• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 4 is better than 3.

Just putting it out there.
Well. That's an opinion. 4 is what made me skip this game, and I'm so glad I did. I'm a notorious hoarder of consumables in games so I minimized power armour time in 4 until the end. 4 shouldn't have shot its load with power armour action so early.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
The engine conversation is actually a bit more amusing to me in the wake of the Kotaku article and even my own comments on that topic. I think Fallout 76 might actually have some of the first signs of them digging into some of the systemic engine issues that they shirked investing into for Skyrim and Fallout 4. For one they seem to actually be properly using raw mouse input; both Skyrim and Fallout 4 have less than ideal mouse input translation (particularly Skyrim at launch) whereas mouse input feels perfectly clean in 76. It's also the first desktop PC game where they seem to have finally conquered the calculation issues being tied to the frame buffer; I don't know if that is knock-on effect of their VR port work (as someone mentioned to me in the 76 OT here) but this is the first PC port of theirs on this pipeline where we can actually play the game properly above 60 FPS with the latest 76 patch.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The technical issues are the only criticism i canan agree on with this game and they honestly haven't been that bad on PS4 Pro

I love everything else about the game so far and the smear campaign seems about as embarrassing as the one against Pokemon Go

If this is a 6/10 game then gaming has come a long ass way apparently cuz this is my favorite 6/10 game of the year

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
The technical issues are the only criticism i canan agree on with this game and they honestly haven't been that bad on PS4 Pro

I love everything else about the game so far and the smear campaign seems about as embarrassing as the one against Pokemon Go

If this is a 6/10 game then gaming has come a long ass way apparently cuz this is my favorite 6/10 game of the year

I have to tend to agree. It doesn't feel like content is lacking for me like it did with (vanilla) Destiny. I'm not sure if the gameplay loop is just better or what though.

The technical issues are inexcusable, but in terms of the gameplay, it feels like how I'd imagine an online version of Fallout feeling like. The quests are designed in such a way to fit that mold.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...

I have to tend to agree. It doesn't feel like content is lacking for me like it did with (vanilla) Destiny. I'm not sure if the gameplay loop is just better or what though.

The technical issues are inexcusable, but in terms of the gameplay, it feels like how I'd imagine an online version of Fallout feeling like. The quests are designed in such a way to fit that mold.
Just because a game has a horrid meta and is almost universally panned doesn't mean having fun with it is banned. If it's fun for you, just go play it. I'd venture pretty much everyone has a story of games they loved that had bad receptions. You do you.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
This game...

JeMj1Zm.gif

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

On the PS4, Fallout 76 definitely isn't a 6/10 game.

It's a 4.9/10 game.

Also "smear campaign", that's rich.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 3 and 4 are just Elder Scrolls reskins honestly. New Vegaw however really escapes that with it's writing and gameplay, despite using the same engine.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

It's not a good game, and it deserves the scores it's getting. It's interesting that you brought up Pokémon Let's Go because that's a prime example of a game getting mixed reactions when announced and actually turning out good. And of course, surprise surprise it's reviewing well!

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
It's amazing how big publications are avoiding to criticize this game as much as possible, it is laughable. Then they complain when people called them bias...

Alex

Oct 27, 2017
It is nice to see more critical reviews, for a change, reading a few I'm literally seeing attempts to clarify mechanical short fallings that I flat out do not see that much lately. While Bethesda doesn't have the shine to roll with the flashier pack, it is a little tiring watching so many forgettable or even regressive games this gen scooping up superlative praise on literally nothing but visual polish and marketing hype.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Better graphics and gunplay. Still feel like 3 was the better RPG and better fallout game.

NV looks considerably worse than 3.

No it doesn't lol. The actual Mojave is a little uglier than the capital wasteland when looking at it from a highpoint but the rest of the game looks the same or better.

New Vegas is better than 76.

New Vegas is the best Fallout, so yeah.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

Lol my favorite fanboy defense mechanism line

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a good game, and it deserves the scores it's getting. It's interesting that you brought up Pokémon Let's Go because that's a prime example of a game getting mixed reactions when announced and actually turning out good. And of course, surprise surprise it's reviewing well!

I was giving my opinion, but thank you for making it for me!

I wasn't agreeing with the comments on a smear campaign, otherwise I wouldn't describe the technical issues as inexcusable.

Last edited:

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
New Vegas is the best RPG in the past 15 years. Witcher 3 is garbage compared to New Vegas.

Comparing Fallout 4 to New Vegas instead of Fallout 3 is unfair.

You've mirrored my thoughts.

Though, in my defense, the first open world game that I played was from Bethesda... Most open world games that I've played, were from Bethesda.

So, that's all the frame of reference that I have for comparisons.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I'm most curious how Microsoft, perhaps Pihl Spencer, feels right now. They didn't pay Bethesda money for a marketing exclusive deal to get this result in return. Whether you like the game or not the general consensus around Fallout 76 is not good.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm most curious how Microsoft, perhaps Pihl Spencer, feels right now. They didn't pay Bethesda money for a marketing exclusive deal to get this result in return. Whether you like the game or not the general consensus around Fallout 76 is not good.

Well, Starfield will be a harder sell for sure. "This is unlike anything we've ever done before" is now a red flag.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are there not more reviews counted for this? Why is this not being treated like a major release with every major outlet providing coverage?

Is the meta critic review count going to stay like this?

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

Fallout 76 would have been a great Game Pass game, but at the time I'm not sure if Bethesda thought it would get this reception. The game has changed in how buggy your game can be. There's a higher standard now and hopefully Bethesda learns and improves.

More to your point, I feel Starfield will sell well regardless. It'll be marketed as the "new IP from the makers of Skyrim" so that'll drum up interest. A Microsoft exclusive marketing deal there will be beneficial.

I think there's a good game in FO76, but it's so mired with technical issues that it feels like a $60 early access game. They really needed to make sure an online game like this was as polished as possible.

Last edited:

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There is no smear campaign or conspiracy here - just a bad game that you happen to enjoy. That's it.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I guess theoretically it wouldn't be too hard for them to add a bunch of NPC robots out in the world with unique, interesting quests.

Would just require the investment in creating that content, manpower which unfortunately has likely already been allocated to finishing the DLC Vaults.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are these people intentionally ignoring all the bugs and technical problems others are having with the game or what..

Probably.

But even if the game was bug free, a fully functional game is just that, functional. It could be the most polished game there is and still be a bad game. It could even not be a bad game and people are still allowed to not like it. At least with such a buggy game the silly 'objective review' argument is out the window, i hope. We went straight to the smear campaign part.

Next come the theories that all these reviewers were bought by Bethesda's competition or something. Maybe someone infiltrated BGS's headquarters and dropped a bag of bugs and bad decisions on the game's code.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna play Far Harbor for the first time at Christmas. How long is it?

Is the Nuka World DLC any good?

It has a good amount of content. Length of the story depends on your choices, really. Its overall size is about in between Dragonborn and Shivering Isles.

Nuka World ain't so good if you're not interested in being a raider, but it has cool environments to explore.

Oct 25, 2017

I get it from the standpoint that the shooting is a bit better, but I think everything else about Fallout 3 is better.

I also was voracious in playing Fallout 3 to the point that I immediately bought all DLC (and the same goes for NV), but I beat Fallout 4, put it down, and never picked it up again.

I get that it's not as easy as saying that Bethesda should just "fix" the engine; obviously, it's doing so many complex things that it would need a complete teardown. However, after the reception for FO76, maybe it's time to put Fallout on ice for a bit and maybe build FO5 from the ground up?

My big worry looking forward at Fallout is that the writing will never be nearly as great as it was in New Vegas again. FO2 and NV in particular are these immersive worlds with amazing stories, both overarching and small within the niches of the worlds that they inhabit, and FO3 is goofy popcorn fun and FO4 is actively bad. Like, I come to FO not only for the Wasteland tour, but also to think about what I'm doing and the ideas that the game offers.