• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018

Steel Dawn is the first chapter in the new Brotherhood of Steel questline, free for Fallout 76 players. Paladin Leila Rahmani and her troops have arrived from California to establish a new Appalachian chapter. Work with or against the other Factions to achieve success. Visit settlements populated with new NPCs and unlock powerful weapons and armor from the Brotherhood arsenal. Join in their mission to rebuild society and aid in securing valuable technology – but only you can determine how it will be used. Coming December 2020

FO76-Wastelanders-SteelDawn_Screens_01-AtlasFullShot_WM.jpg

FO76-Wastelanders-SteelDawn_Screens_01-GroupShotBahemoth_WM.jpg

Ad Victoriam! The Brotherhood of Steel is planning to return to Appalachia this December with our Steel Dawn Update for Fallout 76. Led by Paladin Rahmani, this Brotherhood outfit's objectives currently remain unclear. However, they will certainly be looking to you for a debrief on the current state of Appalachia, and to lend a helping hand with their endeavors. You will learn much more about the Brotherhood as you take on a variety of new quests that are coming with the Steel Dawn update—but that is only the beginning. You will be able to explore the story further in 2021 with even more Brotherhood of Steel quests that we are planning to release with future updates.

Along with the new quests, the Steel Dawn Update will bring new NPCs, new locations, and new gear to the game. It will also add features, like C.A.M.P. Shelters, a host of rewards, including weapons, armor, and C.A.M.P. Plans, the return of the Holiday Scorched Seasonal Event, and a variety of additional gameplay improvements. If you own a PC copy of Fallout 76 through Bethesda.net, you can head to the Public Test Server right now to join us in playtesting and sharing your feedback on everything mentioned above. If you do, be sure to post your thoughts in the PTS forum.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super tempted to try this out as a single player game but I have no idea if the DLC is worth it

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I'm super tempted to try this out as a single player game but I have no idea if the DLC is worth it

At this point it's the best Fallout game since New Vegas, don't @ me. The living world and customization/build options are a ton of fun. I just wish FO 1st wasn't basically a requirement (the QOL improvements are HUGE).

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I wish more people would give this game a shot. It had a rough start, but it's really become a solid game, definitely worthy of the Fallout name.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
This looks interesting might check it out if it's decent as a single player experience I pretty much dropped the game immediately at launch.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
This game has come a long way. I hope they put out a PS5 patch/version. It isn't a very good experience on PS4, and it would be nice to be able to play at 60 FPS.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
At this point it's the best Fallout game since New Vegas, don't @ me. The living world and customization/build options are a ton of fun. I just wish FO 1st wasn't basically a requirement (the QOL improvements are HUGE).

Isn't there only 1 game between this and New Vegas lol? Unless you count that mobile game no one remembers. You're just saying it's better than Fallout 4

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Glad they're adding more and more content to this game.

Really enjoyed wastelanders and have picked it up once again.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, a Bethesda thread at Era that isn't already a dumpster fire six posts in!!

I wish they would find a way to play an instanced version of F76 where I can go back to the quiet solitude of the OG game and turn on NPCs when I want to. Probably a big ask.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I wish more people would give this game a shot. It had a rough start, but it's really become a solid game, definitely worthy of the Fallout name.
Is there a story that's compelling to follow or is it just kinda like "make numbers go bigger and wander around the map doing random things?"
It's on gamepass and we are nearing the end of Wastland 3, me and a friend are wondering if this is worth co-oping?

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
My only question: In the lore of the series, does the BoS even exist at this point in the timeline? And even if they do, aren't they still out in California?

Is this just a handwave thing?

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually hadn't realized until now that the BoS weren't in the game. Cool that they're finally being added.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
My only question: In the lore of the series, does the BoS even exist at this point in the timeline? And even if they do, aren't they still out in California?

I thought that NV had established that the California brotherhood was pushed out? If anything, shouldn't it be the east coast one?

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a story that's compelling to follow or is it just kinda like "make numbers go bigger and wander around the map doing random things?"
It's on gamepass and we are nearing the end of Wastland 3, me and a friend are wondering if this is worth co-oping?
The recent Wastelanders update does add a more concrete story with more characters to interact with. Many of the quests are the same, but it adds better context for it all. So many of the existing places have more story and characters to talk with.

It's like night and day in comparison to the original release. It really does feel like a proper Fallout game now. It's also a fun co-op game, there's a lot of fun with just exploring with a friend.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this game gets a next gen patch too, I've just gotten back into it again and it's a fun world to explore.

Nov 2, 2019
Never played this at launch but have since Gamepass. It's been a great experience. Obviously it's a bit different due to the online nature, but I've been soloing it and there's plenty to do and see. The hate this game still gets is just unfounded. You can get mad at how they released it but they're pulling a No Man's Sky and turning it around.

Ceileachair

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing for a month or so, single player. Having a ton of fun, it's great. The living world is living, I love taking out a fortified areas from a roof top, then hearing gunshots on the other side and seeing a player helping out after it's over and tipping their hat and going on there marry way.

What I wanna mention is the shadow of objects cast onto moving smoke, although a little low res is a really cool effect.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the Series X version gets a boost like FO4. I've played a bunch on PC but it's not really stable, but really want to play more

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm doing a playthrough of the Bethesda Fallouts right now because I keep neglecting them for New Vegas so I'm looking forward to revisiting 76 soonish.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
76 is on sale right now I think. I was going to grab it by the weekend, this is just icing on the cake.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I played this as a single player game after the Wastelanders update in early-mid 2020. Over 300 hours I think

Was the best Fallout since...2 to me. Like a hybrid of the conveniences and scope of 4 with the dialogue and witty things from 1 and 2.

I do wonder if im better just waiting for the Series X patch in order to return for more, as the load times are a bit annoying. Performance is great otherwise in the One X.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I've dabbled with this game a little bit around launch, but struggled and eventually fell out. I never really super got invested. But is the whole thing supposed to be playable solo? I remember struggling on some quests and it seemed impossible to do solo. I've been wanting to get back into it

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Part of the game story involves discovering early creation of the BoS and sorta goes into why there is different factions of BoS around the US that we see later

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
are there any hidden vaults to explore, similar in scope to the 3/NV vaults? i've barely started, wondering if i should keep going. the eating/drinking requirements were an immediate buzzkill.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
So I'm still rough on the timeline here. The Brotherhood of Steel was around this early after the bombs? Or is it just because we've ditched the previous lore that we're just doing it for the sake of the game?

I remember FO4 and 76 playing with the lore a bit but for some reason I thought that 76 was the soonest after the bombs we've had and that's why they tried to justify the no factions thing, and now we have factions? Maybe I misremembered.

Either way the Wastelanders update was solid when I briefly played it before, but I still want private servers (I know there was some issues at launch) and mod support personally.

The first quests alone in the update were better than anything I played previously in FO76, but I still worry about the grindy/online parts of it, and the cash shop is still pretty shite. I just don't like the hunger/thirst/survival mechanics as that's not what I play FO for personally.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm still rough on the timeline here. The Brotherhood of Steel was around this early after the bombs? Or is it just because we've ditched the previous lore that we're just doing it for the sake of the game?

I remember FO4 and 76 playing with the lore a bit but for some reason I thought that 76 was the soonest after the bombs we've had and that's why they tried to justify the no factions thing, and now we have factions? Maybe I misremembered.

Either way the Wastelanders update was solid when I briefly played it before, but I still want private servers (I know there was some issues at launch) and mod support personally.

The first quests alone in the update were better than anything I played previously in FO76, but I still worry about the grindy/online parts of it, and the cash shop is still pretty shite. I just don't like the hunger/thirst/survival mechanics as that's not what I play FO for personally.
Yes, the established lore noted that the BoS was first organized within about 20 or so years after the bombs dropped. They had been around for a long while by the time Fallout 1-4 all take place.

All of the factions in vanilla F76 were killed off by the scorched plague.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yes, the established lore noted that the BoS was first organized within about 20 or so years after the bombs dropped. They had been around for a long while by the time Fallout 1-4 all take place.

All of the factions in vanilla F76 were killed off by the scorched plague.
And that wasn't retconned that was established before? Neato.

Sorry I realized after posting you all had been discussing that already.

Interesting then. I remember stopping because it felt like it took forever to get a laser weapon (my personal favorite type of weapon) after playing a bit of the new quests. I might give it another shot after I'm done with my most recent modded FO4 playthrough.

I like 76 but the survival elements and such just haven't appealed to me but that's probably because I'm stuck playing solo mostly because my friends all turned tail and ran (rightfully so) after the launch and won't come back.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
Downloading..is there a 76 OT? Might need some advice getting started.

www.resetera.com

Fallout 76: Wastelanders |OT| Building a Better Future in West Virginia

Developers: Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Game Studios Austin Release Date: April 14, 2020 Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC (Steam and Bethesda Launcher) Size: Between 54GB and 70GB depending on your platform Price: Free for all current Fallout 76 owners, Fallout 76 retails at $30...