ditch the game altogether, or at the least, not add NPC content. I'm looking forward to checking it out today

There was definitely a vocal sentiment after launch that the best thing Bethesda could do with this game was put a bullet in it and apologise.

I guess many would stop short of "commending" Bethesda for anything related to Fallout 76, but I'm definitely "pleasantly surprised" they've worked on this as much as they appear to have. I've bought the game on the basis of blind hope that it's worth checking out now so I'm definitely excited to see what's going on.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone playing on ps4? I've jumped back into the game since the last triple xp period. I'm only level 30 or so but would love to party up with some people. :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Fallout 4 and now Fallout 76 seems like a pretty good package. I'm considering getting it now. Does it require you to play with other people?
There will always be other people in the overworld, but they added a ton of locations that are instanced to you and your party, so you can talk to NPCs and stuff without worrying about other people.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This actually looks substantial and has me considering picking it up. I wish they would do another free weekend.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Like many games as a service it was a botched launch that was followed up with tremedous support. Glad to see them not giving up, wish Bioware did as much effort.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Would I be crazy if I played this before playing 4? Lol I have both games but haven't found the time to play either. I played the beta for 76 and liked it. I'm a huge falllout fan. 3 and new vegas are some of my favorite games of all time.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Cool, but I have to wonder if it'll be worth it. I can't imagine haphazardly adding NPCs into a game that wasn't supposed to have them because of massive backlash will result in... you know, actually good NPCs. Guessing the questlines will be quite shallow and short, but happy to be proven wrong.

Folks have compared it in size to one of the larger dlc packs like Far Harbor. So it's got a decent amount of content but it's still not like an entirely full game of npcs and dialogue. But it's a start if anything if they keep adding onto it with more content like this. It's also part of the story, that people are coming back to Appalachia and trying to resettle it, so theres only a few settlements built up so far. The game wasn't built from the ground up for this so yea it's not gonna be like a full on packed Fallout game with npcs

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'll be giving it a go. I really, really want them to turn this around because I love Fallout and I don't want the name to remain tarnished. Although if this feels like nothing but a content update, I don't think this will work out because the big issues I had were all bug related. I even controversially think 76 would be a good game if it just worked.

Also considering how big this update sounds I feel like I stole the game because I only bought it for $9.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I'll be giving it a go. I really, really want them to turn this around because I love Fallout and I don't want the name to remain tarnished. Although if this feels like nothing but a content update, I don't think this will work out because the big issues I had were all bug related. I even controversially think 76 would be a good game if it just worked.

Also considering how big this update sounds I feel like I stole the game because I only bought it for $9.

They have fixed lot of bugs in the game since launch. The engine is wonky still but its similar to FO4 with how glitchy it is. As for being a content update, well yea it is, it's a very large one but they aren't going to make a whole new fallout game in only a few months. This didn't start getting worked on for months after the initial launch and not part of the original content plans. Folks say it's similar in scale/size to the larger FO DLC packs

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I got a copy from a friend and played an hour or two a while back and never continued. Seems like a good time to finally give it a fair shake.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
They have fixed lot of bugs in the game since launch. The engine is wonky still but its similar to FO4 with how glitchy it is. As for being a content update, well yea it is, it's a very large one but they aren't going to make a whole new fallout game in only a few months. This didn't start getting worked on for months after the initial launch and not part of the original content plans. Folks say it's similar in scale/size to the larger FO DLC packs
Bethesda has gone on record to say work on the foundations of what ultimately became Wastelanders started shortly after Fallout 76 launched, so it wasn't a few months of work.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
So as well as adding NPCs to the game, does it actually accommodate for RPG gameplay like stat checks or is it just a bunch of fetch quests?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
They have fixed lot of bugs in the game since launch. The engine is wonky still but its similar to FO4 with how glitchy it is. As for being a content update, well yea it is, it's a very large one but they aren't going to make a whole new fallout game in only a few months. This didn't start getting worked on for months after the initial launch and not part of the original content plans.
I played Fallout 4 for over 300 hours and played the main game and DLC all day one. In that time, I only encountered a few of the bugs that I would run into every couple hours in Fallout 76. I didn't even play 76 on day one either, I played it for a week around six months ago.

They are not similar in how glitchy they are.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
There will always be other people in the overworld, but they added a ton of locations that are instanced to you and your party, so you can talk to NPCs and stuff without worrying about other people.

If I'm not mistaken you can play on your own server called Fallout 1st but it's expensive.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Bethesda has gone on record to say work on the foundations of what ultimately became Wastelanders started shortly after Fallout 76 launched, so it wasn't a few months of work.

The adding of NPCS was not in the original plans though and work was being done on the previous content updates before this went fully into production. From some of the earlier preview images of their road map something was planned but they never went into it, plus from what some recall it looked like we were maybe gonna get robot related content update, I wouldn't be surprised if we were gonna have some of the similar ideas being done with robo npc and companions.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will come back here to read some impressions.
Hopefully they finally made a proper Fallout game after 1,5 years

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So for anyone playing....

Do you have to be a high level for the Wastelanders stuff or not necessarily? I barely played the main game because of the fetch quest, no NPCs and things like that.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The adding of NPCS was not in the original plans though and work was being done on the previous content updates before this went fully into production. From some of the earlier preview images of their road map something was planned but they never went into it, plus from what some recall it looked like we were maybe gonna get robot related content update, I wouldn't be surprised if we were gonna have some of the similar ideas being done with robo npc and companions.
Sure, they weren't planning to add NPCs prior to the game's launch, they also said it became clear to them after launch that NPCs were huge part of what made Fallout (their Perception is obviously very low), so they started working on it. I honestly think they put their backs into it, because as soon as E3 2019, when they announced Wastelanders, they actually had footage of the new content to show, and that was just between October 2018 and June 2019. It has been another ten months since.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
So as well as adding NPCs to the game, does it actually accommodate for RPG gameplay like stat checks or is it just a bunch of fetch quests?

It does, conversation response choices are tied your SPECIAL stats

I got to like level 20 and stopped 2 weeks after launch and never played it again

This sounds like the time to start up again.

Is there enough new content that I should start a new character?

i wouldn't. you can start wastelanders content on a new toon but after the intro parts there's a level 20 gate so you'd need to get yourself up to 20 anyway to continue playing WL content

Last edited:

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
There was definitely a vocal sentiment after launch that the best thing Bethesda could do with this game was put a bullet in it and apologise.

I guess many would stop short of "commending" Bethesda for anything related to Fallout 76, but I'm definitely "pleasantly surprised" they've worked on this as much as they appear to have. I've bought the game on the basis of blind hope that it's worth checking out now so I'm definitely excited to see what's going on.
Ya I think that's a better word "pleasantly surprised". I myself would not have blinked twice if they just let it slowly die and not try to fix a lot of things

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Loaded up the game (though don't have time to start the new content) and I forgot how amazing the lighting is. Like maybe I'm easily impressed but despite the not so great textures, the lighting can really enhance the scene.

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
Loaded up the game (though don't have time to start the new content) and I forgot how amazing the lighting is. Like maybe I'm easily impressed but despite the not so great textures, the lighting can really enhance the scene.
They made further lighting improvements with the patch apparently. It was in the notes.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, I'll try it. Even at launch I never thought 76 was remotely as bad as everyone made it out to be, for what it was it was very enjoyable especially with friends, biggest complaint then was the very restrictive weight limits at base, but I suppose that's been fixed by now? Sounds like this adds pretty much everything else that was missing in the first place, pretty cool.